ADVERTISEMENT

Controversy a brewing?

rsomm

Sophomore
Jun 26, 2002
How did the no. 17 team get the 13th seed in the pre-tournament seeding? How did they pass NO. 10 Marquette and NO. 12 Gonzaga? Listening to the BigTen Today, Mike DeCourcy said they did not use any computer metrics, but did mention that by putting NO. 17 IU as the 13 seed they would put them in Louisville to give them a home court advantage! Who is running the NCAA Tournament seeding: CHRIS REYNOLDS!

A lot of basketball to be played...both regular season and conference tournaments. Rankings will no doubt change between now and selection Sunday.

Reactions: indyogb
How did the no. 17 team get the 13th seed in the pre-tournament seeding? How did they pass NO. 10 Marquette and NO. 12 Gonzaga? Listening to the BigTen Today, Mike DeCourcy said they did not use any computer metrics, but did mention that by putting NO. 17 IU as the 13 seed they would put them in Louisville to give them a home court advantage! Who is running the NCAA Tournament seeding: CHRIS REYNOLDS!
Well basically on the surface, Indiana has the better resume compared to Marquette and Gonzaga. But barely. Marquettes loss to Wisconsin (Q3) hurts them and Gonzagas loss to Loyola Marymount(Q3) hurts them. Marquette is 5-5 against Q1, 4-0 against Q2. Gonzaga is 3-4 against Q1 and 6-0 against Q2. Indiana is 6-7 against Q1 and 3-1 against Q2 and no losses outside of that. That'd be my best guess why.

• Haha
Reactions: purduepat1969
Well basically on the surface, Indiana has the better resume compared to Marquette and Gonzaga. But barely. Marquettes loss to Wisconsin (Q3) hurts them and Gonzagas loss to Loyola Marymount(Q3) hurts them. Marquette is 5-5 against Q1, 4-0 against Q2. Gonzaga is 3-4 against Q1 and 6-0 against Q2. Indiana is 6-7 against Q1 and 3-1 against Q2 and no losses outside of that. That'd be my best guess why.
SOR for Gonzaga is 10, Marquette is 11, IU is 17. Miami has a SOR of 12 and are 6-4 Q1 3-0 Q2. All of these teams have winning records on the road except IU!

Northwestern has a better resume than IU, and beat them home and away.

SOR for Gonzaga is 10, Marquette is 11, IU is 17. Miami has a SOR of 12 and are 6-4 Q1 3-0 Q2. All of these teams have winning records on the road except IU!
I think the Q3 loss Miami was the difference as well. I'm not positive. That's just the biggest difference between all of the resumes.

Because poll rankings don't mean anything when it comes to seeding in the tournament. Especially when it comes to teams that don't play good schedules and just rack up win, a la Gonzaga, St. Mary's, and to a good extent Houston. Charleston and Florida Atlantic have been ranked this season. There's no way they're anywhere near a 5 seed.

Reactions: PUQBMan.
I think the Q3 loss Miami was the difference as well. I'm not positive. That's just the biggest difference between all of the resumes.
The Big East has 6 teams in the top 25, Big Ten has 3 But the team leading the Big East can't make it past the 3rd team in the Big Ten!

Also, if Purdue doesn't go to the Louisville regional, someone from the B1G will, if not 2 or even 3 teams. It's a mathematical certainty. If the best team in the conference can't (because of being behind Alabama), then the 2nd best should logically.

Reactions: Schnelk
Because poll rankings don't mean anything when it comes to seeding in the tournament. Especially when it comes to teams that don't play good schedules and just rack up win, a la Gonzaga, St. Mary's, and to a good extent Houston. Charleston and Florida Atlantic have been ranked this season. There's no way they're anywhere near a 5 seed.
Gonzaga had the SOC rated at 6! IU had a SOC of 103!!

• Wow
Road record isn't as big a thing as it used to be.

There are razor-thin differences between some of these teams. And the difference between a 4 and a 5 is not much. I actually think from the eye-test, Creighton and Miami are better than IU, Marquette or Gonzaga. But they're all close in that tier of teams. UConn and Xavier are right there too.

Reactions: Neildouglass
Road record isn't as big a thing as it used to be.

There are razor-thin differences between some of these teams. And the difference between a 4 and a 5 is not much. I actually think from the eye-test, Creighton and Miami are better than IU, Marquette or Gonzaga. But they're all close in that tier of teams. UConn and Xavier are right there too.
IMO Creighton is really good and a well balanced team. I watch them alot, got a nice Center, versatile 4, really good 3, very good guards. Their record would be better but earlier in the season they had a losing streak where Kalkbrenner didn't play due to injury

What is SOC? SOS? What you quoted was each team's NC SOS, which, yes, is important, but the overall SOS #s are what matters more.

Why are we worried about whether Indinia is going to be a 4 or a 5?
some here have a bit of an obsession w/ them I guess.

Reactions: Chi-Boiler
What is SOC? SOS? What you quoted was each team's NC SOS, which, yes, is important, but the overall SOS #s are what matters more.

Why are we worried about whether Indinia is going to be a 4 or a 5?
Strength of out of Conference.

A great theory—thanks!

If true — This

Is

AWESOME!!

Chris Reynolds is an extraordinary success story and a very proud Hoosier. Always was a next-level defender, now defending IU from a three time-zone road trip?

Do those Hoosiers right, Chris!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
The Big East has 6 teams in the top 25, Big Ten has 3 But the team leading the Big East can't make it past the 3rd team in the Big Ten!
Because the AP Top 25 doesn't dictate the resume. It is there for entertainment and perception among fans.

Reactions: Chi-Boiler
The pairings have them the third number one seed. They’ll be heavily favored in their last three regular season games. If they win out, Purdue could easily regain the overall number one. Kansas will probably lose a couple more games before the tourney.

The pairings have them the third number one seed. They’ll be heavily favored in their last three regular season games. If they win out, Purdue could easily regain the overall number one. Kansas will probably lose a couple more games before the tourney.
Kansas remaining schedule - home against WV and TTech, don’t see them losing either of those. Finish season on the road at UT, which is probably a loss.

Alabama - Arkansas and Auburn at home and South Carolina and Texas A&M on the road. Figure they go 3-1

UCLA - Utah and Colorado on the road and Arizona and ASU home games. 3-1.

Not putting Houston in here because they play in a weak conference and doubt they lose again.

It might take a loss by Kansas and Alabama and for Purdue to win right up to the B1G Championship Game.
I wonder how much a road loss to Texas will hurt Kansas since Texas is a top 10 team as well. This is why catching Kansas becomes difficult because the Big 12 has 6 teams ranked in the Top 25 and 3 in the Top 10.

Reactions: Schnelk and DrEss
A great theory—thanks!

If true — This

Is

AWESOME!!

Chris Reynolds is an extraordinary success story and a very proud Hoosier. Always was a next-level defender, now defending IU from a three time-zone road trip?

Do those Hoosiers right, Chris!!!!!!!!!!!
Feeling Entitled much?

I wonder how much a road loss to Texas will hurt Kansas since Texas is a top 10 team as well. This is why catching Kansas becomes difficult because the Big 12 has 6 teams ranked in the Top 25 and 3 in the Top 10.
Losing at Texas won't move the needle at all for them but it will absolutely help Texas. And Texas a shot themselves at being a 1 seed along with Kansas. It is without a doubt a big stretch, but if Texas wins out, they are absolutely a 1 seed. Their last 4 games are Iowa State, at Baylor, at TCU and Kansas.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Losing at Texas won't move the needle at all for them but it will absolutely help Texas. And Texas a shot themselves at being a 1 seed along with Kansas. It is without a doubt a big stretch, but if Texas wins out, they are absolutely a 1 seed. Their last 4 games are Iowa State, at Baylor, at TCU and Kansas.
That is a murders row of tough games. Makes me wonder if this leads the UT assistant being named the head coach at the end of the season?

And there seems to be a growing possibility Purdue falls behind Kansas.
It has probably already happened after their win over Baylor. 13 Q1 wins now, and at least a couple more on the way.

The difference there is just the placement of Purdue's region on the bracket. As the #4 overall, Purdue would be "paired with" the overall #1 on the left side of the bracket. The placement in NYC wouldn't likely change as the committee would send either Houston or Kansas to Las Vegas.

All that being said, if either UCLA or Arizona wins out, they could be in line for the Vegas #1 seed.

That is a murders row of tough games. Makes me wonder if this leads the UT assistant being named the head coach at the end of the season?
I'd think so. Texas would get a 1 seed, honestly he'd probably win Coach of the Year for the BS they had to overcome. If not, someone would poach him.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT