ADVERTISEMENT

Cold Shooting Boilers Still Manage to Hit Century Mark vs. SIUE

BoilerPride08

Senior
May 18, 2006
Purdue easily beats SIUE 100-58 last night. Key stat of the game IMO is that they only went 5-17 from the 3-point line but used a chaotic deffense to force 25 TO's and then capitalized in transition to a tune of 42 pts off TOs. Coming in to this season - one of my main worries was how we'd do on cold perimeter shooting nights as we are designed to be very perimeter oriented. Now SIUE is not great competition - but to be able to score 100 pts on an off-shooting night against any D1 team is extremely encouraging going forward. KG has stated the main priority in every practice is getting better defensively, and it shows! LOVING what I'm seeing with Ellis and especially Terry - had Terry had to play the whole game she would've flirted with a quadruple double. But they didn't need her much after halftime and still finished with a stellar stat line - 17, 7, 4 and 4.

Nice overall win.

Can't love Ellis enough and what she brings to the table for this team, same with Terry. It's amazing to me that Ellis scores 29 points in 18 minutes and she's NOT starting for this team. She brings so much quickness and energy and 85% FT shooting, and incredible spin moves and she was deadly from 3 pt range last night. And to have her and Jayla Smith coming off the bench now says quite a bit about how the talent level has improved in 2022 because you're not taking Petree out of the starting lineup, maybe Hardin, but not Terry, or Madison Layden...so to have your 4th option in the backcourt score 29 is pretty awesome. Just wish they had as much depth in the front court, but Learn is another nice player to have coming off the bench and she's a frontcourt player. It's a nice mix and rotation this season.

I watched the game last night and here are some of my observations along with thought sfrom before this
LOve coach Geralds energy and the fight and energy in the team. Yet, we are a long way off from becoming a very good BB team. PLease understand I love all players and they are a great group of ladies who represent the University well, but I wish to speak purily on their athletic BB abilities. There isn't one player who is a true outstanding athletic talent.(and I admit that aren't that many of that type in womans BB). Harper is a nice player but as is typical she can't jump off the ground well. Layden is slow and her strong point was supposed to be her shooting but she can't make ashot when pressured and has a hard time when wide open. Hardin is hard nosed but again slow and doesn't shoot well. Petree is the most athletic of the group but that isn't saying she is great.
Ellis the person with the most hustle and gets the most out of her game. Smith has potential but she seems reluctent to want to take her game to the next level.
Overall, we are going to be in big trouble when we play teams who ae significantly better than us. The only way we are going to compete with the bigs is to go out and really, really ramp up our recruiting to bring in some of the very top players(the ones who are game changers in themselves) I realizee this isn't easy unless you go out and cheat like many other schools do,but since there aren't penalties for cheating anymore(actually weren't very many before because of the NCAA) we need toget it going. And now with money being thrown around even to woman players and with Purdue's always wanting to play by the rules I don't envision us getting to where we were in the past. Hope I am completely wrong and I will stiil always cheer for Purdue no matter.

Can't love Ellis enough and what she brings to the table for this team, same with Terry. It's amazing to me that Ellis scores 29 points in 18 minutes and she's NOT starting for this team. She brings so much quickness and energy and 85% FT shooting, and incredible spin moves and she was deadly from 3 pt range last night. And to have her and Jayla Smith coming off the bench now says quite a bit about how the talent level has improved in 2022 because you're not taking Petree out of the starting lineup, maybe Hardin, but not Terry, or Madison Layden...so to have your 4th option in the backcourt score 29 is pretty awesome. Just wish they had as much depth in the front court, but Learn is another nice player to have coming off the bench and she's a frontcourt player. It's a nice mix and rotation this season.

We need to take some things into consideration. Ellis was a starter to start the season before her injury - and she will be again sometime in the near future. She is working her way back from injury. Layden had an unusually off night shooting but that doesn't happen often - I love the lineup of Terry, Ellis, Layden, Petree and Harper with Smith, Hardin, Woltman and Learn as first off the bench. It's evident Potts and especially Stoddard will have to take more time to develop. So that's 9-deep, save for injuries, and I like that depth. We are still extremely thin in the front court. The LAST thing we need is a major injury to Harper or Woltman.

I watched the game last night and here are some of my observations along with thought sfrom before this
LOve coach Geralds energy and the fight and energy in the team. Yet, we are a long way off from becoming a very good BB team. PLease understand I love all players and they are a great group of ladies who represent the University well, but I wish to speak purily on their athletic BB abilities. There isn't one player who is a true outstanding athletic talent.(and I admit that aren't that many of that type in womans BB). Harper is a nice player but as is typical she can't jump off the ground well. Layden is slow and her strong point was supposed to be her shooting but she can't make ashot when pressured and has a hard time when wide open. Hardin is hard nosed but again slow and doesn't shoot well. Petree is the most athletic of the group but that isn't saying she is great.
Ellis the person with the most hustle and gets the most out of her game. Smith has potential but she seems reluctent to want to take her game to the next level.
Overall, we are going to be in big trouble when we play teams who ae significantly better than us. The only way we are going to compete with the bigs is to go out and really, really ramp up our recruiting to bring in some of the very top players(the ones who are game changers in themselves) I realizee this isn't easy unless you go out and cheat like many other schools do,but since there aren't penalties for cheating anymore(actually weren't very many before because of the NCAA) we need toget it going. And now with money being thrown around even to woman players and with Purdue's always wanting to play by the rules I don't envision us getting to where we were in the past. Hope I am completely wrong and I will stiil always cheer for Purdue no matter.

We won 17 games last year and this team is way deeper and more talented. Last year's team lived and died by the 3 point shot. This years team is much more well rounded offensively and a lot better defensively. So no. we are not that long off from winning 20+ games and being in contention of an NCAA tournament - which is the only realistic expectation KG had being in her second year after taking over a dumpster fire, 7-win team. Petree, Ellis, Smith and Terry are our athletes. They can get to the bucket at-will against most of the competition we will be going against. Layden, Hardin, Harper are our talents - they can take over any given game with their shooting/post moves. Woltman and Learn will need to have a combination of both. That's 9-deep. The biggest issue this team will run up against is that the Big 10 is incredibly deep this year. IU, Ohio State, Maryland, Iowa are going to be extremely tough to beat. But after those 4 I really like our chances against everyone else.

We won 17 games last year and this team is way deeper and more talented. Last year's team lived and died by the 3 point shot. This years team is much more well rounded offensively and a lot better defensively. So no. we are not that long off from winning 20+ games and being in contention of an NCAA tournament - which is the only realistic expectation KG had being in her second year after taking over a dumpster fire, 7-win team. Petree, Ellis, Smith and Terry are our athletes. They can get to the bucket at-will against most of the competition we will be going against. Layden, Hardin, Harper are our talents - they can take over any given game with their shooting/post moves. Woltman and Learn will need to have a combination of both. That's 9-deep. The biggest issue this team will run up against is that the Big 10 is incredibly deep this year. IU, Ohio State, Maryland, Iowa are going to be extremely tough to beat. But after those 4 I really like our chances against everyone else.
I am willing to bet Michigan will be better than Maryland and MSU seems to be playing very well. Nebraska is ranked also..... Getting into the top half of the conference would seem to be above our talent level we have on the bench at this time. I also laugh at the "get to the basket at will comment".... either very funny or rather delusional.

It cracks me up that the ladies beat a team by 40 points. And all some people can see is negatives. Lol.

As for me, I really enjoyed the game. It was a good effort. There was a little lull to start the second half. But other than that, plenty of positives to build on.

Reactions: RBryant311
It cracks me up that the ladies beat a team by 40 points. And all some people can see is negatives. Lol.

As for me, I really enjoyed the game. It was a good effort. There was a little lull to start the second half. But other than that, plenty of positives to build on.
I agree with your second sentence, but no matter the truth is obvious that we don't have near enough talent to compete with the good teams let alone have a chance to win. Hopefully that will change but we still.need to be able to recruit some difference makers if we want to rise to the top. And that won't be easy, And, I still don't think that Layden is a great outside shooter

Reactions: MichaelRR
SIUE is 0-3 and lost to powerhouse Saint Louis U 95-38..... Clubbing baby seals doesn't mean you can hit the ball in the major leagues.

Reactions: RBryant311
I am willing to bet Michigan will be better than Maryland and MSU seems to be playing very well. Nebraska is ranked also..... Getting into the top half of the conference would seem to be above our talent level we have on the bench at this time. I also laugh at the "get to the basket at will comment".... either very funny or rather delusional.
You know what I continually laugh at? You saying in April that we couldn’t get anyone of substance from the transfer portal yet our two transfers are averaging a combined 34 ppg. Talk about DELUSIONAL. 😂

Reactions: Russ Ford
You know what I continually laugh at? You saying in April that we couldn’t get anyone of substance from the transfer portal yet our two transfers are averaging a combined 34 ppg. Talk about DELUSIONAL. 😂
We'll see how they do when we play someone decent and not easy wins. And I said we'd not get three starters and all big ten level players including a top fight center like you were claiming. I always said we'd possibly get one or two contributors, afterall now four of our top seven players are transfers in. You also claimed UMinn would be better this year because they'd haul in a while team off the portal better than who they lost.....

Look, Michael found a friend.... or created a second account.

We'll see how they do when we play someone decent and not easy wins. And I said we'd not get three starters and all big ten level players including a top fight center like you were claiming. I always said we'd possibly get one or two contributors, afterall now four of our top seven players are transfers in. You also claimed UMinn would be better this year because they'd haul in a while team off the portal better than who they lost.....
I apologize for writing something incorrect. I misremembered what I had said earlier and in no way was trying to be deceptive. That is why I have not pulled or edited the original wrong posting.

Look, Michael found a friend.... or created a second account.
Nah, I have enough real friends I don't need imaginary ones on discussion boards. I am confident enough in myself I don't need false validation. Those persons getting excited about beating three horrible teams are building themselves up for disappointment when we start playing teams that have some talent and coaching, but I am mostly content to sit back and laugh at them when reality bites them in the butt...... ;P

Okay Russ, you asked me my opinion, my turn: Do you really think the margin of victory against terrible teams is any indication of the strength of a Big Ten team?

Okay Russ, you asked me my opinion, my turn: Do you really think the margin of victory against terrible teams is any indication of the strength of a Big Ten team?
Does it indicate that this team is ready to compete with a Connecticut? No, of course not. Does it indicate that this team is improved over last year? Yes, absolutely.....if you say you don't see the improvements that this team has made in year 2 under Coach Geralds. Then to me, you are not really being honest.

The two transfers are huge improvements over last year. I really didn't know what to expect when Petree and Harper committed. I knew next to nothing about them. But even you have to admit they have been very good so far.

Next and maybe more importantly.....unforced turnovers are way down. Can it be improved even more? Once again, absolutely.....cutting turnovers is something that can always be improved.

I think the big value in these type of games is building the teams confidence and comradery. I'm a huge believer in the importance of confidence in sports. Most times if you believe you are going to be successful then you will be. If you think you are going to fail then most likely you will.

These games also show Coach Geralds and her staff what they need to work on and it gives the chance to experiment with different lineup combos.

You also seem to doubt Coach Geralds because of her experience I guess. I'm more of the school of thought that if you can coach, you can coach, no matter the level. The little administrative things that you obsess over don't really worry me. She will learn on the fly just like everyone who moves into a new more difficult position.

I also think the Freshmen will end up playing meaningful minutes before the season is done. Coach Geralds seems to take her time with integrating Freshmen into the rotation. If you remember, Ava Learn did not play much at all early last season. Then in the second half of the season she became a valuable contributor.

My preseason hopes were a 20+ win season and at least 1 win in the Big Dance. I've seen nothing so far to make me doubt that they are capable of that and even more.

Does it indicate that this team is ready to compete with a Connecticut? No, of course not. Does it indicate that this team is improved over last year? Yes, absolutely.....if you say you don't see the improvements that this team has made in year 2 under Coach Geralds. Then to me, you are not really being honest.

The two transfers are huge improvements over last year. I really didn't know what to expect when Petree and Harper committed. I knew next to nothing about them. But even you have to admit they have been very good so far.

Next and maybe more importantly.....unforced turnovers are way down. Can it be improved even more? Once again, absolutely.....cutting turnovers is something that can always be improved.

I think the big value in these type of games is building the teams confidence and comradery. I'm a huge believer in the importance of confidence in sports. Most times if you believe you are going to be successful then you will be. If you think you are going to fail then most likely you will.

These games also show Coach Geralds and her staff what they need to work on and it gives the chance to experiment with different lineup combos.

You also seem to doubt Coach Geralds because of her experience I guess. I'm more of the school of thought that if you can coach, you can coach, no matter the level. The little administrative things that you obsess over don't really worry me. She will learn on the fly just like everyone who moves into a new more difficult position.

I also think the Freshmen will end up playing meaningful minutes before the season is done. Coach Geralds seems to take her time with integrating Freshmen into the rotation. If you remember, Ava Learn did not play much at all early last season. Then in the second half of the season she became a valuable contributor.

My preseason hopes were a 20+ win season and at least 1 win in the Big Dance. I've seen nothing so far to make me doubt that they are capable of that and even more.
UILL closest game is a 32 point win, are they hugely improved and a threat? MSU has won 6 games with an average margin of victory of 45 ppg. UMich is likewise winning by over 30 ppg average in the clubbing baby seals games.... Does that make them one of the top teams in the BT?.... What you are seeing in our games is what you want to see and is really not indicative of anything yet.... Wait a couple of weeks then we will actually know if we've improved or just played a really poor set of teams so far.

Certainly there are things that look promising in our games, and things that trouble me.... Once we start playing teams that can actually compete on our level, we will see what the reality is for this season.

Learn started playing after Kyle's injury, no reason to suggest major changes in the bench players minutes other than Ellis without such a catalyst.

Also nothing is more fragile than false confidence; see IU football every year once they get into BT play and reality sets in.

UILL closest game is a 32 point win, are they hugely improved and a threat? MSU has won 6 games with an average margin of victory of 45 ppg. UMich is likewise winning by over 30 ppg average in the clubbing baby seals games.... Does that make them one of the top teams in the BT?.... What you are seeing in our games is what you want to see and is really not indicative of anything yet.... Wait a couple of weeks then we will actually know if we've improved or just played a really poor set of teams so far.

Certainly there are things that look promising in our games, and things that trouble me.... Once we start playing teams that can actually compete on our level, we will see what the reality is for this season.

Learn started playing after Kyle's injury, no reason to suggest major changes in the bench players minutes other than Ellis without such a catalyst.

Also nothing is more fragile than false confidence; see IU football every year once they get into BT play and reality sets in.
Well Michael you can hold on to your negativity if you want. I'll hold on to my positivity.

I predict I'll enjoy the season more. Lol.

ADVERTISEMENT