ADVERTISEMENT

Coach JB in Louisville recently

Hey, it is always a possibility. They still have a house here in Louisville.

I really see it more likely to happen, if it happens, when his son graduates from high school, since he goes to school up there. His daughter I believe goes to school at one of the catholic school down here I believe. I thought she was playing volleyball for that school here in Louisville. Could be wrong on that.

I thought all the Louisville fans disowned him after he turned them down. I know there were a few of them spewing garbage around here.

Yeah the following quote from JB isn't one you like to see as a Purdue fan (unless your TwinDegrees)

“But, obviously, now we’re on year six. I love this town, this area. I’m an alumnus of Louisville. So anything can happen in the future.”

You'd think though at some point Brian will be in line for a head coaching gig and perhaps that would be the Louisville job.

Reactions: Roeder
Yeah the following quote from JB isn't one you like to see as a Purdue fan (unless your TwinDegrees)

“But, obviously, now we’re on year six. I love this town, this area. I’m an alumnus of Louisville. So anything can happen in the future.”

You'd think though at some point Brian will be in line for a head coaching gig and perhaps that would be the Louisville job.
I have always thought Brohm would move on at some point, but to the NFL, not UL. He would be an upgrade over multiple current NFL HCs, IMO.

I'd be fine with giving Brian a shot if he leaves. You'd have continuity, and that means a ton in this era of roster turnover. He looked the part in the win over Iowa a few years ago.

Not a good look to have Brohm saying that though. Will definitely be used against Purdue in recruiting, especially If UL has another bad year.

These stories always make me nervous

https://www.wdrb.com/sports/bozich-...cial&utm_source=email&utm_campaign=user-share

Hope this link works - I am so non-tech-savvy…
The Purdue conglomerate’s (all parties involved) Stance on NIL seems to be “we are gonna be minor player, now what?? We will be fine.”

That’s a recipe for being completely slaughtered. What non alum coach does anyone expect to stick around for that

My impression of the pack thing was that he got offered 250-400k and we were like “wait, you want money?? Like up front? Come on dude? (Looks at other Purdue people). This guy is serious?”

so, we are probably 12 months away from finding out that not being all in on NIL is just a non starter.

So you want brohm to try to show that He’s a top coach as he loses some of his best players? I don’t expect that from him. I expect him, as a good coach, to join the buyers and not stay with the poached.

U of L is slimy enough to pay whatever it takes for players, like they have in the past. Why would Brohm stick around at Purdue if they're not going to do much with NIL?

Hey, it is always a possibility. They still have a house here in Louisville.

I really see it more likely to happen, if it happens, when his son graduates from high school, since he goes to school up there. His daughter I believe goes to school at one of the catholic school down here I believe. I thought she was playing volleyball for that school here in Louisville. Could be wrong on that.
Pretty sure you are correct on this. I think when she was with her dad at one of his post game press conferences last Fall, she was wearing her team jersey, or a sweatshirt from her school, and the topic was mentioned of her playing VB for the school. (One of the Catholic elementary schools in Louisville).

U of L is slimy enough to pay whatever it takes for players, like they have in the past. Why would Brohm stick around at Purdue if they're not going to do much with NIL?
I’m more worried about how you bring anyone else worth a shit in once it’s obvious that Purdue doesn’t have much NIL commitment. You’ll end up with coaches who are interested being those on their way down not up

Reactions: purduepat1969
But that reply is a microcosm of why we will fail. “Hey, we have extra credit ethics that nobody asked us to have!”
Hopefully the administration learned some things from 2008-2016 and will not abstain from another arms race until we hit rock bottom.

Honestly, I think Purdue is in about as good of a position as you could ask for here. A rising star coach and a coach-in-waiting that shares his playbook and coaching philosophy. I think, given the right circumstances and a good DC, Brian could ultimately be just as successful of a coach as Jeff. Thought he did a nice job calling the game against Iowa and he has a good demeanor. Probably the biggest issue would be the overlapping recruiting territory.

So are you saying that that means that being a poacher as opposed to a poachee will be bad?
No. Just saying that Texas and Tennessee sucked at cheating previously, maybe they will suck at NIL decisions too?

Purdue is going to have to get a plan and be competitive with most teams regarding NIL but just spending money on recruits does not mean success. I am really concerned about Purdue being a development program of talent for other teams with tons of NIL money to spend though. We develop the 3 and 4 star players and they transfer for NIL$ later.

Reactions: pboiler18
No. Just saying that Texas and Tennessee sucked at cheating previously, maybe they will suck at NIL decisions too?

Purdue is going to have to get a plan and be competitive with most teams regarding NIL but just spending money on recruits does not mean success. I am really concerned about Purdue being a development program of talent for other teams with tons of NIL money to spend though. We develop the 3 and 4 star players and they transfer for NIL$ later.
Your second paragraph is entirely where I’m coming from. Think of how long it took us to have a team with very few starters other teams can pick on. We never could have afforded to lose a Bernard pollard or Kelly butler after sinking 3 years into them.

to compound things, when we’ve been our best it’s usually not cause we are better toP to bottom than a lot of the teams we beat. We have that one or two player(s) who are special like a Brees or a bell or karlaftis. Can you imagine the late 90s boilers if there isn’t a drew Brees or last year if karlaftis and bell were gone and we just had their backups?

yeah some teams will spend and spend stupid but I think that will be mitigated because they’re going to be able to offer your best players who are already the kind of players who play winning football. It’s not like bribing a 5 star high school kid who might be a 1 star guy upstairs.

Texas can be great at SS and lament how they haven’t had smart players at FS for years .. and just go out and overpay for cam Allen. They can go for that big time playmaker along the lines of a Jordan Addison… but first, If they wanna spend enough, they can fill out a starting 22 of good proven football players

Can you imagine if we were buyers and could just afford players who are already proven as upper half of p5 starters at RG/RT, RB, DE, WLB and SS? All other things equal I’d be calling for 10-2 or better as something you could almost expect?

I don’t expect Purdue to be buyers. If they can just not be poachees then the boilers could thrive. That’s probably a 3-5 million dollar commitment team wide

Reactions: delarno
Like it or not the NIL is part of recruiting for now....If it's that extra something to sway a recruit either way, we may have dropped the ball

PURDUE HAS A NIL PLAN !!!! they just don't have any rich fans willing to give 20 athletes $500-,000 - - $1,000,000 each. Don't blame Purdue. they keep asking me for money, and i keep earmarking it for PMO and the cancer research center. Schools that are in big communities will find used car salesmen and real estate tycoons who think nothing of giving away millions and deducting it as a marketing business expense. George Steinbrenner did that all the time at USF. Engineers tend to be less generous and more frugal.

this is the biggest and most passionate Purdue fan base. has anybody here given any Purdue athlete $500,000 ? it's legal. you can admit it.

Reactions: pboiler18
Brohm made an interesting statement. he said at the time, it would not have been fair to the players he recruited to leave Purdue after being here for only two years. and then he said he's now been here 6 years as if he's getting the itch to leave for bigger things. and it's as if, he's saying i brought winning football back to Purdue, my job here is done.

i have to believe if the new coach at Louisville is not as successful as hoped, brohm will replace him, much like when lee rose left Purdue.

A couple of things:

Tuesday evening (I think this story came out on Wednesday) Brohm was at the Purdue -v- Butler baseball game. If you live in the area, you definitely see him out and engaged in the community. This may be apropos of nothing, but just an example of him being at activities that he doesn't have to be.

Second, what do people expect him to say? I get asked about my interest in positions all of the time. 95% of the time, I'm not really interested, but I will almost never say 'no' without hearing the other side out. Brohm dismissing his interest completely limits his ability to potentially negotiate future salary/compensation and steer his own destiny. Brohm does not seem like he's purely interested in cash, but why would one deliberately torpedo one of the major leverage items that they have? In his profession, you are compensated first for your performance and second to keep you from going elsewhere. Eliminate the second one and you've cut 50% of your negotiating power.

Third, I absolutely get the pull of friends and family back to the area that you're from. I can imagine that this is a pretty big deal for him. Think about it, you're a super highly compensated individual with a high visibility position. How hard would it be to establish close relationships (beyond the people you work with) in a new community where you have zero foundation? Obviously he still has a lot of friends and family in Louisville and surrounding area. Do you expect a guy to just turn this off? This will either get to a tipping point for him to leave, or it won't. There's not too much that we, Bobinski, or anyone else can do to solve this one. To think that he should just slam this door to make the people on forums like this feel more secure, well, that's just plain dumb thinking.

For those that think that he just shouldn't have voiced things the way he did, he's a pretty straight shooter and for those that complain about him being pretty cagey, I think he was just being honest. Could you imagine completely filtering every single thing that you say 24-7? You see the attempts in filtering in politics and where has that gotten us in that realm?

If he were to leave Purdue for another college program, Louisville is probably about the only one that would have the pull to grab him. If he leaves for Louisville, it will be for the intangibles that Purdue simply can't compete with (friends, family, alma mater). NFL may be another story, though.

A couple of things:

Tuesday evening (I think this story came out on Wednesday) Brohm was at the Purdue -v- Butler baseball game. If you live in the area, you definitely see him out and engaged in the community. This may be apropos of nothing, but just an example of him being at activities that he doesn't have to be.

Second, what do people expect him to say? I get asked about my interest in positions all of the time. 95% of the time, I'm not really interested, but I will almost never say 'no' without hearing the other side out. Brohm dismissing his interest completely limits his ability to potentially negotiate future salary/compensation and steer his own destiny. Brohm does not seem like he's purely interested in cash, but why would one deliberately torpedo one of the major leverage items that they have? In his profession, you are compensated first for your performance and second to keep you from going elsewhere. Eliminate the second one and you've cut 50% of your negotiating power.

Third, I absolutely get the pull of friends and family back to the area that you're from. I can imagine that this is a pretty big deal for him. Think about it, you're a super highly compensated individual with a high visibility position. How hard would it be to establish close relationships (beyond the people you work with) in a new community where you have zero foundation? Obviously he still has a lot of friends and family in Louisville and surrounding area. Do you expect a guy to just turn this off? This will either get to a tipping point for him to leave, or it won't. There's not too much that we, Bobinski, or anyone else can do to solve this one. To think that he should just slam this door to make the people on forums like this feel more secure, well, that's just plain dumb thinking.

For those that think that he just shouldn't have voiced things the way he did, he's a pretty straight shooter and for those that complain about him being pretty cagey, I think he was just being honest. Could you imagine completely filtering every single thing that you say 24-7? You see the attempts in filtering in politics and where has that gotten us in that realm?

If he were to leave Purdue for another college program, Louisville is probably about the only one that would have the pull to grab him. If he leaves for Louisville, it will be for the intangibles that Purdue simply can't compete with (friends, family, alma mater). NFL may be another story, though.
after alma mater you might add coach at a school that would do everything in their power to keep their star WR eligible to play his SR season.

after alma mater you might add coach at a school that would do everything in their power to keep their star WR eligible to play his SR season.

i’m sure Milton Wright got all the assistance Purdue could offer. And if we’re talking about keeping a player eligible that shouldn’t be who do you want to become North Carolina Indiana for the SEC

All the changes happening right now within the landscape of college football and basketball work against Purdue while benefiting schools like Louisville. He's someone that wants to win at the highest level so I can't even blame him for leaving if it opens up.

All the changes happening right now within the landscape of college football and basketball work against Purdue while benefiting schools like Louisville. He's someone that wants to win at the highest level so I can't even blame him for leaving if it opens up.
This is bullshit. Starting in 2023, Purdue will make ~$40M/year more in TV money than Louisville.

The Louisville AD is a $hit$show right now. They just turned over both the AD and President. They are in the hole financially.

Reactions: purduepat1969
This is bullshit. Starting in 2023, Purdue will make ~$40M/year more in TV money than Louisville.

The Louisville AD is a $hit$show right now. They just turned over both the AD and President. They are in the hole financially.
Although I agree with you in a sense, it appears U of L has more slimy boosters than Purdue ever will. The TV contract doesn't matter where players and NIL are concerned.

Reactions: johnboiler123
The tv money we have coming in is already spent?? For how long man!?
THe money we get every year is budgeted out and spent before it gets in the door.

As soon as the new contract hits, that will all be spent too.

THe money we get every year is budgeted out and spent before it gets in the door.

As soon as the new contract hits, that will all be spent too.
This is not entirely true. Prior to the contagion, Bobinski had a reserve fund for the AD. I don’t know where he is with that exactly now.

ADVERTISEMENT