ADVERTISEMENT

Commitment and what it would mean now

BCfanatic2020

All-American
Jan 5, 2020
Jenkins likely cost the same 400k they were set to pay Scourton to stay. According to stuff I read on on3, Scourton left for 825 and at least access to a house and car.

Even with everything that’s gone on, imagine we went into yesterdays game with Scourton retained and the money spent on Jenkins also spent on a corner and MLB who had proven they could play?

Even with as crappy as this staff has been. I’d still be in favor of letting Walters go.

But we’d have won on Saturday rather easily, and like Joe tiller said “I said to Jim on the headset, ‘boys we got ourselves a QB,’ because without that, you might as well be playing tiddlywinks.” So Purdue would have a QB and a much better defense.

What does it mean? That this team was about a 1.5 million dollar commitment away from still having a good shot at 5-7 even with a train wreck of a staff. Commitment matters and will matter when the next coach comes here.

In fact, many good coaches will ask for guarantees on that front before taking the job

Jenkins likely cost the same 400k they were set to pay Scourton to stay. According to stuff I read on on3, Scourton left for 825 and at least access to a house and car.

Even with everything that’s gone on, imagine we went into yesterdays game with Scourton retained and the money spent on Jenkins also spent on a corner and MLB who had proven they could play?

Even with as crappy as this staff has been. I’d still be in favor of letting Walters go.

But we’d have won on Saturday rather easily, and like Joe tiller said “I said to Jim on the headset, ‘boys we got ourselves a QB,’ because without that, you might as well be playing tiddlywinks.” So Purdue would have a QB and a much better defense.

What does it mean? That this team was about a 1.5 million dollar commitment away from still having a good shot at 5-7 even with a train wreck of a staff. Commitment matters and will matter when the next coach comes here.

In fact, many good coaches will ask for guarantees on that front before taking the job
I would be OK with hiring a VP of Football Operations (aka an executive with total control of player personnel, coaching staff, salary cap, etc) BEFORE hiring a coach.

This executive would report directly to the University President and the BOT. The AD would be in charge of the rest of the sports.

Reactions: BCfanatic2020
I would be OK with hiring a VP of Football Operations (aka an executive with total control of player personnel, coaching staff, salary cap, etc) BEFORE hiring a coach.

This executive would report directly to the University President and the BOT. The AD would be in charge of the rest of the sports.
Point is, Purdue needs more commitment from big money donors or don’t expect to acquire or retain the needed talent. I don’t donate so I’m happy with 5-7 and a pulse. Neither of which we have seen enough of this year.

But I think watching on Saturday it’s obvious we are only a few players from being competitive even with this staff. So imagine with a better staff.

By the way, how many would be okay with Simmons being interim for the remainder of the year.

Point is, Purdue needs more commitment from big money donors or don’t expect to acquire or retain the needed talent. I don’t donate so I’m happy with 5-7 and a pulse. Neither of which we have seen enough of this year.

But I think watching on Saturday it’s obvious we are only a few players from being competitive even with this staff. So imagine with a better staff.

By the way, how many would be okay with Simmons being interim for the remainder of the year.
I think we need a real deal Football Guy (think NFL GM) overseeing the entire operation.

It’s too big of a business now to be reporting to a former college baseball player, no offense to MBob…

We will always have less fan support and therefore less money than other programs. I disagree with the notion that money is needed to get to 5-7. I think money is needed to get to 8+.

The issue there is 2 fold:
1. The fan base won’t invest pre emptively in a loser
2. The fan base won’t invest enough for it to be worth it results wise in the long run.

Get the best coach you can. Scheme to get the most out of your talent. Buy when you have the $. That’s what we can and need to do.

Reactions: Bippus33 and BBG
We will always have less fan support and therefore less money than other programs. I disagree with the notion that money is needed to get to 5-7. I think money is needed to get to 8+.

The issue there is 2 fold:
1. The fan base won’t invest pre emptively in a loser
2. The fan base won’t invest enough for it to be worth it results wise in the long run.

Get the best coach you can. Scheme to get the most out of your talent. Buy when you have the $. That’s what we can and need to do.
I agree with most of what you said. But, when I say 5-7, let’s examine this 8-4 season by Joe tiller, in 1998:

Wins
Northwestern 3-9
Iowa 3-8
Illinois 3-8
Indiana 4-7
Rice 5-6
Minnesota 5-6
Michigan state 6-6
UCF 9-2

Losses
USC 8-5
Notre Dame 9-3
Penn state 9-3
Wisconsin 11-1

Purdue is never playing that easy of a conference schedule again. A team that would go 8-4 against that schedule might be as bad as 5-7 against these schedules.

Danny hope had bowl teams that wouldn’t have won 6 games this year.

The bottom line is that CRW had Scourton last year and he and other players were wasted on a 2023 season that was squandered away by poor coaching. In addition, many of the starters that we did retain
have shown no signs of improvement with there on field performances.
Dare we throw more money at a program that has shown us poor player acquisitions, bad coaching and undisciplined play? I would say not. Multiple facts are indictments on why CRW should not return for a third year......

Last edited:
The bottom line is that CRW had Scourton last year and he and other players were wasted on a 2023 season that was squandered away by poor coaching. In addition, many of the starters that we did retain
have shown no signs of improvement with there on field performances.
Dare we throw more money at a program that has shown us poor player acquisitions, bad coaching and undisciplined play? I would say not. Multiple facts are indictments on why CRW should not return for a third year......
I’m not saying Walters should get more time. We have seen enough. Just saying that more commitment would have led to an easy win on Saturday. Imagine what coupling that commitment with a better coach would mean.

Walters, at best, was 3 years away from being ready. At worst, he never will be.

Basketball also has NIL. They seem to be handling it ok. The AD does have people on his staff besides coaches! Perhaps he needs a few that actually know what they are doing. This is not a one man show where bobo or Walters does everything!

Basketball also has NIL. They seem to be handling it ok. The AD does have people on his staff besides coaches! Perhaps he needs a few that actually know what they are doing. This is not a one man show where bobo or Walters does everything!
Basketball has a guy who can evaluate talent. Football doesn’t.

Two things can be true

Walters doesn’t know what he’s doing

It’s pretty clear Walters had to take a little bit of Money and buy as many players as he could for small amounts. And what he got was a lot of bench guys at the p4 and definitely p2 level. Again, that doesn’t mean he’s good. He’s not

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT