ADVERTISEMENT

Desmond Bane

SCBoiler1

Sophomore
Feb 10, 2014
Was watching Ivey's last preseason game and there was Desmond Bane. The guy is just a great player. If the rumors were true that he wanted to come to Purdue but wasn't offered he has to be Painter's biggest miss.

I didn't realize it but he started 72 games last year for a playoff team and scored 18 points per game shooting 44% from 3. He's on pace to have a better NBA career than any Boiler outside of the Big Dog or JBC. Its really quite remarkable.

Not blaming Painter. You're going to have your misses but add Bane to the 2017-2018 ad 2018-2019 teams and wow.

No one ever started this thread before.
Wasn't meant to be controversial.

I was just pointing out the guy keeps exceeding expectations. I knew he had made his way onto an NBA roster but didn't realize how established he has become after 2 years in the league. I thought there might be others that don't follow the NBA that might find it interesting as well.

Many of the same people making these comments after the fact if Bane had been recruited to Purdue: "His arms are too short. Why do we keep recruiting these Johnny try hards?"
“Why are we recruiting 2 star guys who don’t have big time offers ???!!!?

images

Was watching Ivey's last preseason game and there was Desmond Bane. The guy is just a great player. If the rumors were true that he wanted to come to Purdue but wasn't offered he has to be Painter's biggest miss.

I didn't realize it but he started 72 games last year for a playoff team and scored 18 points per game shooting 44% from 3. He's on pace to have a better NBA career than any Boiler outside of the Big Dog or JBC. Its really quite remarkable.

Not blaming Painter. You're going to have your misses but add Bane to the 2017-2018 ad 2018-2019 teams and wow.

Bane was invited to Purdue for a camp, or something similar, and decided to do something else that day/weekend. Does that sound like he wanted to come here?

Schrödingers Cat paradox - maybe if he came to Purdue he wouldn’t have achieved his full potential. Maybe by not coming for his workout set off a chain of events that got him to where he is.

Bane was invited to Purdue for a camp, or something similar, and decided to do something else that day/weekend. Does that sound like he wanted to come here?
he was going to play in a tournament where alot of College coaches were going to be at, hoping to get a few more offers, he didn't have an offer from Purdue , just was invited to workout , he asked if he could reschedule, was told to come the weekend he was asked or forget it.

Last edited:
There are only so many scholarships, so it happens.

A few years ago during the Hummel, Moore class. We did not have enough scholarships and we also accepted Martin verbal, who ended up transferring to Notre Dame. We missed getting Gordon Hayward and Howard who ended up helping make Butler’s runs years ago. They could have really helped us.

Wasn't meant to be controversial.

I was just pointing out the guy keeps exceeding expectations. I knew he had made his way onto an NBA roster but didn't realize how established he has become after 2 years in the league. I thought there might be others that don't follow the NBA that might find it interesting as well.
"...Painter's biggest miss..." hit me as a bit tiresome. We might actually all agree that Bane is a great success story for himself and TCU.

I think he has had bigger loses, but then again, every college coach has guys they recruited but didn’t get. We are no different.

Agree in part - and eliminating players CMP really went after but just didn't land, then I'd say maybe Glenn Robinson III might be the most comparable situation - off the top of my head.

Agree in part - and eliminating players CMP really went after but just didn't land, then I'd say maybe Glenn Robinson III might be the most comparable situation - off the top of my head.
At a local event, CMP said GRob 3 was his biggest regret at the time. We probably were not aggressive early with him. He really developed his last couple years of HS.

GRob and Gary Harris were his two biggest misses, IMHO.
Was Painter late on Harris? I know that he was on GRob and likely could have had Bane had he offered. I know that Purdue pushed hard on Gary and can't recall if they got a late start our just lost out to MSU.

There are only so many scholarships, so it happens.

A few years ago during the Hummel, Moore class. We did not have enough scholarships and we also accepted Martin verbal, who ended up transferring to Notre Dame. We missed getting Gordon Hayward and Howard who ended up helping make Butler’s runs years ago. They could have really helped us.
Are you saying that MP missed on Hayward and Howard because he didn't have scholarship space? I don't think that's true.

Was Painter late on Harris? I know that he was on GRob and likely could have had Bane had he offered. I know that Purdue pushed hard on Gary and can't recall if they got a late start our just lost out to MSU.
I don’t believe he offered GR3 prior to him committing to UM. Davis committed to us as a freshman/sophomore, and GR3 blew up as a junior/senior.

I don’t believe he offered GR3 prior to him committing to UM. Davis committed to us as a freshman/sophomore, and GR3 blew up as a junior/senior.
Out of state coaches know Indiana talent and will grab in a instant I’m worried about Dominique Murphy from Ec central getting away

Reactions: ChuckJr
Just a follow up. Taking it out of the realm of "should Painter have offered"

Bane is just a great player. Those that think GRob3 or Gary Harris are better players , just aren't paying attention. Bane is in his third year in the NBA and is averaging 21.8 points, 5 rebounds and 4 assist, while being a 43% 3 point shooter over his 3 year career. All of this for one of the top 5 teams in the NBA.

Bane's professional numbers are more comparable to Glenn Robinson Sr than Grob3 or Gary Harris. In fact his numbers this year are arguably better than any individual year Glenn Sr ever had,

Again, no one is blaming Painter. I don't think anyone projected this kind of success (even those obsessively screaming that we should give him an offer on this board) but its quite a remarkable story.

Last edited:

Bane is just a great player. Those that think GRob3 or Gary Harris are better players , just aren't paying attention. Bane is in his third year in the NBA and is averaging 21.8 points, 5 rebounds and 4 assist, while being a 43% 3 point shooter over his 3 year career. All of this for one of the top 5 teams in the NBA.

Bane's professional numbers are more comparable to Glenn Robinson Sr than Grob3 or Gary Harris. In fact his numbers this year are arguably better than any individual year Glenn Sr ever had,

Again, no one is blaming Painter. I don't think anyone projected this kind of success (even those obsessively screaming that we should give him an offer on this board) but its quite a remarkable story.
WHAT !!??? FIRE PAINTER!!

Just a wonderful life story. What Mount should/could have done.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT