ADVERTISEMENT

Desmond Bane

SCBoiler1

Sophomore
Feb 10, 2014
I know we were far from the only ones that didn't offer but he has to be one of the biggest recruiting misses from the state of Indiana in recent history.

Averaged 18 points a game for a legitimate NBA playoff team in year 2. Contributed all four years in college and shot 44% from 3 while earning all B12 honors his senior year in college.

I know we we were loaded at the time but he looks like he could have a better NBA career than any Purdue player not named Glenn Robinson or JBC.

I know we were far from the only ones that didn't offer but he has to be one of the biggest recruiting misses from the state of Indiana in recent history.

Averaged 18 points a game for a legitimate NBA playoff team in year 2. Contributed all four years in college and shot 44% from 3 while earning all B12 honors his senior year in college.

I know we we were loaded at the time but he looks like he could have a better NBA career than any Purdue player not named Glenn Robinson or JBC.

Guy got interest grom Purdue and an invite to try out here I believe. So can't say it was a miss. If he wanted to go elsewhere, cant help that.

Guy got interest grom Purdue and an invite to try out here I believe. So can't say it was a miss. If he wanted to go elsewhere, cant help that.
This is the truth. Painter invited him to visit/try out and Bane decided to play AAU ball that weekend instead, I believe. He had a chance to come to Purdue and basically opted out. Agreed, this was not a miss by Painter and Purdue.

This is the truth. Painter invited him to visit/try out and Bane decided to play AAU ball that weekend instead, I believe. He had a chance to come to Purdue and basically opted out. Agreed, this was not a miss by Painter and Purdue.
Did Purdue offer him a scholarship or just a walk-on tryout?

obviously, we gave the scholarship to somebody that year. Can you name the player who ended up with the scholarship we may have given Bane? Just curious.

Reactions: pboiler18
obviously, we gave the scholarship to somebody that year. Can you name the player who ended up with the scholarship we may have given Bane? Just curious.
Carsen Edwards was the 2016 recruiting class which was the year Bane graduated from Class A Seton Catholic. We just had the one opening it looks like. IU, Butler, etc… also missed.
I think CMP helped TCU Coach Dixon with getting him (my theory).

from Wikipedia - He did not receive an NCAA Division I offer until his senior season, when Furman offered him at the end of November early signing period. On May 12, 2016, Bane committed to play college basketball for TCU.[4] He was not rated by major recruiting services 247Sports, ESPN, or Rivals.[2]

Yup. We had Edwards first.
Now, I do think somebody transferred that year and we ended up with an open scholly…but at the time we didn’t have room.

We had 10 scholarship players and then brought in Spike. Bane didn't commit until May after his senior year. We may have ended up giving Lucy a scholarship as well so there was room. At the time there were people on this board saying if we wanted him we could have had him. It was almost like the whole Spegal thing people keep joking about on the football side. Who knows how it would have played out but he would have been a Jr on that elite 8 team.

I'm not blaming Painter because nearly everyone else missed. I just brought it up as Bane was the leading scorer for his team in an NBA playoff semifinal elimination game. It's a pretty big miss on the evaluation of a player's potential by everyone involved.

Has there ever been a bigger miss in Indiana basketball history? I can't think of any off hand.

Well i believe given a choice, I'd take Edwards over Bane.
It wasn't an either or thing because we also brought in Spike and had another open scholarship. I think the bigger issue for Painter may have been that we already had Mathias and Cline who were similar players.

Its possible that if Bane would have taken a Purdue scholarship he would have been buried on the depth chart his freshmen and sophomore years and his career could have taken a totally different direction. No way to tell.

Even the scouting and recruiting ranking experts missed on this one. I guess he never played AAU? I remember people on here were wanting us to give him a chance similar to LaRavia. We should be on the recruiting payroll lol. I also remember the trex junk too when someone mentioned wanting him to go to Purdue.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
I don't think this was a miss on anyone's part. Sometimes players develop after high school and have a lot more ability than they showed there. There was this guy named Ja Morant who wasn't really recruited by anyone. He was unranked coming out of high school...

I don't think this was a miss on anyone's part. Sometimes players develop after high school and have a lot more ability than they showed there. There was this guy named Ja Morant who wasn't really recruited by anyone. He was unranked coming out of high school...
I think it has to do with a guy having talent and coaches not seeing it translate. Some on this board called it. I didn't know anything about him so I'm not taking a victory lap but there are a few on here who could. They saw it and the colleges coaches didn't. Could be the blind squirrel phenomenon, but they were right. The guy signed in May and then averaged 7 points a game as a freshmen. I call that a miss. Just because Ja Morant was a miss as well doesn't mean anything.

Reactions: Schnelk
It could be seen as a miss that Painter wasn't willing to offer without having him come to campus and practice. If Painter bends and says, I will offer without the practice, that changes his recruiting stance going forward. Maybe good, maybe bad.

I believe most recruiters dinged him because of arm/wingspan and the fact he played at a small school so didn't really play against more talented players.

Reactions: Schnelk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT