ADVERTISEMENT

Congrats to Morton for Being Named PA POY!!

This kid has been focused for a long time now...…..and it has paid off

ETHAN-MORTON-1569232518.jpg

Ethan Morton, a sophomore basketball sensation at Butler, has daily reminders on his bathroom mirror as to what he needs to accomplish. (Mike White/Post-Gazette)

Oh, h*ll... pick a monicker. It's probably over a dozen by now. Same M.O. for all of them: act like a dumb@ss while obsessing over Purdue.

Morton... that dude can't shoot.

:rolleyes:
...or the take that the motion offense is somehow bad for certain kinds of players, really?

Isaiah Thomas seemed to do ok in a similar motion offense?

It’s only “bad” for players who aren’t “good”.
Well from what I gathered, players that don’t shoot well have trouble scoring in the motion offense. We didn’t get closure because the thread got locked, which is probably a good thing. I was waiting to hear what kind of offense players who can’t shoot well should play in order to score more. Oh well.
:cool:

Well from what I gathered, players that don’t shoot well have trouble scoring in the motion offense. We didn’t get closure because the thread got locked, which is probably a good thing. I was waiting to hear what kind of offense players who can’t shoot well should play in order to score more. Oh well.
:cool:
For what it’s worth, I don’t think the IU offense would showcase his skills either. As you implied in your post, IU needs shooters.

Reactions: mathboy
Is this effective confirmation that this is the same guy behind all those usernames?
Who is this boileriron2, and why should we care about him? New pal, I don’t think you’ve been all that concerned, so I don’t think this guys imagined impact is all that important, do you?

Who is this boileriron2, and why should we care about him? New pal, I don’t think you’ve been all that concerned, so I don’t think this guys imagined impact is all that important, do you?
Haha no - It’s really more sad than anything else. I mean, who does that?

Here's that example of what I posted about .,.. it shows 26 replies,but I only see 15 ... hmmm ....

Here's that example of what I posted about .,.. it shows 26 replies,but I only see 15 ... hmmm ....
Log off your Rivals id. Then view this message thread without logging back in. You should be able to see all the messages in the thread and then determine which ones you're missing when logged in.

Log off your Rivals id. Then view this message thread without logging back in. You should be able to see all the messages in the thread and then determine which ones you're missing when logged in.
like I want to???? .... hell no ...

iu definitely would not be to run motion, since they were one of the worst shooting teams in the country last year. They won’t be any better at shooting this year. Leal can shoot, but will probably be redshirted due to a lack of athleticism and not ready for the Big

Reactions: Level 42
iu definitely would not be to run motion, since they were one of the worst shooting teams in the country last year. They won’t be any better at shooting this year. Leal can shoot, but will probably be redshirted due to a lack of athleticism and not ready for the Big
3pt Shooting Overall:

IU: 32.6% - 219th
PU: 33% - 199th

3pt Shooting in Conference:

IU: 32% - 7th
PU: 31.1% - 11th

If IU was “one of the worst shooting teams in the country last year”, then what was Purdue?

3pt Shooting Overall:

IU: 32.6% - 219th
PU: 33% - 199th

3pt Shooting in Conference:

IU: 32% - 7th
PU: 31.1% - 11th

If IU was “one of the worst shooting teams in the country last year”, then what was Purdue?
This is hilarious. Purdue had a down year and IU has its best season in quite a while yet, they appear to have been very similar. Except for the two losses IU had to Purdue.
The best part of the comparison is that Purdue clearly had a higher ceiling than IU and in reality was very inconsistent in their losses. IU on the other hand has fans going around to other message boards trying to brag about their horrible team.

This is hilarious. Purdue had a down year and IU has its best season in quite a while yet, they appear to have been very similar. Except for the two losses IU had to Purdue.
The best part of the comparison is that Purdue clearly had a higher ceiling than IU and in reality was very inconsistent in their losses. IU on the other hand has fans going around to other message boards trying to brag about their horrible team.
The delusion of IU fans is both hilarious and sad at the same time.

1. This was simply a response to someone saying IU was one of the worst shooting teams in the country last year. The data I provided to back up my claim show IU (and Purdue) as middle of the pack in 3pt shooting.

2. You claim “Purdue clearly had the higher ceiling”. That’s a very subjective statement. For example, IU and Purdue both had 4 Q1 wins. IU’s were against teams ranked 7th, 10th, 16th, and 42nd (A). Purdue’s were against teams ranked 7th, 23rd, 34th (A), and 56th(A). Not sure how you can say Purdue clearly had a higher ceiling based on that. You can say Purdue clearly had a lower floor as they had a Q3 loss.
3. Using facts and data to backup your claims would be in your best interest.

Congrats to Ivey and Morton for being the top players in Indiana and Pennsylvania, respectively. Newman, Gillis, Thompson, Edey, Ivey, Morton, Furst and others should bring Purdue multiple BIG10 titles.

Reactions: Schnelk
1. This was simply a response to someone saying IU was one of the worst shooting teams in the country last year. The data I provided to back up my claim show IU (and Purdue) as middle of the pack in 3pt shooting.

2. You claim “Purdue clearly had the higher ceiling”. That’s a very subjective statement. For example, IU and Purdue both had 4 Q1 wins. IU’s were against teams ranked 7th, 10th, 16th, and 42nd (A). Purdue’s were against teams ranked 7th, 23rd, 34th (A), and 56th(A). Not sure how you can say Purdue clearly had a higher ceiling based on that. You can say Purdue clearly had a lower floor as they had a Q3 loss.
I can’t give any more definitive “fact” about Purdue having a higher ceiling than the head to head match-up. Seems like that is the clearest indicator we’ve got at this point. If that is 5he case, then the rest of this post doesn’t matter, but I thought I would provide a few thoughts just for discussion.

My criticism of IU basketball falls into two categories:

(1) The players are not complimentary nor skilled enough. They didn’t shoot very well the entire season, nor did they assist very well, nor rebound well. That adds up to an early exit in the tourney. The team roster as a whole Is poorly balanced. Once past TJD, the front line is weak for a BIG team.

(2) The coaching staff struggled with making in-game adjustments, which will also get you bounced out of a single elimination tourney quickly. Now my sample size is small here, so perhaps I misread this situation. When IU and Purdue played, IU expected to go inside. TJD and Brunk were not able to handle Williams and Haarms. Once the go-inside strategy failed, the IU team looked lost, and so did Archie. No effective adjustments, and no guidance to the players on the court in that game. The guys looked lost.

Reactions: Level 42

The higher ceiling was evident as Purdue blew out some really good teams including a win @ Iowa. IU didn’t have any big road wins and I don’t think they blew out any top 25 teams like Purdue did. Using quad 1 wins is a lazy way to try and spin IU as equal or better than Purdue and it simply isn’t true. Head to head proves that theory wrong. Purdue was inconsistent but their ceiling was quite a bit higher than anything IU accomplished.

I can’t give any more definitive “fact” about Purdue having a higher ceiling than the head to head match-up. Seems like that is the clearest indicator we’ve got at this point. If that is 5he case, then the rest of this post doesn’t matter, but I thought I would provide a few thoughts just for discussion.

My criticism of IU basketball falls into two categories:

(1) The players are not complimentary nor skilled enough. They didn’t shoot very well the entire season, nor did they assist very well, nor rebound well. That adds up to an early exit in the tourney. The team roster as a whole Is poorly balanced. Once past TJD, the front line is weak for a BIG team.

(2) The coaching staff struggled with making in-game adjustments, which will also get you bounced out of a single elimination tourney quickly. Now my sample size is small here, so perhaps I misread this situation. When IU and Purdue played, IU expected to go inside. TJD and Brunk were not able to handle Williams and Haarms. Once the go-inside strategy failed, the IU team looked lost, and so did Archie. No effective adjustments, and no guidance to the players on the court in that game. The guys looked lost.
So using your logic, Purdue had a lower ceiling than Nebraska and Rutgers, because of head to head match-ups. LOL

1. So IU players aren't complimentary or skilled because they shot poorly from 3, but Purdue players don't have that same issue even though they shot about the same percentage from 3? Iu had 414 assists on the year. Purdue had 423. If IU didn't assist very well, then neither did Purdue. IU may have been one and done in the NCAA tourney, but I'd rather have that than not make the tournament like Purdue was headed for. I have to completely LOL at Your comment that TJD was our only Big Ten front court player. Justin Smith was/is better than any front court player Purdue has not named Trevion Williams. Brunk is a solid backup center. He will be the backup to TJD this coming year. Would you rather have Brunk or Dow/Edey? That's a very easy question to answer.

2. I wasn't happy with the in game adjustments this year, but Archie is still learning the Big Ten. I read MANY posts on this forum this year complaining about Painter's lack of in game adjustments as well. I actually think Painter is a solid coach and gets great results when he has a roster that fits his play style. Last year's team didn't, and he struggled to adjust. Next year's team looks even less like a team that Painter typically has success with. My guess is he will struggle once again.

The higher ceiling was evident as Purdue blew out some really good teams including a win @ Iowa. IU didn’t have any big road wins and I don’t think they blew out any top 25 teams like Purdue did. Using quad 1 wins is a lazy way to try and spin IU as equal or better than Purdue and it simply isn’t true. Head to head proves that theory wrong. Purdue was inconsistent but their ceiling was quite a bit higher than anything IU accomplished.
Cool, you blew out MSU and Iowa. IU also beat both of those teams. We also beat Nebraska twice which Purdue failed to do. So again, to use your logic of head to head being the only thing that matters, both Rutgers and Nebraska were better than Purdue this year.

IU was going to make the tournament and Purdue was not, so to say Purdue accomplished something better than IU this year is wrong. Congrats on your would be NIT bid, and congrats on having the same type of season next year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT