ADVERTISEMENT

Congrats to George!!

KentuckyBoiler

All-American
Jul 6, 2011
Congrats go out to George on being named the American Family Insurance Defensive Player of the Year!! Can wait to see him on the field for us in 2019!!

Purdue Football‏Verified account@BoilerFootball 10h
#BoilerUp #LetsPlayFootball

DwHgXr1WwAEoo51.jpg

2 replies46 retweets452 likes

when I think of GK, the first player that comes to mind is Ted 'the stork' Hendricks. he was an all pro who played for the Raiders and Packers. he was 6'7 and about 250 with plenty of agility. Some called him an outside linebacker. some called him a defensive end. I just called him an all pro and hall of famer.

Reactions: Fugs and ChuckJr
I haven't seen many highlights or game action of GK at this point, so a question for those that have....what kind of comparison can we make with Ryan Kerrigan? Similar? Different? I don't even know the specs.

I see Yanni is starting to get some love on the Rivals main page as of yesterday. Other teams that have contacted him were listed as Clemson, ND, Miami, Stanford and of course Michigan.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
I haven't seen many highlights or game action of GK at this point, so a question for those that have....what kind of comparison can we make with Ryan Kerrigan? Similar? Different? I don't even know the specs.

I would say that’s a fair comparison.

I would guess (again just me) that George is a bit stronger than Ryan at this point, but Ryan was a bit faster

Basing that on when I saw Kerrigan at the Indiana high school all star game versus George at the state championships

Last edited:
Reactions: pboiler18
Congratulations George. Quite an accomplishment for your young football career. I’ve read a lot of articles on his path to Purdue. It wasn’t easy with passing of his father to transitioning to U.S. from Greece, and playing football when he did not want to do so.
Continue working hard. I wish you all the best. Get that Degree as well!

Reactions: Flot
I see Yanni is starting to get some love on the Rivals main page as of yesterday. Other teams that have contacted him were listed as Clemson, ND, Miami, Stanford and of course Michigan.

Brian has said he thinks Yanni will be a higher regarded recruit than George, he is a monster at LB

didn't we all.

didn't... we all.

*sigh*........
I'm now lighter than my high school weight after my heart bypass surgery. I left 50 pounds in the hospital. This new low sugar and low sodium diet is to die for - literally!

I'm now lighter than my high school weight after my heart bypass surgery. I left 50 pounds in the hospital. This new low sugar and low sodium diet is to die for - literally!

Bigs, sometimes we need a kick in the arse. Glad you've made that kind of progress.

I have a family member with a life-threatening diagnosis. It prompted me to make some changes, and to seek the kind of medical attention men of my age need to seek. I can safely say, the dire future faced by someone else has had a potentially life-saving effect on MY OWN life.

I'll have more to say on this down the road, God willing. But, folks, please do NOT neglect your health. Even if you "feel fine," you could still have some serious sh*t going on inside you. My doctor told me that, in another 3-5 years, I might have had a diagnosis none of us want to hear.

Bigs, sometimes we need a kick in the arse. Glad you've made that kind of progress.

I have a family member with a life-threatening diagnosis. It prompted me to make some changes, and to seek the kind of medical attention men of my age need to seek. I can safely say, the dire future faced by someone else has had a potentially life-saving effect on MY OWN life.

I'll have more to say on this down the road, God willing. But, folks, please do NOT neglect your health. Even if you "feel fine," you could still have some serious sh*t going on inside you. My doctor told me that, in another 3-5 years, I might have had a diagnosis none of us want to hear.
Congrats George, can't wait to see you and our other recruits next year

giphy.gif

Reactions: Purdue85
I don’t think GK is as explosive a player as Kerrigan was and I don’t think he ever will be. There is zero chance GK plays OLB in the NFL. That being said, I think GK reminds me more of Ray Edwards. A simply physically dominating player who used his strength to overwhelm but developed a heck of assortment of moves as he developed. Had he and Pollard stayed their senior years, could easily have both been First Team B1G and AA’s.

Whats our chances with his brother?
This one will be a bit more difficult than with GK. Yanni isn’t as tied to the area but family is an incredible pull factor for both young men. I know it is important for the family to be able to see them play and having one at Purdue and the other at another school makes that pretty much impossible to see both play.

Reactions: pboiler18 and Flot
This one will be a bit more difficult than with GK. Yanni isn’t as tied to the area but family is an incredible pull factor for both young men. I know it is important for the family to be able to see them play and having one at Purdue and the other at another school makes that pretty much impossible to see both play.

Yanni is a stud. I think we'll have to do VERY well to get him on board. Kid said his wish was for Brohm to go to Louisville and then have George decommit and go to Michigan. Tells me who his leader is right now.

If GK has a huge impact and our team is 8-9 wins next year I think that could help change his mind though. This kids #1 priority is winning though and he seems to want to join a winner vs. try to elevate a program to that status.

Then why Michigan, a program that now always underperforms? Ohio State owns them.

If Michigan is under performing...what are we doing?

10 wins is not under performing. They've had offensive issues every year Harbaugh has been there and have to this point never fixed them to where they can get to an elite level. Harbaugh has recruited well but he's actually achieved on a level that his recruiting would dictate. He's recruited in the 5-15 range and his teams have mostly finished in line with that.

I've always been a believer that talent is the a#1 determinant of high level success in CFB. I think that if Purdue continues to recruit in the 20-30 level like we did this year that we will be competitive at a conference level but that even the best coach isn't going to take a team that ranks 20th talent wise and beat a top 5 talent team....because of not only the top 5 talent but those top 5 teams generally have the best coaches too.

Our strategy to the top is a 10 year process. Recruiting gets better. Results on the field get better and each of those positives snowballs with the other to where we recruit in the top 10 and every 4 years or so we have the right mix to compete with ALL, not some of the big boys.

Reactions: SKYDOG
"If Michigan is under performing...what are we doing?"

We're over performing. Look at the difference in the quality of recruits both programs get. Then look at this last years results for the Ohio State game for both teams. In the bowl games for the year before Michigan was the only Big 10 team to lose one.

"If Michigan is under performing...what are we doing?"

We're over performing. Look at the difference in the quality of recruits both programs get. Then look at this last years results for the Ohio State game for both teams. In the bowl games for the year before Michigan was the only Big 10 team to lose one.

I don't think Michigan under performs.

I don't think Harbaugh is a great coach. He's average to good.

Michigan recruits in the 5-15 rnge mostly. I think his average finish is like 11th since he's been there. They
ve been about the 11th best team since he's been there. Are they actually under performing, or just not meeting the expectations set out by a crazy fan base and the out of touch CFB media that just likes talking about Harbaugh?

Yanni is a stud. I think we'll have to do VERY well to get him on board. Kid said his wish was for Brohm to go to Louisville and then have George decommit and go to Michigan. Tells me who his leader is right now.

If GK has a huge impact and our team is 8-9 wins next year I think that could help change his mind though. This kids #1 priority is winning though and he seems to want to join a winner vs. try to elevate a program to that status.
His brother said that? Yikes. Ya doesn't like he would be to thrilled to go here.

If Michigan is under performing...what are we doing?

10 wins is not under performing. They've had offensive issues every year Harbaugh has been there and have to this point never fixed them to where they can get to an elite level. Harbaugh has recruited well but he's actually achieved on a level that his recruiting would dictate. He's recruited in the 5-15 range and his teams have mostly finished in line with that.

I've always been a believer that talent is the a#1 determinant of high level success in CFB. I think that if Purdue continues to recruit in the 20-30 level like we did this year that we will be competitive at a conference level but that even the best coach isn't going to take a team that ranks 20th talent wise and beat a top 5 talent team....because of not only the top 5 talent but those top 5 teams generally have the best coaches too.

Our strategy to the top is a 10 year process. Recruiting gets better. Results on the field get better and each of those positives snowballs with the other to where we recruit in the top 10 and every 4 years or so we have the right mix to compete with ALL, not some of the big boys.

On the surface, your post seems a bit contradictory.

When a team/coach is recruiting in the 5-15 range, there's no way on God's green earth they should be having any sort of "offensive issues." The fact he has "never fixed them" seems to indicate he, as a coach, is under-performing.

Much like when we played OSU this year, there was talk about how their OL had not "jelled." (Given it's OSU, maybe the commentators meant, "Jailed." LOL!) Bottom line, they were not playing well.

With their elite OL recruits, and considering the arguments seen on this forum, there's no way they should have any OL issues.

Don't get me wrong. I know how important it is to get good recruits. Just pointing out some issues with the arguments.

I don’t think GK is as explosive a player as Kerrigan was and I don’t think he ever will be. There is zero chance GK plays OLB in the NFL.

In terms of OLB vs DE, that's mostly a matter of a team's scheme. RK played with his hand in the ground at Purdue. I didn't even realize he's termed an OLB with the 'Skins. I've always considered him to be a rush end which is what GK is.

In terms of OLB vs DE, that's mostly a matter of a team's scheme. RK played with his hand in the ground at Purdue. I didn't even realize he's termed an OLB with the 'Skins. I've always considered him to be a rush end which is what GK is.
In Purdue's scheme the 'rush end' is the LEO which is Barnes if I am understanding their concepts well enough after not really looking in depth at their defense the past two seasons in terms of scheme.

ADVERTISEMENT