ADVERTISEMENT

Congrats

Thanks for the generous words, MiamiWolv.

I would put money on Michigan, MSU, OSU, and Purdue all making the NCAA tournament. Nebraska is starting to look like a bubble contender, too.

As for the game, it was just crazy. The two teams combined to go 22/43 from downtown. Some of the shooting down the stretch was just mind-boggling.

Michigan looks damn good, talented, and athletic. Don't see why Beilein can't have you guys ready to compete like that Trey Burke NC runner up team in the next couple months.

Shows alot of class to come here with nothing but congratulations after a tough loss that easily could've fallen either way on a number of different factors.

You guys look legit and I think you will get on a roll hopefully after tonight but if not then after the tough road game in East Lansing.

Michigan is right in that group outside the top 25 that may never break through but is certainly good enough to get consideration. I'd be stunned if they didnt make the tournament.

I know this, I wouldn't want to be the teams that have to go to Michigan in February.

I'm not even looking forward to their visit to Mackey.

Reactions: Roeder
I'd say that UM is a solid top 30-40 team in the country right now. If their young guys (Simpson, Livers, Poole) continue to improve and play remotely close to how they played tonight, they're a Top 20 team by years end.

It was UM's most experienced players who didn't step up tonight (Robinson, Abdur-Rahkman, and then Wagner with the foul trouble), and I can't see that happening too many times.

UM I think is a legit 20-25 team, esp. at home. They will make the tourney for sure. It will take just a tad bit longer to mesh for these guys.

Crossing fingers for them to pull it off against MSU..

Reactions: Boilermakerdad
Mich should definitely be a tourney team IMO. Beilein is such a good coach. You guys run pretty offense, but I was equally impressed with your D.

In the 2nd half, it seemed whenever we tried our halfcourt set handoff to Dakota driving to his right, the Mich defender was right on top of it and killed the set. Fortunate to win tonight, so going to savor it.

Class act to come here with nothing but positive things to say. You have a tourney quality team, and to be honest I hope we don't see you in the BTT!

good win for the Boilers. I considered them a top 5 team before yesterday and they played like it. Frustrating loss as a Michigan fan with how it played out at the end, especially since moral victories don't count for squat. We will probably lose by 20+ in East Lansing this weekend and then have to find out how mentally tough the team is with a 1 day off turnaround to face Maryland.

Reactions: delarno
good win for the Boilers. I considered them a top 5 team before yesterday and they played like it. Frustrating loss as a Michigan fan with how it played out at the end, especially since moral victories don't count for squat. We will probably lose by 20+ in East Lansing this weekend and then have to find out how mentally tough the team is with a 1 day off turnaround to face Maryland.
Maryland is NOT the team they were. MSU will always be tough because of the rivalry. MSU will play hard, but could lack a bit of confidence after the OSU thumping. Michigan played as well as possible and had several unknowns hit really well behind the arc. Purdue played a good game and competed. Purdue wasn't playing as well for Purdue as Michigan was for Michigan in the type of shots being hit, and Michigan would have probably beaten MSU last night at Michigan

I have always had a lot of respect for UM Basketball fans and their coach and this thread just cements that notion further.

I think if UM plays like they did last night, they will beat M$U. Good luck until we meet again.
Michigan did a lot what I thought Crean would do a few years ago, but didn't. They had 5 behind the arc and rolled the dice. Bs best chance was to be hot behind the arc adn then drive the ball when Purdue was spread ...ALL dependent on shooting well enough from the 3 to be more efficient than Purdue from the 2 and 3. This is essentially B's game day in and day out, but boy did they have people hit huge shots. Was X known as a shooter...a shooter in clutch? Give Michigan a lot of credit for how hard they played...how effective the were shooting the ball and some credit for the long boards that they got more than 50% of the time

Maryland is NOT the team they were. MSU will always be tough because of the rivalry. MSU will play hard, but could lack a bit of confidence after the OSU thumping. Michigan played as well as possible and had several unknowns hit really well behind the arc. Purdue played a good game and competed. Purdue wasn't playing as well for Purdue as Michigan was for Michigan in the type of shots being hit, and Michigan would have probably beaten MSU last night at Michigan

Hard to say Michigan played as well as possible when Wagner, Robinson, and MAAR couldn’t hit the broad side of a barn on jump shots. Michigan is capable of playing much better than they did last night. They just couldn’t overcome the contested 3s Purdue repeatedly knocked in.

Reactions: ghost_of_d.
Hard to say Michigan played as well as possible when Wagner, Robinson, and MAAR couldn’t hit the broad side of a barn on jump shots. Michigan is capable of playing much better than they did last night. They just couldn’t overcome the contested 3s Purdue repeatedly knocked in.

Thanks for the thoughts, block; I get what you're saying. I thought it was a well-contested competitive game, but yes some of the way things transpired was unexpected from both sides. Purdue did well from deep as did Michigan, but the Boilers struggled finishing several good attempts around the basket. I was surprised that Muhammad-Ali Abdur-Rahkman did not have a better game; thought he might have been the difference if Michigan prevailed. On the bright side for Michigan, Zavier Simpson, Charles Matthews, and Isaiah Livers really stepped up. If Michigan gets that kind of production consistently from them....they will be a tough out.

Entertaining (after recovering from near cardiac arrest) but a tough one to take if on the wrong end of the score.

The Boilers weathered through some adversity in a tough road game....that will continue to pay dividends....some lulls still, but I'm generally liking what's going on defensively. Turnovers in general are better but still too many shoot-yourself-in-the-foot type.....I know Coach Painter will have them working. When they execute the game plan, very difficult team to deal with.

Loved what we're seeing from Nojel Eastern....his role will be expanding.

Thanks for the thoughts, block; I get what you're saying. I thought it was a well-contested competitive game, but yes some of the way things transpired was unexpected from both sides. Purdue did well from deep as did Michigan, but the Boilers struggled finishing several good attempts around the basket. I was surprised that Muhammad-Ali Abdur-Rahkman did not have a better game; thought he might have been the difference if Michigan prevailed. On the bright side for Michigan, Zavier Simpson, Charles Matthews, and Isaiah Livers really stepped up. If Michigan gets that kind of production consistently from them....they will be a tough out.

Entertaining (after recovering from near cardiac arrest) but a tough one to take if on the wrong end of the score.

The Boilers weathered through some adversity in a tough road game....that will continue to pay dividends....some lulls still, but I'm generally liking what's going on defensively. Turnovers in general are better but still too many shoot-yourself-in-the-foot type.....I know Coach Painter will have them working. When they execute the game plan, very difficult team to deal with.

Loved what we're seeing from Nojel Eastern....his role will be expanding.

Agreed. I think Eastern is the one guy on the bench (in our rotation) who can take our team up another notch. Where do you live in Texas?

Agreed. I think Eastern is the one guy on the bench (in our rotation) who can take our team up another notch. Where do you live in Texas?

Currently in and around the Harris County/Houston metro area. I think we might see even more local love for Carsen Edwards who hails from Atascocita High School in Humble.

I've also spent time in Austin, San Antonio, Amarillo, and the DFW metroplex area. Went to El Paso twice for the Sun Bowl games. A native of the Buckeye State.

Reactions: BoilerGal74

I have a feeling MSU is going to take out a lot of frustration on Rutgers tonight. If anything, that loss @OSU narrowed Sparty's margin for error, so I expect them to be focused for Michigan this weekend.

The upside for Michigan, is that after the MSU game, the rest of the schedule isn't too daunting. Nebraska is never an easy W at their place, and there's a return trip to Purdue in a couple weeks. Other than that, though, most of Michigan's remaining road games are against teams that are either struggling or banged up. If guys like Simpson, Livers, and Poole continue to develop, Michigan could be looking at only a couple more B1G losses.

Hats off to you and MiamiWolv. You are the kind of fans we can respect and that we try to be. That said, I think you both deserve to hear this from a Purdue fan.

You guys got screwed on that ball possession call at the end. It very likely was the final deciding factor in how a close game turned out and I was shocked when the refs overturned the initial call (ball to MI) because from the views we were looking at on the screen there was nothing that definitively showed the call was wrong. It did not look like there was anything that could prompt overturning that call.

Wrong calls are made multiple times every game as the speed of the game makes a perfectly called game almost impossible to achieve but looking at the replays we were would seem to have made that a tough one for them to screw up. I agreed with DD- there was no apparent visual evidence sufficient to reverse that call.

Not that I wasn't overjoyed at the time (and still am) because we always seem to be (from our biased perspective) on the other end of calls like that. But that was a call that literally flipped the likely outcome of a game so we know how hard it was for you guys.

Maybe from a karmic viewpoint this now sets you guys up to get the next call like this in your favor and may it be at the end of your game against MSU. Know one thing as a surety in this uncertain world- all Purdue fans everywhere will be Michigan fans for that one.

GO BLUE!

Tough loss but Purdue is a veteran team which showed why it is a legit Final 4 team.

I do feel like UM should be a tournament team again and it is getting better.
beilein is really smart and you guys outplayed us severely for the last 27 minutes. Tough loss on the home floor but you've got some pieces. I expect UM to be around in march.

Sorry but no they didn't. As someone else pointed out, from a pure physics standpoint the trajectory of the ball doesn't go that way unless it was hit by someone else. The overturn was the correct call.

I don't think physics enters into refs discussions when they are reviewing calls. It depends on what you can SEE not infer. And you could not see anything from any of the video replays that was conclusive in terms of an incorrect call being made. Basis what we were seeing I did not expect that call to be overturned. Was I the only one that was surprised by the reversal?

Are
I don't think physics enters into refs discussions when they are reviewing calls. It depends on what you can SEE not infer. And you could not see anything from any of the video replays that was conclusive in terms of an incorrect call being made. Basis what we were seeing I did not expect that call to be overturned. Was I the only one that was surprised by the reversal?
Are you certain they are not allowed to use OBVIOUS ball deflection trajectory to determine the call?

Reactions: Purdue0034 and BBG
Hats off to you and MiamiWolv. You are the kind of fans we can respect and that we try to be. That said, I think you both deserve to hear this from a Purdue fan.

You guys got screwed on that ball possession call at the end. It very likely was the final deciding factor in how a close game turned out and I was shocked when the refs overturned the initial call (ball to MI) because from the views we were looking at on the screen there was nothing that definitively showed the call was wrong. It did not look like there was anything that could prompt overturning that call.

Wrong calls are made multiple times every game as the speed of the game makes a perfectly called game almost impossible to achieve but looking at the replays we were would seem to have made that a tough one for them to screw up. I agreed with DD- there was no apparent visual evidence sufficient to reverse that call.

Not that I wasn't overjoyed at the time (and still am) because we always seem to be (from our biased perspective) on the other end of calls like that. But that was a call that literally flipped the likely outcome of a game so we know how hard it was for you guys.

Maybe from a karmic viewpoint this now sets you guys up to get the next call like this in your favor and may it be at the end of your game against MSU. Know one thing as a surety in this uncertain world- all Purdue fans everywhere will be Michigan fans for that one.

GO BLUE!
It was undeniable that the ball went off UM. Not sure what you were looking at. At first I thought that for sure it would be UM ball, but once they played the overhead shot of the play there was no doubt who knocked the ball out of bounds. Now if you are saying they got screwed because 99% of the time that call goes UM's way then I can agree with that.

Reactions: BBG and delarno
Was I the only one that was surprised by the reversal?
No. I was shocked. But then again, I was initially surprised they didn't call a foul, assuming Dakota caught his hand or arm from behind. The final call was correct - you just don't normally get the benefit of the doubt the road. As soon as they went to the review my thoughts turned to the game in Iowa City last year, where on video slow-mo it appeared Tyler Cook touched the ball last, but they did not deem it conclusive enough to overturn. I think what others are saying is correct, in that this one had a trajectory that was inconsistent with the direction Dakota was swiping, which was the key factor in the decision, not seeing exactly when the ball lost contact with skin.

As for the foul on Haas. It was obvious, An arm around his back (that the official was looking right at) and a hand on Haas's left bicep mugging the hell out of him. He would have been better off letting Haas catch the ball and go after him as hard as he could. In that case much less chance of a call.

This UM team is much better than I thought especially the development of Poole and Livers. Those kids played with a lot of confidence and are only going to get better as the season progresses.

Only question is how Matthews is deadly from 3 but can’t hit a free throw to save his life.

Now if you are saying they got screwed because 99% of the time that call goes UM's way then I can agree with that.
I shouldn't speak for him, but I think that is what it boils down to. Home cooking has been prevalent for so long, people come to expect it as the standard of fairness. It is exacerbated by inconsistent application of what constitutes "beyond a shadow of a doubt".

This UM team is much better than I thought especially the development of Poole and Livers. Those kids played with a lot of confidence and are only going to get better as the season progresses.

Only question is how Matthews is deadly from 3 but can’t hit a free throw to save his life.
UM is better than I thought they would be, but Purdue is still having problems with long scoring droughts. A couple of baskets here and there during UM's run and Purdue probably wins by 6-8 without any drama. Got to figure out how to get the ball in the hole when they are losing momentum. Nojel's four point came at a critical time in the game, thankfully.

I think what others are saying is correct, in that this one had a trajectory that was inconsistent with the direction Dakota was swiping, which was the key factor in the decision, not seeing exactly when the ball lost contact with skin.

The video quality of a gif created from a slo-mo BTN youtube highlight leaves a lot to be desired, but this is the best I know how to post. Trajectory and spin of the ball both change after Dakota's hand leaves the ball.

I think you are incorrect. The trajectory of the ball is often critical in determining who made contact with the ball last. The refs reversed the initial call for good reason. It was under 2 minutes, and that situation was the specific reason the rule was instituted.

Reactions: 1869er
The video quality of a gif created from a slo-mo BTN youtube highlight leaves a lot to be desired, but this is the best I know how to post. Trajectory and spin of the ball both change after Dakota's hand leaves the ball.

Good stuff. Really shows how great of a play that was by Dakota, to get the ball from that angle without fouling, how good of judgment/restraint the officials used on the no-call, and then how they got it 100% right after the review.

I could see this play being used somewhere down the line as a teaching example to other referees.

Reactions: tjreese
As for the foul on Haas. It was obvious, An arm around his back (that the official was looking right at) and a hand on Haas's left bicep mugging the hell out of him. He would have been better off letting Haas catch the ball and go after him as hard as he could. In that case much less chance of a call.
Had the hand been on Haas I don’t think he gets the call. Wagner actually pushed and pulled on Hass, pulling his arm down. That level of interference with the movement of an opposing player should always be called.

Reactions: BoilerGal74
ADVERTISEMENT