ADVERTISEMENT

CMP Salary Increases? Should Be a Final 4 Bonus...

I think I said something to the effect of if Painter were to leave, i wouldn't lose much sleep over it. Then you asked, who I'd replace him with. I gave a legit name with proven success and Indiana ties (Scott Drew) and you said that would never happen.
In addition to you, some of us have given him a list after he asks only to get deflective answers. Seems like he likes to have circular discussions and I bet is in his 20’s or has some ties to CMP

Reactions: bonefish1
It's pretty hard to say Purdue has more talent than IU in a given year. I agree that Hair Boy was overrated from the start, but Romeo actually had a very good freshman year at IU. Their team was trash, but he played pretty well.
Romeo might have been a top 50 guy, I don’t think he was a top 15 guy. No right hand and broke jumper.

Reactions: BSIT
Oh yeh, don't forget that Drew won a national championship at Baylor.. Just a minor oversight on your part. So, I would say his resume is significantly better than Painters.

Unless you're Scott Drew or his agent, you have zero idea whether he'd be interested in the Purdue job. None, zilch, nada. I know you think you do, but you don't.
Also don’t forget CMP is 0-2 against Smart who coached 2 different teams in those loses and the last loss was at Mackey

In addition to you, some of us have given him a list after he asks only to get deflective answers. Seems like he likes to have circular discussions and I bet is in his 20’s or has some ties to CMP
I’m 35, and Bonefish is the only poster who has thrown out a name of a coach he or she thinks is a realistic replacement for Painter.

You simply provided a list of coaches you thought would be better than Painter (which is what I asked if you). By all means feel free to post the realistic candidates you feel would be upgrades to Painter.

• Haha
Romeo might have been a top 50 guy, I don’t think he was a top 15 guy. No right hand and broke jumper.
Not exactly fair considering he averaged 16.5 points per game, but I’m not willing to spend time arguing for an IU player, so feel free to disagree and we will move on.

Reactions: mathboy
It's pretty hard to say Purdue has more talent than IU in a given year. I agree that Hair Boy was overrated from the start, but Romeo actually had a very good freshman year at IU. Their team was trash, but he played pretty well.

Even in IU's down years, Painter couldn't out- recruit IU. And quite frankly, that shouldn't have been that hard with Little Archie there. He should have been able to get the Indiana talent, but he couldn't seem to capitalize on it. Although I will say getting Kaufman and Furst was a coup. Painter just isn't much of a recruiter. And I don't think that's going to change, especially with NIL.

Even in IU's down years, Painter couldn't out- recruit IU. And quite frankly, that shouldn't have been that hard with Little Archie there. He should have been able to get the Indiana talent, but he couldn't seem to capitalize on it. Although I will say getting Kaufman and Furst was a coup. Painter just isn't much of a recruiter. And I don't think that's going to change, especially with NIL.
CMP isn’t an elite recruiter but he has had good players. My biggest beef with CMP is his inability to make in game adjustments and player rotations

And I will say that's less to do with Painter and more to do with IU. However, you will obviously not see it that way. No point in continuing on.

CMP isn’t an elite recruiter but he has had good players. My biggest beef with CMP is his inability to make in game adjustments and player rotations
I think what's hurt him the most is the inability to consistently recruit ball dominant scoring guards (like an Ivey or Edwards).
Guards are what win in the tourney, losing DGL hurts.

I think what's hurt him the most is the inability to consistently recruit ball dominant scoring guards (like an Ivey or Edwards).
Guards are what win in the tourney, losing DGL hurts.
Agree elite guard players are a must but how did it work out the last 2 tournaments?

Recruiting hasn't been going well lately which should not be happening to a guy whose been around as long as Painter. We have zero rivals top 100 players coming in next year, multiple guys coming in that had no other p5 offers, Painter was completely unable to land a transfer PG so we had to settle for a SG(who I at least do think will help us out a little next year), and our top 50 recruit just decommitted. Going to really need to step up his coaching moving forward to keep us relevant in the b1g. I've already accepted nationally we don't have much of a shot at anything with how things are currently going.

Both Loyer and Colvin are 247 top 100 recruits. I think 247 is a better source for recruiting rankings. However, I have some strong reservations about using any rankinig above the top 40 or 50 as a useful measure. Even that has proven year-in and year-out to be close to useless. Lots and lots of top 50 players go into the NCAA and are never heard from again.

:cool:

And I will say that's less to do with Painter and more to do with IU. However, you will obviously not see it that way. No point in continuing on.
If you want to put Painter up there as a top 15 coach, then he ought to be able to recruit like a top 15 coach.

He's not consistently even had top 25 classes. Half the job of college coaching is the recruiting. You can't claim someone to be a top performer when 1/2 of the job isn't at a top level.

If you want to put Painter up there as a top 15 coach, then he ought to be able to recruit like a top 15 coach.

He's not consistently even had top 25 classes. Half the job of college coaching is the recruiting. You can't claim someone to be a top performer when 1/2 of the job isn't at a top level.
And when you do have NBA players you need to do something with them

Reactions: purduepat1969
Hubert Davis has one year of HC experience and won 5 NCAA tournament games...my guess is that in 16 years, he will exceed the 17 wins Painter has managed...and, he was as unknown a commodity as there was when he took over at UNC.

Shaheen Holloway (in part thanks to Matt) won 4 games this past year at St. Peter's...in fact, he advanced as far in the tournament as Painter has managed to do so in 16 years.

I am not anti-Painter in any way, and, I am thankful for and appreciative of what he has done in large part, but, the notion that he has been some tremendous coach on a national scale is a bit misleading, particularly when it comes to the NCAA tournament (where it is very misleading).
Holloway only won three games last tournament

There is more to coaching than recruiting. Again, we aren’t going to agree on this. I’m not going to change your opinion and you certainly aren’t going to change mine. Might as well just drop it at this point.

There is more to coaching than recruiting. Again, we aren’t going to agree on this. I’m not going to change your opinion and you certainly aren’t going to change mine. Might as well just drop it at this point.
Yeah, who said there wasn't?

There is more to coaching than recruiting, but in college, recruiting is a huge part of the equation. Painter has shown to be an OK recruiter, middle of the pack in the B10.

Reactions: purduepat1969
There is more to coaching than recruiting, but in college, recruiting is a huge part of the equation. Painter has shown to be an OK recruiter, middle of the pack in the B10.
I'm moving on. A week seems like plenty of time for this discussion.

I'm moving on. A week seems like plenty of time for this discussion.

Ha-Ha......A week???? Very smart move as there are "discussions" that go on here for years/decades. :)

FlamboyantPlainAnemone-max-1mb.gif

Recruiting is lying, cheating, havomg boosters cheat,etc. Does not have anything to do with coaching.

Reactions: PurdueDave
Recruiting is lying, cheating, havomg boosters cheat,etc. Does not have anything to do with coaching.
LMAO. Recruiting is part of the college game. It always has been. I get it. YOU don't like it. That doesn't mean it isn't part of being a good college coach. You think John Wooden was just a great coach who didn't know what it took to recruit?

Don't take your ball and go home.
Do you think Painter is a great recruiter? I'd argue that he's an average recruiter, fairly inconsistent in terms of any consistency with highly rated talent.
I haven’t seen anyone argue that he’s a great recruiter. I think he gets more out of his guys than just about every coach out there though. That’s how he can have a top 15 resume without having top 15 talent.

Some coaches (IU for the last few decades) have had top 15 talent and not even close to top 15 results. I will take the great coaching over great recruiting every single time. Especially now that recruiting is based on NIL.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT