ADVERTISEMENT

David Bell’s Announcement

KentuckyBoiler

All-American
Jul 6, 2011
David Bell announces tomorrow at 1:30pm from what 247Sports has on their website. We got another crystal ball this morning, so I would take that as a very good sign the day before he officially announces. Not sure about everyone else, but I am getting excited for his announcement tomorrow. Very similar to how I felt for Rondale’s announcement last year.

Boiler Up!!

I’ll enjoy him picking Purdue...and knowing that some IU fans will be watching “just in case”
Not sure any IU fan will be watching the commitment. Will watch the game to see Taiwan Mullen. The Bell ship has sailed which is why IU is taking Daquon Green the transfer from Florida.

Reactions: plcosby
Not sure any IU fan will be watching the commitment. Will watch the game to see Taiwan Mullen. The Bell ship has sailed which is why IU is taking Daquon Green the transfer from Florida.

Saw his highlights...woof

Reminds me of your former CB Fant...always celebrating “good defense” after uncalled passed interference

At least that new transfer knows who is OC is...unlike the high schoolers who found out after NSD that DeBord was retiring

I mean surely your board has discussed this questionable move by Allen since some on your board (courtswenso) are so quick to call Brohm out for “lying to players”

Saw his highlights...woof

Reminds me of your former CB Fant...always celebrating “good defense” after uncalled passed interference

At least that new transfer knows who is OC is...unlike the high schoolers who found out after NSD that DeBord was retiring

I mean surely your board has discussed this questionable move by Allen since some on your board (courtswenso) are so quick to call Brohm out for “lying to players”
You are definitely entitled to your opinion. I choose to listen to the scouts that get paid to watch players for a living and take their word for it. Not saying they are always right but I tend to lean towards what they say compared to an average fan.

On paper, Bell and Green appear to be very comparable. At this point, their collegiate stats are nearly identical, with Green having a slight edge in receptions (1) and yards (3).

On paper, Bell and Green appear to be very comparable. At this point, their collegiate stats are nearly identical, with Green having a slight edge in receptions (1) and yards (3).

tenor.gif

If that was supposed to be a shot at me I never said anywhere that Green and Bell are comparable players. However they are both 4 stars out of high school and Green had high offers just like Bell. For whatever reason Green didn't pan out at Florida. Maybe a change of scenery does him well.

If that was supposed to be a shot at me I never said anywhere that Green and Bell are comparable players. However they are both 4 stars out of high school and Green had high offers just like Bell. For whatever reason Green didn't pan out at Florida. Maybe a change of scenery does him well.
4aca5feece47ed4df315ce68b63a5fb3.jpg

No, that wasn’t a shot at you. Just preparing for the inevitable claims that “it’s not fair” that Green isn’t factored into recruiting class rankings, similar to those made when the 4*, a.k.a. 3rd-string, QB from Utah announced his transfer. Each may find success at their new school, we’ll see how it plays out.

Reactions: peytonrules
That's weird because the countdown is showing 1:30 Central here (I'm in Central)

I went to a website for the event and all I saw was that it began at noon, but no time zone was shown. As the event is held in Texas, that part of Texas is central time, but who knows. I would like to think that the website converts the time automatically to where you are located, but obviously it doesn't with other people's comments.

Purdue had a stud transfer from Notre Dame who was a 4* top 250 guy. He had 1 catch at Purdue for 7 yards before leaving school. Transfers are never a sure thing unfortunately.

You are definitely entitled to your opinion. I choose to listen to the scouts that get paid to watch players for a living and take their word for it. Not saying they are always right but I tend to lean towards what they say compared to an average fan.

Curious to hear your thoughts on your program versus ours. It seems that there are several on your board who think Brohm isn't worth the "possible" $6 million a year while discounting what he has done in 2 years. If I were an IU fan, I wouldn't be happy about the fact Brohm beat my team twice with subpar talent.

Curious to hear your thoughts on your program versus ours. It seems that there are several on your board who think Brohm isn't worth the "possible" $6 million a year while discounting what he has done in 2 years. If I were an IU fan, I wouldn't be happy about the fact Brohm beat my team twice with subpar talent.

Love how they know he’s getting $6 mill, they haven’t even finalized a contract. What should I expect from them I guess

They have a high school coach and we have an NFL coach. Game over.

I’m just jealous he only has to watch half the game tomorrow...us Purdue fans have to watch the whole thing since the eastern team has signed boilermakers on both sides of the ball

If you are asking me if I thing Brohm is worth $6 Million I would say no way. Not yet at least. I mean he is what 13-13 in two years at a power 5 conference. Now will he become worth it, possibly but that is a wait and see but I don't have to pay the salary. As far as Purdue beating IU with subpar talent I don't buy that subpar talent part. Did you have subpar talent when you beat Iowa at Iowa last year? Did you have subpar talent when you beat Ohio State this year? I think Purdue fans make to much of the subpar talent. There was talent on that roster it just needed to be coached better. As far as IU's program I am happy with the way Allen is building the program. This recruiting class is one of the highest ever for IU. I think the offensive coordinator hire is going to be huge for the program.

If you are asking me if I thing Brohm is worth $6 Million I would say no way. Not yet at least. I mean he is what 13-13 in two years at a power 5 conference. Now will he become worth it, possibly but that is a wait and see but I don't have to pay the salary. As far as Purdue beating IU with subpar talent I don't buy that subpar talent part. Did you have subpar talent when you beat Iowa at Iowa last year? Did you have subpar talent when you beat Ohio State this year? I think Purdue fans make to much of the subpar talent. There was talent on that roster it just needed to be coached better. As far as IU's program I am happy with the way Allen is building the program. This recruiting class is one of the highest ever for IU. I think the offensive coordinator hire is going to be huge for the program.

Do you realize $6mill is just a made up figure that people were guessing about?

Do you realize $6mill is just a made up figure that people were guessing about?
I didn't bring it up. It has been brought up on this site numerous times. If you go back and look at the threads when Brohm announced he was coming back it is Purdue people throwing the $6 million number around.

I think the subpar talent is absolutely true. Were there some good players on the roster? Absolutely, but overall, the talent/depth was one of the worst in P5 and certainly in the conference. I think the average recruiting ranking for our last 4 classes was in the 60's. Brohm was able to scheme and coach to be able to make up for the talent deficit between Purdue and other teams he played against.

While so many are so certain it's $6 million (which there is no proof of), even if we are going to pay him that, it's all about potential. We're paying him based on what we think he will be several years down the road. The significance of losing him is far greater than the increase in salary that we will be paying. Especially when you factor in the BTN money and the increased attendance and the monetary gains from it.

Reactions: BoilerGal74
Purdue had a stud transfer from Notre Dame who was a 4* top 250 guy. He had 1 catch at Purdue for 7 yards before leaving school. Transfers are never a sure thing unfortunately.
We also had a 5 star transfer from Iowa a few years ago. I think he played in a few games before his life "moving" event... the move was to prison if I remember correctly.

We also had a 5 star transfer from Iowa a few years ago. I think he played in a few games before his life "moving" event... the move was to prison if I remember correctly.

It was more than a few! It was like 13 years ago. Time flies!

There are several reasons a former highly rated recruit might transfer and most of them aren't great news for the new school.

Except now in the age of 5* QBs transferring because they don't want to wait a year to be the star.

Justin Fields just committed to Ohio State.

There are several reasons a former highly rated recruit might transfer and most of them aren't great news for the new school.
Don’t tell iu that. They’re over on their board doing backflips about their new qb and wr.

If you believe national ratings when they say great things about a player then you should also believe them when they rank a player as a low 3 star or 2 star player as well.

If you believe national ratings when they say great things about a player then you should also believe them when they rank a player as a low 3 star or 2 star player as well.

That's so profound, it has to be up there with:

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

Or...

You are who you think you are.

I think we need to put Bigs' quote on a monument. Or, on a meme . . .

Don’t tell iu that. They’re over on their board doing backflips about their new qb and wr.

Both IU fans optimism and your pessimism about the transfers mean nothing. Only time will tell. Let's revisit and argue in a few years.

That's so profound, it has to be up there with:

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

Or...

You are who you think you are.

I think we need to put Bigs' quote on a monument. Or, on a meme . . .

I was once banned for being critical of Hazell's recruitment of 2 star players. And the entire board said they can't be as bad as their national ranking. And that they were hidden nuggets. Well 2 years later the truth came out. They all were as bad as their national rating.

That's I why I have an I told you so attitude on this board! I'm not always right. But I put a lot more confidence in the ratings of a guy who makes rating recruits his job verses the homer posters here. If Bell is as good as the national rankings say he is, then our 2 star recruits are also as bad as their national rankings

I was once banned for being critical of Hazell's recruitment of 2 star players. And the entire board said they can't be as bad as their national ranking. And that they were hidden nuggets. Well 2 years later the truth came out. They all were as bad as their national rating.

That's I why I have an I told you so attitude on this board! I'm not always right. But I put a lot more confidence in the ratings of a guy who makes rating recruits his job verses the homer posters here. If Bell is as good as the national rankings say he is, then our 2 star recruits are also as bad as their national rankings

You're a legend.
And, don't sell yourself short: you're ALWAYS right.

I think it’s very interesting that so many IU fans downplay Brohm’s recruiting while regarding Allen as some kind of recruit whisperer. Brohm’s current class, without Bell, is ranked 41 spots higher than the 5 year average before he arrived at Purdue. Allen’s class is currently 9 spots ahead of IU’s average for the same time period prior to him....and this class that is being touted as one of the best ever for them is currently one spot behind where Wilson finished in back-to-back years.

Reactions: BoilerAlumni12
I think it’s very interesting that so many IU fans downplay Brohm’s recruiting while regarding Allen as some kind of recruit whisperer. Brohm’s current class, without Bell, is ranked 41 spots higher than the 5 year average before he arrived at Purdue. Allen’s class is currently 9 spots ahead of IU’s average for the same time period prior to him....and this class that is being touted as one of the best ever for them is currently one spot behind where Wilson finished in back-to-back years.

Reality doesn't matter with IU fans. How else would they still be able to follow IU football?

ADVERTISEMENT