ADVERTISEMENT

CMP Salary Increases? Should Be a Final 4 Bonus...

I think that is the crux of the argument. How does the message that NIL needs priority funding get carried out to the folks who are currently writing checks for Purdue athletics. Outside the box thinking is needed in the post NIL world because Purdue obviously doesn't have a sugar daddy stepping forward to date. Purdue has to find a way to compete. There are a lot of smart people involved that can figure this out.
If Purdue's recruiting isn't competitive because of NIL funding failures, then they might as well hire an intern to coach the team.
Purdue could very easily say we they don’t need as many donations now because they can self fund scholarships and other AD projects, but they won’t, because why would they? Big donors won’t want to divert very many funds, because it will impact their seating.

Ideally Purdue says “After you have donated X amount of dollars to Purdue, any $ donated to the collective will count towards your seat points”.

In that scenario it encourages donations of a certain amount and still allows for good seats while donating to NIL.

Reactions: FirstDownB
Yeah- they could have spent it on scholarships, so the JPC didn’t have to, freeing up $450K in donations for the Alliance.
It doesn’t free up anything. Purdue can already self fund scholarships (like every single other P5 school does). It doesn’t need donor money to do that.

Purdue could very easily say we they don’t need as many donations now because they can self fund scholarships and other AD projects, but they won’t, because why would they? Big donors won’t want to divert very many funds, because it will impact their seating.

Ideally Purdue says “After you have donated X amount of dollars to Purdue, any $ donated to the collective will count towards your seat points”.

In that scenario it encourages donations of a certain amount and still allows for good seats while donating to NIL.
They can just tell the whales that their collective donations will count for JPC points, dollar for dollar.

Reactions: FirstDownB
It doesn’t free up anything. Purdue can already self fund scholarships (like every single other P5 school does). It doesn’t need donor money to do that.
Never said they need donor money to pay coaches. They can use TV/ticket revenue to pay for scholarships instead of giving it to coaches, which in turn allows the JPC to redirect funds to the collective.

Never said they need donor money to pay coaches. They can use TV/ticket revenue to pay for scholarships instead of giving it to coaches, which in turn allows the JPC to redirect funds to the collective.
And it doesn’t matter that they gave Painter a $450k bonus in 2 years.

We are basically saying the same thing except that you think coaches shouldn’t get paid their market value so that money can go to NIL as well.

And it doesn’t matter that they gave Painter a $450k bonus in 2 years.

We are basically saying the same thing except that you think coaches shouldn’t get paid their market value so that money can go to NIL as well.
It matters, in that it’s $450K that could have indirectly gone to the collective.

As DAG10 said, the market value of coaches could very well be changing with NIL.

Reactions: purduepat1969
It matters, in that it’s $450K that could have indirectly gone to the collective.

As DAG10 said, the market value of coaches could very well be changing with NIL.
My goodness. There are 10s of millions of dollars that Purdue doesn’t actually need to operate that could indirectly go to NIL, yet you are worried about a measly $450k to our most deserving coach. Coaching market values will continue to rise, not drop. To suggest otherwise is crazy.

My goodness. There are 10s of millions of dollars that Purdue doesn’t actually need to operate that could indirectly go to NIL, yet you are worried about a measly $450k to our most deserving coach. Coaching market values will continue to rise, not drop. To suggest otherwise is crazy.
Luke Fickell is going to get $5m at Cincinnati...my guess is that once Cincinnati discovers that it is irrelevant in college football due to NIL and conference expansion, they won't be paying him (or anyone else for that matter) $5m to coach their football team.

Probably won't take the likes of Vanderbilt, Northwestern (and, at some point, schools like Purdue) to realize the same, barring some dramatic shift in not just their philosophy with respect to NIL, but, actual participation...no point in paying a HC $5m if he can't secure talent and win on the grandest scale, and, even in those places where it is the case, they may discover that the HC is not that important in the whole scheme.

Luke Fickell is going to get $5m at Cincinnati...my guess is that once Cincinnati discovers that it is irrelevant in college football due to NIL and conference expansion, they won't be paying him (or anyone else for that matter) $5m to coach their football team.

Probably won't take the likes of Vanderbilt, Northwestern (and, at some point, schools like Purdue) to realize the same, barring some dramatic shift in not just their philosophy with respect to NIL, but, actual participation...no point in paying a HC $5m if he can't secure talent and win on the grandest scale, and, even in those places where it is the case, they may discover that the HC is not that important in the whole scheme.
And I believe you are very wrong. Coaches salaries will continue to increase. You can have all the talent in the world and still get beat because of poor coaching. The boosters will worry about paying players and the university will worry about paying coaches.

Do you know the numbers for our most recent yearly expenses data?

Do you find it weird that our total revenue and total expenses always are very close to each other (same with most ADs)?
You have any proof, or nah?

And still doesn’t change the fact that every dollar paid to a coach (or assistant coach, or support personnel, etc) is one less dollar for NIL. There aren’t unlimited funds, at least until we find our Mat Ishbia.

You have any proof, or nah?

And still doesn’t change the fact that every dollar paid to a coach (or assistant coach, or support personnel, etc) is one less dollar for NIL. There aren’t unlimited funds, at least until we find our Mat Ishbia.

Our AD expenses were $99 million. The new BTN deal covers that by itself. BTN, ticket revenue, and other AD non donor money can’t go to NIL.

Why are you insistent on taking funds away from our most deserving coach? Maybe we should just drop an Olympic sport or 5?

And I believe you are very wrong. Coaches salaries will continue to increase. You can have all the talent in the world and still get beat because of poor coaching. The boosters will worry about paying players and the university will worry about paying coaches.
And, Universities that realize that they have no legitimate chance at winning...which will be way more Universities than not, will realize that it is a genuine worthless expense to pay a HC as such.

What difference is it to pay a HC $1m and be irrelevant or $5m and be irrelevant, other than $4m saved in the first case and wasted in the latter?

Yes, SEC schools will pay ridiculous salaries at the top...but, Vanderbilt need not do so...and, likely won't as a result...it will be the case with other schools as well, especially if a school is not paying/playing on the NIL front either.

I don't think they will increase...they may not drop in cases of Alabama, Georgia, etc., but, I don't know that they will increase...like say, no reason for Cincinnati to pay Fickell $5m...and, if/when he leaves in that he realizes he can't/won't win there and he wants to go somewhere that he can, they won't pay his replacement $5m certainly.

And, Universities that realize that they have no legitimate chance at winning...which will be way more Universities than not, will realize that it is a genuine worthless expense to pay a HC as such.

What difference is it to pay a HC $1m and be irrelevant or $5m and be irrelevant, other than $4m saved in the first case and wasted in the latter?

Yes, SEC schools will pay ridiculous salaries at the top...but, Vanderbilt need not do so...and, likely won't as a result...it will be the case with other schools as well, especially if a school is not paying/playing on the NIL front either.

I don't think they will increase...they may not drop in cases of Alabama, Georgia, etc., but, I don't know that they will increase...like say, no reason for Cincinnati to pay Fickell $5m...and, if/when he leaves in that he realizes he can't/won't win there and he wants to go somewhere that he can, they won't pay his replacement $5m certainly.
And.. You’re going to have to pay more for a good coach to coach somewhere he can’t recruit 4* and 5* players.
Failure to secure competitive NIL funds will have a snowball effect.

Reactions: DAG10

Our AD expenses were $99 million. The new BTN deal covers that by itself. BTN, ticket revenue, and other AD non donor money can’t go to NIL.

Why are you insistent on taking funds away from our most deserving coach? Maybe we should just drop an Olympic sport or 5?

Define "deserving". He was making $3.2 M prior to this increase...

Reactions: BSIT and DAG10

Lol how many universities right now have a legitimate chance of winning the college football championship? 5 or 6?

Reactions: Statey

LOL, we’re not getting $99 million a year in TV money.

You’re still not getting it. The more scholarships that the AD can pay for with TV money, is more donor money that can go to NIL.

I never said we SHOULD do that, just asking the question if it makes sense to.

Oh - and we already are at the B1G minimum for varsity sports.

Last edited:
We’ve had 5 seasons of Brohm. This year looks like it will be a good year, but it’s hard to argue he should be paid more than Painter if results are the only factor. Obviously that is not the only factor as Brohm has been a master of playing up potential suitors to get raises.
How much revenue does Purdue Football generate compared to BB?

LOL, we’re not getting $99 million a year in TV money.

You’re still not getting it. The more scholarships that the AD can pay for with TV money, is more donor money that can go to NIL.

I never said we SHOULD do that, just asking the question if it makes sense to.

Oh - and we already are at the B1G minimum for varsity sports.
Are you kidding? The projected revenue per team is $100 million with the new TV deal. Have you really not been following that?

Here we go. Painter takes the $450k bonus and drops it into the NIL donation jar. That works. Then he can get the next money-loving point guard to pop out of that mysterious transfer thingy. :cool:

Reactions: DAG10 and BSIT
So you agree FB coaches should be paid more than BB coaches especially if they are successful in filling the seats
No, I don’t. Football makes more than basketball anyways. You think Duke or UK should pay their football coaches more than K or Calipari?

Are you kidding? The projected revenue per team is $100 million with the new TV deal. Have you really not been following that?
We don’t know that yet. It will be at least $1B a year, but it’s divided up into 16 shares now.

What we do know, is that the more scholarships that AD can pay for with TV money, is more donor money that can go to NIL.

No, I don’t. Football makes more than basketball anyways. You think Duke or UK should pay their football coaches more than K or Calipari?
The difference is they have multiple NC’s and F4’s and our last one was 42 years ago. So in our case yes.Brohm deserves to be paid more

We don’t know that yet. It will be at least $1B a year, but it’s divided up into 16 shares now.

What we do know, is that the more scholarships that AD can pay for with TV money, is more donor money that can go to NIL.
There is more that goes to BTN revenue than just the tv contracts. The tv contracts will end up in the 1.3B-1.5B range.

Sure I am. I’m not in favor of firing him. With finite resources, we need to look at how to best allocate them. Every dollar he gets is one less dollar for a player. And players win games.
Why not just cut every sport expect football and basketball then?

ADVERTISEMENT