ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Walters Tv interview

*Shockerrr*

True Freshman
Apr 26, 2015
The only good thing so far was listening to him speak. The man sounds impressive so I sure hope he can back his words up on the field cause this team needs some Dogs on both sides of the ball. He may of been joking but I love how he said we start bright and early tomorrow morning!

I think Walters will need to get us back a new years Bowl game by year 2 if not next year or it will be time to move on. with the portal and NIL, coaches at P5 programs and especially at one that just played for a big ten championship and are doing a stadium renovation, simply can’t get 4 years anymore and cannot afford to take a step backwards.

I think Walters will need to get us back a new years Bowl game by year 2 if not next year or it will be time to move on. with the portal and NIL, coaches at P5 programs and especially at one that just played for a big ten championship and are doing a stadium renovation, simply can’t get 4 years anymore and cannot afford to take a step backwards.
Huh? Year 2? GTFOH.

That seems unrealistic. Brohm raised Purdue's profile, but this isn't Auburn. You might be overestimating the value of a single trip to the conference championship game.

If Walters can some how get Purdue to a bowl game next year and then a 8/9 win season the following year I’d say he would have the program going in the right direction.

There's about a 10% likelihood we'll be going to a bowl game next year. Especially seeing how yesterday played out. The ONLY way that happens is if Walters makes one hell of a statement in the portal...

Assuming divisions get re-aligned in 2024 it's going to be a long time before another championship game...this was the perfect storm of a scheduling year.

Schedule yes, for sure.....and candidly, the WEST was pretty weak this year compared to most years. I still think Illinois was the best team in the West Division, but they really messed up a couple of games and kicked away their chances. Plus, Purdue also got the early holiday gift when Nebraska knocked off Iowa.

I'll also say this in passing - I do appreciate what Jeff Brohm did for Purdue and the program. They had their moments, just not enough sustainable ones for bigger success. I don't like the timing and the way things ended and how Purdue handled the interim process, but he's moved on, and a new chapter begins with Ryan Walters and staff.

With all that.....I like what I've seen and heard so far from Coach Walters.....big challenge in front of him, but I think he is up to it.....we shall see. Realistically, he's going to need more than a couple of years to right the ship and put his stamp on the program.....everyone has their own way with expectations and if they want to manage them accordingly. Of course, just like with basketball, volleyball, baseball, golf, and every other Purdue men's and women's sports......they're stuck with me as an alum.

I just got a heavy dose (like a firehose) of Boilerepherine yesterday. Please, just give me a moment or two.

Reactions: purduepat1969
Oh, u are real tough. Next year is gonna be real tough, starting a new QB, lets give Walters a chance before u fire him.

Unless you’re scratching a 7 figure check to the Boilermaker Alliance, I have to assume you’re being purposely dense.

That seems unrealistic. Brohm raised Purdue's profile, but this isn't Auburn. You might be overestimating the value of a single trip to the conference championship game.
As to Brohm raising Purdue's profile-

allow me to digress for a minute. Back when Tony Dungy was coaching the Colts and Peyton M, he was hailed as this great coach for all the success the team had for a number of years, with Peyton under center. I have always maintained the Colts success was due more to Peyton than the coaching staff. There was a season when Brady was out either the whole year or went out in the first game and the Patriots played a whole season with, was it Matt Castle? And I think they won like 12 games that year. The Colts, during the year Manning was out, won like 2 games? So which team had a coach with a winning system and which one had a winning QB?

OK- back to the point. Purdue had a walk on QB that Brohm may have helped develop but if his development abilities were so effective, why did none of his quarterback recruits ever amount to anything at Purdue? Imagine if you will the last two seasons w/o AOC on the field. Plug in Plummer or Burton (yes, a transfer but one CJB sought out)

Sorry- sent it a bit early. What are the chances we would have sniffed 9 wins last year with any other QB on the roster but Aidian playing all year? I think a lot of the perception of Brohm raising the program was due to his good fortune at AOC having walked on and stuck it out thru good times and bad. The first four years under Jeff were nothing to write home about. First two years were not terrible with previous coach's players but years 3 and 4 were pretty bad. At the end of year 4 no one was talking about the program having been raised up and I think primary credit for the last two years has to go to AOC.
Don't get me wrong- I liked Jeff but was never under the illusion he was anything more than OK here. I was considering not renewing my season tickets next year (which have had since I graduated in '72 {BSChE}- wife and I both had to work weekends while I was in school so we have been making it up to ourselves ever since). But the new coaching staff- Walters and Harrell have me excited for the future so we are going nowhere next fall but back to WL on Saturdays, again. A good, consistent defense is one thing Jeff never seemed much interested in. His idea of balance was run/pass- mine is offense/defense. Boiler Up!!

allow me to digress for a minute. Back when Tony Dungy was coaching the Colts and Peyton M, he was hailed as this great coach for all the success the team had for a number of years, with Peyton under center. I have always maintained the Colts success was due more to Peyton than the coaching staff. There was a season when Brady was out either the whole year or went out in the first game and the Patriots played a whole season with, was it Matt Castle? And I think they won like 12 games that year. The Colts, during the year Manning was out, won like 2 games? So which team had a coach with a winning system and which one had a winning QB?

OK- back to the point. Purdue had a walk on QB that Brohm may have helped develop but if his development abilities were so effective, why did none of his quarterback recruits ever amount to anything at Purdue? Imagine if you will the last two seasons w/o AOC on the field. Plug in Plummer or Burton (yes, a transfer but one CJB sought out)
All fair points. But, Brohm did lead Purdue to its first back-to-back 8 win seasons in 20 years. For me, though, the vibe he brought back to Purdue football was just as important.

Dude, you're out of your mind with those kinds of expectations for a first year head coach, in the Big Ten, with a program like Purdue especially given our brutal schedule next year.

Given all the changes the conference is going to see in the next few years, I fully expect Walters to be given at least 4 full years with mediocre results before that seat warms up.

Brohm def turned our program around from where it was, but it was a bit of a house of cards, and we saw how quickly that can all come crashing down.

Patience is def gonna be required, but as long as the teams to out and at least compete in the first year or two, I think we'll be fine in the end

Last edited:
Dude, you're out of your mind with those kinds of expectations for a first year head coach, in the Big Ten, with a program like Purdue especially given our brutal schedule next year.

Given all the changes the conference is going to see in the next few years, I fully expect Walters to be given at least 4 full years with mediocre results before that seat warms up.

Brohm def turned our program around from where it was, but it was a bit of a house of cards, and we saw how quickly that can all come crashing down.

Patience is def gonna be required, but as long as the teams to out and at least compete in the first year or two, I think we'll be fine in the
My guess is the seat is Hell Hot in two years.

Patience is def gonna be required, but as long as the teams to out and at least compete in the first year or two, I think we'll be fine in the end
pretty much my response too. Unless your Sonny Dykes, the first year is always brutal.

I agree that Tony definitely benefited in having Manning under center. However, Tony won at least 10 games each season as the coach of the Colts. You're thinking of Caldwell :)

AOC saved Brohm's ass. Unless he finds a great QB to run his plays we go nowhere.

Not sure if anyone here follows Mick Walker on Twitter, but Walters and Co are continuing to go after 4 stars left and right. Most are '24 kids, but I believe they have a couple of offers already out to some '25 kids.

Note: you don't need twitter to go through his twitter page.

Not sure if anyone here follows Mick Walker on Twitter, but Walters and Co are continuing to go after 4 stars left and right. Most are '24 kids, but I believe they have a couple of offers already out to some '25 kids.

Yes he’s a good follow! If you can filter through the crap on twitter it is a nice place to check sports and recruiting stuff. Sounds like a few Indiana high school guys will be visiting this weekend.

How about I'm as right about this one as I was about the Haze? At least the Haze had been a head coach.

Dude, you've not liked ANY hire that's been made by Purdue.

And you have an enormous problem with admitting you were wrong.

You lost absolutely all credibility in talking about coaching hires when you wanted Les Miles here.

Get over yourself...

I started following him too in the last 2 weeks or so. Mick is clearly in with the program. He knows where all the coaches are at all times and who they're after. Tons of nuggets.

Reactions: krf3632
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT