ADVERTISEMENT

CMP Salary Increases? Should Be a Final 4 Bonus...

BoilerInChiTown

True Freshman
Oct 5, 2016
Last edited:
Is this necessary? I personally think CMP is too comfortable doing what's he been doing. Good but not great and too many of us are okay with this. I would have made this a final 4 bonus. He's not going anywhere like it or not...

This is just part of the norm for sports salaries anymore.
As far as the Retention Bonus, Purdue could have made a media splash by saying that it would pay Painter $3 million dollars for a FF appearance. It is not going to happen, but it would create some buzz. Painter is going to find it harder to get the Iveys of the world now with the NIL. We just saw that this week. We saw it 3 months ago with Pack. Colvin is a legacy, so I think that is the only reason we will get him. The FF is a dream for us. That is part of being a Purdue fan.

This is just part of the norm for sports salaries anymore.
As far as the Retention Bonus, Purdue could have made a media splash by saying that it would pay Painter $3 million dollars for a FF appearance. It is not going to happen, but it would create some buzz. Painter is going to find it harder to get the Iveys of the world now with the NIL. We just saw that this week. We saw it 3 months ago with Pack. Colvin is a legacy, so I think that is the only reason we will get him. The FF is a dream for us. That is part of being a Purdue fan.
Reality is what it is , we had our shot last year....blew it big time. Best to have no expectations at this point. He gets paid a few million to coach some kids play basketball, if you gotta work , might as well be a Boiler coach.

Eh that’s what you pay for top coaching, underwood and juwan Howard right in that area too. Crazier to me is mid major football coaches earning over a million but hey it is what is, good for them.

Necessary? No, probably not. With a win over St Pete and a 2nd EE in a 3-yr span, I think you could argue it more easily, though I personally would still struggle justifying it as necessary. For example, how many schools with a better basketball program than Purdue’s would want to steal him away AND be in a position to pay him more than he’s already making (presumably CMP wouldn’t leave for a pay decrease, and probably not even for equal pay, nor is he likely to take a step down to a lesser P5 program hoops-wise).

Setting aside college sports coaching pay, which is astronomical and way in excess of what I think they should be paid, I do wonder what Purdue’s broader position is on wage increases. Particularly for low wage earners in janitorial roles, cafe workers, etc., inflation and higher cost of living has been an incredible pain point for working people. You could give more than 100 employees a $2/hr wage increase for less than the amount of raise Painter just got. For your lowest paid people, that’s food security, gas to get to work, daycare, etc. I hope the university is taking care of these people as well.

Last edited:
Is this necessary? I personally think CMP is too comfortable doing what's he been doing. Good but not great and too many of us are okay with this. I would have made this a final 4 bonus. He's not going anywhere like it or not...

Painter’s salary to production ratio is way better than Brohm’s.

So many Purdue fans take Painter for granted.

Painter’s salary to production ratio is way better than Brohm’s.

So many Purdue fans take Painter for granted.
Truth to it certainly, but, different expectations as well...the bar was SO low for Brohm.

He is taken for granted to an extent though...but, when Brohm loses to a UALR, North Texas or St. Peter's, I am confident that there will be some backlash.

Reactions: purduepat1969
Brohm had to come in after the disaster of the Hazell era.
We’ve had 5 seasons of Brohm. This year looks like it will be a good year, but it’s hard to argue he should be paid more than Painter if results are the only factor. Obviously that is not the only factor as Brohm has been a master of playing up potential suitors to get raises.

Truth to it certainly, but, different expectations as well...the bar was SO low for Brohm.

He is taken for granted to an extent though...but, when Brohm loses to a UALR, North Texas or St. Peter's, I am confident that there will be some backlash.
Brohm has lost to those level of teams. Nevada, Eastern Michigan, and Rutgers.

• Sad
Reactions: SKYDOG
We’ve had 5 seasons of Brohm. This year looks like it will be a good year, but it’s hard to argue he should be paid more than Painter if results are the only factor. Obviously that is not the only factor as Brohm has been a master of playing up potential suitors to get raises.
Painter took over from a competent Keady. Brohm took over from arguably the worst P5 coach in recent history. At least Brohm is winning bowl games while he rebuilds. After 15 years Painter's still losing to North Texas and St Peter...

Reactions: PumpkinShuckers07
Painter took over from a competent Keady. Brohm took over from arguably the worst P5 coach in recent history. At least Brohm is winning bowl games while he rebuilds. After 15 years Painter's still losing to North Texas and St Peter...
What is the roster that Painter took over? Both Teague and Landry were hurt.

Winning meaningless bowl games is not special. He’s 2-1 in bowl games and the 1 loss was our worst bowl loss in history. Painter has 3 Big Ten championships (Brohm will never get 1). He also has an Elite 8 and 6 Sweet 16 appearances.

I like both Brohm and Painter, but the disrespect shown to Painter on the freeboard is an absolute embarrassment.

What is the roster that Painter took over? Both Teague and Landry were hurt.

Winning meaningless bowl games is not special. He’s 2-1 in bowl games and the 1 loss was our worst bowl loss in history. Painter has 3 Big Ten championships (Brohm will never get 1). He also has an Elite 8 and 6 Sweet 16 appearances.

I like both Brohm and Painter, but the disrespect shown to Painter on the freeboard is an absolute embarrassment.

I like Painter as well. I don't want him going anywhere. But he doesn't win when it counts. And if you can't see the difference between the programs Painter inherited vs Brohm, I can't really help you...

I believe Purdue coaches should receive a base salary comparitive to coaches of other similar BIG 10 schools like msu, uw, Illinois, Iowa etc. and they should have longevity increases. And they should also receive some sort of bonus based on performance. I’m snot sure I agree with incentives for the rank of recruiting classes as it should be more about performance than the talent you bring to a school

I like Painter as well. I don't want him going anywhere. But he doesn't win when it counts. And if you can't see the difference between the programs Painter inherited vs Brohm, I can't really help you...
And Brohm does win when it counts? 2-1 in low level bowl games is “winning when it counts”?

I realize they inherited different situations, but Brohm has been here for 5 seasons now, and currently still has a losing record. Meanwhile, Painter May end up as the best basketball coach we’ve ever had.

Reactions: indyogb
And Brohm does win when it counts? 2-1 in low level bowl games is “winning when it counts”?

I realize they inherited different situations, but Brohm has been here for 5 seasons now, and currently still has a losing record. Meanwhile, Painter May end up as the best basketball coach we’ve ever had.
Where did I say Brohm wins when it counts? I didn't. I stated that Brohm inherited probably the worst P5 program in recent history. And at least he wins the bowl games (yes I know he lost to Auburn). In the last two NCAA tournaments, Painter has lost to two heavy underdogs that he never should have. He has a history of doing this, and it's a problem. Quite frankly, I don't understand why we're paying a retention bonus to him when he's clearly not going anywhere.

Reactions: bonefish1 and DAG10
Where did I say Brohm wins when it counts? I didn't. I stated that Brohm inherited probably the worst P5 program in recent history. And at least he wins the bowl games (yes I know he lost to Auburn). In the last two NCAA tournaments, Painter has lost to two heavy underdogs that he never should have. He has a history of doing this, and it's a problem. Quite frankly, I don't understand why we're paying a retention bonus to him when he's clearly not going anywhere.
You said Painter doesn’t win when it counts as if Brohm does.

We are going to really miss Painter when he is gone.

Painter ain't going anywhere anytime soon. Let's take Brohm out of this. Does Painter really win when it counts?
Painter could go pretty much whenever he wanted if he decided to leave Purdue, and I wouldn’t be shocked if he were to retire soon with the new NIL and Transfer rules.

Painter has 3 Big Ten championships. He has a Big Ten Tournament championship. He’s been to the Sweet 16 6 times and the Elite 8 one time. Given those stats, I would absolutely say he wins when it matters.

Name a coach you would rather have that would REALISTICALLY come here.

The idea that "Painter has become too comfortable doing what he has always done" is kind of strange to hear. He changed much of his recruiting philosophy over the last decade and the on court strategies have evolved. I know many disagree with the adherence to man-to-man defense and the motion offense, but almost everything else has been adjusted over the last few years.

The "win when it counts" measuring stick is kind of unfair to both Painter and Brohm, really. They are asked to "do more with less" (not just financially; it is harder to recruit at Purdue than many other places) and Painter, especially, excels at that. Of course, when the competition rises (say, the NCAA tournament or a bowl game), the limits of what can be done are more likely to be found. I understand losses like UALR and St. Peter's are not the same case (those losses are inexcusable).

Before the NIL business legalized the previous black market nature of college basketball, I was pretty sure Painter was getting us closer to the promised land - tournament runs were getting deeper and recruiting was looking up. Now... I don't know that anyone could take Purdue there, short of catching lightning in a bottle.

Painter could go pretty much whenever he wanted if he decided to leave Purdue, and I wouldn’t be shocked if he were to retire soon with the new NIL and Transfer rules.

Painter has 3 Big Ten championships. He has a Big Ten Tournament championship. He’s been to the Sweet 16 6 times and the Elite 8 one time. Given those stats, I would absolutely say he wins when it matters.

Here's where you're getting confused. I never advocated for another coach. My whole point is why a retention bonus is necessary? He's not leaving Purdue.

And secondarily, why can't I criticize Painter while continuing to want him coaching here? I never said I wanted a new coach. What I'm saying is that he doesn't win when it counts in March...

Here's where you're getting confused. I never advocated for another coach. My whole point is why a retention bonus is necessary? He's not leaving Purdue.

And secondarily, why can't I criticize Painter while continuing to want him coaching here? I never said I wanted a new coach. What I'm saying is that he doesn't win when it counts in March...
Why do you care if Painter gets a retention bonus? As I said, he could leave and get a job most would consider better in an instant. That’s one of the beautiful things about Painter. He’s loyal. He doesn’t have his agent shop his name around every offseason in order to get paid more.

You can say you want to keep Painter, but your posts say otherwise. Unless you are just shitposting just to shitpost.

Reactions: Russ Ford
The idea that "Painter has become too comfortable doing what he has always done" is kind of strange to hear. He changed much of his recruiting philosophy over the last decade and the on court strategies have evolved. I know many disagree with the adherence to man-to-man defense and the motion offense, but almost everything else has been adjusted over the last few years.

The "win when it counts" measuring stick is kind of unfair to both Painter and Brohm, really. They are asked to "do more with less" (not just financially; it is harder to recruit at Purdue than many other places) and Painter, especially, excels at that. Of course, when the competition rises (say, the NCAA tournament or a bowl game), the limits of what can be done are more likely to be found. I understand losses like UALR and St. Peter's are not the same case (those losses are inexcusable).

Before the NIL business legalized the previous black market nature of college basketball, I was pretty sure Painter was getting us closer to the promised land - tournament runs were getting deeper and recruiting was looking up. Now... I don't know that anyone could take Purdue there, short of catching lightning in a bottle.
I hesitate to even respond in that I don't want to spend a ton of time on the matter or going down the proverbial rabbit hole...but, how has the recruiting philosophy changed? And, everyone that disagrees with the adherences is entitled to do so, as, it simply does not make sense in that it is a strict adherence at least in the case of man-to-man (regardless of personnel, or, just how bad they are at/with it).

I agree on your second point about winning "when it counts" though.

On the idea that "before NIL" though, Painter lost to N. Texas and St. Peter's before NIL...I think you are right about the idea that it would take a virtual miracle from this point on, but, it failed multiple times before NIL certainly. I have said for some time that Purdue's 2001 Rose Bowl appearance would be its last...and, to your point, a FF run now would be almost as unlikely unfortunately...it makes the epic fail this past year all the more disappointing as such.

Painter is definitely a good coach...so is Brohm...I am thankful as a Purdue fan for what each of them have done, and, how they generally do their jobs.

Why do you care if Painter gets a retention bonus? As I said, he could leave and get a job most would consider better in an instant. That’s one of the beautiful things about Painter. He’s loyal. He doesn’t have his agent shop his name around every offseason in order to get paid more.

You can say you want to keep Painter, but your posts say otherwise. Unless you are just shitposting just to shitpost.
I am not sure that I agree, at least entirely, that he could leave and get a job deemed better in an instant....you may be right, but, I am not certain. I know this...he would have FAR greater expectations at such a place, and, his security would be far less at said places, especially after the last two NCAA tournaments. I do appreciate his loyalty...but, very few schools are as loyal in return. Purdue gave him the literal opportunity of a lifetime when it hired him...he was blessed as such...Purdue has been pretty darn fortunate in return.

I think he is closer to stepping down than not...especially with how things are and the direction they are moving (and, while spot on about NIL and Transfer rules factoring in, so does the ridiculous Conference expansion).

I appreciate what he has achieved and you noted, but, he should have won at least twice as many championships and it is almost a knock opposed to any praise to note a single BTT championship...he has won a lot of games...he has not won a lot of games when it matters, never mind when it matters most.

I always love the idea of trying to get someone to name a coach that would realistically come to Purdue when the literal ONLY reason that Painter is at Purdue is because he played at Purdue. Never mind, who knows how good some guys may have done or be at Purdue relative to where they were/are. Pretty irrelevant ultimately, but, the idea that Purdue could not find someone to have done the same is impossible to debate, much less argue.

Last edited:
I am not sure that I agree, at least entirely, that he could leave and get a job deemed better in an instant....you may be right, but, I am not certain. I know this...he would have FAR greater expectations at such a place, and, his security would be far less at said places, especially after the last two NCAA tournaments. I do appreciate his loyalty...but, very few schools are as loyal in return. Purdue gave him the literal opportunity of a lifetime when it hired him...he was blessed as such...Purdue has been pretty darn fortunate in return.
It was reported that UCLA, Arizona, and Louisville all reached out to gauge Painter’s interest for their job openings in the last two years. Those are undoubtedly considered better jobs. Painter is an elite Xs and Os coach, but always has less talent than the majority of his peers. Some of that may be on Painter’s recruiting, but I think it’s more so on other recruiting factors like location. If he were to go to a place that recruits itself, I believe he would win a championship rather easily.

Reactions: abrodtpp
It was reported that UCLA, Arizona, and Louisville all reached out to gauge Painter’s interest for their job openings in the last two years. Those are undoubtedly considered better jobs. Painter is an elite Xs and Os coach, but always has less talent than the majority of his peers. Some of that may be on Painter’s recruiting, but I think it’s more so on other recruiting factors like location. If he were to go to a place that recruits itself, I believe he would win a championship rather easily.
While I buy some of what you suggest with respect to other schools providing better opportunities from a recruiting standpoint, there is no way to convince me he would win a championship "rather easily" anywhere...particularly with his strict adherence to man-to-man defense, and, other things that he does at times.

Reasonable to have thought that a very talented Purdue team would have beat a far inferior UALR team "rather easily", yet, it did not happen...a team that had been ranked #1 and spent the entire season ranked in the top 10 should have been able to beat St. Peter's "rather easily" but was not even capable of winning the game.

While I buy some of what you suggest with respect to other schools providing better opportunities from a recruiting standpoint, there is no way to convince me he would win a championship "rather easily" anywhere...particularly with his strict adherence to man-to-man defense, and, other things that he does at times.

Reasonable to have thought that a very talented Purdue team would have beat a far inferior UALR team "rather easily", yet, it did not happen...a team that had been ranked #1 and spent the entire season ranked in the top 10 should have been able to beat St. Peter's "rather easily" but was not even capable of winning the game.
That’s why they play the game. Virginia lost to a #16 seed and won the championship the next year.

That’s why they play the game. Virginia lost to a #16 seed and won the championship the next year.
But, you assertion that he would win a championship somewhere else "rather easily" is what I was taking exception with. There is no such place where it is the case, and, no reason to believe that he would do it any more easily than so many other great coaches that have failed to do it rather easily elsewhere.

Would his chances of winning one be better elsewhere...absolutely they would, more so now than ever...but the idea that it is merely a case of needing to go somewhere else and it will just happen is a bit much I think.

But, you assertion that he would win a championship somewhere else "rather easily" is what I was taking exception with. There is no such place where it is the case, and, no reason to believe that he would do it any more easily than so many other great coaches that have failed to do it rather easily elsewhere.

Would his chances of winning one be better elsewhere...absolutely they would, more so now than ever...but the idea that it is merely a case of needing to go somewhere else and it will just happen is a bit much I think.
Okay, that’s fine.

Lol. "We're paying?" How much are you paying? I'm guessing you're not paying a dime of it.

Dude, you're one of those guys who can't handle when someone criticizes a coach for a weakness. I still think Painter's a good coach. But he needs to work on being a better tourney coach. Because winning in the tourney is what counts the most. Sure, winning a B1G title is great. But schools who make it to the FF or a Natty are the ones people remember. He's had way too many early exits from the tournament to be considered a great coach. That's the reality. Sorry if you don't like to hear it.

Dude, you're one of those guys who can't handle when someone criticizes a coach for a weakness. I still think Painter's a good coach. But he needs to work on being a better tourney coach. Because winning in the tourney is what counts the most. Sure, winning a B1G title is great. But schools who make it to the FF or a Natty are the ones people remember. He's had way too many early exits from the tournament to be considered a great coach. That's the reality. Sorry if you don't like to hear it.
Am I one of those guys? Painter actually has a really good record in the tournament. In the last 17 years where does Painter rank in tournament wins? How many coaches have 6+ Sweet 16s in the last 17 seasons?

Your argument for Painter’s weakness is lazy. When you coach long enough and are consistently a top seed in the tournament, you are going to get upset. It happened to Coach K, Calipari, Izzo, Self, Wright, etc. Shit happens. If Painter weren’t consistently at the top of the Big Ten, I would agree with you, but he is.

But also going to Sweet 16's, don't see Brohm doing the equivalent.

I hesitate to even respond in that I don't want to spend a ton of time on the matter or going down the proverbial rabbit hole...but, how has the recruiting philosophy changed? And, everyone that disagrees with the adherences is entitled to do so, as, it simply does not make sense in that it is a strict adherence at least in the case of man-to-man (regardless of personnel, or, just how bad they are at/with it).

I agree on your second point about winning "when it counts" though.

On the idea that "before NIL" though, Painter lost to N. Texas and St. Peter's before NIL...I think you are right about the idea that it would take a virtual miracle from this point on, but, it failed multiple times before NIL certainly. I have said for some time that Purdue's 2001 Rose Bowl appearance would be its last...and, to your point, a FF run now would be almost as unlikely unfortunately...it makes the epic fail this past year all the more disappointing as such.

Painter is definitely a good coach...so is Brohm...I am thankful as a Purdue fan for what each of them have done, and, how they generally do their jobs.
The type of recruits he was getting the last five or ten years seemed much more athletic to me (whereas the previous years, it seemed he was looking for more role specific players). Also, he seems to have emphasized getting size the last decade or so. Both could just be instances of more successful recruiting, but even that would signify that something changed. Heck, even the motion offense was modified for Edwards and Ivey at times. In general, I just see Painter as a guy who is trying to wring out everything he can with what he's given and he does not seem unadaptable or afraid to change, which is the antithesis of a guy who is "comfortable just doing what he has been doing."

Reactions: DAG10
The type of recruits he was getting the last five or ten years seemed much more athletic to me (whereas the previous years, it seemed he was looking for more role specific players). Also, he seems to have emphasized getting size the last decade or so. Both could just be instances of more successful recruiting, but even that would signify that something changed. Heck, even the motion offense was modified for Edwards and Ivey at times. In general, I just see Painter as a guy who is trying to wring out everything he can with what he's given and he does not seem unadaptable or afraid to change, which is the antithesis of a guy who is "comfortable just doing what he has been doing."

Painter has done a great job getting the most out of individual developmental players. However, last year is a prime example of where he wasn't very adaptable on key issues, defense being one of them. Players were out of position and overplaying help defense so often it was almost comical. People here will say that's on the players, and to some extent it is. But when you see it game after game after game, it's at some point on the coach to make changes. He really didn't. And it cost him the B1G.

Again, I'm not suggesting any kind of a coaching change. But for those that are in denial about his stubbornness in game plan, you only need to look at the tape. And quite frankly, a monkey could have better game planned against St Peters...

• Haha
Reactions: Russ Ford and DAG10
I agree with a lot of that...

I am not sure about a change per se in terms of athleticism as much as a definite (and unique) focus on size (and, still unsure whether that really makes sense or not...but, there is a focus on it).

I am not sure if that is a product of what he likes to do offensively, or, something that he feels like gives him an advantage of some sort...does not really matter, as, it is a clear and conscious decision, and, he has gone that way.

My knock...class imbalance...it has not haunted him/Purdue as it may have, but, it has been poised to do so certainly. He has managed to land a couple of really good big classes more than once...not easy to do...which is why I hate it, and, he has not been able to successfully add to/round out classes a couple of times as a result as well.

And, I agree in that there is not the strict adherence offensively that there is defensively...and, that he has a great knowledge of that side of things...it is why I dreaded the loss of Shrewsberry...even Gary had come along way in that regard...I was not enamored with Johnson last year...which, all goes to another point entirely...his staff...he has had some great assistant coaches during his time...I am not sure how great the staff is presently.

As things stand, I don't know with NIL and transfer portal and COVID years what matters, never mind what matters most.

I guess my concern, and, belief even (at least to an extent) is that Painter's best days (and, Purdue's as such) have already happened...and, while there have been some really nice things that have happened and a bunch of wins along the way, I have to think the consensus would be that Purdue has had a handful of chances during his time where a FF run was not only realistic, but, even a somewhat reasonable expectation...never more so than this past year.

Last edited:
I agree with a lot of that...

I am not sure about a change per se in terms of athleticism as much as a definite (and unique) focus on size (and, still unsure whether that really makes sense or not...but, there is a focus on it).

I am not sure if that is a product of what he likes to do offensively, or, something that he feels like gives him an advantage of some sort...does not really matter, as, it is a clear and conscious decision, and, he has gone that way.

My knock...class imbalance...it has not haunted him/Purdue as it may have, but, it has been poised to do so certainly. He has managed to land a couple of really good big classes more than once...not easy to do...which is why I hate it, and, he has not been able to successfully add to/round out classes a couple of times as a result as well.

And, I agree in that there is not the strict adherence offensively that there is defensively...and, that he has a great knowledge of that side of things...it is why I dreaded the loss of Shrewsberry...even Gary had come along way in that regard...I was not enamored with Johnson last year...which, all goes to another point entirely...his staff...he has had some great assistance coaches during his time...I am not sure how great the staff is presently.

As things stand, I don't know with NIL and transfer portal and COVID years what matters, never mind what matters most.

I guess my concern, and, belief even (at least to an extent) is that Painter's best days (and, Purdue's as such) have already happened...and, while there have been some really nice things that have happened and a bunch of wins along the way, I have to think the consensus would be that Purdue has had a handful of chances during his time where a FF run was not only realistic, but, even a somewhat reasonable expectation...never more so than this past year.
I get what you're saying. He's not perfect. I also fear our days of being competitive are likely numbered, unless something with NIL changes - we just don't have a large enough fanbase (let's face it, most otherwise unaffiliated Hoosiers are big IU fans, which will lead to more lucrative NIL deals) to keep up with the big boys if money is unlimited. (Note: I don't think IU can compete with OSU, Michigan, or the big SEC schools, either; they certainly have more NIL potential than Purdue though)

ADVERTISEMENT