ADVERTISEMENT

Deep Dish

So this isn’t the Pasquale’s location that I go to- but was happy to see that he went to one of my favorites. I think this is the 2nd highest score he has given any Indy place after Goodfellas

6.7 is second highest? That’s crazy. I love that this guy gave the bad news to a bunch of places in Chicago that are overrated.

he even gave my childhood favorite a 6.8 and called it onion soup lol, but I didn’t mind because it’s worth it to see him accurately rate so many overrated Chicago spots like barnaby’s and pequod

6.7 is second highest? That’s crazy. I love that this guy gave the bad news to a bunch of places in Chicago that are overrated.

he even gave my childhood favorite a 6.8 and called it onion soup lol, but I didn’t mind because it’s worth it to see him accurately rate so many overrated Chicago spots like barnaby’s and pequod

No it turns out it’s 5th highest. He hasn’t rated that many here. He said it was good but could use more crisp

Reactions: BCfanatic2020

He have Brozzini’s and Georgio’s a 7.4

DD pizza is for tourists who think Giordanos or Ginos East is worth waiting in line for. Disgusting.

Greasy NY/NJ fold-up-the-slice is the way to go. If you disagree, just come to the realization that you’re wrong now.

Giordanos and Ginos is not worth waiting in line for. Agreed.

But that doesn't mean deep dish is bad pizza. Giordinos in particular just phones it in.

If you think there is only one "best" kind of pizza, you're the one who is wrong.

1) there is no lineage to Italy. Italians came here, but pizza didn’t really take off in Chicago until post world war 2 when vets came back from Europe .. where as in New York, Italians came here and began doing what they were doing in Italy modifying only for availability of ingredients.

2) the pizzas in Chicago in the 1940s and beyond were crafted with externalities in mind.. like keeping drunks drinking at bars .. it wasn’t pizza for the sake of pizza, it was “let’s change it to make it more like peanuts.”

so I don’t want anyone thinking that despite my sheer hatred for pizza king .. I think Chicago is like the Mecca of pizza. It’s not

I think you gloss over this point. The modifications for availability of ingredients is a huge factor. All of this stuff needs to be qualified as "Italian American."

I think you gloss over this point. The modifications for availability of ingredients is a huge factor. All of this stuff needs to be qualified as "Italian American."
I couldn’t agree more. I like Italian American food.

the misconception to me is this.

Fabrizio is cooking X in Naples in 1905

his son anthony comes here and makes Y.. the ratios in the sauce are all the same, anthony just doesn’t have affordable fresh mozzarella around so it’s a tomato pie

modern America will tell you that chad can become a chef and make Z, and it’s just as good as X and Y cause hey… Y is different from X, right?

the only time this makes anyone mad is when they think that most of us don’t think this.

there is stuff being made in Arizona that’s Mexican American .. I would never be arrogant enough to think that I could take a class on it and replicate it.

NOW, if I go to Arizona and someone teaches me, ok maybe in 10 years I might be on to something.

I couldn’t agree more. I like Italian American food.

the misconception to me is this.

Fabrizio is cooking X in Naples in 1905

his son anthony comes here and makes Y.. the ratios in the sauce are all the same, anthony just doesn’t have affordable fresh mozzarella around so it’s a tomato pie

modern America will tell you that chad can become a chef and make Z, and it’s just as good as X and Y cause hey… Y is different from X, right?

the only time this makes anyone mad is when they think that most of us don’t think this.

there is stuff being made in Arizona that’s Mexican American .. I would never be arrogant enough to think that I could take a class on it and replicate it.

NOW, if I go to Arizona and someone teaches me, ok maybe in 10 years I might be on to something.

I don't disagree, generally, although I think maybe you overstate the complexity of some of it. On the other hand, it is very possible some limited success in following oversimplified Youtube recipes has caused me to fly too close to the sun. 😁

I don't disagree, generally, although I think maybe you overstate the complexity of some of it. On the other hand, it is very possible some limited success in following oversimplified Youtube recipes has caused me to fly too close to the sun. 😁

In the last two days I have tried:

pizza beddia
Prince street
John’s of bleecker
Alfie’s

they blow Chicago out of the water. And none of them could get competition from some guy named Jeremy who is like “hey, I’m here. The new guy. Yeah I had like a whole semester on sauce.”

In the last two days I have tried:

pizza beddia
Prince street
John’s of bleecker
Alfie’s

they blow Chicago out of the water. And none of them could get competition from some guy named Jeremy who is like “hey, I’m here. The new guy. Yeah I had like a whole semester on sauce.”
Did you wash dishes at John’s for old time sake?

After having been to New York for pizza, I think @SDBoiler1 might agree with this take. When you cross reference both quantity and quality, the order for states as far as pizza goes is probably

New York
New jersey
Connecticut
Illinois

I tried one of my top 10 from the Chicago area when I got back and it was.. fine.

After having been to New York for pizza, I think @SDBoiler1 might agree with this take. When you cross reference both quantity and quality, the order for states as far as pizza goes is probably

New York
New jersey
Connecticut
Illinois

I tried one of my top 10 from the Chicago area when I got back and it was.. fine.

Rhode Island?

New York
New jersey
Connecticut
Illinois

I would say:
New York
Connecticut
New Jersey
Illinois

There is no such thing as “Newark style” or “Camden style” but there is “New York style” and “New Haven style”.

I would say:
New York
Connecticut
New Jersey
Illinois

There is no such thing as “Newark style” or “Camden style” but there is “New York style” and “New Haven style”.
I’m just talking about cross referencing top quality pizza with a high quantity. Pepe’s and Sally’s may outpace any NJ pizza but NJ was recently ranked number one likely cause of the high quanitity.

but either way I think we agree both are better than Illinois

I know in the Indy area they have some primanti bros locations .. that was the biggest disappointment of my trip. I thought I would love it but that cole slaw is strong as hell. I don’t know if it’s just vinegar or Dijon or what … I’m not saying it’s not objectively good. I personally just thought it was average

I’m just talking about cross referencing top quality pizza with a high quantity. Pepe’s and Sally’s may outpace any NJ pizza but NJ was recently ranked number one likely cause of the high quanitity.

but either way I think we agree both are better than Illinois
I just have an aversion to ranking Joi-sey above CT. 😬😉

I know in the Indy area they have some primanti bros locations .. that was the biggest disappointment of my trip. I thought I would love it but that cole slaw is strong as hell. I don’t know if it’s just vinegar or Dijon or what … I’m not saying it’s not objectively good. I personally just thought it was average

Not anymore. They closed

Shapiro’s is the place to get good sandwiches like that here- quite an expensive sandwhich though

Yeah that’s a little high. Look at the size sandwiches you get there and it’s $6 cheaper. Now.. what I will say is that I once heard Bernstein’s gets their meats from manny’s, so maybe it should be cheaper if they’re cooked off site.

I have heard about Shapiro’s and I really wanna try it. I was so excited that I was in Indy on Tuesday afternoon and I wanted to try workingman’s friend, but they were gone on vacation

Yeah that’s a little high. Look at the size sandwiches you get there and it’s $6 cheaper. Now.. what I will say is that I once heard Bernstein’s gets their meats from manny’s, so maybe it should be cheaper if they’re cooked off site.

I have heard about Shapiro’s and I really wanna try it. I was so excited that I was in Indy on Tuesday afternoon and I wanted to try workingman’s friend, but they were gone on vacation

Workingman’s friend has really restrictive hours even when they are in town. I’ve never got to try it

That's why Oley's on the East Side of Fort Wayne is superior. Deep dish, double crust. A thin crust, lots of toppings, another thin crust and even more toppings.

10481930_728469700564940_1585422090591557608_o.jpg

Now that is how you do a deep dish pizza.
Remember when you could win a deep dish at the Komet games?... priceless!

Reactions: Indy_Rider
Just returned from our trip out east. My wife asked my opinion now that we have had "real" NY pizza. I came to the conclusion that NY & New Haven style is just a different thing than Chicago or Detroit style. My choice between these would depend on what I was in the mood for.

In Manhattan we had Joe's, Sam's in the Bronx (a short walk from my sister's condo), and Frank Pepe's in New Haven. All were very good in my opinion, but if I were choosing between these three, I would take Frank Pepe's. I was in the minority of the family, as two said they would pick Sam's and one said Joe's, so the rest definitely preferred NY-style.

Reactions: SDBoiler1
Just returned from our trip out east. My wife asked my opinion now that we have had "real" NY pizza. I came to the conclusion that NY & New Haven style is just a different thing than Chicago or Detroit style. My choice between these would depend on what I was in the mood for.

In Manhattan we had Joe's, Sam's in the Bronx (a short walk from my sister's condo), and Frank Pepe's in New Haven. All were very good in my opinion, but if I were choosing between these three, I would take Frank Pepe's. I was in the minority of the family, as two said they would pick Sam's and one said Joe's, so the rest definitely preferred NY-style.
That sounds like quite a lot of pizza. 👍 Glad you liked Frank Pepe’s. Did you go next door and get an Italian ice or cannoli? That little shop is a fixture down there in “Little Italy” just like Pepe’s and Original Sally’s.

NY style and New Haven style are similar but not the same. I personally think NY and New Haven styles are better than Chicago or Detroit styles. I do enjoy an “Original” Sicilian/deep dish pizza every so often. Too much crust for me to do it often.

Reactions: jberry5
That sounds like quite a lot of pizza. 👍 Glad you liked Frank Pepe’s. Did you go next door and get an Italian ice or cannoli? That little shop is a fixture down there in “Little Italy” just like Pepe’s and Original Sally’s.

NY style and New Haven style are similar but not the same. I personally think NY and New Haven styles are better than Chicago or Detroit styles. I do enjoy an “Original” Sicilian/deep dish pizza every so often. Too much crust for me to do it often.
Our stop in New Haven was when we left New York and were heading to Plymouth and then on to Boston, so it was fairly quick. Stopped for a cheeseburger at Louis' Lunch and then ordered a pizza at Frank Pepe's to take and eat along our drive. Had I known about the Italian ice, I definitely would have tried it. That was probably my favorite thing at Sam's in the Bronx. I had my fill of cannolis during the trip, but I'm sure I could have put away one or two more. Had them at Carlo's in Hoboken, La Bella's in Little Italy (New York), and then Mike's Pastry in Boston.

Last edited:
Reactions: SDBoiler1
ADVERTISEMENT