ADVERTISEMENT

CMP Salary Increases? Should Be a Final 4 Bonus...

Oh wow, if it’s that easy, why doesn’t every school do it??? Who would have thought the solution was so simple?
Why do you consistently say stupid sh$t like this? There are a handful of great coaches that have turned their schools into great programs. No, it isn't easy. Yes, it's the difference between Painter and someone like Mark Few. But Few did it without cheating, with lesser facilities, and less program money. So while you continue to want to include Painter in the upper echelon, he really hasn't done anything comparable to a guy like Few. And he's really done nothing more than his predecessor at the same school...

Reactions: Purdue_BS_90
Why do you consistently say stupid sh$t like this? There are a handful of great coaches that have turned their schools into great programs. No, it isn't easy. Yes, it's the difference between Painter and someone like Mark Few. But Few did it without cheating, with lesser facilities, and less program money. So while you continue to want to include Painter in the upper echelon, he really hasn't done anything comparable to a guy like Few. And he's really done nothing more than his predecessor at the same school...
So Patty, if you are Bobinski and your job depends on whether or not you have a successful basketball and football program, are you making firing Painter and risking it all with the next coach?

So Patty, if you are Bobinski and your job depends on whether or not you have a successful basketball and football program, are you making firing Painter and risking it all with the next coach?
Why do you continue to ask about firing Painter. I've already said I don't want him fired. But what I don't understand is why you continue to elevate him to the upper echelon of current coaches when his resume shows he doesn't belong there. Then you continue to deflect when anyone challenges you on it. It's just moronic...

Why do you continue to ask about firing Painter. I've already said I don't want him fired. But what I don't understand is why you continue to elevate him to the upper echelon of current coaches when his resume shows he doesn't belong there. Then you continue to deflect when anyone challenges you on it. It's just moronic...
I will once again ask you to name the coaches that are currently coaching that you would rather have than Painter. You have so far been too big of a bitch to answer.

Yes I’ve been to Vegas, and yes I gamble. I would not gamble if my job depended on it.

Can you honestly say that if you were Mbob and your job depended on it that you would gamble replacing Painter with an unknown coach (and let’s not pretend like a known coach with a better resume than Painter would come here).

IU has better resources and has clearly made a huge investment into their basketball program… look where it’s got them.

Not what I said. Where did I say we should hire an unknown coach?
What I said was, hire someone not affiliated with Purdue or from the Painter tree.
According to you, no coach would be better than Painter, so what difference does it make?

Reactions: BSIT
11 pages! Have we now exhausted this repetative topic? Every year we go through this same wash-rinse-repeat cycle.

Let's simply this whole deal:

1. Painter is not going anywhere

2. He is one rebound/free throw away from a FF, and this board is one rebond/free throw away from "Painter can make the FF, but he can't win the NC".

3. Each year we field a competative, exciting team that is really fun to watch

4. Are there better coaches out there than Painter? Maybe/maybe not. We will not know until Matt retires.

Can we now put this mess away until next year? We have way too many fun things happening around the BIG to dwell any further on this.

:cool:

get us the name of the person who forced you to read and respond to a discussion that clearly bothers you. We should prosecute them.

Last edited:
Real Estate investing.

No, I don’t believe Drew or Izzo would improve recruiting.

LOL. Both would absolutely do better in recruiting.

By the lack of chance taking and the lack understanding about location when it comes to real estate you must totally suck at at. HC success is not location based unlike real estate investing. LOL...

Reactions: BSIT and bonefish1

By the lack of chance taking and the lack understanding about location when it comes to real estate you must totally suck at at. HC success is not location based unlike real estate investing. LOL...
People complaining about Purdue’s geographic location as a hindrance to recruiting crack me up.
On the list of priorities for a recruit, location is about #34. (, it’s very insignificant)

And, so did Gonzaga...and Butler...and MSU...and Villanova...and, MANY other schools that have yet somehow found a way to achieve it by way of a truly ELITE HC.
Butler??? They found it for a 3 year stretch.

Agree on the first point...although, I still believe he is closer to being done that many/most believe or want to think.

Easy to say that on the second point, but, he was a miracle call and 3 FTs made by Carsen from bowing out yet again in the Sweet 16 (and, it is his only Sweet 16 win).

Won't agree on the 3rd point...would agree if you had said "most" years rather than "each" year, and, let's check back in March and see where things stand with this team.

What are the other "fun things" that we are missing out on?
NO, Carsen only made 2of 3 FTs,if he had made all 3 ,would have won in regulation

Reactions: indyogb and DAG10
NO, Carsen only made 2of 3 FTs,if he had made all 3 ,would have won in regulation

Putting aside the end of regulation of the Regional Final with Virginia (and admittedly, that is nearly impossible), the game with Tennessee was even crazier. Initially, I thought Purdue caught a break with that foul, but having gone back and looked at that game several times - I think it was the right call. Making two of three (after missing the first) was inevitable I suppose so that game could continue.

And yes, Carsen Edwards had a historic run in that tournament - just some unbelievable performances, but without Ryan Cline's just insane shooting in the second half, Purdue bows out earlier. Once Purdue lost the lead (after being up 18 at one point), it didn't look good for the Boilers. Not so fast. My younger sister was texting me during the game - "WHO is this Cline guy???" This is unbelievable!" "Crazy."

I also think whichever team came out of that Regional had a good chance to take the title - Tennessee and Purdue definitely had a good shot and the right team chemistry....credit Virginia for doing what it takes - some forget they also had to escape against Auburn in the National Semi-Final game - down four very late. Sometimes, it's your year.

Pardon me now......I need to get back to my Boilerepherine recovery regimen.

Getting the late Pete Dye involved to re-design the Kampen course was a very good move, IMO.....naturally, it won't have the revenue-generating potential of the flagship sports of football and basketball.

In current Boiler golf news.....Adam Schenk made the cut @ the FedEx St. Jude Championship in Memphis (the first playoff event). He'll need a big finish to move up in the standings and qualify for the next event (top 70 move on). On a side note, maybe he needs to rethink the surname, which phonetically is not great for a professional golfer. :)

Not what I said. Where did I say we should hire an unknown coach?
What I said was, hire someone not affiliated with Purdue or from the Painter tree.
According to you, no coach would be better than Painter, so what difference does it make?
No one with a better resume than Painter is coming here. End of story.

• Haha

Good to know I suck at Real Estate investing. I honestly didn’t know that until you just let me know. Thanks for the heads up.

No one with a better resume than Painter is coming here. End of story.
You sound so confident, are you part of the Athletic Dept and have insider information or are you just so blindly loyal to Painter that the thought of another person coaching Purdue ties you up in knots?
So, no, it's not the end of the story.
Painter will be replaced someday, possibly sooner rather than later. And when the AD goes on his replacement coaching search, the entire goal will be to find someone better than Painter.
That, my young friend, is the end of the story.

IU has the talent. Purdue has the coaching. Will be interesting to watch.
Why does iu get better talent?
Coach?
Location?
Money?
Purdue has arguably been the better program for 10+ years, is 9-1 head/head in the last 5. Why has Purdue not surpassed iu?

You sound so confident, are you part of the Athletic Dept and have insider information or are you just so blindly loyal to Painter that the thought of another person coaching Purdue ties you up in knots?
So, no, it's not the end of the story.
Painter will be replaced someday, possibly sooner rather than later. And when the AD goes on his replacement coaching search, the entire goal will be to find someone better than Painter.
That, my young friend, is the end of the story.
I can look at the recent hirings of jobs that are widely perceived as better jobs than Purdue to know we won’t hire someone with a better resume than Painter. Could the next coach ultimately end up being better than Painter? Yes, they absolutely could. Small chance though.

I will ask you again, if your job depended on the basketball program being successful (hint: it currently has been successful), would you replace the coach in hopes of joining the elite of the game?

Why does iu get better talent?
Coach?
Location?
Money?
Purdue has arguably been the better program for 10+ years, is 9-1 head/head in the last 5. Why has Purdue not surpassed iu?
IU recruits itself with their championship tradition. Every single coach that’s been there after Knight has recruited at a high level. They are also a basketball school where the entire fanbase focus is on the basketball team.

As you’ve pointed out, Purdue has been the better team during the last decade or so. Pretty much proves that having a great coach is better than just having pure talent.

I can look at the recent hirings of jobs that are widely perceived as better jobs than Purdue to know we won’t hire someone with a better resume than Painter. Could the next coach ultimately end up being better than Painter? Yes, they absolutely could. Small chance though.

I will ask you again, if your job depended on the basketball program being successful (hint: it currently has been successful), would you replace the coach in hopes of joining the elite of the game?
Painter will be replaced, one way or another whether you like it or not. He could end up like Keady where they waited too long to replace him and then it became a rebuilding project. Or, Painter can stay as long as he likes and after 20+ years, decides he's had enough and can retire comfortably. At which point, he'll have to be replaced anyways. That could happen in the next 3-5 years.
So, if my job depended on it, I think it would be my responsibility to find the most proven candidate, with the best resume, and offer market value compensation for that track record of success (which will be higher than what Painter is currently making).
Who will that be? I don't know. Haven't spoken to anyone and don't know the budget yet.
Maybe is someone who says "Hey, I can do something with a recruiting base of Chicago, Indy, Cinci, Lvill and Detroit, a great fan base, as well as one of the best home court environments in the country"

IU recruits itself with their championship tradition. Every single coach that’s been there after Knight has recruited at a high level. They are also a basketball school where the entire fanbase focus is on the basketball team.

As you’ve pointed out, Purdue has been the better team during the last decade or so. Pretty much proves that having a great coach is better than just having pure talent.
No player was alive the last time iu went to the FF. Their last championship was in the 80s. Those banners have gotten pretty dusty.
I think iu has recruited better because Painter just isn't that great of a recruiter.

Painter will be replaced, one way or another whether you like it or not. He could end up like Keady where they waited too long to replace him and then it became a rebuilding project. Or, Painter can stay as long as he likes and after 20+ years, decides he's had enough and can retire comfortably. At which point, he'll have to be replaced anyways. That could happen in the next 3-5 years.
So, if my job depended on it, I think it would be my responsibility to find the most proven candidate, with the best resume, and offer market value compensation for that track record of success (which will be higher than what Painter is currently making).
Who will that be? I don't know. Haven't spoken to anyone and don't know the budget yet.
Maybe is someone who says "Hey, I can do something with a recruiting base of Chicago, Indy, Cinci, Lvill and Detroit, a great fan base, as well as one of the best home court environments in the country"
But you want to replace Painter now? You’ve said so I’m this thread.

No player was alive the last time iu went to the FF. Their last championship was in the 80s. Those banners have gotten pretty dusty.
I think iu has recruited better because Painter just isn't that great of a recruiter.
IU has been crap for the last two decades and still get top talent even though they’ve had 5 different coaches during that time. None of those guys outside of Sampson have had recruiting success at their other stops. Their recruits often mention their championship history after they commit there as one of the reasons for the commitment.

It’s not like IU has just been getting better recruits than Painter. They have consistently been at or near the top of the Big Ten in recruiting even with poor results.

Would you argue that Bo Ryan and Greg Gard are bad recruiters?

But you want to replace Painter now? You’ve said so I’m this thread.
I think I said something to the effect of if Painter were to leave, i wouldn't lose much sleep over it. Then you asked, who I'd replace him with. I gave a legit name with proven success and Indiana ties (Scott Drew) and you said that would never happen.

IU has been crap for the last two decades and still get top talent even though they’ve had 5 different coaches during that time. None of those guys outside of Sampson have had recruiting success at their other stops. Their recruits often mention their championship history after they commit there as one of the reasons for the commitment.

It’s not like IU has just been getting better recruits than Painter. They have consistently been at or near the top of the Big Ten in recruiting even with poor results.

Would you argue that Bo Ryan and Greg Gard are bad recruiters?
I don't think Ryan or Gard are great recruiters, they're very good coaches though. Ryan was certainly a better coach than Painter.

• Love
I think I said something to the effect of if Painter were to leave, i wouldn't lose much sleep over it. Then you asked, who I'd replace him with. I gave a legit name with proven success and Indiana ties (Scott Drew) and you said that would never happen.
You’ve also previously said you would trade CMP for Shaka Smart.

In his first 17 years at Baylor, Drew had never won a conference championship. He had been to the Elite 8 twice and Sweet 16 4 times. Compare that to Painter winning the Big 10 3 times, been to the Elite 8 once, snd Sweet 16 6 times in his 17 years at Purdue.

Outside of the similar resumes during the same timeframes at the current school, Scott Drew is not a realistic option to replace Painter. There really is no argument that can be made that would suggest Drew would leave Baylor for Purdue.

You’ve also previously said you would trade CMP for Shaka Smart.

In his first 17 years at Baylor, Drew had never won a conference championship. He had been to the Elite 8 twice and Sweet 16 4 times. Compare that to Painter winning the Big 10 3 times, been to the Elite 8 once, snd Sweet 16 6 times in his 17 years at Purdue.

Outside of the similar resumes during the same timeframes at the current school, Scott Drew is not a realistic option to replace Painter. There really is no argument that can be made that would suggest Drew would leave Baylor for Purdue.
Oh yeh, don't forget that Drew won a national championship at Baylor.. Just a minor oversight on your part. So, I would say his resume is significantly better than Painters.

Unless you're Scott Drew or his agent, you have zero idea whether he'd be interested in the Purdue job. None, zilch, nada. I know you think you do, but you don't.

Oh yeh, don't forget that Drew won a national championship at Baylor.. Just a minor oversight on your part. So, I would say his resume is significantly better than Painters.

Unless you're Scott Drew or his agent, you have zero idea whether he'd be interested in the Purdue job. None, zilch, nada. I know you think you do, but you don't.
How was that oversight? I said through their first 17 years at their respective schools. Drew did not have a national championship in his first 17 years.

Well then we might as well throw Bill Self, Tony Bennett, Steve Kerr, John Calipari, and Brad Stevens into the mix for our next potential head coaches. Unless you are those coaches or their agents, you have no way of saying they wouldn’t come here.

How was that oversight? I said through their first 17 years at their respective schools. Drew did not have a national championship in his first 17 years.

Well then we might as well throw Bill Self, Tony Bennett, Steve Kerr, John Calipari, and Brad Stevens into the mix for our next potential head coaches. Unless you are those coaches or their agents, you have no way of saying they wouldn’t come here.
Bill Self probably wouldn't leave Kansas to go anywhere, not even Duke or UNC.
Tony Bennett, not out of the realm of possibilities. He'd be a great get. Currently in the $3.5m range
Kerr? What's his IN ties?
Calipari? I'd take him in a second.
Stevens: Throw a phone call out there, see if there's any interest in getting back into the college game. He supposedly turned down iu with a blank check but maybe he didn't want that circus.

Drew makes $3.5M at Baylor. Do you think he'd be willing to listen to Purdue is the number were $4.5M?

Tony Bennett, not out of the realm of possibilities. He'd be a great get. Currently in the $3.5m range
Stevens: Throw a phone call out there, see if there's any interest in getting back into the college game. He supposedly turned down iu with a blank check but maybe he didn't want that circus.

Drew makes $3.5M at Baylor. Do you think he'd be willing to listen to Purdue is the number were $4.5M?
Did you copy and paste this from a Peegs post circa 2006, 2008, 2017 or 2021?

None of those coaches are realistic hires. Did you not pay attention when I listed the recent hires by schools that are perceived as better jobs than ours? Their fans all thought the same way you do that you can just get whoever to come there if you spend enough... wrong.

Michigan - NBA Assistant with no head coach experience
IU - NBA Assistant with no college head coach experience
UNC - College Assistant with no head coach experience
Duke - College Assistant with no head coach experience
Louisville - College/NBA Assistant with no head coach experience
Villanova - Mid Major coach with ONE year of head coaching experience
Arizona - College Assistant with no head coaching experience
Texas Tech - College Assistant with no college head coaching experience
Maryland - Big East head coach with 15 years of experience and never been to the Sweet 16
UCLA - Mid Major that had been to ONE Sweet 16 in 16 years of coaching

Texas - The ONLY program to hire a coach with an elite resume.

Now, do you think Purdue is more in line with Texas or the other 10 schools I mentioned?

I read posts that say IU has better recruits and more talented players. I'm not convinced. They certainly make a bigger deal out of each recruit they get, primarily focussing on the number of stars, or the ranking from high school.

Speaking of Lander, how did that workout? Wasn't there another five star recruit that was going to terrify the BIG that wound up a very pedestrian college player? Romeo something IIRC.

Reactions: purduepat1969
I read posts that say IU has better recruits and more talented players. I'm not convinced. They certainly make a bigger deal out of each recruit they get, primarily focussing on the number of stars, or the ranking from high school.

Speaking of Lander, how did that workout? Wasn't there another five star recruit that was going to terrify the BIG that wound up a very pedestrian college player? Romeo something IIRC.

It's pretty hard to say Purdue has more talent than IU in a given year. I agree that Hair Boy was overrated from the start, but Romeo actually had a very good freshman year at IU. Their team was trash, but he played pretty well.

Reactions: mathboy
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT