ADVERTISEMENT

DGL n NIL

The way this weekend shook out id be shocked if Gibbs-Lawhorn ever puts on a Purdue uniform.

Hate the be pessimistic but he looks like someone that wants to get paid. I could easily see him backing out and going to wherever offers him the most $$$
and exactly why shouldn't he get paid? he has a skill that's marketable and is at 99+%tile. why exactly shouldn't get paid

It’s probably for another discussion but I hate the NIL, it’s killing college sports and anyone who doesn’t see that is short sighted
what we had in the past was grossly exploitative. NCAA had all the time in the world to address it before their hands got forced.
I can't argue against a free-market solution

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
While I don’t disagree that NCAA is a gutless turd this solution is completed ****ed
good luck coming up with a solution now that will stand legal challenges. we are in the nearly free-market era of college sports. Let's see how it shakes out.
The positive for me is that student athletes compensation will inch closer to their market value. That's a win for me. Probably less money for coaches, and facility development.

good luck coming up with a solution now that will stand legal challenges. we are in the nearly free-market era of college sports. Let's see how it shakes out.
The positive for me is that student athletes compensation will inch closer to their market value. That's a win for me. Probably less money for coaches, and facility development.
And fans

Reactions: Bethboilerfan
If we are going to get out our wallets, he’d be a good one to splurge on. He’s pretty damn good. He’s the slasher that could make us really good. I know everyone is excited about Colvin (as they should be) but I think DGL is special.

The way this weekend shook out id be shocked if Gibbs-Lawhorn ever puts on a Purdue uniform.

Hate the be pessimistic but he looks like someone that wants to get paid. I could easily see him backing out and going to wherever offers him the most $$$
We will know by November what the future of Purdue basketball is going to look like, when DGL and Colvin sign with us, or don’t.

Reactions: Boiler Buck
We will know by November what the future of Purdue basketball is going to look like, when DGL and Colvin sign with us, or don’t.
I’m not worried about Colvin as much. The family has money and deep ties to Purdue.

No offense to DGL, but I think he isn’t going to get the interest for big money. He wasn’t getting the offers he wanted. I think for a huge NIL offer you’d need to be in the top 50 and have some unique qualities. I don’t see DGL Getting more than a 100k offer. He’s not a proven guy. He really has upside but he also has an injury history and has moved around a lot. If he does decommit, I wouldn’t be stunned. I’m just saying if you’re moving you’re entire family across the country you don’t normally do that for peanuts. I thought his whole family was moving back to WL area.

What exactly makes him “look like someone that wants to get paid”?

I’m not worried about Colvin as much. The family has money and deep ties to Purdue.

No offense to DGL, but I think he isn’t going to get the interest for big money. He wasn’t getting the offers he wanted. I think for a huge NIL offer you’d need to be in the top 50 and have some unique qualities. I don’t see DGL Getting more than a 100k offer. He’s not a proven guy. He really has upside but he also has an injury history and has moved around a lot. If he does decommit, I wouldn’t be stunned. I’m just saying if you’re moving you’re entire family across the country you don’t normally do that for peanuts. I thought his whole family was moving back to WL area.
Even worse he could come in to Purdue, have a great freshman year and parlay that into what Tyrese Hunter is doing

Even worse he could come in to Purdue, have a great freshman year and parlay that into what Tyrese Hunter is doing
Maybe. I think a guy like that thinks he can be in the NBA in 2 years maybe 3. Once you get the guy on campus, you’re in pretty good shape. If the guy is happy and the team is good, it probably helps.

IMO the guys that are jumping aren’t NBA ready or quality. Cockburn might be a perfect example had he stayed.

Maybe. I think a guy like that thinks he can be in the NBA in 2 years maybe 3. Once you get the guy on campus, you’re in pretty good shape. If the guy is happy and the team is good, it probably helps.

IMO the guys that are jumping aren’t NBA ready or quality. Cockburn might be a perfect example had he stayed.
IMO, Cockburn staying isn't a matter of not being NBA ready or quality -- his style just doesn't fit in today's NBA.

I was worried Zach was gonna hit the portal
for a big payday. Surprised he's not checking
out the draft. Bet Zach hits the portal next
year to rake in some dough before trying the NBA.

I don’t know the young man, and could be totally wrong, but that doesn’t seem to be in his DNA. Testing the NBA waters - yes. Bailing for NIL money - no. Again, I may just be naive

what we had in the past was grossly exploitative. NCAA had all the time in the world to address it before their hands got forced.
I can't argue against a free-market solution
A free market solution wouldn’t involve scholarships for non revenue sports, which includes any women’s sports. I think that’s a real shame.

A free market solution wouldn’t involve scholarships for non revenue sports, which includes any women’s sports. I think that’s a real shame.
why should it be revenue students athlete taking a cut in compensation in order to subsidize student-athletes in non-marketable sports. Why not the athletic department or the coaches of revenue sports or have JPC members directly funding those.
If the university and fans want to keep those non-revenue sports, let them fund it themselves and stop robbing Peter to pay Paul

why should it be revenue students athlete taking a cut in compensation in order to subsidize student-athletes in non-marketable sports. Why not the athletic department or the coaches of revenue sports or have JPC members directly funding those.
If the university and fans want to keep those non-revenue sports, let them fund it themselves and stop robbing Peter to pay Paul
It’s not that easy with Title IX legislation. What you’re suggesting would be illegal and there would be countless gender-related lawsuits for discrimination.

I don’t know the young man, and could be totally wrong, but that doesn’t seem to be in his DNA. Testing the NBA waters - yes. Bailing for NIL money - no. Again, I may just be naive
Agree! I think Zach loves the culture here and CMP. If, he left for a big pay day that didn't include the NBA it would be surprising.

Interesting to think that Ivey might be our last lottery pick that didn't include a big payday in college.

I read in another thread that Zach is on a type of visa that does not allow him to receive NIL money. I was unable to find what type of visa or if is just because it is Canada with different rules or something else.

Reactions: SKYDOG
Why not the athletic department or the coaches of revenue sports or have JPC members directly funding those.
Where do you think the Athletic Department is getting their money? By definition, its from the REVENUE sports… football and men’s basketball.

And you are going to make Brohm and Painter pay for the womens soccer and track teams out of their salaries? Come on man…

Reactions: joseole101
Where do you think the Athletic Department is getting their money? By definition, its from the REVENUE sports… football and men’s basketball.

And you are going to make Brohm and Painter pay for the womens soccer and track teams out of their salaries? Come on man…
um why shouldn't they. why should it the basketball student athlete instead?

It’s not that easy with Title IX legislation. What you’re suggesting would be illegal and there would be countless gender-related lawsuits for discrimination.
this will sort itself out legally like all things do when one sets of rights collides heads on with another sets of rights.

Um because they don’t have to? You think Brohm is coming here, or staying here, if MBob tells him half his salary is going to pay for women’s soccer and cross country? Geez turn on your brains people…
its fans like you I am arguing with. why are we okay with asking student athletes to make that sacrifice but not the person earning millions. your argument is pretty much that Brohm has to be compensated at market level or he won't be "coming here, or staying here"
so lets compensate student athletes at market rates too. instead of the farcical and exploitative amateurism rules we had going on for so long.

its fans like you I am arguing with. why are we okay with asking student athletes to make that sacrifice but not the person earning millions
Because the “person earning millions” has the leverage - they can go somewhere else and make the same money without having to bankroll the woman’s field hockey team.

Man this is a dumb conversation…

Reactions: mathboy
its fans like you I am arguing with. why are we okay with asking student athletes to make that sacrifice but not the person earning millions. your argument is pretty much that Brohm has to be compensated at market level or he won't be "coming here, or staying here"
so lets compensate student athletes at market rates too. instead of the farcical and exploitative amateurism rules we had going on for so long.
What sacrifice are we asking student athletes to make? Non revenue sports aren’t going anywhere.

“Making a sacrifice” JFC. They are playing a game. It’s a student athlete. You’re eduction is completely paid for, if you go to a power 5 program you have access to world class facilities and opportunities few get. I was happy for he NIL rule because they should be allowed to benefit from this but this is a gross abuse of how it was supposed to be used.

they essentially are today
if purdue was permitted to cut womens soccer,
brohm/football and painter/basketball could keep more of their money

Reactions: Fastdewey
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT