ADVERTISEMENT

Coach suggestion ?

what I'd really like to see is some of the more vocal posters here go out out on a limb and provide your choice before the choice is made.

You critisized the les Miles pick, but never offered your own opinion before the Brohm hire was made. At least one person here had the balls to go out on a limb and make a prediction.

I'll admit at the time, I wanted Tressel or Bowden.

maybe purdue should follow Nebraska's lead and go after an NFL coach who is about to be fired.

a really really crazy idea. Hire Painter. he's a purdue alumni. he played QB. he played in the NFL for the colts. Then Purdue could have Painter coaching both basketball and football.

Candidate calls being placed by the Purdue AD today to Agents to gauge interest are -

Dave Clawson
Jason Candle
Chris Creighton

I could see us offering Dave Clawson 5 years and 35 million to come here. With the new B10 money and the stadium doing very well in terms of ticket sales, that could be possible.

Reactions: boiler800
Put me on the JaMarcus Shepperd or Mark Hagen bandwagon. None of the other coaching names really inspire me.

Those are the two without HC experience that I've seen mentioned that intrigue me most.

However, I think my top choice would be to try and replicate the Brohm hire with Traylor at UTSA or Helton at WKU. Similar to Brohm at WKU, both guys have won at a real high clip in their conferences (teams with similar talent level) and have been competitive against the higher talent non-conf teams (Traylor even has a win at Illinois). I don't think anyone can come to Purdue and just out-recruit the competition right off the bat, so that's the kind of HC profile/track record that appeals most to me.

How about Wolegib Jr? He’s coached several all Americans , won a conference championship, doesn’t have a buyout clause, and from what I hear, he also has an outstanding track record!

Recruiting dude Mike Farrell lists his top 5 as:

Kevin Sumlin
Troy Calhoun
Tyson Helton
Mike Denbrock - LSU OC
JaMarcus Shephard

urban meyer would be an interesting hire. he's hinted at wanting to get back into college coaching. Purdue is willing to pay a decent salary for an experienced coach. the future BIG 10 network payout will be huge. he'd have a chance to compete against Mich, OSU, UCLA and USC. There has been talk with the additions of UCLA and USC, that Purdue would shift to the eastern side of the Big 10.

Purdue has some talent to work with, and he could recruit some elite players to build on that talent. I suspect he'd bring some very good assistants with him. If urban came to Purdue, I doubt any current player would leave or decommit.

he'd be my choice.

Recruiting dude Mike Farrell lists his top 5 as:

Kevin Sumlin
Troy Calhoun
Tyson Helton
Mike Denbrock - LSU OC
JaMarcus Shephard
no to the top 2. I know Calhoun was in the mix before but don't think he'd be a good fit, good coach though Denbrock was at nd so MBOB is familiar but would rather have Clark Lea in the mix, if looking at ex domers

Last edited:
I’ll tell you two MAC coaches I’ve had some first-hand dealings with who really impress me.

Sean Lewis** from Kent State
Mike Neu from Ball State

I’m sure they wouldn’t be popular picks here. And I understand why. I’m also sure neither will happen.

But keep your eye on both of them.

** I just read where Lewis took the OC job at Colorado for Deion Sanders. But still, watch that guy. He’s got it.
Neu has not been able to win consistently at BSU, no way.

I think Dave Clawson would be a good fit for Purdue. He has done wonders at Wake. It's very hard to recruit to Wake Forest but they are always competitive. His offense gives opposing teams fits.

Baylor OC Jeff Grimes…
Good choice.

Brian Newberry at Navy could be another.

Think we need a HC that will recruit the SE. Get away from the MAC level recruits. SE is loaded with talent, SEC schools can’t recruit all. Would prefer a defense first HC, add an innovative OC. Look what Kirby Smart did at Ga. Their defense is awesome. And the offense is also great!

Look at Clemson DC, Ga DC, think he is mid 50’s. Lot of good mid 40’s HC, DC, OC to look at.

Good choice.

Brian Newberry at Navy could be another.

Think we need a HC that will recruit the SE. Get away from the MAC level recruits. SE is loaded with talent, SEC schools can’t recruit all. Would prefer a defense first HC, add an innovative OC. Look what Kirby Smart did at Ga. Their defense is awesome. And the offense is also great!

Look at Clemson DC, Ga DC, think he is mid 50’s. Lot of good mid 40’s HC, DC, OC to look at.
Georgia’s defense and offense are great because they are made up mostly of future NFL players. That wouldn’t be the case here.

Reactions: ImRonBurgandy?
Georgia’s defense and offense are great because they are made up mostly of future NFL players. That wouldn’t be the case here.
Yes, Ga has several NFL players in the last 2-3 yrs. Smart has upped the recruiting in that timeframe.

Recruit like Ga, win like Ga. Recruit like Purdue, win like Purdue.

Yes, Ga has several NFL players in the last 2-3 yrs. Smart has upped the recruiting in that timeframe.

Recruit like Ga, win like Ga. Recruit like Purdue, win like Purdue.
Yes. But if it was that simple everybody would be doing it.

IMO: Purdue should look for someone who has had success in an environment similar to Purdue. That's why I think Clawson from Wake Forrest and Campbell from Iowa State are worth consideration. I don't know if either sees Purdue as an attractive upgrade from where they are now.

ADVERTISEMENT