ADVERTISEMENT

Commitment Watch

'

Seems like a nice pick up - gives us even more length at 6'. Again another versatile player. She is a grad transfer with 1 year remaining that averaged 8pts and 3 reb last year for Rutgers. Had games of 20 pts against Minny and put up 18 against OSU and Michigan. Nice get!

Before RU she starred at Bradley, putting up 18 points, 3 reb and 2 blocks per game her junior year.

Last edited:
'

Seems like a nice pick up - gives us even more length at 6'. Again another versatile player. She is a grad transfer with 1 year remaining that averaged 8pts and 3 reb last year for Rutgers. Had games of 20 pts against Minny and put up 18 against OSU and Michigan. Nice get!
Transferred last year to Rutgers after 3 years at Bradley so this would be her COVID year?

Interesting

Year 1 - 13.2 ppg (at Bradley)
Year 2 - 16.5 ppg (at Bradley) 14.6 FGA per game at 38.2%
Year 3 - 18.0 ppg (at Bradley) 15.7 FGA per game at 39.0%
Year 4 - 8.3 ppg (at Rutgers) 7.3 FGA per game at 38.2%

So her shooting percentage has remained consistent from her transition from mid-major to Big Ten but her volume was cut in half. She did shoot her best from 3-point range at Rutgers with 37.6% and hit over 80% on free throws. A/T ratio about .5 for her career.

It will be interesting to see how we use her.

She has a weird looking shot - but hey, it goes in and is effective. We are going to have a ton of options this year from the perimeter - again that is something that KG wants to build her program around - we are going to take a lot of 3 pointers as long as she is running the program.

Reactions: DocRon
Her scoring margin dropped while at RU - but I'm not sure you can make much of anything from that considering RU's offense last year was atrocious - averaging a just 58 ppg as a team. She was their third leading scorer but their scoring leader, Osh Brown. averaged just 10 ppg. Simply unbelievable that a power five school would have only 1 player averaging (barely) double digits for the year. She did lead the team with 38 made threes.

Defensively she shined though - ranking second on the team in both steals (35) and blocks (22). That's pretty good considering RU has a ton of really good defenders.

We replace a 36% 3 point shooter in Moore with a 37% 3 pt shooter in Petree. Petree also has a solid 5 inch height advantage as well. Our perimeter defense has just improved tremendously which is really going to help our thin post game. The issue last year was due to lack of length on the perimeter, especially when Moore was in, opposing guards were easily able to attack our biggest weakness by throwing it in the post and causing havoc - especially against Michigan and Iowa. Now that we have replaced Moore with Petree - that will hopefully improve the team's overall post defense even without adding another post player.

Imagine a perimeter lineup of 6' Terry, 6' Petree and 6' Smith out there in a zone. That is a TON of length and athleticism on the perimeter that could cause defensive havoc.

Last edited:
I think this is what we needed and she can help in both areas, probably used the way Woltmann and Learn were. We despertately need inside D. Maybe she is the good version of Farquar. Anyway, good job KG.

Reactions: DocRon
I think this is what we needed and she can help in both areas, probably used the way Woltmann and Learn were. We despertately need inside D. Maybe she is the good version of Farquar. Anyway, good job KG.

I think Petree is much more of a threat offensively - I really think her Rutgers stat line is deceiving. She ended her junior season at Bradley playing Texas in the 1st round of the NCAA tournament where she poured in 33 pts on 10-24 shooting and added 5 blocks against the Longhorns.

ADVERTISEMENT