ADVERTISEMENT

Dammit...happy for Zach but losing him will hurt.

Obviously, a lot of Zach's decision will be based on what he here's from people in the NBA. I wonder, though, how much of Zach's decision will be based on his discussions with Matt Painter. Can Painter sell Zach on adapting the offense in a way that will allow Edey to develop what NBA teams are looking for?

I don't say that to be critical of Painter. But, I could also see how Zach would take his chances in the draft if the alternative is another 35+ games of getting beat on in the post.

I’m actually surprised he hasn’t said anything one way or the other, guessing he’s already made a decision.

Obviously, a lot of Zach's decision will be based on what he here's from people in the NBA. I wonder, though, how much of Zach's decision will be based on his discussions with Matt Painter. Can Painter sell Zach on adapting the offense in a way that will allow Edey to develop what NBA teams are looking for?

I don't say that to be critical of Painter. But, I could also see how Zach would take his chances in the draft if the alternative is another 35+ games of getting beat on in the post.
Matt will not let Zach spend a lot of time around the 3 pt line, I am sure of that.

Another perfect NIL opportunity......

Hey, Zach - how can you possibly survive another season in the Big Ten (plus four soon to be six)?

s-l1600.jpg

He said it would literally come down to the last minute…
I know, I guess I wasn’t expecting it to literally be the last minute lol. I think he’s made his mind up, I’m not mad at him or anything, just figured to see an announcement by now. I’ve made my point clear, no problem either way if he stays or goes, no doubt Purdue is better if he returns though.

If he is staying, by waiting until the last night he is getting extra media coverage. Every little bit of exposure helps in the NIL era.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
It’s possible. JaJuan Johnson went from 4 three point attempts as a junior to 51 as a senior. Painter already likes to use Edey as a screener. I could see some pick n pop being added to the mix.
Agree. The concept of Zach shooting some threes when left open is not mutually exclusive to him spending most of his time in the blocks.

Agree. The concept of Zach shooting some threes when left open is not mutually exclusive to him spending most of his time in the blocks.
No, but the concept of being the BEST OFFENSIVE REBOUNDER IN THE COUNTRY is exclusive to him spending most of his time in the blocks.
Of COURSE he can be free to take a very occasional 3, same as any number of significant seniors have had the freedom to do. Until they miss a few.....
But if you want him out there more than once a game, versus in the paint, you are nuts.

Reactions: northside100
Again, having him be able to make the occasional jumper is a good thing. Is he going to be Dirk Nowitzki? No, but being able to pick and pop will help the team. Yeah, occasionally he will be out of position for offensive rebounds, but he will pull the opposing big out as well which will open the lane for Gillis or Furst.

No, but the concept of being the BEST OFFENSIVE REBOUNDER IN THE COUNTRY is exclusive to him spending most of his time in the blocks.
Of COURSE he can be free to take a very occasional 3, same as any number of significant seniors have had the freedom to do. Until they miss a few.....
But if you want him out there more than once a game, versus in the paint, you are nuts.
Completely understand and agree with your point, I'd just add that he's already out at the top of the key setting screens and setting up dribble hand offs way more than once a game.

That action was very effective at times either as a pick and roll action for Zach or setting up Braden (mostly) or others for a good look if they hedge to take away Zach on the lob (which pretty much everyone did after a while). Zach's ability to hold and shoot off of that action just adds another wrinkle that team's have to defend against. I agree with you that it's unlikely that he'll shoot many.

It depends how well he can shoot. If he can hit 37% or better, I think it makes sense to mix in some pick and pop and give the D another thing to account for. It will open up the lane and makes ball screens even more difficult to defend.

It would be awesome if our supposed shooters could make a three! That would definitely give defenses something to think about and stop them from sagging back and around Edey! Late in the season teams just dared us to shoot the three and we failed

And I'm not sure why there is so much focus on the 3-point line. We should be comfortable having him take a 12-15 footer.
I'm very comfortable with that. However, in the analytical world (which CMP does believe in) that mid range shot is not the desired shot to take. I think that is why people are talking about the 3 ball more than the mid-range shot. Again, I would love to see him take that shot. There is no reason he couldn't be a very effective scorer from that range.

I'm very comfortable with that. However, in the analytical world (which CMP does believe in) that mid range shot is not the desired shot to take. I think that is why people are talking about the 3 ball more than the mid-range shot. Again, I would love to see him take that shot. There is no reason he couldn't be a very effective scorer from that range.
If he is comfortable from three, I don’t see a lot of value in him taking many long twos. Threes are worth more and there is a much better chance of Edey being unguarded from three. By forcing defenses to defend the three, the threat does more for spacing and opening up the lane.

Reactions: Boiler Buck
If he is comfortable from three, I don’t see a lot of value in him taking many long twos. Threes are worth more and there is a much better chance of Edey being unguarded from three. By forcing defenses to defend the three, the threat does more for spacing and opening up the lane.
The problem with Edey taking threes is you have the best offensive rebounder in the Country out of position to make a rebound.
But it would put pressure on the opposing team and would open up the driving lane for Smith, Colvin, Heide, Lowyer etc.

The problem with Edey taking threes is you have the best offensive rebounder in the Country out of position to make a rebound.
But it would put pressure on the opposing team and would open up the driving lane for Smith, Colvin, Heide, Lowyer etc.
Agree and he also wouldn’t be drawing fouls, but it should be a shot Edey can get off with a very low chance of a turnover and a good opportunity for an offensive rebound still exists with his man also out of rebounding position. I don’t think it’s a high volume play, but I like the idea of making the defense account for it on ball screens.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT