ADVERTISEMENT

Commit 15

A defensive lineman. Willie Lane

The advantage of having a highly qualified coaching staff is their ability to assess talent. In other previous coaching staffs over the last five years I was more concerned about the number of stars as a validation to the coaching staff's assessment of talent. With our current coaching staff I am much more willing to give them credit for finding the diamonds in the rough. This commit is a case in point. Not yet rated, but given the broad net that this coaching staff has cast for seeking talent and given the time still available for recruiting and the number of commits already, I am inclined to believe that Willie Lane is a classic diamond in the rough. Norm

The advantage of having a highly qualified coaching staff is their ability to assess talent. In other previous coaching staffs over the last five years I was more concerned about the number of stars as a validation to the coaching staff's assessment of talent. With our current coaching staff I am much more willing to give them credit for finding the diamonds in the rough. This commit is a case in point. Not yet rated, but given the broad net that this coaching staff has cast for seeking talent and given the time still available for recruiting and the number of commits already, I am inclined to believe that Willie Lane is a classic diamond in the rough. Norm

In the book Meat Market about college football recruiting they mention that a coach/staff has to have a lot of faith in their ability as a talent evaluator to be the first to offer.

Hazell didn't, he drug his feet too much and hindered the rest of the staff.

This coach/staff don't seem that way. They have no issues being "first in the boat" to offer. That can make big impact on the kid

Reactions: Zaphod_B
The position is of course one of need. Glad to see it continue to be addressed. The article mentioned he is someone who could play anywhere on the d-line. Perhaps he could project as a DT. I'd still really like to land DE Madison Norris and DT Branson Deen, both from the Indy area. One, because they're Indiana kids and two, because they are talented players at positions of need. Hopefully this commit isn't an indication of where they think they stand with Norris. I know he will be a tough get with some big suitors, which is why he'd be great to land.

As others have mentioned, this staff does give you a certain trust level with identification of prospects based on their history. We apparently offered this guy in the spring. His other big offer is South Florida, which I'd say is a good one with Charlie Strong in charge.

Either way, welcome aboard Willie Lane. We are glad you want to be a Boiler!

The position is of course one of need. Glad to see it continue to be addressed. The article mentioned he is someone who could play anywhere on the d-line. Perhaps he could project as a DT. I'd still really like to land DE Madison Norris and DT Branson Deen, both from the Indy area. One, because they're Indiana kids and two, because they are talented players at positions of need. Hopefully this commit isn't an indication of where they think they stand with Norris. I know he will be a tough get with some big suitors, which is why he'd be great to land.

As others have mentioned, this staff does give you a certain trust level with identification of prospects based on their history. We apparently offered this guy in the spring. His other big offer is South Florida, which I'd say is a good one with Charlie Strong in charge.

Good catch about USF and Strong. Hard to beat those two for a Florida kid

I think what you are seeing is a somewhat similar approach to what Urban Meyer did at OSU. Granted the rebuild job was much less of a job at a place like OSU, but Meyer knew he would have to build from the lines out and identify other positions of extreme importance based on the current roster. You can compensate for a lack of skill and speed on the outsides through scheme on both sides of the ball (easier on offense than defense imo) but if you don't have the lines to compete or control, it doesn't matter how good or how fast those skill guys are....the best DB's can only cover for so long and the best QB's can only do so much under heavy pressure.

Kudos to this staff for taking a very sensible and reliable approach to their rebuild. It may not be the sexy commits that grab attention from the casual fans of a high level QB, RB, WR, or DB...but it's the right road to take.

I think what you are seeing is a somewhat similar approach to what Urban Meyer did at OSU. Granted the rebuild job was much less of a job at a place like OSU, but Meyer knew he would have to build from the lines out and identify other positions of extreme importance based on the current roster. You can compensate for a lack of skill and speed on the outsides through scheme on both sides of the ball (easier on offense than defense imo) but if you don't have the lines to compete or control, it doesn't matter how good or how fast those skill guys are....the best DB's can only cover for so long and the best QB's can only do so much under heavy pressure.

Kudos to this staff for taking a very sensible and reliable approach to their rebuild. It may not be the sexy commits that grab attention from the casual fans of a high level QB, RB, WR, or DB...but it's the right road to take.
the lack of an end rusher really hurt WKU's D last year.

Kinda wish he knew the name is not The University of Purdue...
Sorta picky but still...
I hear ya but jeepers, think back when you were a junior in HS. I lived in Tipton, Indiana, and at that time I did not know in what city the University of Purdue was located. Had no inkling and no reason to know. This kid lives in Florida. Enough on this already.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT