ADVERTISEMENT

Couple of takeaways from 3/7 CKG show

Point of order, I don't think I have directly called anyone names, and if so I apologize. I have said some opinions stated have been ridiculous and the like, but I have tried keeping my posts about the opinion stated, not the poster. The personal attacks by those loyal to the coach that considered ANY criticism of the coach to be heresy and leveled scathing waves of personal attacks on the poster is what killed MsHoops.... after the knowledgeable posters left, the loyalists turned on each other and the board is pretty much down to half a dozen active posters, most with little interest in a deep conversation about the program.
16 wins with this roster after taking over 60 days before the season started. So players she didn't pick for her system. Took a group that didn't really have much success under CSV and got them to compete. They tripped in February but it's the same group thats done that for a few years.

Agree that she it's too early to put her in the group of Peck, Curry or Dunn, but I think you're a little off base with saying CKG was responsible for losing games.

A point to think of: CKG is building for the future. Why use players who won't be here in the future? Hate to burst the bubble on Doumbia, but she did senior walk when harden did not.

This should be a place of good conversation with a little armchair coaching. If you want to act like you're the best person with an opinion on wbb (more than people who comment a lot Dave, Doc, Illini) then why don't you list your coaching experience.

If not and you want to keep being negative about the team and CKG. I go back to my first statement: Who peed in your cornflakes?

Reactions: DocRon
I think you're right about this guy being on the other board. He's ruined that board in MO. Nobody's opinion is right except his.
Eh. They don't seem to be the brightest person around. I'd give their opinion the weight it deserves. Very little.

16 wins with this roster after taking over 60 days before the season started. So players she didn't pick for her system. Took a group that didn't really have much success under CSV and got them to compete. They tripped in February but it's the same group thats done that for a few years.

Agree that she it's too early to put her in the group of Peck, Curry or Dunn, but I think you're a little off base with saying CKG was responsible for losing games.

A point to think of: CKG is building for the future. Why use players who won't be here in the future? Hate to burst the bubble on Doumbia, but she did senior walk when harden did not.

This should be a place of good conversation with a little armchair coaching. If you want to act like you're the best person with an opinion on wbb (more than people who comment a lot Dave, Doc, Illini) then why don't you list your coaching experience.

If not and you want to keep being negative about the team and CKG. I go back to my first statement: Who peed in your cornflakes?
You may have missed it but I have listed positives about coach Gearlds. But to say she is above criticism is to go down the path of fanboy of the coach and not fan of the team.

Good things I have listed one place or another:
more wins than expected this season through January
Team chemistry much improved
offensive execution much smoother
post game comments give praise to the players and takes the blame as a program, VERY big improvement and personally something that goes a long way to make me hope she makes it
pretty good first recruiting class, especially considering her dearth of experience in D1 and starting so late.

And I will add one more, she did this with a staff lacking two key positions, DBO and video coordinator and with 2 assistants she inherited and the third with no coaching experience. Which calls into question if she will shake up the assistants as she fills the two voids or roll with who she got stuck with.

Criticisms:
late season fade reminiscent of SV's teams
not using timeouts to stop opposing teams runs resulting in lost games
playing an obviously hobbled Layden instead of Doumbia who can equally obviously play

When your own announcer is commenting on the player still limping, there is a massive problem there. And how does risking your best players health "build for the future" I have a theory on that, but I want to see more of KG and hope she proves me wrong, but if Hardin comes back and starts next year again, its because of a problem CKG shares with SV.

Last edited:
Eh. They don't seem to be the brightest person around. I'd give their opinion the weight it deserves. Very little.
Doc I have read this board for many years without posting, and I have yet to see you take TC4Three to task for the hundreds of times he has directly insulted posters, shouted down any who disagree with himle rarely actually rebutting the post but always attacking the poster. If you want to clean up the dialogue of this board, I am not your problem, (at least not the biggest ;) but I think you lack the moxie to go after the person who really is the issue here.

Last edited:
Pretty sure this is the same person that single handedly ruined the oldgoldfreepress women's basketball board. Everything he posts will be negative. He will bit*h, moan and whine about everything. He will also continually let you know that he is smarter than the coach and you. Lol.
Good memory, You nailed it about oldgoldfreepress, damn, I posted on that board years ago lol.

Doc I have read this board for many years without posting, and I have yet to take TC4Three to task for the hundreds of times he has directly insulted posters, shouted down any who disagree with him rarely actually rebutting the post butalways attacking the poster. If you want to clean up the dialogue of this board, I am not your problem, (at least not the biggest ;) but I think you lack the moxie to go after the person who really is the issue here.
I don't give the slightest @#$& about being civil with you.

I know message boards are renowned for people to say things that are utter nonsense, but this one really is incredible in its uneducated opinion. Five Purdue women's players have their jerseys hanging from Mackey for making first team All American, one made it twice..... none of them are Katie Gearlds. In fact to hang her jersey they changed the rules to allow a third team AA member to be so honored...... lots of rules got bent for Gearlds her whole career at Purdue. Her first three years Curry let her play half assed defense. I cannot count the number of times you would see KG jogging around a screen 15 feet form who she was supposed to be guarding while the player she was supposed to be guarding sunk an open shot. Her freshman year she was the primary reason we lost in the elite eight to Georgia. Down 8 with 4 minutes to go, Andy Landers made their whole offense to clear out for whoever KG was guarding and then let that player drive past her for an easy layup/pullup jumper. Even KG has admitted she loafed on D under Curry and the only reason she had as pitiful a pro career as she had was SV making her play both ends as a senior; raising her stock in the eyes of WNBA scouts. Katie was the best player Purdue women's basketball has ever seen, Katie DOUGLAS. TWO TIME first team All American, more WNBA all star games than KG had WNBA starts, two final game appearances, over a decade WNBA career as a starter versus KG 2-3 seasons at the end of the bench. You really either never really watched KG and KD at Purdue, or you only watch the offensive end(and thus really don't know much about basketball) if you think she was even in the top 5 of best all time to ever play at Purdue.
I know what I saw dude...I've followed PU WBB for 35 years...she was a Gatorade All-American, McDonald's All American Game MVP and she was a star player at Purdue... and imho the most talented player to ever play at Purdue. Thats my opinion...you can agree or disagree I could care less.

I really don’t understand this post.
Most good coaches weren‘t great players. Painter, Knight to name a few.
Katie seems to love Purdue and did a pretty good job her first year.
I am not disagreeing at all that the players you mentioned were better that Katie.
I could add a half dozen more.
But who cares. She is no longer playing, she is coaching!
They weren't better talents than Katie

I know what I saw dude...I've followed PU WBB for 35 years...she was a Gatorade All-American, McDonald's All American Game MVP and she was a star player at Purdue... and imho the most talented player to ever play at Purdue. Thats my opinion...you can agree or disagree I could care less.
What you saw was someone that was a great offensive talent, but she wasn't close to the best ever at Purdue. In addition to her not having the credentials to challenge the true greats as recognized as a Kodak AA, here are other awards for excellence that many Purdue WBB players have earned that she failed to garner: 5 players at Purdue received writers association AA honors while at Purdue, none of them were name Katie Gearlds, but once again Katie Douglas is mentioned. 9 women's basketball players are in the Purdue athletics hall of fame, and the only Katie is once again Katie Douglas. Six winners of the Chicago silver basketball award from Purdue for most outstanding WBB player in the area in college, no Gearlds, but there is Douglas again. Six Purdue players have been named most outstanding WBB player in the BT, Douglas twice, Gearlds none. Four Purdue wbb players have been named most outstanding female athlete in the BT. Douglas made the cut, Gearlds did not. White, Holmes, and Joseph also show up on most of these lists that Gearlds was not good enough to make. If you want to say she was the best you ever saw, okay, I will assume you missed Rayburn's era as there was a great talent playing with little to no support unlike Gearlds. But best ever at Purdue? It flies in the face of ALL facts and rational arguments.

What you saw was someone that was a great offensive talent, but she wasn't close to the best ever at Purdue. In addition to her not having the credentials to challenge the true greats as recognized as a Kodak AA, here are other awards for excellence that many Purdue WBB players have earned that she failed to garner: 5 players at Purdue received writers association AA honors while at Purdue, none of them were name Katie Gearlds, but once again Katie Douglas is mentioned. 9 women's basketball players are in the Purdue athletics hall of fame, and the only Katie is once again Katie Douglas. Six winners of the Chicago silver basketball award from Purdue for most outstanding WBB player in the area in college, no Gearlds, but there is Douglas again. Six Purdue players have been named most outstanding WBB player in the BT, Douglas twice, Gearlds none. Four Purdue wbb players have been named most outstanding female athlete in the BT. Douglas made the cut, Gearlds did not. White, Holmes, and Joseph also show up on most of these lists that Gearlds was not good enough to make. If you want to say she was the best you ever saw, okay, I will assume you missed Rayburn's era as there was a great talent playing with little to no support unlike Gearlds. But best ever at Purdue? It flies in the face of ALL facts and rational arguments.
Katie Gearlds is the singularly most talented player to ever play at Purdue. This is just strictly talent not whether she was on a team that won a NC or not although she came damn close. And that's my opinion.

Who peed in this guy's cornflakes?
Michael and I both took a hiatus when the SV handwriting on the wall was unmistakable. He only knows one way to respond and that is to go straight for the jungular. Most reasonable people know that the jungular is a kill shot. Oh my, such tales could be told of our past skirmishes. We do not care for each other, but one fact is undeniable. Our presence here is a sign there is a pulse in the WBB program. Three years ago my choice for our next coach is the gal guiding Monday night’s opponent. If Niele Ivey finds the task of followers following Muffet too great, look for Duffy to return to South Bend. I really hope Ivey succeeds, but Duffy will ascend to more lofty challenges. We lost another two years of abysmal basketball before a decision was made and then it would never have happened save for the inescapable news of abuse at the top of the program. The parade of assistant coaches over the years should have awaken leadership a long time ago, but wbb was not near the top of the list of priorities that had afflicted much of the athletic program.

Last edited:
Michael and I both took a hiatus when the SV handwriting on the wall was unmistakable. He only knows one way to respond and that is to go straight for the jungular. Most reasonable people know that the jungular is a kill shot. Oh my, such tales could be told of our past skirmishes. We do not care for each other, but one fact is undeniable. Our presence here is a sign there is a pulse in the WBB program. Three years ago my choice for our next coach is the gal guiding Monday night’s opponent. If Niele Ivey finds the task of followers following Muffet too great, look for Duffy to return to South Bend. I really hope Ivey succeeds, but Duffy will ascend to more lofty challenges. We lost another two years of abysmal basketball before a decision was made and then it would never have happened save for the inescapable news of abuse at the top of the program. The parade of assistant coaches over the years should have awaken leadership a long time ago, but wbb was not near the top of the list of priorities that had afflicted much of the athletic program.
Your presence here? Lol. Barely saw you here at all this season. Just like I said for years, those that were being the most consistently vocal about the coaching situation do not really participate here anyway so why should anyone care what they think. And when that wish was granted, we saw that to be true.

Maybe you and Michael can exchange phone numbers and tell one another how important both of you think you are. Funny that you wouldn't like one another but I guess I understand since he seems as narcissistic as you.

I think its time to bury the hatchets and focus on the positives and concerns for the program moving forward. There are two few of us to fight each other. Positive energy may have an effect. We can't do much now about the glory days or the Dark Ages, but we can go forward and root for our team. If things go haywire, anyone can stop commenting when they want. Kicking a dead horse is not much fun for anyone.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT