ADVERTISEMENT

David Bell...Combine

DAG10

All-American
Nov 2, 2018
Anybody go or watch?

I was there and saw him run, but, had to leave shortly after...probably not what he hoped for with respect to his 40-yd dash time, but, it was respectable.

I did not see him during route running...other than one deep pass...and, did not find anything online tonight at all.

Curious to see what all of his measurables were.

I feel like he is underrated at the moment, but, that is par for the course in that he has been underrated for a long time.

Anybody go or watch?

I was there and saw him run, but, had to leave shortly after...probably not what he hoped for with respect to his 40-yd dash time, but, it was respectable.

I did not see him during route running...other than one deep pass...and, did not find anything online tonight at all.

Curious to see what all of his measurables were.

I feel like he is underrated at the moment, but, that is par for the course in that he has been underrated for a long time.
Only one WR was slower in the 40 and he was near the bottom in just about every drill. His measurables were fine in terms of size, but the athletic profile being created right now will force him down the draft board. It will be interesting to see where he ends up, but his stock is definitely falling.

Reactions: guppy likes purdue
I think the combine can help a guy without a great volume of game tape more than it can hurt a guy who has proven it on the field.
Bell is a great route runner and has great hands. Yeh, he's not Megatron, but he produces, big time. Pair him with the right group of WRs and he'll be fine.

Only one WR was slower in the 40 and he was near the bottom in just about every drill. His measurables were fine in terms of size, but the athletic profile being created right now will force him down the draft board. It will be interesting to see where he ends up, but his stock is definitely falling.
Yeah, i dont see him dropping far though. I think this knocked him from a 2nd rounder to a late third rounder/early 4th rounder. Everyone knew prior to the combine he struggled to separate from coverage. The measurables told us why.

Yeah, i dont see him dropping far though. I think this knocked him from a 2nd rounder to a late third rounder/early 4th rounder. Everyone knew prior to the combine he struggled to separate from coverage. The measurables told us why.
Dropping to the 4th is a big fall in my mind but that's where this is going. More I think about this the more alarming it seems. I don't think I'd take him now unless he really falls FAR

if so about all these measurables why are these kids listening to the agents and leaving early?

Would just delay his 2nd contract another year
Yeah, Carsen poised to cash in big in NBA on that 2nd contract...

I believe Bell will be good and in his case that it may actually matter, but, no way to know that.

He wasnt going to change anything by staying another year.
And I get that notion...the exact same thing that was said about Carsen Edwards, and, to some extent (maybe even great extent), it is true...but, maybe some things do change over a year...maybe he improves some of those things that he struggled with...maybe the WR class is not as strong a year from now.

I think his situation is different from Edwards' in that he at least does not have to overcome the size issue also.

In Edwards' case...like say, the statement was true also, but, given what has happened, did he really gain/benefit from not staying another year?

And I get that notion...the exact same thing that was said about Carsen Edwards, and, to some extent (maybe even great extent), it is true...but, maybe some things do change over a year...maybe he improves some of those things that he struggled with...maybe the WR class is not as strong a year from now.

I think his situation is different from Edwards' in that he at least does not have to overcome the size issue also.

In Edwards' case...like say, the statement was true also, but, given what has happened, did he really gain/benefit from not staying another year?
THe things that will hold Bell back werent going to be improved by staying another year. The risk just wasnt going to be worth it. Same for Edwards.

if so about all these measurables why are these kids listening to the agents and leaving early?
Not worth the risk of coming back for injury. It's not like he's going to suddenly develop elite speed/skill by playing another year in college. Sure, he'd put up another 100 catches and 1000 yards but that doesn't change his combine numbers.
He's at his ceiling and needs to take advantage.

THe things that will hold Bell back werent going to be improved by staying another year. The risk just wasnt going to be worth it. Same for Edwards.
Don't disagree in the case of Bell I guess, but, what was the risk for Edwards? Aside of the injury...which is literally there for every guy, every time that they play...or practice even.

I believe Bell will be good and in his case that it may actually matter, but, no way to know that.

No way to know that for any prospect. But Bell wasn't going to get faster/quicker with another year at Purdue. And he had nothing left to prove on the field, production-wise.

Edwards wasn’t going to get taller.
Agree...so what did he gain by leaving early? The assertion was to get to his second contract sooner...never even saw the end of his first one. He was going to be in the exact same position for the exact same reason(s) a year later...he may have gotten drafted higher actually, but, it would not have changed anything with respect to what his limitation(s) was/is.

That being the case...it will be interesting to see what happens with Bell...to your (and others') point...he isn't going to get faster...Edwards not getting taller has proven to be something that indeed has worked against him...it was the concern...and, has bourn out...size was what "mattered" to basketball people, just as speed is what matters to football people...it will be interesting to see if that same limitation impacts Bell at the next level to the same extent as the size limitation has Edwards.

He’ll still make more money by age 30 than 99% of humans make. Still playing well in the G league too. I’d say his story is not done…

The coaches that know his value will see it. Production, size, model character, clutch hands, amazing route runner.
Almost every year, the OSU guys reveal themselves as complete headcases.

This year, what the tape will show is not what he did on the balls thrown to him, but the job he did in the red zone in sacrificing his own already terrific production. The way he sold his decoy routes were simply amazing, as 2-3 guys jumped them, leaving others open by design. Complete class young man, team player, coachable, solid off the field. I would take 50 David Bells.

Reactions: BlkGoldHoops
I think the combine can help a guy without a great volume of game tape more than it can hurt a guy who has proven it on the field.
Bell is a great route runner and has great hands. Yeh, he's not Megatron, but he produces, big time. Pair him with the right group of WRs and he'll be fine.

He's a bigger Marvin Harrison. Great route running and great hands, I will take that every single day.

Reactions: boilermaker75
Syracuse had Harrison running a 4.38...
Harrison might have been faster, but he also had the good fortune of playing with Manning. Definitely helped. As great as Justin Jefferson is right now, imagine what he could do with a great QB (no I don't think Cousins is a great QB)

Everyone knew that Bell was not going to run Rondale type numbers. If Bell gets in the right system, he will flourish. He has impeccable route running, great hands, goes up for jump balls, and does not shy away from contact. He is also tough, because he played with an injured shoulder for most of the year a couple of years ago.

Harrison might have been faster, but he also had the good fortune of playing with Manning. Definitely helped. As great as Justin Jefferson is right now, imagine what he could do with a great QB (no I don't think Cousins is a great QB)

Everyone knew that Bell was not going to run Rondale type numbers. If Bell gets in the right system, he will flourish. He has impeccable route running, great hands, goes up for jump balls, and does not shy away from contact. He is also tough, because he played with an injured shoulder for most of the year a couple of years ago.
Like nat has been saying, it's not even the running, it's the other drills. It's bad. There isn't anyone with this poor of an athletic profile flourishing in the NFL.

He’ll still make more money by age 30 than 99% of humans make. Still playing well in the G league too. I’d say his story is not done…
Agreed. Barring injury and/or stupidity he'll be a millionaire several times over even without ever playing another minute in the NBA. Overseas pays a lot of money these days.

Agree. Bell has proven what he can do on the field. He won’t get more athletic. Same can be said for Swanigan. He was an excellent college basketball player who worked his ass off and he left at the right time too for the same reason. There was nothing left to prove and he wasn’t going to get any faster or more athletic. I don’t think Bell will have trouble finding a role in the NFL like Biggie did in NBA

Agree...so what did he gain by leaving early? The assertion was to get to his second contract sooner...never even saw the end of his first one. He was going to be in the exact same position for the exact same reason(s) a year later...he may have gotten drafted higher actually, but, it would not have changed anything with respect to what his limitation(s) was/is.

That being the case...it will be interesting to see what happens with Bell...to your (and others') point...he isn't going to get faster...Edwards not getting taller has proven to be something that indeed has worked against him...it was the concern...and, has bourn out...size was what "mattered" to basketball people, just as speed is what matters to football people...it will be interesting to see if that same limitation impacts Bell at the next level to the same extent as the size limitation has Edwards.
While Carsen has been disappointing in the NBA he locked in 3 million dollars more than the average person earns in a lifetime by leaving (4.5 million as of this year but he got 2 initially)

While Carsen has been disappointing in the NBA he locked in 3 million dollars more than the average person earns in a lifetime by leaving (4.5 million as of this year but he got 2 initially)
So the average lifetime earnings is 1.5 mil? That’s f@cking sad

Agreed. Barring injury and/or stupidity he'll be a millionaire several times over even without ever playing another minute in the NBA. Overseas pays a lot of money these days.
what they make is somewhat irrelevant. Making a million doesn't make one a "millionaire". It's what you do with it.

I know working class Joes who have more wealth than many highly-paid athletes.

So the average lifetime earnings is 1.5 mil? That’s f@cking sad
Median annual earnings is $41,535 according to U.S. Census data. Obviously that will increase over time, but multiply that by 40 years and you get to about $1.6 million. It's not great.

Carsen cashed in when he could. As you said, he wasn't getting any taller.

what they make is somewhat irrelevant. Making a million doesn't make one a "millionaire". It's what you do with it.

I know working class Joes who have more wealth than many highly-paid athletes.

Absolutely, but making millions of dollars faster and earlier certainly has its advantages if you manage your money well.

Median annual earnings is $41,535 according to U.S. Census data. Obviously that will increase over time, but multiply that by 40 years and you get to about $1.6 million. It's not great.

Carsen cashed in when he could. As you said, he wasn't getting any taller.

Purdue grads would be higher, much higher for engineers

Absolutely, but making millions of dollars faster and earlier certainly has its advantages if you manage your money well.

How many manage their money well? Maybe these days they get connected to good financial management.

Still, these athletes get it all when they are still immature and when they have to pay agents, want to maintain an NFL/NBA lifestyles, etc.

-apples and oranges. Nothing is guaranteed in the nfl. Few second rounders are guaranteed on the nba. Carsen got PAID. The difference between his pick and say the 15 picks in front of him were minimal but if he slipped a few more picks back he probably doesn’t get the guaranteed contract. He played it perfectly.

I'd have to look it up to be exact, but guaranteed contracts for 2nd rounders are fairly common, especially for the top 1/3 of the 2nd round. Hammons also had a guaranteed contract.

CE also had a very good Summer League which I think cemented the guarantee.

Last edited:
Reactions: DAG10
Purdue grads would be higher, much higher for engineers
I’d second this. I’ve had to pick the pieces up from things like debilitating medical issues in grad school which caused me to work blue collar jobs and even I make almost double that

How many manage their money well? Maybe these days they get connected to good financial management.

Still, these athletes get it all when they are still immature and when they have to pay agents, want to maintain an NFL/NBA lifestyles, etc.
I knew a guy In LA whose son played in the pac ten then in the pros for a minute .. the guy raised his son to live like he made 40k a year.. to the point where the kid really didn’t protest too much by the time he was ready to go pro. Turned out the kid made near the league minimum for 4 years and then football was done. And he was set for life.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT