ADVERTISEMENT

Corporate NIL Money ??

Wolegib

All-American
May 23, 2013
Somebody suggested that Purdue needs to get public corporations more involved in donating to our NIL funding. To me this begs the question, Are any corporations actually giving any money to NIL funding? or is it just coming from rich, private inesters and businessmen using it for an extension of their advertising budget? for each burger sold, is McDonalds going to donate $1 to a NIL fund? Doubtful!

If McDonalds, Disney, WalMart, MicroSoft, Budweiser, Lily CitiCorp, USAA, United, Delta, Nike, Caterpiller, were to actually give money, what school's athletes would they actually support? O$U ?? I have to believe a mega corporation would have many choices. and Purdue as a University can't ask a corporation to donate to a NIL fund as part of doing business with Purdue. As a stockholder, I wouldn't support the companies i hold stock in to give any money to NIL funding. I highly doubt any public corporation is going to just give money away or include it as part of their budget without their stockholders' consent. and i highly doubt any public corporation is going to be able to designate their funding to one specific school's athletes.

I watched in the 90's and early decades where in order to remain alive, corporations slashed their goodwill budgets. I watched both Miller and Budweiser stop giving after their companies were bought out by foreign invesment companies. Budweiser and TWA used to be two of the biggest supporters in St Louis to charities, the United fund, USO, and Boy Scouts. TWA wet banckrupt. And Budweiser, after they were bought out, stopped giving.

I could see jerry Jones giving, but i can't see the NFL as a corporation giving a dime.

I see fans here crying we need to step up and find that money. But i don't see any fans here saying I gave. You all want Purdue to find big donors, just not you. The reality is Purdue has been looking hard and reaching out, but the big donors have a mind of their own. Look at the people who gave to Sasha. they did so voluntarily. They saw a need and donated to it. They didn't donate to a collective. I can believe private business people trying to make a name for themselves would donate a lot of money to get some publicity. I could see Donald trump or marc Cuban donating money. But not to Purdue athletes.

I believe now is the time to stop dreaming and complaining, and wishing Purdue could be like those texas schools, and start doing some research and wake up to the reality of who/what entity is actually giving any money to the NIL. and who/what if anybody would be giving money to Purdue athletes. Sure, athletes like Sasha will receive some money. But that money is not going to be in the $5-10 mil range. and that money is not going to come from corporations.

something that is often forgotten, Purdue alumni and Boosters, for the most part have morals and ethics. they don't pay to win. The Purdue NIL collective recently created a position to set up the alliance and collect money. . I wonder if that person is considered as a purdue employee with all the state benefits? or is that person employed by the collective? Sort of like brian. Does he work for Purdue? or does he just run a purdue related web site?

one last reminder. Purdue doesn't give any of its money to any NIL collective . it's boosters and alumni do.

maybe get some anthem / mrs. boudreaux $

i think the anthem logo showed up in mackey about the time he joined the team back then.

Reactions: FleeTheScene
There's probably a bunch of big time donors hanging out on GBI free board. C'mon guys! Step up and give that 9.95/mo you are saving to a 5 star recruit.
Bonefish has got to be be a big-time contributor, based on the years of shamelessly bragging posts we have seen here.

Yes. NIL is wide open. Corporate, private… doesn’t matter.
You didn’t understand my point! Yes, corporations can legally give, but they are not going to give unless their board of directors and stockholders approve of their giving. And if they do give, what corporate do you know of is going to give to Purdue?

There's probably a bunch of big time donors hanging out on GBI free board. C'mon guys! Step up and give that 9.95/mo you are saving to a 5 star recruit.
At $10 a month? And 100 posters not paying their knucklehead dues, we could raise over $1,000 a month and over $12,000 a year! That might be enough to attract one 3 star! Who’s with me?

It should be easier as a HC with the acclaim of Painter to develop and execute a game plan where you had virtually EVERY advantage as well.

You didn’t understand my point! Yes, corporations can legally give, but they are not going to give unless their board of directors and stockholders approve of their giving. And if they do give, what corporate do you know of is going to give to Purdue?

That's not quite true friend.

I've cut checks for donations totaling hundreds of thousands, maybe close to a million in my career. Some while working for Fortune 500 businesses, some for privately held businesses that were smaller.

Usually, if it's within "budget", which I wrote and was responsible for, it wouldn't require any special approval. And certainly doesn't get elevated for approval to a CFO/CEO, BOD, or gawd forbid a stockholder for vote.

Review of such things is not as granular as you believe.

I can imagine me not caring about college sports at all in a few years if this is the way you have to go to win. In all honesty, even now, what I watch is just for entertainment (as opposed to wanting to win, I guess). The only sport I feel a strong desire to win at is men's basketball, because it was always my favorite sport, we're in Indiana, and our lack of tournament success tends to overshadow what is, otherwise, a top 20 all-time program (so... because of pride :D).

Reactions: Indy_Rider
ADVERTISEMENT