ADVERTISEMENT

Current ESPN NCAA projections

MichaelRR

Redshirt Freshman
Mar 17, 2022
We are in the last 4 out. That pretty much destroys anyone's opinion that we played a strong schedule or we are "doing great" at 10-2 versus a weak schedule. To get in from here we likely need to go 11-7 or better in BT play, and frankly, I don't think we can. I see 8-10 to 9-9 as our likely finish, again somewhere about 8th finish and the WNIT.

We are in the last 4 out. That pretty much destroys anyone's opinion that we played a strong schedule or we are "doing great" at 10-2 versus a weak schedule. To get in from here we likely need to go 11-7 or better in BT play, and frankly, I don't think we can. I see 8-10 to 9-9 as our likely finish, again somewhere about 8th finish and the WNIT.
Why does that destroy anything? Purdue is 10-2 including an OT loss to a good Maryland team. Purdue has done pretty well, my guess is 10-8 gets them in as long as they win a game in the Big Ten tourney. No one knows how conference seasons will turn out throughout the season so saying at least 11-7 seems far fetched, truth is who knows? My eye test tells me Purdue will likely struggle against the top teams, hopefully, they can pull off an upset or two.

Reactions: MichaelRR
So would have playing the top 10 teams in a row and losing have helped them get into the tournament. The schedule was what it needed to be for this years team and if we luck out and get a couple of upsets we will make the tournament. Everyone knows this isn't a great team so why be so negative. We have to dig our way out of the bottom and that will take a little bit of time. WE couls make it happen real quick oif Coach would cheat with abandon to get the very top players but that isn't going to happen

Reactions: MichaelRR
So would have playing the top 10 teams in a row and losing have helped them get into the tournament. The schedule was what it needed to be for this years team and if we luck out and get a couple of upsets we will make the tournament. Everyone knows this isn't a great team so why be so negative. We have to dig our way out of the bottom and that will take a little bit of time. WE couls make it happen real quick oif Coach would cheat with abandon to get the very top players but that isn't going to happen
Or if we had hired a job ready coach and not one having to learn OTJ.... Look at UILL with their first year coach. But to hear a couple of the posters here, we are a slam dunk for the NCAA's and played a very tough schedule, those are who I am mostly addressing this to.

No, I don't advocate for a schedule like Northwestern's, they scheduled a little too ambitiously, but beating Marshall and SIUE are not games that prepare us for BT play either. I would have liked to seen 3-4 of the weakest teams upgraded to mid to higher level MAC teams or the equivalent.

Reactions: Boilerupone
I'd say last four out is a fair assessment of us to this point. Closing out versus Maryland probably puts us as last four in. I'm satisfied with how the team has performed to this point, relative to our talent and the opposition. going 10-8 in conference, especially if we can beat a top team or two, which I don't think is unrealistic (not going to bet on it but certainly won't be shocked if/when it happens), and winning at least one game in B10 tourney should get us in the NCAA. Green at UIUC has certainly started strongly (thank you transfer portal), she'd done pretty well at Dayton so not especially surprising.

I'd say last four out is a fair assessment of us to this point. Closing out versus Maryland probably puts us as last four in. I'm satisfied with how the team has performed to this point, relative to our talent and the opposition. going 10-8 in conference, especially if we can beat a top team or two, which I don't think is unrealistic (not going to bet on it but certainly won't be shocked if/when it happens), and winning at least one game in B10 tourney should get us in the NCAA. Green at UIUC has certainly started strongly (thank you transfer portal), she'd done pretty well at Dayton so not especially surprising.
I think beating any of the top 4 teams is beyond this teams ability, luckily we got a VERY favorable schedule only facing the top 4 teams 5 times, and each of the next tier teams (which I am currently defining as NebU, UMary, and UILL (until they fall on their face)) once each. To get to 10-8 we can lose all those games, as long as we win everything else. Of the above 7 games, home to Nebraska is probably our best upset chance left, unless they really are 23 points better than UMary. Personally I think we still drop a game to Northwestern, MSU at home, or at UMinn or PSU to finish 9-9 overall.

Reactions: Boilerupone
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT