ADVERTISEMENT

CMP Salary Increases? Should Be a Final 4 Bonus...

So where do you fall?

I fall in the category that realizes how close Painter has been to getting to the promised land, and would not gamble on a new coach being better.
I’m generally in the middle camp that is mostly happy with Painter and understands that as long as Mackey is full and we’re making NCAA appearances, they are probably going to keep him around. I am more interested in discussions on specific topics than the whole Ainter vs. Sainter war. I will support him as long as he is Purdue’s coach, but he get gets a golf clap from me at introductions. I will defend him if he’s getting shit on and temper enthusiasm when people say Duke is going to hire him away.

Last edited:
Calipari had nowhere close to the quality depth Purdue had. Goodness gracious. So it's OK to lose to St Petes because UK did?

And once again, it was all Ivey's fault. You're insufferable with your excuses for Painters game planning. Blaming the players for f'ing up a horrific game plan is pathetic.. There's a lot of blame that can go Painters way for what happened in the past 2 tournaments.

You're just having trouble with any criticism that comes his way. Everytime someone criticizes, the first thing you come back with is who that person could find that's better than Painter...
Are you kidding? UK’s roster was way better than ours. The only place we had depth was at the 5.

You say I can’t blame Ivey, yet you’ve been blaming Edey’s passing and ball security.

You act like I don’t question anything Painter does. I absolutely do. I was very vocal that Newman should have been playing significant minutes last year. I’ve very much questioned the Braden Smith recruitment and still think we have a major issue at PG that Painter didn’t address. I can go on if you would like.

You can’t say he should have won 6. That’s ridiculous. You could make the same argument for a number of other teams through the years.

How are Scheyer or Davis more known than Painter was? Prior to coming to Purdue as coach in waiting, Painter had a conference championship at Southern Illinois. That’s more success than Scheyer or Davis could show. Neither had any head coaching experience.
Without looking, what team won the Missouri Valley conference last season and who is their coach?

Are you kidding? UK’s roster was way better than ours. The only place we had depth was at the 5.

You say I can’t blame Ivey, yet you’ve been blaming Edey’s passing and ball security.

You act like I don’t question anything Painter does. I absolutely do. I was very vocal that Newman should have been playing significant minutes last year. I’ve very much questioned the Braden Smith recruitment and still think we have a major issue at PG that Painter didn’t address. I can go on if you would like.
UK had two guys coming off the bench playing significant minutes last season. They had no depth. You must be seeing a completely different roster than I am. We had depth all over the floor. We had 10 guys getting 15 minutes or more a game. WTF are you talking about?

On the second point, I wasn't blaming Edey's passing and ball security. That was a known commodity all of last year. My blame was on Painter putting Edey into the position where he had to deal with double and triple teams all game when he knew it was coming.

As far as you questioning Painter, you could have fooled me based on the consistent responses you've given on this thread.

Without looking, tell me what other college Hubert Davis has been an assistant at.
I'm suee most UNC fans can answer that just like we knew about Painter at SIU only bc he played here.
You asked how Scheyer and Davis were more known. They were definitely as known to their fans and probably more known nationally due to more exposure as players. If your point is "random school x would probably not have hired them just based on coaching resume" then I agree.

I believe that was explained in the article right? IU is the main flagship university in the state, so they have that advantage over Purdue for recruits in the same territory. So even though they are the same territory, IU has the advantage for landing the recruits in that recruiting territory.
No, recruiting base was a criteria for how you were located relative to good players. It had nothing to do with the ability to land them. That was under the other criteria's listed. Here is what it said:
  • Geographical Recruiting Base – Proximity to players
Like I said, I think some of the coaches didn't understand the question. IU and PU should have the same ranking in that category. #4 and #10 didn't make sense. Nebraska would be very low because there aren't very many good players close to them year after year.

I just thought that ranking stood out among all the others. Not a big deal as it was done in 2018 anyway.

It’s because the top 5 in that article have national recruiting pipelines. It’s not just their state recruiting grounds. Like Hummel has said multiple times on his podcast “Purdue usually gets the leftovers and scraps in recruiting.”

It’s because the top 5 in that article have national recruiting pipelines. It’s not just their state recruiting grounds. Like Hummel has said multiple times on his podcast “Purdue usually gets the leftovers and scraps in recruiting.”
You have a link to Rob saying that ?

Here is a somewhat recent list of top paid college coaches (made at end of last season). It lists the top 37, which is presumably a cutoff point given that 3 coaches were tied at 37 for $3M/yr. This of course doesn't have the recent pay adjustment of Painter, nor other adjustments after its publication. Painter was at 28, and his raise would put him top 20 if nothing else changed.

Curious to thoughts on these questions:

1. Assuming Purdue's budget could expand to as high as $4M, who are the coaches on this list at $4M or less you would at least consider trading Painter for?

2. What schools on this list do you think would trade coaches with Purdue and hire Painter today? Let's limit to those in top 25, given that a school would have to have the ability/desire to match pay.

3. Of those in #2, which could reasonably be argued are better jobs than - or at least equal to - Purdue?

USA Today

Last edited:
You have the internet, do your own search. I will help you as I heard him tell Jeff Goodman this in their podcast. It was a short clip on Twitter last fall.

Here is a somewhat recent list of top paid college (made at end of last season). It lists the top 37, which is presumably a cutoff point given that 3 coaches were tied at 37 for $3M/yr. This of course doesn't have the recent pay adjustment of Painter, nor other adjustments after its publication. Painter was at 28, and his raise would put him top 20 if nothing else changed.

Curious to thoughts on these questions:

1. Assuming Purdue's budget could expand to as high as $4M, who are the coaches on this list at $4M or less you would at least consider trading Painter for?

2. What schools on this list do you think would trade coaches with Purdue and hire Painter today? Let's limit to those in top 25, given that a school would have to have the ability/desire to match pay.

3. Of those in #2, which could reasonably be argued are better jobs than - or at least equal to - Purdue?

USA Today
1. Drew
2. Several probably. Tenn, TCu, A&M, Arkansas, Pitt, Nebraska, MD.
3. MD, Pitt maybe equal

UK had two guys coming off the bench playing significant minutes last season. They had no depth. You must be seeing a completely different roster than I am. We had depth all over the floor. We had 10 guys getting 15 minutes or more a game. WTF are you talking about?

On the second point, I wasn't blaming Edey's passing and ball security. That was a known commodity all of last year. My blame was on Painter putting Edey into the position where he had to deal with double and triple teams all game when he knew it was coming.

As far as you questioning Painter, you could have fooled me based on the consistent responses you've given on this thread.
IT, Newman, and Furst didn’t have an impact the second half of the season and Morton was Morton. Our depth was very overrated last year. UK’s starting 5 was way better.

Ivey and Edey both played poorly, but it wasn’t because they were put in bad position.

I don’t think we’ve ever interacted outside this thread, so I’m not shocked you have that viewpoint.

1. Drew
2. Several probably. Tenn, TCu, A&M, Arkansas, Pitt, Nebraska, MD.
3. MD, Pitt maybe equal
Yeah, similar thoughts.

#1, I would add Bennett. If character were no issue, Sampson and Pearl can really coach. I'd like to add Counzo due to his Purdue connection, but Mizzou years have not been kind to him
#2, I'd add LSU and Providence. Also think IL could be an interesting one; I know Underwood has had a couple good teams, but not sold on him
#3, IL would certainly be a peer gig, if included in #2

Yeah, similar thoughts.

#1, I would add Bennett. If character were no issue, Sampson and Pearl can really coach. I'd like to add Counzo due to his Purdue connection, but Mizzou years have not been kind to him
#2, I'd add LSU and Providence. Also think IL could be an interesting one; I know Underwood has had a couple good teams, but not sold on him
#3, IL would certainly be a peer gig, if included in #2
Bennett is pretty much Painter plus one lucky scramble rebound and bank shot.
Sampson and especially Pearl are so gross.

Reactions: indyogb
Here we go again. Painter is about .500 in his Purdue career in the tourney. I believe he's only beaten 1 higher seeded team (and I don't know if he's ever beaten any team seeded more than one spot higher). He's been beaten by double digit seeds in 3 of the last 4 tournies. He's 1-6 in Sweet 16 games.
Name the B10 schools who haven't been to the FF since Purdue was in 1980. (I'll give you a hint, none of them are considered basketball schools like Purdue is).
but you did not answer the question.

Bennett is pretty much Painter plus one lucky scramble rebound and bank shot.
Sampson and especially Pearl are so gross.
I get the point on Bennett, but disagree a little. 5-time ACC regular season champ and 2-time conference tournament winner in the last 10 years playing in a conference that has 2 of the top 5 winningest teams during the 2010's is pretty damn good (and Bennett's VA was top 10 itself). Multiple #1 tourney seeds. As for lucky scramble, yeah it happens, but his team still went on to win 2 more games after that and cut 'em down. If you give me 1 sub-$4M choice on that list - all things considered - Bennett's my guy. I don't necessarily like his slow-down style, but hard to argue with his regular season results results. Aside from the championship year, he does have 1 other EE and another SS with 3 first round exits, but he's a little behind Painter in terms of tournament consistency with only 3 SSs in his 13 years there.

Last edited:
I get the point on Bennett, but disagree a little. 5-time ACC regular season champ and 2-time conference tournament winner in the last 10 years playing in a conference that has 2 of the top 5 winningest teams during the 2010's is pretty damn good (and Bennett's VA was top 10 itself). Multiple #1 tourney seeds. As for lucky scramble, yeah it happens, but his team still went on to win 2 more games after that and cut 'em down. If you give me 1 sub-$4M choice on that list - all things considered - Bennett's my guy. I don't necessarily like his slow-down style, but hard to argue with his regular season results results. Aside from the championship year, he does have 1 other EE and another SS with 3 first round exits, but he's a little behind Painter in terms of tournament consistency with only 3 SSs in his 13 years there.
If he loses that game his NCAAT record would be 13-10 (10-8 at UVa) with 2 elite 8s and 3 1st round losses including as a 1 seed. We'd be having the same convo about him as we are about MP.

If he loses that game his NCAAT record would be 13-10 (10-8 at UVa) with 2 elite 8s and 3 1st round losses including as a 1 seed. We'd be having the same convo about him as we are about MP.
Perhaps. I still think his regular season success is spectacular. In fairness though, if we're taking away Bennett's best season in tourney as if it's an outlier, then you need to take away Painter's. That'd be Painter's 5 SSs and 3 first round exists in 16 seasons vs Bennett's 2 SSs and 1 EE (included in the aforementioned) and 3 first round exits in 12 seasons. Not wildly dissimilar, to your point (a quality vs quantity debate). But coupling that with 5 ACC crowns in last 10 years just tips the scales for me. To each their own.

Last edited:
Reactions: DAG10
I am closer to where you fall than not, but, I don't feel like he has been as close as you might believe or suggest.

He had a couple of really good chances though...Hummel injury certainly worked against him, and, who knows what success may have followed for Purdue had he managed to reach promised land.

He blew a couple of other chances...Haas' injury may have kept him from a FF though.

This year was a blown golden opportunity.

I have no idea if a new coach would be better...no way for anyone to know. Like say, right now, I don't think he can get Purdue there with things as they stand...he has not thus far, and, he could not even round out the roster for this season that he desperately needed to...just lost one of the most talented recruits that he had secured a commitment from (and, is now chasing once again in recruiting).

Like say, had Hummel not been injured (either time), it would have been nice to see what happened...as that group might have made a FF, if not two...and, that may have changed Painter's and Purdue's fortune moving forward had it happened. At the same time, he underachieved with a couple of other really good/great teams, and, that garners attention as well. That, and that he has not been able to generate any sustained success either with guys good enough to be NBA talent, or, developing them into such.
not to forget if a FLUKE of major proportions doesn't happen against Virg , we have a Final 4 and maybe a championship as Virg won.

Painter is who he is, and Purdue will be what it is for however long Painter is here.

Expect 20 win seasons and tournament appearances. Expect people (other coaches and members of the media) to praise Painter and say nice things about him.

But don't expect Purdue to be taken seriously, on a national level, so long as Painter remains the head coach at Purdue.
I would say Matt is taken very seriously at the national level, as he won a Natl coach of year award and has ascended to places of power with national teams.

Kentucky had a player on their roster that did not even play , that was a 1st round draft pick right after Ivey.

IT, Newman, and Furst didn’t have an impact the second half of the season and Morton was Morton. Our depth was very overrated last year. UK’s starting 5 was way better.

Ivey and Edey both played poorly, but it wasn’t because they were put in bad position.

I don’t think we’ve ever interacted outside this thread, so I’m not shocked you have that viewpoint.

Morton played extremely well in the tournament. IT wasn't the same after he got hurt. Furst was playing a role and doing just fine. Newman didn't play because he was in Painter's doghouse. Who's fault was that?

You and I are gonna have to disagree about the game plan. Painter did a poor job planning for the St Pete game. There's nothing you can say that would convince me otherwise.

Kentucky had a player on their roster that did not even play , that was a 1st round draft pick right after Ivey.
He was drafted on potential. So remind me. How did he make UK a better roster when he didn't play?

I think there is evidence that supports literally anyone would/will clean up at UNC, and, early results would suggest the same for Duke.
It's pretty easy to recruit when ESPN has you on "more than Leave it to Beaver reruns."

Reactions: jimsil13
Perhaps. I still think his regular season success is spectacular. In fairness though, if we're taking away Bennett's best season in tourney as if it's an outlier, then you need to take away Painter's. That'd be Painter's 5 SSs and 3 first round exists in 16 seasons vs Bennett's 2 SSs and 1 EE (included in the aforementioned) and 3 first round exits in 12 seasons. Not wildly dissimilar, to your point (a quality vs quantity debate). But coupling that with 5 ACC crowns in last 10 years just tips the scales for me. To each their own.
Bennett has certainly had more success. All in all I think they are very similar. We can't change history but as I said we are 1 play away from Painter having a FF (and maybe NC) and Bennett neither. Were that the case, nobody would make the coaching trade based on 5 ACC titles, impressive as that is.

I would say Matt is taken very seriously at the national level, as he won a Natl coach of year award and has ascended to places of power with national teams.
Yes, he's taken seriously, but whether they admit it or not, Purdue and Painter are not taken seriously as a true, national championship contending coach and program.

Morton played extremely well in the tournament. IT wasn't the same after he got hurt. Furst was playing a role and doing just fine. Newman didn't play because he was in Painter's doghouse. Who's fault was that?

You and I are gonna have to disagree about the game plan. Painter did a poor job planning for the St Pete game. There's nothing you can say that would convince me otherwise.
Cool, I’ll stop trying.

1. Recent join date... check
2. Low post count... check
3. Incendiary remarks about Purdue... check

I'm calling shenanigans here.

I’m generally in the middle camp that is mostly happy with Painter and understands that as long as Mackey is full and we’re making NCAA appearances, they are probably going to keep him around. I am more interested in discussions on specific topics than the whole Ainter vs. Sainter war. I will support him as long as he is Purdue’s coach, but he get gets a golf clap from me at introductions. I will defend him if he’s getting shit on and temper enthusiasm when people say Duke is going to hire him away.
Here’s another way to look at it:

In the NIL world, is that the best use of $450,000 ? If that cash was instead used to fund scholarships, could $450K be redirected from JPC contributions to Boilermaker Alliance contributions, and then used to get better players?

Here’s another way to look at it:

In the NIL world, is that the best use of $450,000 ? If that cash was instead used to fund scholarships, could $450K be redirected from JPC contributions to Boilermaker Alliance contributions, and then used to get better players?
The $450k is a drop in the bucket. I do agree that Purdue needs to start funding scholarships and donors should divert those funds to NIL.

ADVERTISEMENT