ADVERTISEMENT

CMP Salary Increases? Should Be a Final 4 Bonus...

So what is it? Top 10? Or top 15? You're the one saying top 10, not me.

I don't want another coach for Purdue. I want Painter to up his game. But I'm not enough of a homer to believe he's in the top 10 or top 15. He's probably somewhere between 15 and 25, which is where Purdue would rank as a program.

Better active coaches than Painter in no particular order:
  • Izzo
  • Beard
  • Few
  • Pitino (scummy, but better)
  • Pearl (even more scummy, but better)
  • Self (add to scummy)
  • Cronin
  • Bennett
  • Sampson (again, scummy but a good coach)
  • Drew
  • Calipari
  • Huggins
  • Hamilton
  • Matta
  • Obviously Coach K, Wright, and Williams would have been on that list as well.
I said from the beginning that Painter is a top 10-15 coach. Since you seem to struggle with that definition, that means he ranks somewhere between 10th and 15th of current coaches.

There is absolutely zero argument for Leonard Hamilton as a better coach than Painter. What is your argument for Cronin over Painter? That’s laughable as well.

Then you have the typical cheaters who have no business here.

1. Yes we are. You dumba$$ IU fan. You and "mathboy" would make good couple.
2. I would place that directly on Painter/Keady and the PU admin.
3. No they done. You don't know sh!t if you think that.
4. I blame this on Purdue as a whole.

I'm sticking to what I've said. This should have been a final 4 bonus. Make CMP work a little harder.
Hey! Don't drag me into this shit pile.

• Haha
Reactions: BSIT
No just a realist who has been waiting for a return to the F4. 42 years is unacceptable from the same coaching tree. Purdue doesn’t have to settle
If we were to replace Painter now, our next coach would have a better chance of being Hazel than getting us to the final 4.

Painter was a defensive rebound away from a final 4.

• Haha
I said from the beginning that Painter is a top 10-15 coach. Since you seem to struggle with that definition, that means he ranks somewhere between 10th and 15th of current coaches.

There is absolutely zero argument for Leonard Hamilton as a better coach than Painter. What is your argument for Cronin over Painter? That’s laughable as well.

Then you have the typical cheaters who have no business here.
Your definition said 10 to 15. I know what it means. That's why I said he wouldn't be included in the top 10. You do realize #10 is part of 10 to 15 right? And is also part of the top 10, right?

Whether they're cheaters or not, they're better coaches and have achieved far more than Painter. Some at multiple schools. Cronin has a final four/championship game and has had UCLA in the top 25 for several years. He's also a better recruiter. Hamilton is marginal. I'll agree with that. But I'd also say Gard belongs in the conversation.

Painter's a great coach if you want to get the most out of what you've got. Just like Keady. But it's doubtful either of them will be on the list of 40 or 50 best coaches of all time. Yes, they've racked up a lot of wins. But that's what happens when you coach at the same place for decades.

Your definition said 10 to 15. I know what it means. That's why I said he wouldn't be included in the top 10. You do realize #10 is part of 10 to 15 right? And is also part of the top 10, right?

Whether they're cheaters or not, they're better coaches and have achieved far more than Painter. Some at multiple schools. Cronin has a final four/championship game and has had UCLA in the top 25 for several years. He's also a better recruiter. Hamilton is marginal. I'll agree with that.

Painter's a great coach if you want to get the most out of what you've got. Just like Keady. But it's doubtful either of them will be on the list of 40 or 50 best coaches of all time. Yes, they've racked up a lot of wins. But that's what happens when you coach at the same place for decades.
You don’t get very much credibility when you say Cronin has been to the championship game (he hasn’t) and that he has had UCLA in the top 25 for “several years”. He’s only been at UCLA for 2 years. UCLA makes him a better recruiter. He didn’t do shit at Cincinnati. UCLA tried to get Painter after they failed to get Calipari before they had to settle for Cronin.

Hamilton can’t hold a candle to Painter. Laughable to consider him a better coach.

You have an overinflated view of what Purdue basketball is capable of. We have been very fortunate to have Painter and Keady for the last 40+ years. Both coaches have overachieved vs what should be expected.

You don’t get very much credibility when you say Cronin has been to the championship game (he hasn’t) and that he has had UCLA in the top 25 for “several years”. He’s only been at UCLA for 2 years. UCLA makes him a better recruiter. He didn’t do shit at Cincinnati. UCLA tried to get Painter after they failed to get Calipari before they had to settle for Cronin.

Hamilton can’t hold a candle to Painter. Laughable to consider him a better coach.

You have an overinflated view of what Purdue basketball is capable of. We have been very fortunate to have Painter and Keady for the last 40+ years. Both coaches have overachieved vs what should be expected.
Overachieved? Now that's laughable...

What I will say is that I'm happy Matt Painter is Purdue's coach. But there's no way he's overachieved.

And UCLA makes Cronin a better recruiter? Did it make Lavin a better recruiter? LMAO...

I appreciate your loyalty but we haven’t overachieved. In the late 60’s and late 70’s/80 both our BB and FB programs were some of the best in the country. There’s no reason we can’t expect more.

Reactions: bonefish1
Overachieved? Now that's laughable...

What I will say is that I'm happy Matt Painter is Purdue's coach. But there's no way he's overachieved.

And UCLA makes Cronin a better recruiter? Did it make Lavin a better recruiter? LMAO...
Our average here is so much lower than what Keady and Painter have given us. We will never recruit at a higher level than we have under them. They get the most out of their players though.

Lavin went to 5 Sweet 16s and an Elite 8 in seven seasons at UCLA.

I appreciate your loyalty but we haven’t overachieved. In the late 60’s and late 70’s/80 both our BB and FB programs were some of the best in the country. There’s no reason we can’t expect more.
Some of the best in the country? What did we do differently than the last 42 years?

A 2nd and 3rd place finish in the NCAA. The closest we got to that level was late 90’s/00 when the women won the NC, Keady got to E8 and we went to Rose Bowl
Lol the women and football have nothing to do with the conversation. Way to move the goalposts though.

So what is it? Top 10? Or top 15? You're the one saying top 10, not me.

I don't want another coach for Purdue. I want Painter to up his game. But I'm not enough of a homer to believe he's in the top 10 or top 15. He's probably somewhere between 15 and 25, which is where Purdue would rank as a program.

Better active coaches than Painter in no particular order:
  • Izzo
  • Beard
  • Few
  • Pitino (scummy, but better)
  • Pearl (even more scummy, but better)
  • Self (add to scummy)
  • Cronin
  • Bennett
  • Sampson (again, scummy but a good coach)
  • Drew
  • Calipari
  • Huggins
  • Hamilton
  • Matta
  • Obviously Coach K, Wright, and Williams would have been on that list as well.
Interesting list. 4 guys that I'm sure 95% or more of PU fans would never want as their coach (Bonefish might). 2 guys that are no better and might be worse than Painter. 1 guy with a foot in that grave. I know you answered the question, but this list is weak.

Reactions: boilerball2021
Lol the women and football have nothing to do with the conversation. Way to move the goalposts though.
Goal posts, weren’t you saying Purdue wasn’t a destination school and CMP and Keady were as good as we could expect? I was being generous by including WBB and FB had success during the same time periods. To make you happy I’ll only include BB which proves my point further. We have done much better in the past and 42 years is unacceptable

Interesting list. 4 guys that I'm sure 95% or more of PU fans would never want as their coach (Bonefish might). 2 guys that are no better and might be worse than Painter. 1 guy with a foot in that grave. I know you answered the question, but this list is weak.
Who said anything about coaches we'd want at Purdue? The list is full of active coaches with higher achievements than Painter. Maybe one or two are marginal. But you can't argue the results...

Who said anything about coaches we'd want at Purdue? The list is full of active coaches with higher achievements than Painter. Maybe one or two are marginal. But you can't argue the results...
Agree with the results, but 4 of those guys cheated to get those results. Would they be better than Painter if they weren't cheaters?

Goal posts, weren’t you saying Purdue wasn’t a destination school and CMP and Keady were as good as we could expect? I was being generous by including WBB and FB had success during the same time periods. To make you happy I’ll only include BB which proves my point further. We have done much better in the past and 42 years is unacceptable
No one GAF about womens basketball. Purdue got to the Rose Bowl one time.

We were a rebound away from the final 4 a couple years ago. We will be significantly worse when Painter ultimately decides to move on.

• Haha
Reactions: mathboy and BSIT
No one GAF about womens basketball. Purdue got to the Rose Bowl one time.

We were a rebound away from the final 4 a couple years ago. We will be significantly worse when Painter ultimately decides to move on.
Wrong on all accounts and BTW we have been to 2 Rose Bowls.

Wrong on all accounts and BTW we have been to 2 Rose Bowls.
Not wrong on all accounts, and I was talking about results during the time period you were referencing.

Would you have more respect for Painter if we had gotten that rebound against Virginia? I guarantee he outperformed your preseason predictions that season.

Not wrong on all accounts, and I was talking about results during the time period you were referencing.

Would you have more respect for Painter if we had gotten that rebound against Virginia? I guarantee he outperformed your preseason predictions that season.
Funny thing about that rebound - Had we gotten it, most folks not liking him would now be on board. But he'd still be the exact same coach. Same style of D, same motion O, same recruiting method, but he is now annotated as a FF capable coach. Amazing what one rebound can do.

Funny thing about that rebound - Had we gotten it, most folks not liking him would now be on board. But he'd still be the exact same coach. Same style of D, same motion O, same recruiting method, but he is now annotated as a FF capable coach. Amazing what one rebound can do.
And very good chance he would have a national championship, but 1 rebound definitely makes him a worse coach than he would have been otherwise!

Reactions: PurdueDave
Disagree. We went to 2 Final Fours in the 12 seasons before the Keady/Painter era. They are both good coaches, but haven’t “overachieved” relative to Purdue basketball history.

• Love
Reactions: DAG10 and BSIT
You know that...we know that...Purdue basketball does not, as, it has had literally 2 coaches since, and, they are extremely similar in nature with extremely similar results...none of which include a Final Four appearance.
Would you be fine with Painter as coach had we secured that rebound vs Virginia?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT