ADVERTISEMENT

David Bell - Best Purdue WR...

I suppose that Rondale being more of a great YAC type of WR vs Bell being catching everything on his way.
They really do pose problems to opposing team.
Can't wait until the duo plays with Wright for even more headache for the others.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
Bell reminds me of Marvin Harrison. Super smooth, great route runner, crazy good hands and calm demeanor. Marvin might have been faster but man Bell is a vacuum. Might be a guy who gets dogged for lack of perceived speed At the draft but really excels in the NFL with his hands and route running.

Bell reminds me of Marvin Harrison. Super smooth, great route runner, crazy good hands and calm demeanor. Marvin might have been faster but man Bell is a vacuum. Might be a guy who gets dogged for lack of perceived speed At the draft but really excels in the NFL with his hands and route running.

Rice .. for one he looks like him playing out there. Secondly he’s 6’2” with the same 4.6 forty. Third .. the way he improved in one offseason is very rice-Esque. The kid is a pro playing IN the big ten

Reggie Wayne.

My time watching Purdue football only goes back to the fall of 1972, so I'm not able to talk about receivers who came before that time, but I've always thought that Darryl Stingley was among the best (19th pick in the first round of the NFL 1973 draft). Stingley wasn't the fastest (that would be Larry Burton), but he had great speed, great hands, and ran good routes. Bell is better.

I think David is going to have tremendous success in the pros. He played through a shoulder injury last year, and look at the numbers he put up. He just has that knack of finding seams and getting open, his runs crisps routes, and he can go up and win the high passes. He also works at constantly making himself better.

I have a question though. We will have him for this year and next year, and then he should be turning pro. I don't see him staying all four years, similar to George.

In the 2022 class for IN, when we will lose David, I am hearing Omar Cooper from Lawrence North might be David like (there is only one David, but he has a lot of David's qualities). Has anyone seen him play? Is that true? Do we have a shot with him, because I am seeing him as the top WR in IN in the 2022 class?

I remember about a year and a half ago someone on here was trying to argue that Bell was way overrated because of “Indianapolis bias” and that Milton Wright was “way way better”.
Same person proceeded to accuse me of being racist before I put him on ignore.
My my how stupid that person looks now.

I would think we should be getting serious looks from any top rated WR in the midwest, especially IN.

Wright is becoming very good in his own right and it's conceivable to think he may also have the option of turning pro early if he continues to improve and produce. He already has prototypical NFL size.

My time watching Purdue football only goes back to the fall of 1972, so I'm not able to talk about receivers who came before that time, but I've always thought that Darryl Stingley was among the best (19th pick in the first round of the NFL 1973 draft). Stingley wasn't the fastest (that would be Larry Burton), but he had great speed, great hands, and ran good routes. Bell is better.

Burton was faster than Rondale?

At one time Burton held the world record in the 60; finished 4th in the 200 meters in the 1972 Olympics. As Ara Parseghian said regarding Notre Dame's plans for defending Burton: "There are only 3 men in the world faster than Larry Burton, and none of them play in the Notre Dame backfield."

Nice, was unaware

David Bell has had a tremendous start to his Purdue career, and he certainly exhibits all the skills and discipline you'd want in a top receiver.....if he keeps it going and building upon what he's done - you'd certainly put him right at the top.....just looking forward to watching him continue as a Boilermaker. Different style and type of explosiveness than Rondale Moore.....and still holding out hope they can form a duo to terrorize opposing defenses.

As to whom I've seen? Beyond those others have mentioned - IMO underrated in Purdue laurels is Steve Bryant, partly because he was a JC transfer and only played two years for the Boilers ('80, '81), but he could play. He also had a great finish to the game when Purdue upset Notre Dame in Ross-Ade in '81 - that memory stands out with me.

David Bell is the first Purdue player to have 5 straight 100-yd receiving games....that tells you something as well.

Reactions: Purdue85
He has some of the best hands around period. Everything thrown his way is catchable for him.
He makes catches 90% of the time that the average college receiver can make 25% of the time. His touchdown reception yesterday and his 3rd and 11 one handed grab to ice the game at the end were both nothing short of awesome efforts. As much as I like our stable of receivers, no one else makes both of those catches and maybe one or two guys could have made one of them. He almost seems to not need separation- cannot ever remember a Purdue receiver making that many catches in traffic and when covered closely. If he keeps this up, I think he will be Purdue's GOAT before he goes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT