ADVERTISEMENT

Congratulations Coach Spack

boilermaker75

All-American
Nov 4, 2007
Illinois St beat Northern Iowa 41 to 21 today. It wasn't as close as the score as Northern Iowa scored 14 in the fourth quarter. Illinois State is now 11-1.

We need to keep him on speed dial.......we may need it in about a year from now!

Good win Coach Spack!!

May? I am thinking we win 2 or 3 games in 2015, 4 if we get lucky. I don't think DH has any luck left as used up a life time amount of luck the day he got MB to commit to a 6 year $2.3 mil/yr deal on the recommendation of Jim Tressel of all people. I wonder how many millions of $$ will be lost to the university not just in tix sales but Purdue Clothing Licensing, and various things fans spend $$ on? How many students with part time jobs will lose out because hotel rooms are empty on game weekends, restaurants are empty on game weekends, etc. Its not just ticket sales that loose when your losing on the field, everyone suffers.

Irony, MB Hiring Spack at Hazell prices when he could have had him for the cost of Hope! That's a turd sammich MB won't eat.

Originally posted by Redhotfill:
Good win Coach Spack!!

Irony, MB Hiring Spack at Hazell prices when he could have had him for the cost of Hope! That's a turd sammich MB won't eat.
Hopefully, he won't be available to even get served.

Nobody loved Purdue as much as Brock. He is/was a very good guy.

Lots of us were disappointed with the program at the end of Tiller's run. Those times look pretty good given where we find ourselves now.

Anybody that dogs Coach Spack can eat shit. He gave 110% while at Purdue as a player then as a coach. If he was the coach now a hell of lot of teams would have more respect for our program.

Tiller wanted Spack to succeed him. Tiller did not want Hope. Burke thought he knew more than Tiller.

An addition note in the Sagarin ratings ILL ST 59 PU 95. Also talked w/ a Kent State grad today, He felt that KS had the best recruiting classes the 2 years prior to Hazell's hiring. However he didn't seem to maintain that recruiting success and now KS is back in the dumpster. I hope he can turn it around next year because he is a great representative for the university.

Great to see Coach Spack doing well!

I'm not going to attempt to rewrite history. I thought it was healthy for both him and Purdue that the two went their own ways after Hope was named successor to Tiller. At the time I thought that Spack was too closely connected to the declining Tiller years and that naming him head coach in the context of 2008 was not realistic.

I'm not saying everything was his fault or that Hope was any better a candidate - but I think it was good for him to go his own way at Illinois State. I'm thrilled he's having success there and wish him nothing but the best.

Originally posted by rgarlitz:
Great to see Coach Spack doing well!

I'm not going to attempt to rewrite history. I thought it was healthy for both him and Purdue that the two went their own ways after Hope was named successor to Tiller. At the time I thought that Spack was too closely connected to the declining Tiller years and that naming him head coach in the context of 2008 was not realistic.

I'm not saying everything was his fault or that Hope was any better a candidate - but I think it was good for him to go his own way at Illinois State. I'm thrilled he's having success there and wish him nothing but the best.
Yes, it's been good for Spack, but just how the H--L was it "healthy" for Purdue?!!! Was DH1 and DH2 healthy for Purdue?! This program never would have sunk to the depths we now see if Spack had replaced Tiller. Problem is, too many in our ignorant fan base would have been dissatisfied had Spack just kept the ball rolling with 7-5 (+/-) seasons. How many idiots on this board called for Tiller's head and blamed others here for being satisfied with mediocrity. Well, I for one, will take mediocrity over the dumpster fire we now have blazing away before us! The fact is, just being mediocre in football at Purdue is an accomplishment for any coach given the fan base, the lack of resources, and zero support from the administration.
This post was edited on 12/8 3:16 PM by BoilerBonz

I understand your sentiment BoilerBonz. I'm just trying to look at this from the perspective of 2008. The majority of Purdue fans on both this site and the Boilerstation (the old Journal and Courier message board) did not want Spack. 2006 and 2007 were especially brutal years for him in terms of fan support.

I'm not saying that sentiment was fair. I don't know what 2009-2014 would have been like had Spack been hired to replace Tiller. Maybe he would have been better than DH1 and DH2, maybe not. But I know there was not widespread fan enthusiasm for hiring Spack to replace Tiller in 2008.

Morgan Burke is often accused of being tone-deaf toward the fans, but I think he understood that one.

Spack turned down bigger and better programs while being the D/C at Purdue.His defense during the early 2000`s was in the top 15 only when Tiller was thinking about fishing and recruiting went to hell the last 2 or 3 years did the defense go south. Burk knows now 6 years later he steped on his d*%@.

What rgar is saying.

I'm really happy for Spack and would definitely trade him for Hazell in a heartbeat.

but at the time, Spack has as many disturbing responcibility dodging quotes as Tiller did. Further, Im glad he went his own way to get HC experience before getting the reigns at a BCS program.

Again wish him nothing but the best and hope hes the next HC.

First of all congrats to coach Spack. But as rgarlitz has said, this board was loaded with Spack smack his last two years here. Didn't his son begin college here? Seems like some low life's even gave him grief, maybe I'm thinking of Hopes kid. Anyway, Spack would probably come here, have a couple so-so years and we would roll our eyes and exclaim to the heavens, "it's Hope all over again!" "He had success where, Illinois State, who cares" We are us precious lot we Purdue faithful.

Originally posted by Pub1986:
First of all congrats to coach Spack. But as rgarlitz has said, this board was loaded with Spack smack his last two years here. Didn't his son begin college here? Seems like some low life's even gave him grief, maybe I'm thinking of Hopes kid. Anyway, Spack would probably come here, have a couple so-so years and we would roll our eyes and exclaim to the heavens, "it's Hope all over again!" "He had success where, Illinois State, who cares" We are us precious lot we Purdue faithful.
Not sure if youre mentioning this because he produced largely terrible defenses or if our fanbase shouldnt have felt this way...

Just an observation how flighty the board can be, and how hindsight and selective memory rules the day.

Originally posted by pb1941:

Anybody that dogs Coach Spack can eat shit. He gave 110% while at Purdue as a player then as a coach. If he was the coach now a hell of lot of teams would have more respect for our program.
I thought his daughter was very nice too. I would love to see him involved with the program again. He had some rough years but he also had some of the best defenses in school history. A LOT of high level NFL talent went through Purdue...not so much now.

Originally posted by Pub1986:
Just an observation how flighty the board can be, and how hindsight and selective memory rules the day.
Gotcha, and fair enough. There was also a large portion of posters here that wanted him to prove himself at another school before handing the whistle over to him.

His post 2004 comments about how he was doing the best job he had ever done as a coach really distrubed me in their smugness and how he seemed to ignore he was the one recruiting all the lesser talent they had. Did they have bad luck with Pollard, Edwards, Van Dyke, etc.? Perhaps, but being pencil thin at spots was a pretty bad move too. If he would have said 'we hit some unfortunate twists that showed us deficiencies we had as recruiters, motivators, and coaches and need to address these' I would have been fine with it.

I havent followed him/Illinois State at all, and would wonder how much of this year is about Roberson. I imagine hes head and tails the best player on the field during all of their games. If Roberson is just running around everyone then I'm not impressed, if Roberson is making guys better and being used well strategically then I think Spack is definitely worth a shot.

Just met an Illinois State work guy who had pretty glowing things to say about Spack.

While he thought Roberson was 'a big part' of their success, he attributed more of it to the team playing well and playing together. Per this guy, Spack came in and slowly improved fundamentals, and that it was really starting to show with improved recruiting in recent years. Looking forward to watching this Saturday against E Washington.

Im still really glad Spack left and developed a well functioning team instead of taking over a Purdue team really struggling the way they were at the time. I'm sure Spack was still unhappy to not be selected as the guy, but has grown as a coach.

Morgan better be getting his b*tt kissing lip gloss out. Barring a complete and immediate turn around next year, Purdue better be beating down Spacks door with a legit salary and stadium/facility renovation under way.

Sorry, but i have to disagree 17. Burke's not even qualified to make the call on firing hazell, let alone be allowed to hire the next coach, in my opinion.

People crapped on Spack because he Defenses went from top 15 in the NCAA to pretty bad over the course of just 2-3 years.

It seems a lot of that had to do with talent level and recruiting in the late Tiller years.

He was not ready for a Div. 1 job when he was here. He still needs to find a Div 1 job and be successful before I think he should be considered for a job here.

What exactly did Hazell prove?

He did not even have 4 years of experience at Kent before he came here so we have no idea how he can recruit based on the Kent State sample size. He had 2 years at Kent. One below average year, one good year.

Common thread in both hires - NO, ZERO, Coordinator experience at any level. Neither DH had ever developed a game plan, offensive or defensive, or called a play. Next HC needs to have had SOME experience as a coordinator because they will at least have an offensive or defensive scheme that THEY believe in.

Re: What exactly did Hazell prove?

Originally posted by RegionWarrior101:
He did not even have 4 years of experience at Kent before he came here so we have no idea how he can recruit based on the Kent State sample size. He had 2 years at Kent. One below average year, one good year.

Common thread in both hires - NO, ZERO, Coordinator experience at any level. Neither DH had ever developed a game plan, offensive or defensive, or called a play. Next HC needs to have had SOME experience as a coordinator because they will at least have an offensive or defensive scheme that THEY believe in.
The team in the current state its in is a 6-6 team if we had a competent schemer/playcaller.

Shoop is the weakness.

If we get rid of him, I think the O takes a step forward. If not, more of the same I feel. Finishing 122nd and then 108th in total offense is BAD. While we might not be dripping talent, we had talent that was better than the bottom 15%. Even our recruiting classes reflect better than that shitty performance.

Respect the dissention, and dialed back my excitement a bit.

A lot of what he said and did really disturbed me from 04 on. In an interview setting, if he acknowledged this and appeared genuinely remorseful, I would still happily give him a shot.

Nice job by Spack. Try to put together a successful team or program at that level. Finding talent from the DI levels leftovers is no small task. These guys know talent and can coach it.

Didn't hope go undefeated during conference play at eku one season? Let's see if spack can sustain his success unlike hope.

Next game sat. 4 p.m. against E.Wash. A good test for coach Spack redbird defense.Don`t know if it will be on tv.

Spack's boys up 24-17 at half. Nice looking ball club.

How you hire Hope over Spack is not clear to me. Brock is a great guy, and I am pulling for him to do well and get a bigger job.
The announcers talked about his ability to recruit in the Chicago area. Not sure we are getting much out of there anymore.

If Hazell does not work out, I hope the next AD will think about Brock. He and his wife are both loyal Boilers.

nice win for spack, on to the semi's.

(bizarre ending w/a lengthy delay for a parent of an ewu player needing the ambulance/medical attention. tough night for them)

Spack adds another win to head to the final four. Sorry to say, but our Boilers could not handle the Red Birds at this point.
I never wanted to see him leave and I want him to come back and kick some MB butt. There was no reason not to hand the job to Spack. MB probably would not have Jimbo at FSU because he had "no" HC experience. What a Farce!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT