ADVERTISEMENT

Defense does NOT live here

Of course they can improve. Hunter has shown to be capable in the past so the ability is there. His issue is between the ears and you have to work through it. Same with Newman because he hasn't given us squat either and sometimes less than Hunter.

This isn't a 'skill' issue per se, but a confidence/mental problem and those don't get worked out sitting on the bench.
You know what you've got with IT and EH. They're not going to suddenly become better ball handlers, stronger, faster, etc. Teams know that when they're the ball handler, if you put good pressure starting at 3/4 or 1/2, you can disrupt the Purdue offense.
Ever notice how often both these guys pick up their dribble right after the 10 second line when the pressure comes? Then someone has to come way out past the 3 pt line to get a pass.

Our defense is shockingly bad. So bad that I think we're no longer the best team in the league. Currently Illinois is best. We had fools gold early on by starting out ranked way too high, winning a couple of huge games (the type we rail and screed about when teams have them against us) and unbelievable attrition. That's how we reached #1. Painter has his work cut out for him. We are in no way trending in the right location. A few games ago I thought our only weakness was dealing with the press. Not now, we have serious issues for Painter to fix. Stand by, it's a long season. Anything can happen from this point.

Reactions: MetMyWifeAtHarrys
Newman has the skill and athleticism to be a big piece, even a starter, but he checks out mentally, especially if the first shot doesn't go down. I'd love for him to play more but it seems like he doesn't want to be out there if his shot's not falling. Getting lost on defense, being careless with the ball.

A couple games ago, I think either RU or NCST someone got into it with Painter when they got pulled, was it Newman? Seems like that's when he stopped playing a ton of minutes and stopped scoring
Newman seemed to say something to Painter at the NC St game when he got pulled.

Newman seemed to say something to Painter at the NC St game when he got pulled.
It’s a little fuzzy, I’ve had some egg nog since then but I seem to recall that it looked like he was saying “okay” and nodding as if agreeing to whatever Painter said to him as he was walking down the bench. It wasn’t him mouthing off or complaining.

He had 6 and 5 against IW and 7 and 4 against Nicholls. Doesn’t seem like there’s any hangover from him “saying something” during the NC State game.

He did pretty well as a starter last year. Maybe it’s time to mix it up and give him the start over Thompson. See if that maybe doesn’t light a spark under both of them.

Reactions: Schnelk
Na. It wasn't. But it's okay you peegsters wouldn't know anyway.
Yeah. It was. You’re in over your head. All you have to fall back on is to accuse others of being rival fans when in reality you have no idea what you’re talking about.

Everybody wants to blame the defense and hustle for Purdue's early B10 struggles because most people think those issues can be corrected if we just play harder. But if we look at the stats Purdue's problems in the B10 runs deeper than that. Look at the B10 stats through three games for some of Purdue's rotation guys.

Williams shooting 43% overall
Sasha shooting 29% overall, 27% from 3.
Hunter shooting 29% overall, 38% from 3. 4 ppg.
Newman shooting 17% overall, 20% from 3. 2.7 ppg.
Morton shooting 33% overall, 67% from 3 (2/3). 2.3 ppg.
Thompson shooting 0% overall 1.7 ppg.
Furst shooting 50% overall (1/2), 0.7 ppg.

That's just not a couple of guys struggling on offense in B10 play, that's 7! Its only three games but Purdue is shooting 41% in conference, which is 9th in the league and that number is inflated by Edey's 59% shooting (dunking).

That's good and bad news. If Purdue can break out of this gang that can't shoot straight dry spell we'll be okay but if we don't.....

Last edited:
Yeah. It was. You’re in over your head. All you have to fall back on is to accuse others of being rival fans when in reality you have no idea what you’re talking about.
No it wasn't. BBG is right you're probably just Trojan on here with another id. You've established yourself as a clueless halfwit at best. Time for you to head back to the trailer park Trojan.

It's funny you call people out for not knowing what they are talking about when your only response is 'no it wasn't'. Only one in over his head is you as you try and determine an outcome that was never determined.

Mods can we get Trojan's new ID here banned again?

Na. It wasn't. But it's okay you peegsters wouldn't know anyway.
You're wasting your time with that tool. His only supportive response is 'no it wasn't'. He's gone and used the 3rd grade 'I know you are but what am I ' tactic and there is no coming back.

Last edited:
Everybody wants to blame the defense and hustle for Purdue's early B10 struggles because most people think those issues can be corrected if we just play harder. But if we look at the stats Purdue's problems in the B10 runs deeper than that. Look at the B10 stats through three games for some of Purdue's rotation guys.

Williams shooting 43% overall
Sasha shooting 29% overall, 27% from 3.
Hunter shooting 29% overall, 38% from 3. 4 ppg.
Newman shooting 17% overall, 20% from 3. 2.7 ppg.
Morton shooting 33% overall, 67% from 3 (2/3). 2.3 ppg.
Thompson shooting 0% overall 1.7 ppg.
Furst shooting 50% overall (1/2), 0.7 ppg.

That's just not a couple of guys struggling on offense in B10 play, that's 7! Its only three games but Purdue is shooting 41% in conference, which is 9th in the league and that number is inflated by Edey's 59% shooting (dunking).

That's good and bad news. If Purdue can break out of this gang that can't shoot straight dry spell we'll be okay but if we don't.....
Great find on the data.
What was the biggest difference between our first 10 games where we were a Top 3 offensive team nationally and what’s happened in B10 play?

What was the biggest difference between our first 10 games where we were a Top 3 offensive team nationally and what’s happened in B10 play?
That's easy. Not hitting open shots or the ones that are literally at the rim that somehow get missed. So it boils down to consistency.

That's easy. Not hitting open shots or the ones that are literally at the rim that somehow get missed. So it boils down to consistency.
So, the team is in a collective shooting funk?
Do you think teams are now adjusting the D to take away some of what Purdue wants to do and that's impacting the offense?

So, the team is in a collective shooting funk?
Do you think teams are now adjusting the D to take away some of what Purdue wants to do and that's impacting the offense?
Based on the UW game and how we pretty much got what we wanted, especially inside, but yet missed. I would call it a funk.

And Ivey getting 2 fouls didn't help. We shot 30% for that half and lousy at the FT line if I recall. There were two people following Sasha around almost all game and our inside game didn't pick up the slack.

We have been missing some wide open layups too. Also our free throw shooting seems to be going downhill as well. Just very frustrating overall.

Reactions: Level 42
Also our free throw shooting seems to be going downhill as well.
Nicholls, Butler and Villanova are the only games that we have shot under 60% from the line as a team. Against Iowa we shot 68%. The team average is 72.9%, which is 111th nationally (Duke is 75th, Gonzaga 214, Baylor 268)

Reactions: Schnelk
We have been missing some wide open layups too.
And a lot of them. I see a lot of 'waiting for the call' when it happens too which is never a good thing because especially against UW, it seemed like that led to them getting the rebound.

All fixable and I think we'll start to see it becoming less of a problem next game. The regular season crown is probably out of reach but honestly I don't care. Win the BTT and get a top 4 seed and then go make some noise to a FF.

Reactions: Zaphod_B and BBG
Some missed bunnies hurt for sure. But two big differences in the big ten: 1. It’s much more physical both inside and out. Inside they hammer our bigs and half are called. Outside they get into you. 2. And this is even more of a reason… the other team knows every play, every option the individual strengths and weaknesses. It’s not a one game prepare. It’s a 20 year prepare for how Painter does things and years of knowing all but our freshman. So execution, focus, playing harder , being tough, being strong with the ball and exerting your will are paramount.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
Wish we would play defense like IU is tonight. They are physical, pressuring all over the court and giving no easy looks. Hate to say it , but TRUE. They will be a handful for us at IU next week!

• Haha
Reactions: Poprudy
Looks like all the top 20 teams that are supposed to be winning are winning so far. Besides Purdue. I really thought this team was going to be the one. If we don't get our crap together I'm going to be highly disappointed.

And a lot of them. I see a lot of 'waiting for the call' when it happens too which is never a good thing because especially against UW, it seemed like that led to them getting the rebound.

All fixable and I think we'll start to see it becoming less of a problem next game. The regular season crown is probably out of reach but honestly I don't care. Win the BTT and get a top 4 seed and then go make some noise to a FF.
Yeah, Wisconsin got physical with us and a lot of it wasn’t called, BUT we got away with a LOT of physicality on defense as well. Tons of bumping, some grabbing, so we cannot blame the refs for this one. We got a very fair whistle.

Yeah, Wisconsin got physical with us and a lot of it wasn’t called, BUT we got away with a LOT of physicality on defense as well. Tons of bumping, some grabbing, so we cannot blame the refs for this one. We got a very fair whistle.
Agree and I'm of the camp that bad officiating is always going to happen so don't depend on that winning a game for you. Play like you aren't going to get a call your way and finish strong.

We also didn't take advantage of it at the FT I don't think.

Reactions: Boiler8285
Agree and I'm of the camp that bad officiating is always going to happen so don't depend on that winning a game for you. Play like you aren't going to get a call your way and finish strong.

100% agree on all counts. Gotta hit at least 75% at the stripe.

And it would help if the crowd doesn’t shout “sit down!” In the middle of the free throw motion.

And it would help if the crowd doesn’t shout “sit down!” In the middle of the free throw motion.
Yeah that was pretty stupid on the Paint crew's part and well timed by the guy fouling out so credit where credit is due. They yelled it right when Zach shot and you can see him not ready for it and he ends up missing.

I forgot about that.

The big ten regular season champ should have at least 5 losses. Still can be us.

Two different 5 minute periods where we didn't score a field goal hurts us more than missing a couple FTs

Reactions: BBG
You mean that defense that gave up 22 to UW? One good game doesn't make them the defensive juggernaut you want them to be.
I said their defense last night was very good , much better than we have been playing, But watching they have consistently put good pressure on the ball and deny passes, which is what has been giving our guards problems.

Based on the UW game and how we pretty much got what we wanted, especially inside, but yet missed. I would call it a funk.

And Ivey getting 2 fouls didn't help. We shot 30% for that half and lousy at the FT line if I recall. There were two people following Sasha around almost all game and our inside game didn't pick up the slack.
Brad shut Sasha down on Monday. Just like he did w/ JBlow last night. Not sure what happened in your Rutgers game.

We've let 2 studs go off unconscious. Plenty of hyperbole there.
Two studs for Nichols went off (30 and 20 from guys averaging 21 and 6)?

UNC - Garcia 26 (ave 10)
RU - Harper 30 (ave 15)
Wisky - Davis 37 (ave 23)

NC ST had some guys we absolutely could not stop too until OT. They got their averages basically though.

We have to find a way to have the hot hands get the ball less. How many times do we have to see someone go off on us?

Wish we would play defense like IU is tonight. They are physical, pressuring all over the court and giving no easy looks. Hate to say it , but TRUE. They will be a handful for us at IU next week!
he's not wrong

Two studs for Nichols went off (30 and 20 from guys averaging 21 and 6)?

UNC - Garcia 26 (ave 10)
RU - Harper 30 (ave 15)
Wisky - Davis 37 (ave 23)

NC ST had some guys we absolutely could not stop too until OT. They got their averages basically though.

We have to find a way to have the hot hands get the ball less. How many times do we have to see someone go off on us?
Apparently we haven't seen enough. I still don't understand why we dont try a zone, full court or half court press. At least make them spend some energy. I will never understand it. Everytime we lose its because a player usually goes off on us. We don't do anything different to try to stop them.

Apparently we haven't seen enough. I still don't understand why we dont try a zone, full court or half court press. At least make them spend some energy. I will never understand it. Everytime we lose its because a player usually goes off on us. We don't do anything different to try to stop them.
Same reason IT and EH play a combined 40 mins and avg a total of 3 Pts.

Reactions: Boiler8285
It’s probably my biggest criticism of CMP.

It reminds me of the old Colts defensive Tampa Two strategy of “we do what we do.” Whereas Belichick on the other hand, would absolutely NOT let you do what you do, offensively. He would take away your best 2 weapons and make you beat him with someone else.

Belichick would take away Johnny Davis and Ron Harper, and make someone else beat him.

ADVERTISEMENT