ADVERTISEMENT

Deion Burks to Purdue

I think it has been expected for sometime that Purdue was the likely destination. Nice pickup.

Welcome Deion!!

I trust the evaluation of our staff, especially knowing Rondale Moore wasn't all that highly rated. That being said, not only do we not need more receivers, Burks is the lowest rated receiver we have taken since Jordan Bonner in 2018, whose rating was almost identical. Of course, Bonner now plays for Elon. You'd think that if we just had to use a precious scholarship on yet another receiver, we'd use it on more of a sure thing. I truly hope they are right on their evaluation of Burks.

I trust the evaluation of our staff, especially knowing Rondale Moore wasn't all that highly rated. That being said, not only do we not need more receivers, Burks is the lowest rated receiver we have taken since Jordan Bonner in 2018, whose rating was almost identical. Of course, Bonner now plays for Elon. You'd think that if we just had to use a precious scholarship on yet another receiver, we'd use it on more of a sure thing. I truly hope they are right on their evaluation of Burks.

Therein lies the challenge in college recruiting. Getting solid players like Burks, but leaving the door open for the studs. (The fact he had multiple P5 offers indicates he's a solid player.)

Jordan Bonner was Brohm's first full class. It's reasonable, logical, and expected that he would have his lowest rated receiver early in his tenure as Purdue's HC.

It’s early in the process and I wouldn’t take ratings at face value this cycle. There won’t be a camp circuit to give players the opportunity to increase rankings.

he had 6 bus offers before the pandemic shut visits down. There is a basis for his recruitment

Reactions: Purdue85
My only thoughts are that brohm has a long history of being able to flip players from their other commitments. He was able to steal Moore away from going to Texas. I scratch my head when I see WR and DB commitments so early in the recruiting process. I thought those were already positions of tremendous talent and also depth. I have no doubt this athlete has talent. my thoughts are basically, if we really wanted him, couldn't we have waited a little longer in the process to gain his commitment. With his commitment, we now have two receivers. how active will Brohm be recruiting more receivers? and what will people say if he receives two more commitments from receivers? how many do we really need?

My only thoughts are that brohm has a long history of being able to flip players from their other commitments. He was able to steal Moore away from going to Texas. I scratch my head when I see WR and DB commitments so early in the recruiting process. I thought those were already positions of tremendous talent and also depth. I have no doubt this athlete has talent. my thoughts are basically, if we really wanted him, couldn't we have waited a little longer in the process to gain his commitment. With his commitment, we now have two receivers. how active will Brohm be recruiting more receivers? and what will people say if he receives two more commitments from receivers? how many do we really need?
Brohm isn’t scared to drop commitments.

If they like him, take him

My only thoughts are that brohm has a long history of being able to flip players from their other commitments. He was able to steal Moore away from going to Texas. I scratch my head when I see WR and DB commitments so early in the recruiting process. I thought those were already positions of tremendous talent and also depth. I have no doubt this athlete has talent. my thoughts are basically, if we really wanted him, couldn't we have waited a little longer in the process to gain his commitment. With his commitment, we now have two receivers. how active will Brohm be recruiting more receivers? and what will people say if he receives two more commitments from receivers? how many do we really need WANT?

There.

FIFY.

That is a Brohm question.

Reactions: buffboiler
If Brohm had not gone to Trinity, and did not have Trinity connections, he would not have been able to flip Moore. Moore actually wanted to go to UL, but lucky for us Petrino was recruiting mostly outside of Kentucky and ignored Moore until it was too late in the process.

As far as WR numbers, everyone might be healthy this year, but so many people thought we had too many receivers last year, and looked what happened. We were scrambling for WRs at the end last year. Moore went down, Sparks went down, Anthrop played with a broken bone in his foot, Rice was out, Sheffield got injured, etc. Bell was even playing with an injured shoulder.

As far as waiting to gain his commitment, he specifically wanted to commit on his mom's 4 year anniversary of her death to honor her. Also, we are living in an unprecedented time. Recruiting is different right now. Kids are committing earlier, because we don't know when visits will be able to done.

He wanted to commit, and I trust Brohm's evaluation. Happy to have gotten him!

As far as WR numbers, everyone might be healthy this year, but so many people thought we had too many receivers last year, and looked what happened. We were scrambling for WRs at the end last year. Moore went down, Sparks went down, Anthrop played with a broken bone in his foot, Rice was out, Sheffield got injured, etc. Bell was even playing with an injured shoulder.
And even with all those injuries, we were still able to field a group of receivers throughout the whole season that was at least competent. Can you imagine if we had lost that many offensive linemen--or linebackers? I don't think we even had that many linebackers to lose, period. Even if they were perfectly healthy, I'm not that confident in those position groups. Injuries can happen at any position; scholarships are finite. Overloading at one position means you sacrifice another. We are overloaded at WR, in my opinion. And that doesn't seem to be changing. We're about halfway to our scholarship limit in this class and we've got as many receivers as offensive linemen. We have zero, one, or two linebackers, depending on how you look at them. That's got to change. I sure hope we hit on both Karlaftis and Sales. They are two huge keys to this class.

Last edited:
And even with all those injuries, we were still able to field a group of receivers throughout the whole season that was at least competent. Can you imagine if we had lost that many offensive linemen--or linebackers? I don't think we even had that many linebackers to lose, period. Even if they were perfectly healthy, I'm not that confident in those position groups. Injuries can happen at any position; scholarships are finite. Overloading at one position means you sacrifice another. We are overloaded at WR, in my opinion. And that doesn't seem to be changing. We're about halfway to our scholarship limit in this class and we've got as many receivers as offensive linemen. We have zero, one, or two linebackers, depending on how you look at them. That's got to change. I sure hope we hit on both Karlaftis and Sales. They are two huge keys to this class.
You can count on 20+ in this class.

also, factor i this is Moore’s last year and we probably only have bell for 2 more

Very excited about this young man being a Boilermaker......good stuff and welcome aboard!

Boiler Up!

Maliq Carr and another recruit (can't remember which) piggy-backed this commitment by tagging Donaven McCulley in pitch efforts.

Reactions: KentuckyBoiler
IU had backed off knowing they were in good shape with Jordyn Williams the wideout out of Georgia.
While I believe this statement is true, I’ll throw our PU friends a bone and point out that schools back off kids all the time for reasons that have nothing to do with how bad they want a guy.

FWIW, he got a little boost in the 247 composite rating today (from .8466 to .8540).

IU didn't back off. They're not backing off anyone based on where they stand with some other undeclared/uncommitted recruit. Hells bells, they just lost a 3-star DE to PSU, and he was already committed.

Just to clarify, Jordyn Williams, the receiver that we wanted, commited to us yesterday.

We got our guy.

Just to clarify, Jordyn Williams, the receiver that we wanted, commited to us yesterday.

We got our guy.

Doesn't change the fact that Burks going to Purdue had nothing to do with whether or not IU backed off because of Williams. Burks was a lock to Purdue for months.

IU had backed off knowing they were in good shape with Jordyn Williams the wideout out of Georgia.
The day before the announcement; it appears that some fans did not get that memo. This was on Twitter from IUsports4life, which calls itself the following below. It is funny they have taken down these 2 tweets on their site, but they are still on Deion's Twitter page.

IUsports4life
@IUsportsforlife
Indiana Hoosier Fanpage, Covering all Indiana Men’s/Women’s Basketball and Football. Follow iusports4life on instagram for more content. Go IU!

Here is the first tweet:

Retweeted

IUsports4life@IUsportsforlife

·
May 12
@deionkburks
is committing tomorrow! #HoosierNation show some love! #iufb

Here is the second tweet:

Retweeted

IUsports4life@IUsportsforlife

·
May 12