ADVERTISEMENT

CMP Salary Increases? Should Be a Final 4 Bonus...

Then why hasn't he been recruiting at a top 10 to 15 clip? Painters a good coach, maybe top 25. But he simply hasn't had the success of a top 10 or 15 coach. I don't think anyone outside of Purdue fans would rank him in the top 15 coaches in the nation...

Because Purdue isn’t a destination school? Brad Underwood recruits at a higher level than Painter and isn’t close to as successful.

I was kidding. There is no need to cut any sports or cut any coaching salaries.
Maybe I am wrong, but, isn't NIL going to be subject to Title IX potentially? At what point does a women's basketball player or program note that the men's program is paying men's players for the same thing(s)?

If it were not under the NCAA umbrella, I could see it not being an issue, but, in that it is...would it not be a potential issue?

Maybe I am wrong, but, isn't NIL going to be subject to Title IX potentially? At what point does a women's basketball player or program note that the men's program is paying men's players for the same thing(s)?

If it were not under the NCAA umbrella, I could see it not being an issue, but, in that it is...would it not be a potential issue?
The mens program is not paying players. The players are being paid their market value by outside boosters. The women have the same opportunities to negotiate NIL deals. They won’t be worth anything, but they have the same opportunities.

Reactions: johnboiler123
Reactions: purduepat1969
I know you will say they cheat but some just know how to play the game better. I see CMP having the same potential as Tony Bennett (runs clean program) and is successful when all the pieces fall into place. Unfortunately CMP hit the self destruct button when the pieces were falling into place all too often.
There is absolutely zero way a person can legitimately argue that Brad Underwood is a better coach than Matt Painter. The article says the knock on Matt Painter is his lack of final 4, but has Underwood ahead of Painter and Underwood has never even been to the Sweet 16!!!

• Wow
Reactions: TX4GB and Statey
There is absolutely zero way a person can legitimately argue that Brad Underwood is a better coach than Matt Painter. The article says the knock on Matt Painter is his lack of final 4, but has Underwood ahead of Painter and Underwood has never even been to the Sweet 16!!!
I don't believe Underwood is better than CMP but you asked for 10. With the exception of Duke's new coach at 10, you cant argue with this list. Replace him with next up Huggins and those are at least 10 better

Reactions: purduepat1969
The mens program is not paying players. The players are being paid their market value by outside boosters. The women have the same opportunities to negotiate NIL deals. They won’t be worth anything, but they have the same opportunities.
If the Men's program is a part of players being paid, then the Women's program has to have the same opportunities or arrangements...I guess the amount involved cannot be legislated, just the same opportunities (i.e., a jersey with a player's number for sale on the men's side would necessitate the same opportunity for a women's player...if a male player appears in an ad in a Purdue jersey/uniform, the same opportunity would have to exist for a female player). Like say, in thinking more about it, they would just need to have the same opportunity, not the same compensation (which is an entirely separate issue).

I'm far from an expert, but don't see how the NIL deals would be in any way regulated under Title IX. I think Title IX only applies to entities that pull down federal money. NIL funds are coming through a separate entity (BAC) that gets all of its money via donations from general public. That said, this is probably all the more reason that Purdue needs to be careful not to actually try to orchestrate some kind of "redirected funds" move that could later be made out to be an intentional skirting of Title IX rules that it is subject to.

Here we go. Painter takes the $450k bonus and drops it into the NIL donation jar. That works. Then he can get the next money-loving point guard to pop out of that mysterious transfer thingy. :cool:
Correction: Painter takes $450k and drops $275k into the NIL jar. Don't forget about your friend Uncle Sam.

Reactions: mathboy and DAG10
Because Purdue isn’t a destination school? Brad Underwood recruits at a higher level than Painter and isn’t close to as successful.
How is Illinois a "destination school"? How is Gonzaga a "destination school"? How is Villanova a "destination school"? Give me a break...

Reactions: BSIT
Speaking of Title IX and NIL, I am surprised there aren't more female college athletes pursuing onlyfans side hustle.
In yet another "small world" development...while I don't follow it closely, I do know that the Cavinder Twins cashed in with NIL, and, cashed in big...growing up, I played Little League baseball and was a good friend with their Dad (and, did not realize until they had cashed in that it was indeed their Dad).

How is Illinois a "destination school"? How is Gonzaga a "destination school"? How is Villanova a "destination school"? Give me a break...
Illinois isn’t a destination school, and they don’t even really recruit at a high level.

Villanova was a destination school when Wright was there, because he turned them into a championship contender every single year. Same with Mark Few and Gonzaga.

Reactions: indyogb
I don't believe Underwood is better than CMP but you asked for 10. With the exception of Duke's new coach at 10, you cant argue with this list. Replace him with next up Huggins and those are at least 10 better
And I said Painter was a top 10-15 coach. Lines up perfectly with what I said.

• Haha
If the Men's program is a part of players being paid, then the Women's program has to have the same opportunities or arrangements...I guess the amount involved cannot be legislated, just the same opportunities (i.e., a jersey with a player's number for sale on the men's side would necessitate the same opportunity for a women's player...if a male player appears in an ad in a Purdue jersey/uniform, the same opportunity would have to exist for a female player). Like say, in thinking more about it, they would just need to have the same opportunity, not the same compensation (which is an entirely separate issue).
That’s my point. The women do have the same opportunity to make NIL deals. There just isn’t the same level of interest from boosters. Title 9 can’t force boosters to want to donate to women’s sports.

I'm far from an expert, but don't see how the NIL deals would be in any way regulated under Title IX. I think Title IX only applies to entities that pull down federal money. NIL funds are coming through a separate entity (BAC) that gets all of its money via donations from general public. That said, this is probably all the more reason that Purdue needs to be careful not to actually try to orchestrate some kind of "redirected funds" move that could later be made out to be an intentional skirting of Title IX rules that it is subject to.
It is not the deals themselves, but, access to them and knowledge of them.

After my initial post last night, I did a quick search online and found an article on the matter.

"If no involvement by the institution, no Title IX issues.

If institution arranges deals, Title IX applies and requires male and female athletes to be treated equitably. 

If institution approves deals, must have equal standards for male and female athletes.

Boosters/local businesses using deals as a recruiting inducement. If school is aware, Title IX may apply."

Another article on the matter: https://www.sportico.com/law/analysis/2021/college-sports-nil-title-ix-1234645328/

Illinois isn’t a destination school, and they don’t even really recruit at a high level.

Villanova was a destination school when Wright was there, because he turned them into a championship contender every single year. Same with Mark Few and Gonzaga.
So if Villanova and Gonzaga can be turned into a "destination school" by their coaches, why hasn't Painter done it? I'm just saying that you want to include him on a list of top 10 coaches. But those other coaches have turned their programs into what you're describing. Painter is there yet. So let's not call him a top 10 coach...

• Love
So if Villanova and Gonzaga can be turned into a "destination school" by their coaches, why hasn't Painter done it? I'm just saying that you want to include him on a list of top 10 coaches. But those other coaches have turned their programs into what you're describing. Painter is there yet. So let's not call him a top 10 coach...
Why haven’t countless other schools turned their schools into destination schools? Turns out, it’s not an easy thing to do.

I said he was top 10-15, and I stand by that.

• Haha
Purdue Athletic Department is small time. Fields the bare minimum of teams to qualify as D1. We are as all into Football and basketball as we can get.
Morgan Burke Acquatic Center has attracted Olympic caliber divers. The Loeb Stadium for baseball looks nice. The Golf Complex has good reviews. Maybe good we have these in place now in this environment. More $ towards Bball and Football going forward.

Why haven’t countless other schools turned their schools into destination schools? Turns out, it’s not an easy thing to do.

I said he was top 10-15, and I stand by that.
Your logic doesn't make a whole lot of sense. You're saying he's a top 10 to 15 coach. It's pretty clear that the top 10 to 15 coaches have turned their programs into "destination schools". So how can he then be a top 10 to 15 coach?

Recruiting is a major part of being a top coach. I just don't understand how you get there if you're looking at this objectively...

Your logic doesn't make a whole lot of sense. You're saying he's a top 10 to 15 coach. It's pretty clear that the top 10 to 15 coaches have turned their programs into "destination schools". So how can he then be a top 10 to 15 coach?

Recruiting is a major part of being a top coach. I just don't understand how you get there if you're looking at this objectively...
Many of the top 15 coaches went to their respective schools after they were destination schools.

Results are what matter. If recruiting were all that mattered than IU and many other schools would have dominated us every year for the last several decades.

He is implying that guys like Few and Wright are top 5 coaches because they turned their schools into destinations, which puts Painter just outside that group but within top 15.

Reactions: boilerball2021
Many of the top 15 coaches went to their respective schools after they were destination schools.

Results are what matter. If recruiting were all that mattered than IU and many other schools would have dominated us every year for the last several decades.
So again, what results and recruiting combination does Painter have that puts him in the top 10? I don't see it.

Reactions: Boiler8285 and BSIT
So again, what results and recruiting combination does Painter have that puts him in the top 10? I don't see it.
How many times do I have to say top 10-15 before you will stop changing it to “inside the top 10”?

Name the 15 coaches you would rather have.

1. We aren’t the flagship school in our state.
2. We don’t have the championship tradition the schools around us do.
3. Other schools have better facilities.
4. We haven’t proven to be very good with providing NIL to players (this will jump to the top of most recruitments moving forward).

1. Yes we are. You dumba$$ IU fan. You and "mathboy" would make good couple.
2. I would place that directly on Painter/Keady and the PU admin.
3. No they done. You don't know sh!t if you think that.
4. I blame this on Purdue as a whole.

I'm sticking to what I've said. This should have been a final 4 bonus. Make CMP work a little harder.

1. Yes we are. You dumba$$ IU fan. You and "mathboy" would make good couple.
2. I would place that directly on Painter/Keady and the PU admin.
3. No they done. You don't know sh!t if you think that.
4. I blame this on Purdue as a whole.

I'm sticking to what I've said. This should have been a final 4 bonus. Make CMP work a little harder.
1. You would have to have black and gold colored glasses on to think we are the most popular program in our state. The most popular football program is easily Notre Dame, and the most popular basketball program is easily IU.

2. That’s a pretty dumb argument, but okay.

3. Our facilities are not as good as the big schools around us. It’s really not debatable, but feel free to try to defend your position.

4. How much have you personally donated to NIL?

How many times do I have to say top 10-15 before you will stop changing it to “inside the top 10”?

Name the 15 coaches you would rather have.
So what is it? Top 10? Or top 15? You're the one saying top 10, not me.

I don't want another coach for Purdue. I want Painter to up his game. But I'm not enough of a homer to believe he's in the top 10 or top 15. He's probably somewhere between 15 and 25, which is where Purdue would rank as a program.

Better active coaches than Painter in no particular order:
  • Izzo
  • Beard
  • Few
  • Pitino (scummy, but better)
  • Pearl (even more scummy, but better)
  • Self (add to scummy)
  • Cronin
  • Bennett
  • Sampson (again, scummy but a good coach)
  • Drew
  • Calipari
  • Huggins
  • Hamilton
  • Matta
  • Obviously Coach K, Wright, and Williams would have been on that list as well.

So what is it? Top 10? Or top 15? You're the one saying top 10, not me.

I don't want another coach for Purdue. I want Painter to up his game. But I'm not enough of a homer to believe he's in the top 10 or top 15. He's probably somewhere between 15 and 25, which is where Purdue would rank as a program.

Better active coaches than Painter in no particular order:
  • Izzo
  • Beard
  • Few
  • Pitino (scummy, but better)
  • Pearl (even more scummy, but better)
  • Self (add to scummy)
  • Cronin
  • Bennett
  • Sampson (again, scummy but a good coach)
  • Drew
  • Calipari
  • Huggins
  • Hamilton
  • Matta
  • Obviously Coach K, Wright, and Williams would have been on that list as well.
All of this arguing and you guys basically agree he's the ~15th best coach. lol

ADVERTISEMENT