ADVERTISEMENT

Current 2 Deep Analysis:

JohnnyDoeBoiler

All-American
Sep 23, 2013
West Lafayette
Of the 22 players on the offensive side of the ball on the 2 deeps, there are 19 players who would be considered Hazel recruits. The only ones would be Brohm recruits would be Rondale Moore, DJ Edwards, and Viktor Beach. Of the starting 11, 9 are Hazel recruits.

On the defensive side of the ball, 11 of the players are Hazell recruits. Of the starting 11, 8 of the players are Hazel recruits.

Of the starting 11 for the offense against NU:
NR: Swingler,
2 Stars: Knox, Herdman, Zico, Anthrop, Sparks, Hermanns, Edwards, Barron,
3 Stars: McCann, Sindelar

Of the other 11 in the 2 Deep:
NR:Burgess,
2 Stars: Wright (JUCO 3 Star), Mendez, Yacoobi, Hopkins,
3 Stars: Evans, Beach, Smart, Blough, Jones
4 Stars: Moore

Now, Coach Brohm has repeatedly stated about the talent issues within the program right now and having to tread a very thin line to win. He can scheme and plan as much as he wants but if the players simply don't have the talent and then play idiotic at times...there isn't much there in the way to make things happen when they go wrong. Up to this point in time, the defense hasn't been the issue holding the team back. Currently Purdue is 2 - 7 (28.5%) in the red zone. The next closest in the conference is at nearly 60%. If Purdue is just average in the redzone, Purdue is currently sitting at 2-0 and the aura around the program is much, much different.

This rebuild is going to take time and as the lower rated and less talented players make their way through the program and Brohm's are able to get in, gain experience, and solidfy the roster...there are going to be more games like EMU than there are going to be Missouri from 2017.

Bumps in the road but improvement is occurring and if you can't clearly see that...you need to honestly take a deeper look at what Brohm is working with right now.

Solid analysis

Talent + Experience
A lot of our starters are lacking in one or the other. Young players (other than Moore) are starting when they should have a year or 2 to develop.

This is where transfers helped tremendously last year. This year those 70's rated recruiting classes are yielding low margins for error. Cannot get away with sloppy play and mental gaffes.

Growing pains..

Solid analysis

Talent + Experience
A lot of our starters are lacking in one or the other. Young players (other than Moore) are starting when they should have a year or 2 to develop.

This is where transfers helped tremendously last year. This year those 70's rated recruiting classes are yielding low margins for error. Cannot get away with sloppy play and mental gaffes.

Growing pains..
But I feel like this could be easily spun to an advantage for Purdue given that Coach Brohm can show...hey, when we have talent we can be ultra competitive and if you have skill and hard work, there is a clear path to playing time right now. In all honesty, there could be as many as 3 or 4 true freshman or RS freshman starting next season or playing double digit snaps per game (George Karlaftis, Marcin Grant, Steven Faucheux, Dontay Hunter, Cory Trice).

This isn't a Kansas, IU, or Illinois situation where...yeah, talented players can come play early but the coaching is very suspect. Purdue's coaching staff is a known commodity and has shown when they have some skill, they can compete and win ballgames.

But I feel like this could be easily spun to an advantage for Purdue given that Coach Brohm can show...hey, when we have talent we can be ultra competitive and if you have skill and hard work, there is a clear path to playing time right now. In all honesty, there could be as many as 3 or 4 true freshman or RS freshman starting next season or playing double digit snaps per game (George Karlaftis, Marcin Grant, Steven Faucheux, Dontay Hunter, Cory Trice).

This isn't a Kansas, IU, or Illinois situation where...yeah, talented players can come play early but the coaching is very suspect. Purdue's coaching staff is a known commodity and has shown when they have some skill, they can compete and win ballgames.
Of course. But it seems for the past 2 days people want to spin it the other way. That year 2 < year 1 means our coach is all of a sudden no good. Or maybe that's just the vocal minority. 2-3 years down the line Brohm will have talented upperclassmen in the 2-deeps and can be judged fairly.

Dennis Edwards, Beach, Wright, Zico, Moore, Pittman are all Brohm’s offensive recruits. Shane Evans also transferred in with Brohm.

I like the breakdown of the two deeps.

Reactions: Gary Boiler
Dennis Edwards, Beach, Wright, Zico, Moore, Pittman are all Brohm’s offensive recruits. Shane Evans also transferred in with Brohm.

I was looking at the 2 deeps from prior to the NU game from OurLads. Didn't have Pittman on there as one of the first two TE options..only Hopkins and Hermans. If I can get the newly released one for Missouri, I can update.

Of the 22 players on the offensive side of the ball on the 2 deeps, there are 19 players who would be considered Hazel recruits. The only ones would be Brohm recruits would be Rondale Moore, DJ Edwards, and Viktor Beach. Of the starting 11, 9 are Hazel recruits.

On the defensive side of the ball, 11 of the players are Hazell recruits. Of the starting 11, 8 of the players are Hazel recruits.

Now, Coach Brohm has repeatedly stated about the talent issues within the program right now and having to tread a very thin line to win. He can scheme and plan as much as he wants but if the players simply don't have the talent and then play idiotic at times...there isn't much there in the way to make things happen when they go wrong. Up to this point in time, the defense hasn't been the issue holding the team back. Currently Purdue is 2 - 7 (28.5%) in the red zone. The next closest in the conference is at nearly 60%. If Purdue is just average in the redzone, Purdue is currently sitting at 2-0 and the aura around the program is much, much different.

This rebuild is going to take time and as the lower rated and less talented players make their way through the program and Brohm's are able to get in, gain experience, and solidfy the roster...there are going to be more games like EMU than there are going to be Missouri from 2017.

Bumps in the road but improvement is occurring and if you can't clearly see that...you need to honestly take a deeper look at what Brohm is working with right now.

But, but, but...according to Wolegib, this is Brohm's team and those are now Brohm's players. And according to him, Brohm politely asked most of the Hazell recruits to leave the team and should have went after grad transfers/JUCO players. I mean that's what Wolegib said. And he can't be wrong.

But, but, but...according to Wolegib, this is Brohm's team and those are now Brohm's players. And according to him, Brohm politely asked most of the Hazell recruits to leave the team and should have went after grad transfers/JUCO players. I mean that's what Wolegib said. And he can't be wrong.
That was his most moronic post to date.

Reactions: purduepat1969

Yep, but to be fair Edwards, Wright, Zico, and Evans were plugs Brohm had to fill holes, I don't think it is quite the same as recruiting someone for years based on your system and grooming them. It really takes at least 2 years to have any meaningful impact from recruits in football. Last year we had a lot more talent on defense (Gelen, Bentley, Hunte, Larkin, Danny E, Okonye, Wilson, TJ) and were able to win with those guys motivated and coached. You cannot coach talent, I think this breakdown above is outstanding. Having said that, we will be very young again next year, would not be surprised if we have 4-5 true freshmen starting on defense by the end of the season. It will be 2020 before I think we can fairly say this is Brohm's team.

Yep, but to be fair Edwards, Wright, Zico, and Evans were plugs Brohm had to fill holes, I don't think it is quite the same as recruiting someone for years based on your system and grooming them. It really takes at least 2 years to have any meaningful impact from recruits in football. Last year we had a lot more talent on defense (Gelen, Bentley, Hunte, Larkin, Danny E, Okonye, Wilson, TJ) and were able to win with those guys motivated and coached. You cannot coach talent, I think this breakdown above is outstanding. Having said that, we will be very young again next year, would not be surprised if we have 4-5 true freshmen starting on defense by the end of the season. It will be 2020 before I think we can fairly say this is Brohm's team.
The realization that came to me as I was doing this was, in effect. Look at how much Purdue struggled under Hazel and how many things had to go right for Purdue last year to get to 7 wins. Now, imagine the guys playing behind all those guys (specifically on defense) are the backups to those starters when we all knew Purdue had real depth issues.

Coaching can cover up only so much...especially when the issue is overall depth.

The realization that came to me as I was doing this was, in effect. Look at how much Purdue struggled under Hazel and how many things had to go right for Purdue last year to get to 7 wins. Now, imagine the guys playing behind all those guys (specifically on defense) are the backups to those starters when we all knew Purdue had real depth issues.

Coaching can cover up only so much...especially when the issue is overall depth.

Yep. That 4th and 15 play had Kenneth Major on the WR and he got fooled. That is a former WKU de-commit low 2-star redshirt freshman. No offense to him, but we blitzed and almost got to the QB and everyone else appeared to be doing the right thing on that play. That is a perfect example of you are only as good as the weakest link on defense. That entire set of 4 downs we were good except the one player on one down. That is what it comes down to with football.

That was his most moronic post to date.

I've had much worse, and so have you. Just because you don't agree with my posts, doesn't make them moronic. Last year, I predicted we'd go 6-6, with a bowl bid and I was called moronic and delusional by almost every poster here until the end of the season.

So here's to your posts. rather than wasting your time cutting mine down, how about providing your own "ORIGINAL" ideas ? a novel concept that few are brave enough to do.

brohm said he's going to start sitting people for making stupid costly mistakes. hey, that idea should have already been in place starting with last year. and anybody on this current team should have known it. that's called game preparation and discipline.

let's not dwell on Hazell. WE all know his was the worst coach in our history.

I've had much worse, and so have you. Just because you don't agree with my posts, doesn't make them moronic. Last year, I predicted we'd go 6-6, with a bowl bid and I was called moronic and delusional by almost every poster here until the end of the season.

So here's to your posts. rather than wasting your time cutting mine down, how about providing your own "ORIGINAL" ideas ? a novel concept that few are brave enough to do.

brohm said he's going to start sitting people for making stupid costly mistakes. hey, that idea should have already been in place starting with last year. and anybody on this current team should have known it. that's called game preparation and discipline.
You stated it’s Brohms team. Teams are built in reciting and you’d don’t often see the fruits till they are Jr/Sr. Maybe you can fill a skill position with a Soph.

You stated he could get grad transfers. That’s true. But what’s better for the long haul? Letting Moore and some of the Freshman gain valuable experience Or winning 6 games now l. I believe that it’s not worth taking field time way from Brohms first recruiting class who are going to be vital in turning this his around. We’re building a program not a team.

That’s why it was moronic.

OT-Ethan Smart was a highly regarded Juco transfer from MS and appears to be a bust. DL Washington was a "no show" this fall. Lack of depth on O-Line is a major reason for 0-2 start-That's ALL on Coach Williams.....both were Brohm recruits

Expecting redshirt freshman OL to contribute is a failure only by you. The earliest an OL should play is during third year in the program. Washington May or may not be a contributor, however expecting it now is not a failure of the OL coach.

Smart was a quick plug as the OL needed bodies in camp. When he showed up on campus he was not nearly strong enough as a juco. He was a miss in recruiting and Williams wasn’t part of his recruitment.

OT-Ethan Smart was a highly regarded Juco transfer from MS and appears to be a bust. DL Washington was a "no show" this fall. Lack of depth on O-Line is a major reason for 0-2 start-That's ALL on Coach Williams.....both were Brohm recruits

What Brohm and his staff did to turn this O-Line around last season was remarkable. Any suggestion that they failed is nonsensical. You will always have some players not show up or disqualify academically and you will always have high rated players bust for some reason. Brohm's first class at OLine was excellent (Stickford, Beach, Washington), it will take a few years for them to develop into solid starters. 2018 he had McKenna, Bramel, and Miller. He also has 3 big boys that have high potential in the 2019 class and may not be done. He also was able to get Edwards to come over and provide some immediate playing time. If he is able to get 3 solid contributors from each class, how can you question his depth? I believe the consistency is encouraging.

The only area I see on this team where we have not "upgraded" since DH was fired is on O-line- The 2 guys in 2019 class are midlevel 2*'s are best.

The Oline has struggled this year, but last years team saw a HUGE upgrade in OLine from Hazel. Maybe they were the same guys but they played much, much better. We have 3 OL in next years class. Two of them are 2 stars on Rivals but the highest rating of the 2 star (5.4) and one appears to be an early steal from Illinois. All 3 are 6-5 and higher and are projects but were recruited based on staff observations at their camps and how they will fit into our system which is larger more athletic OL. None will step in right away but have the potential to develop into solid contributors. We were very close to getting a couple major recruits there as well and I think we are in the running for a few more. Kaleb Boateng is visiting on 9/21 and is a 3 star with Maryland and Pitt as the other favorites. We have I think 15 scholarship OL on our team now and we retain an average of 3 per season we should consistently have 15, which provides a pretty solid 2-deep.

Reactions: FLAG HUNTER
The Oline has struggled this year, but last years team saw a HUGE upgrade in OLine from Hazel. Maybe they were the same guys but they played much, much better. We have 3 OL in next years class. Two of them are 2 stars on Rivals but the highest rating of the 2 star (5.4) and one appears to be an early steal from Illinois. All 3 are 6-5 and higher and are projects but were recruited based on staff observations at their camps and how they will fit into our system which is larger more athletic OL. None will step in right away but have the potential to develop into solid contributors. We were very close to getting a couple major recruits there as well and I think we are in the running for a few more. Kaleb Boateng is visiting on 9/21 and is a 3 star with Maryland and Pitt as the other favorites. We have I think 15 scholarship OL on our team now and we retain an average of 3 per season we should consistently have 15, which provides a pretty solid 2-deep.
The hardest position to prepare for coming from high school to college is offensive line. This isn't only from a size and skill standpoint but also from a terminology and technique aspects as well. Very rarely do you see a freshman be able to come in and truly be effective on the offensive line and many times when they do they are able to use supreme athletic skill to make up for the lack in other areas. Brohm's offense can be very difficult to pick up and you can clearly see he defaults to experience when it is relatively close to hopefully see that wisdom beats youth. However, I believe starting this weekend you are seeing a shift to youth on the defensive side of the ball and if the offense struggles again, you'll see some younger guys getting more game experience as well on the offensive side of the ball.

I'm not advocating coach Williams not be retained. I actually like the guy. My comments are intended to be provocative, much like Woligib. I love PU and yearn for success. But less bragging on twitter about your private jet and elite recruiting trips and better results would be appreciated, coach.
I'm not advocating coach Williams not be retained. I actually like the guy. My comments are intended to be provocative, much like Woligib. I love PU and yearn for success. But less bragging on twitter about your private jet and elite recruiting trips and better results would be appreciated, coach.
Would you rather he be bland and not excited on Twitter? If you knew a coach was coming to your school or game and they posted that they are excited and taking a private jet to your game for everyone to clearly see...wouldn't that make a huge impact on your decision?

Would you rather he be bland and not excited on Twitter? If you knew a coach was coming to your school or game and they posted that they are excited and taking a private jet to your game for everyone to clearly see...wouldn't that make a huge impact on your decision?
He needs to start sealing the deal. Purdue is one of few schools left in P5 with natural grass surface. IMO--Elite OL would typically want to play 4 years on grass vs turf due to less impact on knees, chronic lower body injuries, less chance of major injury, less emphasis on drive blocking and speed and better for pass block technique, needed in NFL. Which we highlight in this offense.Why we don't get elite OL recruits vs Wisky is a head scratcher?

Its understood that Williams responsibilities as a position coach are not restricted to "coaching up a prospect" once he arrives on campus. Williams is heavily relied upon by this staff to evaluate, recruit, lead, teach and stayed engaged w/prospects. If one reads his twitter account, its obvious Williams is one of Brohms lead recruiters. He posts more pics of the private university jet showing all his recruiting trips than anyone else on staff. I suppose I should be impressed-but I'm not. If Washington lied or mislead him, then that's on Washington but to say that it didn't hurt overall depth on Oline is incorrect. Same with missed eval on Smart-who Williams DID visit and recruit-The only area I see on this team where we have not "upgraded" since DH was fired is on O-line- The 2 guys in 2019 class are midlevel 2*'s are best.

There were 4 3*’s in the 2018 class It’s not often a Freshman OL sees much time in the field. Pretty sure you knew that and want to hold a coaching staff forced with low level OL talent to an impossible standard. Silly but noted.

Reactions: JohnnyDoeBoiler
He needs to start sealing the deal. Purdue is one of few schools left in P5 with natural grass surface. IMO--Elite OL would typically want to play 4 years on grass vs turf due to less impact on knees, chronic lower body injuries, less chance of major injury, less emphasis on drive blocking and speed and better for pass block technique, needed in NFL. Which we highlight in this offense.Why we don't get elite OL recruits vs Wisky is a head scratcher?
Are you honestly trying to compare our OL recruiting with Wisconsin's? There are maaaaaaaybe 2 programs that could compete with the history of OL at Wisconsin.

No ...but I'm not impressed with material things and
overt, superficial ,insincere recruiting tricks- I wasn't at 17 and would hope elite recruits can be persuaded to commit based on quality coaching, academics, chance to play early and honest recruiting promises.

No ...but I'm not impressed with material things and
overt, superficial ,insincere recruiting tricks- I wasn't at 17 and would hope elite recruits can be persuaded to commit based on quality coaching, academics, chance to play early and honest recruiting promises.

I think you'd be surprised at how effective 'material things and recruiting tricks' are for young men. Although Larry Tracy committed to IU, the graphics for that and the idea were a huge hit with recruits around the country. GK has said multiple times how much he thinks the graphics from Purdue were a big selling point and the videos that recruits can see on an almost daily basis from practices, games, other events are a huge selling point. To think young men (and women) are going to fit in your box you have built is ridiculous.

Also, to think the coaches who have years of experience in this stuff don't use different angles to recruit based on a kid's background, character, and personality is kind of silly. If a kid comes from a military family with discipline, you aren't going to sell the 'campus lifestyle' to him and his family.

Last edited:

This is just dumb and ill-informed. I believe 2018's 3 OL recruits were all higher than any that Hazel ever recruited. The 9 you can attribute to Brohm in 2017-2019 are better than maybe all but 3 of Hazel's recruits (McCann, Barron, and a failed Patterson). I think we still get 1-2 solid recruits (Jornigan and Boateng) and this year we were in the discussion as potential landing spots for elite OL including Britt. There was a HUGE improvement in recruiting OL. Purdue will always recruit better at key positions (QB and WR) under Brohm given his past success and would expect the same for OL from programs like Wisconsin, Notre Dame, and Iowa. We should not expect to compete for recruiting OL with those programs as they have excelled at developing that position. That is not a knock on the coaching. Just like you go to Purdue for engineering and not Indiana even though you might like the professors better and think they have a better job of developing you.

I think you'd be surprised at how effective 'material things and recruiting tricks' are for young men. Although Larry Tracy committed to IU, the graphics for that and the idea were a huge hit with recruits around the country. GK has said multiple times how much he thinks the graphics from Purdue were a big selling point and the videos that recruits can see on an almost daily basis from practices, games, other events are a huge selling point. To think young men (and women) are going to fit in your box you have built is ridiculous.

Also, to think the coaches who have years of experience in this stuff don't use different angles to recruit based on a kid's background, character, and personality is kind of silly. If a kid comes from a military family with discipline, you aren't going to sell the 'campus lifestyle' to him and his family.
GK did not require false promises nor fake twitter "ball rubbing" to commit and Yanni will never be impressed with coaches who post pics of their jets

The EMU game has nothing to do with time.. I’ve seen purdue teams with plenty of two stars that would have laughed at EMU.. I almost cringe at the thought of what EMU would have done if they had a player like Rondale Moore

No need for insults. I've just gone thru your comments history and note several " uninformed and dumb" posts and will repost if you like. I WANT the same thing you do. There has not yet been an upgrade on OL since Hope/Haz. Roos, King,Hedelin are all on NFL rosters or practice squads- so far current OL team is "unimpressive"- I hope they can get "coached up". And YES , we need to aspire to get the same OL recruits WI targets
You lack sufficient knowledge of building a program.

Nobody gives a damn what you expect. That’s not how it’s done or how it works.
It seems there are some fans who figured out CMP knows what he is doing and can’t really figure out a good enough argument anymore and have switched their target to Brohm using the same horrible arguments and claims of knowing what to do. Hopefully Brohm has enough sustained success that they just switch to being IU fans because they are quite cranky and offer little to nothing in the way of positive and constructive discourse.

I've just gone thru your comments history and note several " uninformed and dumb" posts and will repost if you like.

Wow, you have an incredible amount of time if you really did that... I am sure in my 11 years posting here I had some dumb posts. It is very easy to pick them out when you have hindsight. But no thanks, I believe I speak for the collective group please do not repost past posts that have no relevance to this thread. I usually do not call folks out unless they let the facts (e.g. much higher recruiting rankings for OL) get in the way.

Its understood that Williams responsibilities as a position coach are not restricted to "coaching up a prospect" once he arrives on campus. Williams is heavily relied upon by this staff to evaluate, recruit, lead, teach and stayed engaged w/prospects. If one reads his twitter account, its obvious Williams is one of Brohms lead recruiters. He posts more pics of the private university jet showing all his recruiting trips than anyone else on staff. I suppose I should be impressed-but I'm not. If Washington lied or mislead him, then that's on Washington but to say that it didn't hurt overall depth on Oline is incorrect. Same with missed eval on Smart-who Williams DID visit and recruit-The only area I see on this team where we have not "upgraded" since DH was fired is on O-line- The 2 guys in 2019 class are midlevel 2*'s are best.

Are you referring to Charles Allen or DJ Washington?

How did Dale Williams visit and recruit Smart who signed in December while williams was still coaching at WKU? The only coaches at that time we’re brohm and shepherd, along with Parker as a hold over.

Reactions: PrintersRowBoiler
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT