ADVERTISEMENT

David Bell

Just watched and listened to an interview with Bell - impressive young man -- wish him well.

Reactions: drewjin
He doesn’t know what he is talking about. He wasn’t going to get faster and more explosive at Purdue.
Yeah probably not. I think the main thing people are forgetting here is that Bell (and i believe GK) gratuates this May.

I would somewhat argue another year of tearing it up may have increased his stock some. Leaving early to only be a 3rd round pick im guessing is not what Bell and is agent had in mind when he declared.

Reactions: indyogb and DAG10
Yeah probably not. I think the main thing people are forgetting here is that Bell (and i believe GK) gratuates this May.

I would somewhat argue another year of tearing it up may have increased his stock some. Leaving early to only be a 3rd round pick im guessing is not what Bell and is agent had in mind when he declared.
He wasn’t going to get faster or more explosive. Those were the knocks against him

Reactions: bonefish1

As a receiver, he has a better chance coming out early and earning 4 years in the NFL to gain full benefits---why put a lifetime of benefits at risk at the college level for hopes of NIL? He helps his family now. He wouldn't go from 4.6 down to 4.4 to really benefit financially. Hell, his agent convinced him to not play in the bowl based upon the risk factors. Still worth it.

Never pass up a good opportunity hoping something not in your control changes.

Reactions: pboiler18

Much better chance of going later next year than earlier.

Not arguing whether he should have stayed or not.

But speed and explosiveness I think can be improved. Bell himself said he was continuing to work on his speed in his interview after being drafted.

Reactions: WMichBoiler

But speed and explosiveness I think can be improved. Bell himself said he was continuing to work on his speed in his interview after being drafted.
Genetics plays a significant role in explosiveness. There is only so much you can do.

Was he going to increase to a 4.4 in another year? You can’t coach fast.
The fact that it was a receiver demand draft for one thing. Alot of guys who stayed because of COVID, as well as guys who wanted to come out early made the market strong

As a receiver, he has a better chance coming out early and earning 4 years in the NFL to gain full benefits---why put a lifetime of benefits at risk at the college level for hopes of NIL? He helps his family now. He wouldn't go from 4.6 down to 4.4 to really benefit financially. Hell, his agent convinced him to not play in the bowl based upon the risk factors. Still worth it.

Never pass up a good opportunity hoping something not in your control changes.

With Tennessee's defense, he would have trended huge after that game. Was a dumb decision, exposure and marketing wise.

The fact that it was a receiver demand draft for one thing. Alot of guys who stayed because of COVID, as well as guys who wanted to come out early made the market strong
There will be a strong wr class every year. That is the way the game is going.

With Tennessee's defense, he would have trended huge after that game. Was a dumb decision, exposure and marketing wise.
It's dumb to play injured and risk a bigger injury---everyone forgets he had some dings for the IN game. He would have deflated right back to where he landed due to the combine numbers and pro-day numbers. No additional tape and stats would have changed that.

I'm glad that David is in the pros. Glad that he is a decent soft spoken young man who represents our university very well. Also glad that he has been drafted close enough to home that his family can get the chance to enjoy some of his games.
Good luck David Bell!

Who drafted in round 1?
There were some d-backs in rounds 1 and 2 from the B1G. The point I was making is that playing in major conferences you play against a lot of future pros. And he put up a lot of big numbers in his career.

Reactions: SLoopBoiler

Agreed, but also better to choose a draft year with fewer top-end WR's. This year the draft was absolutely packed with WR talent.

There were some d-backs in rounds 1 and 2 from the B1G. The point I was making is that playing in major conferences you play against a lot of future pros. And he put up a lot of big numbers in his career.
ZERO big ten corners taken ahead of David bell. 3 safeties, but they wouldn’t have been in coverage against bell

Bell 4.65, 33 inch vert, 7.14 3 cone, 4.57 20 yard shuttle
Kupp 4.62, 31 inch vert, 6.75 3 cone, 4.08 20 yard shuttle

I'll bet on Bell succeeding.
Bell could have improved on all of these numbers if he worked for another year on them. I doubt he ever runs in the 4.5 range though. (Unless there is an injury that I don’t know about). I don’t think he will was going to be a round 1 guy. I still think he can have a good NFL career and be in the league 5 years.

Name all the other receivers who were 6’-0” and ran 4.65 who went in the top 3 rounds.
I'd say Reggie Wayne, but he supposedly ran a 4.46 40. After watching his pro career, I can't believe that was legitimate, but it didn't matter. I'm kind of surprised Bell didn't go higher, considering how much he torched everyone the last couple of years at Purdue. Nonetheless, best of luck to him.

Bell 4.65, 33 inch vert, 7.14 3 cone, 4.57 20 yard shuttle
Kupp 4.62, 31 inch vert, 6.75 3 cone, 4.08 20 yard shuttle

I'll bet on Bell succeeding.
You confirmed what I said… anyway I am betting on Bell succeeding also. My point is guys with his measurables don’t go much higher than he did.

ADVERTISEMENT