ADVERTISEMENT

Coming for the Husker game.

Aug 11, 2022
Me and a group visited WL for the Husker Purdue game a few years back and it was a blast. Personally my top 1 or 2 spot for Big Ten road trips.

Last time we hit up

Harry's
Where Else (I think that was the name)
but I can't remember any other bars we might have stopped at in that area.

Any bar suggestions and is the Breakfast Club something that is done for every home game, where the fans dress up?

For the game we ended up tailgating and got hooked up with "Purdue Hodgie", he had this amazing van that looked like the Scooby Doo van only it was all about Purdue, it was a great time.

Can you buy tailgate spots for just one game? We parked off campus (I think) and just walked to the main lot.

Any help is much appreciated!

What do you think the score will be ..
Well, I am a Husker fan so I think NU will win 27-21. I say that for no other reason than the fact that I pretty much think NU will win every game. But if they lose to Purdue by 30 it would not shock me.

But we really just do a road game for the fun, the atmosphere the memories. The Purdue fans were great, especially at Harry's, what place was a blast. I can't remember if that was the place with the upstairs or not but either way, Harry's was the most fun.

Ok … many on your board would be offended by anything other than a 42-3 Nebraska prediction

so, nothing to see here.

ps have you checked Casey Thompson game logs from last year? 😉. Those hyping Nebraska may want to.

Ok … many on your board would be offended by anything other than a 42-3 Nebraska prediction

so, nothing to see here.

ps have you checked Casey Thompson game logs from last year? 😉. Those hyping Nebraska may want to.
I have not but I don't think he will be much of an upgrade at all.

But really I am just more interested in bar/tailgating recommendations.

• Love
Reactions: BCfanatic2020
I have not but I don't think he will be much of an upgrade at all.

But really I am just more interested in bar/tailgating recommendations.
Harry’s is the bar with the upstairs, yes. There’s brothers across the street. Go to Triple XXX for breakfast. Breakfast club is every home game. I think bars open at 8 am on those mornings. I always got a couple hours of sleep and got to Harry’s around 930 and would be at the front of the line. I don’t believe Harry’s opens til 10 am for bclub

Reactions: leodisflowers
Purdue ticket office says this game is running out of tickets. Boiler Up!

BC's disappointment that OP does not fit the meatball Nebraska fan profile is palpable
Ha! Was he hoping for me to be the annoying visiting fan?

Seriously though, we had a blast last time came to WL for a game. Don't take this as anything bad but I can see why sometimes a lot of students might not make the game, the breakfast is hard to leave once you get started! It was so much fun, the fans were awesome, the "worst" we got (and it was not bad at all) was walking down the stairs at Harry's and some fans "fake booing" us, but it was great.

The tailgating was super fun as well.

Right now, Purdue is my 1 or 2 in terms of road trips. Here are my unofficial rankings that no one cares about.

1/2: Purdue and Illinois (the fact that the Greeks can rent out the bars at Illinois and basically get 2 hours of alone times in the bars is pretty amazing)

3: I guess Wisconsin, it was okay.

4. NW, it was basically just a husker game in Evanston.

5. Minny, super lame. When I asked a good place to hit up before the game a fan said "Buffalo Wild Wings"

6. Michigan. My god, terrible. What a lame whine and cheese crowd. Fans were nice but sort of acted like they invented football.

I personally am biased and have Lincoln as the most fun for a game but I think most of us are probably biased to the team we like.

One thing that seemed odd and maybe it was just the gas stations in WL but we could not buy booze or cold beer? Is that a thing or did we just stop in the wrong places?

Reactions: Dennis H.
Harry’s is the bar with the upstairs, yes. There’s brothers across the street. Go to Triple XXX for breakfast. Breakfast club is every home game. I think bars open at 8 am on those mornings. I always got a couple hours of sleep and got to Harry’s around 930 and would be at the front of the line. I don’t believe Harry’s opens til 10 am for bclub
Okay, thanks!

Harry's was a great time. I don't remember the Brothers being there but I am sure we will hit it up.

Is Triple XXX a breakfast joint/strip club (fingers crossed!)

Okay, thanks!

Harry's was a great time. I don't remember the Brothers being there but I am sure we will hit it up.

Lol no just really good food. Was on the food network a while ago

• Haha
Reactions: SuperBigFan
Okay, thanks!

Uncross your fingers. XXX is a diner that has been feeding students great breakfast and sandwiches for nearly 100 years. Sandwiches are named after former Boiler athletes.

One thing that seemed odd and maybe it was just the gas stations in WL but we could not buy booze or cold beer? Is that a thing or did we just stop in the wrong places?
Alcohol of all kinds can be found at a lot of places in Indiana- gas stations, grocery stores, drug stores. But if you want it cold you'll have to stop by a liquor store. And make sure it isn't before noon on Sunday. But at least we don't have state run liquor stores.

Ha! Was he hoping for me to be the annoying visiting fan?

Seriously though, we had a blast last time came to WL for a game. Don't take this as anything bad but I can see why sometimes a lot of students might not make the game, the breakfast is hard to leave once you get started! It was so much fun, the fans were awesome, the "worst" we got (and it was not bad at all) was walking down the stairs at Harry's and some fans "fake booing" us, but it was great.

The tailgating was super fun as well.

Right now, Purdue is my 1 or 2 in terms of road trips. Here are my unofficial rankings that no one cares about.

1/2: Purdue and Illinois (the fact that the Greeks can rent out the bars at Illinois and basically get 2 hours of alone times in the bars is pretty amazing)

3: I guess Wisconsin, it was okay.

4. NW, it was basically just a husker game in Evanston.

5. Minny, super lame. When I asked a good place to hit up before the game a fan said "Buffalo Wild Wings"

6. Michigan. My god, terrible. What a lame whine and cheese crowd. Fans were nice but sort of acted like they invented football.

I personally am biased and have Lincoln as the most fun for a game but I think most of us are probably biased to the team we like.

First off. Thanks for the kind words about the pregame experience from an outsider. I’m used to hearing how WL is not a good game day atmosphere/college town compared to the rest of the B1G so your assessment is refreshing and flattering.

Secondly, another bar you might try is The Tap located in the Chauncey Hill area. It’s a new franchise bar (also located in Indy & Bloomington) and it gives off generic sports bar vibes but I’m sure Breakfast Clubbers will be there on game day as well.

Last edited:
First off. Thanks for the kind words about the pregame experience from an outsider. I’m used to hearing how WL is not a good game day atmosphere/college town compared to the rest of the B1G so your assessment is refreshing and flattering.

Secondly, another new sports bar you might try is The Tap located in the Chauncey Hill area. It’s a new franchise bar (also located on Indy & Bloomington) but I’m sure Breakfast Clubbers will be there on game day as well.
Dude, no joke, I was blown away with how fun WL on game day.

We actually started "late" when we were there, and I was worried we would miss out on stuff but not only did we not miss out but we had to head back to the hotel after some food and nap, we were hammered and worn out!

So many people had undersold how much fun it would be. The Breakfast Club tradition is so cool, we did not dress up in costumes but for college kids that looked like a blast.

Like I said, it me 1/2 spot for road trips so far.

Chauncey hill, thanks! I will add that to the list!

Alcohol of all kinds can be found at a lot of places in Indiana- gas stations, grocery stores, drug stores. But if you want it cold you'll have to stop by a liquor store. And make sure it isn't before noon on Sunday. But at least we don't have state run liquor stores.
Ahhhh, okay, got it.

I am sure we looked super impressive walking around with a warm 18 pack of beers!

We also grabbed a bottle of MD 20/20, to bring back some college memories.

Oh hey, question for you or others, we did not get a chance to see "Greek Row" is there one main street with all the houses? I was in one while at Lincoln, so I always like taking a look at the houses.

Ahhhh, okay, got it.

I am sure we looked super impressive walking around with a warm 18 pack of beers!

Oh hey, question for you or others, we did not get a chance to see "Greek Row" is there one main street with all the houses? I was in one while at Lincoln, so I always like taking a look at the houses.
The Greek houses are spread all over. You'll see several around campus and the surrounding "town" area. IMO not much to see, but if that's your thing there are plenty around. If you are looking for some visual/architectural aesthetics, just take the scenic route through campus. If you are coming to the stadium from the bars on State Street, meander up to through the middle of campus and you'll get a nice little highlight tour- the Union, Memorial mall, bell tower, Purdue mall, fountain, Armstrong statue, Cary Quad, Mackey arena. For a Big Ten school the main part of the campus is fairly compact and walkable.

Okay, thanks!

1. It’s after XXX root beer which is the grade the most premium root beer was given in early 1900s. XXX diners were McDonald’s before McDonald’s .. their own diner menus but had to serve the XXX root beer. There are only two left. People will have hard core reactions either way about the burger with peanut butter.. don’t get it… just get a double cheeseburger with grilled onions nothing else. Their burger is good enough to not need PB. Though being from Nebraska you may not think the meat is good at all.

2. I’m convinced you’re an Iowa fan who made a bet that you could convince us that you’re a Nebraska fan … sorry

• Haha
Ahhhh, okay, got it.

Two areas of Fraternity/Sorority housing near the stadium.

Tower Acres- the Greek houses near the the Water Tower (Tower Dr & David Ross Rd). Most of the houses back up into the golf courses, they also do parking as well.

Russell Street- more stereotypical “Greek Row” just houses that are also mingled with residential dorms and cultural centers

Last edited:
1. It’s after XXX root beer which is the grade the most premium root beer was given in early 1900s. XXX diners were McDonald’s before McDonald’s .. their own diner menus but had to serve the XXX root beer. There are only two left. People will have hard core reactions either way about the burger with peanut butter.. don’t get it… just get a double cheeseburger with grilled onions nothing else. Their burger is good enough to not need PB. Though being from Nebraska you may not think the meat is good at all.

2. I’m convinced you’re an Iowa fan who made a bet that you could convince us that you’re a Nebraska fan … sorry
I am a Husker fan, which means we don't care about Iowa at all.

I grew up in Illinois...Iowa is where you go when you can't get into Illinois!

The Greek houses are spread all over. You'll see several around campus and the surrounding "town" area. IMO not much to see, but if that's your thing there are plenty around. If you are looking for some visual/architectural aesthetics, just take the scenic route through campus. If you are coming to the stadium from the bars on State Street, meander up to through the middle of campus and you'll get a nice little highlight tour- the Union, Memorial mall, bell tower, Purdue mall, fountain, Armstrong statue, Cary Quad, Mackey arena. For a Big Ten school the main part of the campus is fairly compact and walkable.
We saw Mackey last time, the outside of it is super cool looking (Full disclosure, I am a Husker football fan but an Illini Basketball fan)

I like Painter though, I think most opposing fans like him actually.

It will be the place to be on Friday night. Great place and great entertainment as Bruce the Piano man will be playing. If you in on Friday hit it up.

I have no idea if this is a big road trip for husker fans this season (with 10,000 going to Ireland for that stupid game and the Iowa game is a short trip) but there are no hotels with vacancies near WL.

It will be the place to be on Friday night. Great place and great entertainment as Bruce the Piano man will be playing. If you in on Friday hit it up.
Nine Irish Brothers which is the same area as Neon Cactus (Levee Plaza) is a fun place with good food. Check it out.

Have you had Valentinos at a Nebraska game? Damn good
I can’t imagine there’s good pizza in Nebraska .. even the locals give it 3 stars and Im sure you can serve them tomato soup out of a can for sauce and they don’t know any better

I can’t imagine there’s good pizza in Nebraska .. even the locals give it 3 stars and Im sure you can serve them tomato soup out of a can for sauce and they don’t know any better
BC, you have been pretty tough on Nebraska fans. Is there a back story?

BC, you have been pretty tough on Nebraska fans. Is there a back story?
That’s not a Nebraska take that’s a “anywhere Italians didn’t immigrate in large quantities the pizza probably isn’t good” take.

just so you know I’m consistent.. I think BBQ and all southern food in general is at best okay in Chicago. The biscuits and gravy at the Purdue Union was better than anything I can get.

I actually like this guy. He’s kinda how I am if someone were to challenge me and say that we will miss George karlaftis. Instead of putting together a word salad that plays make believe I’d be like “yeah, we may have trouble rushing the passer.”

someone on KC told me “oh yeah, well tacos are better in LA than Chicago.” My reaction.. a Matt painter “well no shit” lol

Reactions: indyogb and delarno
That’s not a Nebraska take that’s a “anywhere Italians didn’t immigrate in large quantities the pizza probably isn’t good” take.

just so you know I’m consistent.. I think BBQ and all southern food in general is at best okay in Chicago. The biscuits and gravy at the Purdue Union was better than anything I can get.

I actually like this guy. He’s kinda how I am if someone were to challenge me and say that we will miss George karlaftis. Instead of putting together a word salad that plays make believe I’d be like “yeah, we may have trouble rushing the passer.”

someone on KC told me “oh yeah, well tacos are better in LA than Chicago.” My reaction.. a Matt painter “well no shit” lol
Speaking of Chicago...I wish there were more Portillo's!

Speaking of Chicago...I wish there were more Portillo's!
Since you’re one of the good Nebraska fans that @BoilerN tells me exist in Nebraska and off of the internet.. check this place out when passing through

Portillo’s was bought by investors (they’ve tasted saltier since then; more mass produced as well) and even before then they were not near my tops:

1. Johnnie’s beef - elm wood park
2. Al’s Taylor street (has to be this location)
3. Mr. beef on Orleans

These places are going to be doing the old school slow roasting of the beef overnight and then letting it sit in gravy with a great spice mix. All three blow portillo’s out of the water as you’ll notice by the line down the block if you go to Johnnie’s on your way out of town on the weekend..

To me Italian sandwich and NOT PIZZA is what Chicago does best In the country, though the pizza is damn good.

for that, you’ll get a lot of bs recommendations on Facebook. Do

Freddy’s Cicero (look this place up, best Italian experience west of New Jersey in the US) - get a margarita pizza here and an Italian sub and gelato
Vito and nicks
Palermo’s 63rd (gotta like sweet sauce)

If Nebraska at Purdue is an early game and you head back Saturday id recommend leaving hungry on your way out of town and going to one of those places … stay in Chicago that night and then hit up more in the morning but remember … Freddy’s closed on Sunday

In this video Freddy’s is at 14:40 and Vito and nicks at 7:40

Since you’re one of the good Nebraska fans that @BoilerN tells me exist in Nebraska and off of the internet.. check this place out when passing through

Portillo’s was bought by investors (they’ve tasted saltier since then; more mass produced as well) and even before then they were not near my tops:

1. Johnnie’s beef - elm wood park
2. Al’s Taylor street (has to be this location)
3. Mr. beef on Orleans

These places are going to be doing the old school slow roasting of the beef overnight and then letting it sit in gravy with a great spice mix. All three blow portillo’s out of the water as you’ll notice by the line down the block if you go to Johnnie’s on your way out of town on the weekend..

To me Italian sandwich and NOT PIZZA is what Chicago does best In the country, though the pizza is damn good.

for that, you’ll get a lot of bs recommendations on Facebook. Do

Freddy’s Cicero (look this place up, best Italian experience west of New Jersey in the US) - get a margarita pizza here and an Italian sub and gelato
Vito and nicks
Palermo’s 63rd (gotta like sweet sauce)

If Nebraska at Purdue is an early game and you head back Saturday id recommend leaving hungry on your way out of town and going to one of those places … stay in Chicago that night and then hit up more in the morning but remember … Freddy’s closed on Sunday

In this video Freddy’s is at 14:40 and Vito and nicks at 7:40

You don't believe me aye?

ADVERTISEMENT