ADVERTISEMENT

CMP Salary Increases? Should Be a Final 4 Bonus...

Oh, so even when Purdue teams succeed it has nothing to do with Painter. Got it. This is why you are a member of the PHC.

Side Note: Carsen shot 30+ times once in his career.
Not true...he put together a solid team...composition was really good...unlike some others, and, again...he did not play through the post as he has the vast majority of other years.

But, to act as if that was a product of his system is just as disingenuous as suggesting that he has nothing to do with the success of the team(s).

Again...it has been proven time and time again...guards are what allow teams to win in March, and, elite guards are what allow teams to win at the highest level in March...Purdue had a guy last year that possessed the skills/talent, but, still played through not just a dominant post guy, but, two of them.

Reactions: purduepat1969
Twice...one, solely because he is a legacy, and, the other because he wanted to play near home.

How many have you seen in 20 years that did not have some unique circumstance such as above that allowed for it?
Umm… what? Carsen Edwards was neither a legacy nor did he live in close proximity to Purdue.

3 guards come to mind in the last 20 years and Colvin appears to be a 4th. Do you not recognize that Painter has changed his style and recruiting recently?

That team wasn’t as talented, but they fit well in the system Painter developed for that year. You guys constantly talk about Painter not being willing to adapt, and that couldn’t be further from the truth. He adapts his system to fit whatever personnel he has on a given team.

He basically let Ivey do whatever he wanted too. We’ve now had 2 elite guards over the last 3 years. We have a potential for another in our next class.
I can't wait to see the adaptation of not having a PG...really looking forward to that.

• Haha
Reactions: Purdue_BS_90
Umm… what? Carsen Edwards was neither a legacy nor did he live in close proximity to Purdue.

3 guards come to mind in the last 20 years and Colvin appears to be a 4th. Do you not recognize that Painter has changed his style and recruiting recently?
Nor did he play there in the last 3 years

Not true...he put together a solid team...composition was really good...unlike some others, and, again...he did not play through the post as he has the vast majority of other years.

But, to act as if that was a product of his system is just as disingenuous as suggesting that he has nothing to do with the success of the team(s).

Again...it has been proven time and time again...guards are what allow teams to win in March, and, elite guards are what allow teams to win at the highest level in March...Purdue had a guy last year that possessed the skills/talent, but, still played through not just a dominant post guy, but, two of them.
Ivey took over 100 more shots than anyone else on the team. We had a 3 seed and were top 10 all year long.

You and the rest of the PHC have become spoiled by the success Painter has provided.

I can't wait to see the adaptation of not having a PG...really looking forward to that.
Define PG.

The role of the PG in Painters system is to bring the ball up and start the offense, catch and shoot 3s, and guard the opposing team’s PG. It will be the same this year.

He has not changed his "style" at all, nor has he changed his recruiting (not a single elite guard showed interest in playing on a potential top-25 team, largely because the idea of throwing the ball to the post 90% of the time was not very appealing to guys looking to be able to showcase their own skills in an effort to get to the NBA ideally)...more/most importantly, he has not improved his recruiting of genuinely elite guards, and, barring another unique circumstance, it is hard to believe that he will...I will say that he has at least shown the willingness to allow for a great guard to have success, unlike his predecessor, but, the system at hand does not appeal to the elite national recruits that are guards...and, the lack of consistent guys getting to the NBA has not helped either (although maybe that can/will change with Ivey? Hopefully!).

He has not changed his "style" at all, nor has he changed his recruiting (not a single elite guard showed interest in playing on a potential top-25 team, largely because the idea of throwing the ball to the post 90% of the time was not very appealing to guys looking to be able to showcase their own skills in an effort to get to the NBA ideally)...more/most importantly, he has not improved his recruiting of genuinely elite guards, and, barring another unique circumstance, it is hard to believe that he will...I will say that he has at least shown the willingness to allow for a great guard to have success, unlike his predecessor, but, the system at hand does not appeal to the elite national recruits that are guards...and, the lack of consistent guys getting to the NBA has not helped either (although maybe that can/will change with Ivey? Hopefully!).
Is Nijel Pack an elite guard? What about Tyrese Hunter? What guards that we offered showed “no interest” in playing here?

So I guess Carsen Edwards, Jaden Ivey, and Myles Colvin don’t count as elite guards. Was DGL an elite guard?

Is Nijel Pack an elite guard? What about Tyrese Hunter? What guards that we offered showed “no interest” in playing here?

So I guess Carsen Edwards, Jaden Ivey, and Myles Colvin don’t count as elite guards. Was DGL an elite guard?
I would say neither Pack or Hunter are elite like CE or Ivey. But as they say, "beggars can't be choosers". Our guard cupboards are bare.

"What guards that we offered showed “no interest” in playing here?"
All of the ones that didn't come here.

Last edited:
Reactions: DAG10
Define PG.

The role of the PG in Painters system is to bring the ball up and start the offense, catch and shoot 3s, and guard the opposing team’s PG. It will be the same this year.
How long have you been following Purdue basketball? Purdue has had very few good 3 pt shooting PGs. It's had some good spot up shooting guards who were psuedo PGs, but they weren't really PGs in the sense that they created open looks for others, broke down the D, forced rotations, penetrated, etc.
PJ Thompson is a good example. He was a spot up 3pt shooter and his assist numbers were highly inflated due to the fact that his main role was to dump the ball into a 7 footer in the post.

Nijel pack was the No.1 guy in the entire portal. He'd proven his value in a P5 conf and was exactly what Purdue needed.
Hunter would have been an upgrade over every current guard on the roster.

Reactions: Purdue_BS_90
I would say neither Pack or Hunter are elite like CE or Ivey. But as they say, "beggars can't be choosers". Our guard cupboards are bare.

"What guards that we offered showed “no interest” in playing here?"
All of the ones that didn't come here.
Which guards specifically that we offered showed no interest in coming here? I’m guessing you haven’t really looked at the 2022 offers yet.

How long have you been following Purdue basketball? Purdue has had very few good 3 pt shooting PGs. It's had some good spot up shooting guards who were psuedo PGs, but they weren't really PGs in the sense that they created open looks for others, broke down the D, forced rotations, penetrated, etc.
PJ Thompson is a good example. He was a spot up 3pt shooter and his assist numbers were highly inflated due to the fact that his main role was to dump the ball into a 7 footer in the post.
Well no shit. PGs in Painter’s motion offense Aren’t tasked with creating open looks for others, breaking down the D, forcing rotations, or penetrating. That type of player wouldn’t fit Painter’s system at all.

PJ Thompson is the EXACT player Painter looks for in a PG. That’s the reason you shouldn’t be too worried about our PG spot this year.

Nijel pack was the No.1 guy in the entire portal. He'd proven his value in a P5 conf and was exactly what Purdue needed.
Hunter would have been an upgrade over every current guard on the roster.
Exactly! And both showed very high interest and Nijel Pack would be a Purdue player if NIL weren’t a thing. There was ZERO Painter could have done differently with either.

Which guards specifically that we offered showed no interest in coming here? I’m guessing you haven’t really looked at the 2022 offers yet.
Well that's even worse. We are at the point now where we don't even offer elite guards because we know they aren't ever coming here. Red flag!

Reactions: DAG10
Well no shit. PGs in Painter’s motion offense Aren’t tasked with creating open looks for others, breaking down the D, forcing rotations, or penetrating. That type of player wouldn’t fit Painter’s system at all.

PJ Thompson is the EXACT player Painter looks for in a PG. That’s the reason you shouldn’t be too worried about our PG spot this year.
So, what's a PG in Purdue's system supposed to do? Just pass the ball around the perimeter and hope to get an open look at a 3?
Do you think that's why Painter has landed so few elite PGs and put so few in the NBA?

So, what's a PG in Purdue's system supposed to do? Just pass the ball around the perimeter and hope to get an open look at a 3?
Do you think that's why Painter has landed so few elite PGs and put so few in the NBA?
A PG in Painter’s system is supposed to play exactly how PJ Thompson did. Being the ball up and then move to the correct spot as the motion offense is under way.

Im sure that plays into why no “elite” PG has committed here. Most of those types like the open offense that’s more high PNR followed by a drive or dish scenario. That’s not Painter’s system and that type of PG likely would not succeed in the system.

A PG in Painter’s system is supposed to play exactly how PJ Thompson did. Being the ball up and then move to the correct spot as the motion offense is under way.

Im sure that plays into why no “elite” PG has committed here. Most of those types like the open offense that’s more high PNR followed by a drive or dish scenario. That’s not Painter’s system and that type of PG likely would not succeed in the system.
Which is the issue some people have with the offense that we run. Why would we run an offense that negates the abilities of the most important player(pg) on the floor, in favor of arguably the least important position(center)?

Reactions: bonefish1 and DAG10

It is also the reason Purdue has failed repeatedly to advance past the Sweet 16 with any regularity as well...and, while I love PJ as much as anyone, he is not the EXACT player that Purdue needs....may indeed be what Painter looks for, but, not what they need.

I am incredibly worried, as, past failures generally had at least a capable PG...I am hard pressed to think of a time that Purdue has been in a worse position at the position...which, speaks incredibly loudly to "recruiting issues."

Reactions: bonefish1

Well, at least you grasp what the problem is...it is just the failure to grasp that it is an actual problem.

Again...Nijel Pack was only a candidate because of unique circumstances...geography and connections....not someone that Purdue/Painter actually identified and went out and recruited.

Did I miss Hunter committing? I caught Purdue's Hunter leaving...which is crazy in itself, but, don't recall Tyrese committing (or, even being close at any point to doing so). Either Hunter would have been incredibly helpful and neither was interested...for the exact same reason(s).

So you are looking at a guy that played a season and a half basically, a guy that has never even played there yet, and, a guy that never will...awesome...more so in that those indeed are the best guards Purdue has had largely in 20 years...again, without pointing out the obvious, think about that for a minute.

Which is the issue some people have with the offense that we run. Why would we run an offense that negates the abilities of the most important player(pg) on the floor, in favor of arguably the least important position(center)?
Never mind being the only program in the country to do so...

It is also the reason Purdue has failed repeatedly to advance past the Sweet 16 with any regularity as well...and, while I love PJ as much as anyone, he is not the EXACT player that Purdue needs....may indeed be what Painter looks for, but, not what they need.

I am incredibly worried, as, past failures generally had at least a capable PG...I am hard pressed to think of a time that Purdue has been in a worse position at the position...which, speaks incredibly loudly to "recruiting issues."
The only time in Painter's tenure I would say we were in this much trouble with our 1-2 positions is 2012(?) when Ronnie was running the show and we finished dead last. Unfortunately for that team we were pretty bad all across the board at every position. Luckily for this year, we are pretty talented 3-5 which is why I can see us winning 20-22 games and sneaking in the tournament.

We had the second most efficient offense last season, but we should change up the offense…?

Is THAT the reason we haven’t gotten passed the sweet 16 with any regularity? We going to completely disregard the Hummel and Haas injuries?

Every team program goes through rebuilding years. I’ve been preaching for awhile that we need to step our NIL game up if we want to remain competitive. There is nothing Painter can do about that.

Well, at least you grasp what the problem is...it is just the failure to grasp that it is an actual problem.
Can you tell me what Purdue’s Kenpom offensive efficiency has been the last 6 or 7 years? Clearly our offense is fine.

The only time in Painter's tenure I would say we were in this much trouble with our 1-2 positions is 2012(?) when Ronnie was running the show and we finished dead last. Unfortunately for that team we were pretty bad all across the board at every position. Luckily for this year, we are pretty talented 3-5 which is why I can see us winning 20-22 games and sneaking in the tournament.
The makeup of this back court reminds me of 2019 with a sophomore Hunter Jr. averaging 30+ mpg out of necessity.

2019-202022-23
Hunter Jr. (So)Newman (R-So)
Sasha (So)Morton (Jr)
Proctor (5th)Jenkins (6th)
Eastern (Jr)Loyer (Fr)
Thompson (Fr)Smith (Fr)

Fortunately the 2022-23 front court should be well ahead of 2019-20. We'll muddle through this season and in 2023 Colvin will be our next stud guard to make for a potentially scary good team.

Reactions: boilerball2021
Again...Nijel Pack was only a candidate because of unique circumstances...geography and connections....not someone that Purdue/Painter actually identified and went out and recruited.

Did I miss Hunter committing? I caught Purdue's Hunter leaving...which is crazy in itself, but, don't recall Tyrese committing (or, even being close at any point to doing so). Either Hunter would have been incredibly helpful and neither was interested...for the exact same reason(s).

So you are looking at a guy that played a season and a half basically, a guy that has never even played there yet, and, a guy that never will...awesome...more so in that those indeed are the best guards Purdue has had largely in 20 years...again, without pointing out the obvious, think about that for a minute.
You said elite guards have “shown no interest” in coming here. Pack, Hunter, and DGL prove that theory wrong.

No, I’m looking at Carsen Edwards (All-American), Jaden Ivey (All-American), and the guy who will be our next All-American guard.

Can you tell me what Purdue’s Kenpom offensive efficiency has been the last 6 or 7 years? Clearly our offense is fine.
And, it amounted to what? What did that translate to against St. Peter's?

The numbers were SO inflated by the blowouts leading up to conference play...go back and look at Purdue in conference games and post-season games against legit/quality teams...those efficiency numbers were not there.

Never mind the complete obvious...once more for that matter...they did not win anything of significance aside of a pre-season tournament with it, but, hey, hang a banner for being really efficient I guess offensively (while completely sucking at the other end of the floor...an entirely different topic and matter).

You said elite guards have “shown no interest” in coming here. Pack, Hunter, and DGL prove that theory wrong.

No, I’m looking at Carsen Edwards (All-American), Jaden Ivey (All-American), and the guy who will be our next All-American guard.
But Hunter had no genuine interest, and, DGL literally is not going there...for the reasons so many have already cited and that you somehow continue to miss or grasp. The ONLY reason Pack had interest was once again his ties to the area, and, his ties via Weber as well to Painter...absent those, he never ever would have considered Purdue.

Coincidence or not that Purdue's deepest run in the NCAA was with one of those two, and, that the next best chance likely was with the other (and, that its best chances previously included a 3rd All-American in the vastly underrated E'Twaun Moore).

Me...just being me...I might take note of that/those, and, focus on the importance of it...but, assuming that may have happened, it is the next step that is greatly lacking unfortunately....getting guys like that to actually come to Purdue...and, that is only going to be increasingly difficult now with NIL.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT