ADVERTISEMENT

CMP on Dakich right now

I will miss Eastern more than Haarms. I was over Haarms leaving his man to go chase blocks in the Tennessee game of our last NCAA tournament. So many uncontested rebound putback/dunks.

Reactions: klmLB
I think it's funny that you think you had something figured out. Most of us were just smart enough to not fan the flames on this message board. Nothing good comes of it. If you are feeling "vindicated", you should be feeling oblivious instead. From the night we stomped Arizona in Eastern's freshman year and she came on here and posted that her son would not be at Purdue next year, it was obvious there was a problem. That problem was Coach Painter's to deal with. Not yours. Any fan who feels vindicated in their harassment or arguing of a parent is a moron.
You nailed this nicely TC4. Thanks. I get a little pissed off that this is becoming an “I told you so” show. This issue is about our basketball program, and not about vindicating argumentative posters that call for certain kids to quit the team.

Yes I was an athlete, up thru high school. Then a noted hooper at the Co-Rec.

Still don’t see any downside. All the really good athletes I was ever around (not me) were uber confident and could care less what others thought about them.

I think with Nojel, the hindsight is the motivation for him declaring was full of downsides.

I guess my question is if it's only a positive thing and so smart to, why do very few athletes do this that aren't serious NBA prospects? (and I'm being sincere here)

Out of 14 Big Ten schools, only 11 players have declared.

My guess is if you aren't a legit prospect, you don't really get much feedback and it's kind of deemed not worth the time.

Last edited:
A few thoughts about all of this.

If there is any doubt what CMP's recruiting pitch sounds like, I bet it sounds a lot like his interview.

Fathers in the home is important. What self respecting father, that truly wanted what is best for their child, would not tell their son to pack his bags because he was going home with coach Painter?

Read that last one closely. I am not talking financial best for their son.

I have talked about maturity a lot over the years here. When it comes to transfers or leaving the team I only typically worry when it a younger player involved. This showed that maturity comes at different times for a lot of us.

I respect Nojel because I truly believe he is a great kid. He will find his way and in ten years I would bet he would tell you one of his biggest mistake so far in life happened in April of 2020.

Trust is hard to come by and you will trust mom or dad before anyone else for quite a while.

Ok, I listened to the whole thing very carefully. My opinion isn't changed one bit. In fact, hearing him chuckle while delivering some of the zingers about Nojel only adds to my belief that a lot of this was unnecessary and Matt probably should've waited a day or two to do the interview. In the grand scheme this particular interview will be forgotten, but I think it only puts his image more into the slightly out-of-touch, old school curmudgeon stereotype (with a Barnaby Jones reference too boot!). Lol, he is basically 49 going on 70. He didn't say anything particularly vile or untrue, but for balance he probably could've expanded a bit more about what he and his staff are doing to connect with players while on his soap box preaching about what is wrong with players today not named Carsen Edwards and Caleb Swanigan.

But this is Purdue. We're old school. He knows this is the type of talk that plays well with his audience and "probably" won't really affect our image with recruits because those types of recruits, the elite talents that don't want "tough love" aren't considering us in the first place. Moving on...

I think you may need to also wait a day or 2 before posting - I think you're blowing it out of proportion. This is not directed to any players not named Edwards or Swanigan. Purdue's had other guys declare early, and ultimately return. But they were still viable prospects.

You can declare Painter is some old curmudgeon stereotype, except he's actually recruiting better and more consistently today than ever.

What's also a big deal is getting a good reputation. He doesn't get it by Purdue doing some amazing job of propping him up, that's for sure.

Dan Dakich is on national TV every week and brings up how incredible a coach Painter is all the freaking time, even when it's not Purdue playing.

You get good reputations by other people talking about you. All of these pundits say very positive things about Purdue and Painter - across the country. When you hear people with no skin in the game talk about how great so and so is, it leaves an impression.

I think it's funny that you think you had something figured out. Most of us were just smart enough to not fan the flames on this message board. Nothing good comes of it. If you are feeling "vindicated", you should be feeling oblivious instead. From the night we stomped Arizona in Eastern's freshman year and she came on here and posted that her son would not be at Purdue next year, it was obvious there was a problem. That problem was Coach Painter's to deal with. Not yours. Any fan who feels vindicated in their harassment or arguing of a parent is a moron.

Yeah, you're a real prognosticator. Congrats on all of your success and being so smart...

I think you may need to also wait a day or 2 before posting - I think you're blowing it out of proportion. This is not directed to any players not named Edwards or Swanigan. Purdue's had other guys declare early, and ultimately return. But they were still viable prospects.

You can declare Painter is some old curmudgeon stereotype, except he's actually recruiting better and more consistently today than ever.

What's also a big deal is getting a good reputation. He doesn't get it by Purdue doing some amazing job of propping him up, that's for sure.

Dan Dakich is on national TV every week and brings up how incredible a coach Painter is all the freaking time, even when it's not Purdue playing.

You get good reputations by other people talking about you. All of these pundits say very positive things about Purdue and Painter - across the country. When you hear people with no skin in the game talk about how great so and so is, it leaves an impression.
This thread is already 4 pages long. Should everyone wait a couple days to post their reaction or just me because I have an opinion you don’t share? I welcome a variety of opinions and discourse. Fire away! You and I aren’t the public face of Purdue basketball.

This thread is already 4 pages long. Should everyone wait a couple days to post their reaction or just me because I have an opinion you don’t share? I welcome a variety of opinions and discourse. Fire away! You and I aren’t the public face of Purdue basketball.

You said Painter should wait a day or 2 to comment, that's where that came from. I tried to explain the value in these interviews and relationships. Painter has built a great reputation on his honesty and ability to coach a player who's willing to listen. This only amplifies it.

You said Painter should wait a day or 2 to comment, that's where that came from. I tried to explain the value in these interviews and relationships. Painter has built a great reputation on his honesty and ability to coach a player who's willing to listen. This only amplifies it.
Oh believe me. If this was my job and I was going to talk about clients I was just burned by on a platform that would be heard by other prospective clients, I would make darn sure I was removed from any lingering emotions. But we’re just idiots on a message board.

Not all honesty is equal. Do you tell your wife when she’s put on a few extra pounds? Do you point out to your boss every time he makes a mistake? There’s a time and a place for every conversation and a way you talk about other people in public. If you didn’t catch the disrespect I don’t know what to tell you. It was obvious he was still fired up over the Eastern news. Just not a necessary look. Go outside I’m of this forum and you’ll find others that share this opinion. In the end that’s all it is, an opinion.

Oh believe me. If this was my job and I was going to talk about clients I was just burned by on a platform that would be heard by other prospective clients, I would make darn sure I was removed from any lingering emotions. But we’re just idiots on a message board.

Not all honesty is equal. Do you tell your wife when she’s put on a few extra pounds? Do you point out to your boss every time he makes a mistake? There’s a time and a place for every conversation and a way you talk about other people in public. If you didn’t catch the disrespect I don’t know what to tell you. It was obvious he was still fired up over the Eastern news. Just not a necessary look. Go outside I’m of this forum and you’ll find others that share this opinion. In the end that’s all it is, an opinion.

I don't think he said a word that he wouldn't (or hasn't already) said to a recruit and their families. He's probably said a lot of these same things before publicly.

Reactions: Do Dah Day and BBG
I don't understand what you mean by "defend his position". Both Haarms and Eastern left on their own free will. It happens all the time at every single program. I don't see anything that needed to be defended. Now you will have coaches telling kids and their parents that Painter will publicly throw you under the bus if you decide to transfer. But like I said, I'm not the coach and don't know what is being spread by the Nojel or Haarms camps, so maybe there is some sort of fire that needed to be put out. I just hope it was that and not just a public venting.
delusional people are everywhere and I don't feel sorry for them. it never works out. stay humble and keep your nose on the grindstone and you might succeed or be delusional and let your own shortcomings boomerang you in the face. all these kids should be prioritizing their degree anyway.

Glad this is going over well (mostly) with the talking heads. Dakich was no surprise. He’s old school. But with not much to talk about, I half expected the Jay Bilas’s of the world to make a federal case about this.
Maybe I worry too much about impressing recruits. I cringe with some of the things Brohm says too and the way he berates his QBs on the sideline. But I’m a huge fan of both coaches.
Like I said in my original opinion, as long as he’s weighed the pros and cons when choosing his words.

Vindicated in my harassment of a parent? I criticized her grammar one time and then apologized and set her to ignore shortly after. I wouldn’t call that harassment. I wouldn’t call predicting a players transfer as harassment either.

Are you the same person as Ignacious McNutt?

Reactions: purduepat1969
You nailed this nicely TC4. Thanks. I get a little pissed off that this is becoming an “I told you so” show. This issue is about our basketball program, and not about vindicating argumentative posters that call for certain kids to quit the team.

Well I get a little bit pissed off when I’m called a moron, idiot, ass etc when I say something that turns out to be 100% true and then some of those same people that said those things claim that they saw it coming too but just had the “class” to not bring it up.

Can you not see where I am coming from?

Glad this is going over well (mostly) with the talking heads. Dakich was no surprise. He’s old school. But with not much to talk about, I half expected the Jay Bilas’s of the world to make a federal case about this.
Maybe I worry too much about impressing recruits. I cringe with some of the things Brohm says too and the way he berates his QBs on the sideline. But I’m a huge fan of both coaches.
Like I said in my original opinion, as long as he’s weighed the pros and cons when choosing his words.

You've made the "zinger" remark more than once, so HOW EXACTLY did Painter do that in regard to Eastern (or Haarms)? And how is any of what was said going to hurt with potential recruits? If anything, having read a couple of interviews with Ingram's father it may be helpful(assuming the elder Ingram means what he has said in the interviews).

You've made the "zinger" remark more than once, so HOW EXACTLY did Painter do that in regard to Eastern (or Haarms)? And how is any of what was said going to hurt with potential recruits? If anything, having read a couple of interviews with Ingram's father it may be helpful(assuming the elder Ingram means what he has said in the interviews).
It won’t hurt in recruiting. This will only help. Painter has had 2 would be seniors transfer in a month and imply that it’s because they want to play in the NBA. Painter had to do this and had to do this Now. He needed to set the narrative of what Purdue basketball really is and what really happened. Recruiting is nasty. If he doesn’t set the record publicly for what really happened other competing coaches will tell recruits what they heard was happening. I have been as big of a critic of Painter in the past , but not for this. Thank you Coach Painter for your interview today. It was one of the best interviews of a college coach that I have ever heard. He repeatedly talked about loyalty and what Purdue can do for kids who are. Parents of recruits eat that stuff up. I guarantee that ALL of the returning guys were ready to run thru a wall for coach Painter today after his interview.

“You want to be a Pro then start working like a Pro”. One of the best quotes ever.

Vindicated in my harassment of a parent? I criticized her grammar one time and then apologized and set her to ignore shortly after. I wouldn’t call that harassment. I wouldn’t call predicting a players transfer as harassment either.

Are you the same person as Ignacious McNutt?

I didn't necessarily mean you. I didn't document who the people were that had to make it a point to argue with her all the time but there were more than a couple. But you seem strangely proud about being one of the people foolish enough to predict it on here. I go back to what I said originally. You're kind of oblivious to what is going on around you if you think you had some sort of keen insight.

I didn't necessarily mean you. I didn't document who the people were that had to make it a point to argue with her all the time but there were more than a couple. But you seem strangely proud about being one of the people foolish enough to predict it on here. I go back to what I said originally. You're kind of oblivious to what is going on around you if you think you had some sort of keen insight.

There doesn’t have to be “keen insight” to be right on this. I do not claim any insight or private knowledge of the situation. I was simply one of the few that were willing to read the words on the wall when most of the rest were operating as if the words weren’t there.

Its not that I’m proud of myself for being a genius or that I think I was the only one that saw this coming. Trust me... MANY Purdue fans and alumni that I know had the exact same thoughts about Nojel that I do. I just feel vindicated for being right when so many on here assured me that I was wrong.

It doesn’t matter...this has been an exceedingly fruitless conversation and I feel that I do not have the energy to continue. I am looking forward to the new Treedless era of Purdue Basketball and its not my wish to spend one more minute defending myself against those that want to tell me that I am wrong for saying that I was right. In my opinion it makes those that are doing it seem like sore losers (even if it makes me a bad winner.)

It would be my hope that we can all now move past this and come back together as fans of Purdue Basketball.

Reactions: BBG and mathboy
Guess I’ve never been one to worry a ton about what others think. Hope he makes it to the NBA someday, somehow.

PS - I know you’re kidding but for the record I said from the get go Spegal wasn’t a fit here.
And I won’t mention his name till he plows us for 150 or more yards. Should be good for a few years. Jr and Sr years will be interesting to see if he breaks thru.

As much as it pains me, Dick Vitale knows more about college basketball than Jay Bilas. Jay Bilas has tweeted non-stop about 3 things since college basketball ended: Duke, Michael Jordan and his grievances with the NCAA. Mostly grievances with the NCAA. Jay Bilas is just surface level.

There doesn’t have to be “keen insight” to be right on this. I do not claim any insight or private knowledge of the situation. I was simply one of the few that were willing to read the words on the wall when most of the rest were operating as if the words weren’t there.

Its not that I’m proud of myself for being a genius or that I think I was the only one that saw this coming. Trust me... MANY Purdue fans and alumni that I know had the exact same thoughts about Nojel that I do. I just feel vindicated for being right when so many on here assured me that I was wrong.

It doesn’t matter...this has been an exceedingly fruitless conversation and I feel that I do not have the energy to continue. I am looking forward to the new Treedless era of Purdue Basketball and its not my wish to spend one more minute defending myself against those that want to tell me that I am wrong for saying that I was right. In my opinion it makes those that are doing it seem like sore losers (even if it makes me a bad winner.)

It would be my hope that we can all now move past this and come back together as fans of Purdue Basketball.

Not right. Not wrong. Just oblivious.

As much as it pains me, Dick Vitale knows more about college basketball than Jay Bilas. Jay Bilas has tweeted non-stop about 3 things since college basketball ended: Duke, Michael Jordan and his grievances with the NCAA. Mostly grievances with the NCAA. Jay Bilas is just surface level.

Jay Bilas is just an NBA jock-sniffer. Worst college basketball guy on ESPN by a long shot.

Great interview. Painter kept it 100. His response instilled confidence in me about him.

I have the same opinion. Nojel seems like a good kid but as many young kids do, he made a poor decision. He's walking out on Purdue so good riddance. Painter said it came out of nowhere and that he had some weird story about his phone not working.

Well I get a little bit pissed off when I’m called a moron, idiot, ass etc when I say something that turns out to be 100% true and then some of those same people that said those things claim that they saw it coming too but just had the “class” to not bring it up.

Can you not see where I am coming from?
Actually I can see why you’d be a bit pissed. I recommend you savor it with some nice single malt, or your favorite adult beverage. To do the I told you so dance exposes you to people thinking you might be a tad immature. (Who isn’t?).

In some respects you should crow a bit. I try to criticize the post and not the poster. I don’t always achieve that goal, and I know many on here never achieve it. However, I still got an issue with anyone baiting and arguing with a players mom on here. That said, she had no business being on here, but that does not justify anyone’s rude behavior toward her.

I like this perspective. I also like the term ‘treeless’. Made me smile a bit.

There were numerous posters here who latched onto her like she was some sort of demi-god, hoping to glean inside info on the team, like she was some sort of assistant coach. Those were the same posters who told others they were idiots for disagreeing or for seeing her for who she was. So keep talking about how these folks were so oblivious and you were so above it all...

so do you still think this? seems like painter disagrees with your assessment.

I don’t think that was a Painter quote. I don’t remember hearing that on his interview with DD. That was tweeted at 5:30 on Tuesday. As far as I
Know Painter didn’t make any statements on Nojel until yesterday on Dan’s show.

I sometimes enjoyed reading her posts on here. Sometimes.
I did have the opinion that it was never going to end well, with her coming on here to defend him all the time, (when the haters came out of the woodwork after a bad game, or a loss). We're fans: it's what we do (overanalyze all things Boilerball related, ad nauseam).

Her passion, and support for her son in basketball (and life) was pretty obvious (even called "delusional" by some). But I still enjoyed her insight; not as some big insider into the program, or as a pseudo assistant coach, but as a mother of a player who was directly involved in his life (again, some often said "too involved").

I think something that she said, in the last post (of her's) that I read, was a bit revealing, and should be touched upon for a little clarity. Just my opinion here, but...

She said several times (since the virus hit, and subsequent lock-down, Haarms entering the transfer portal, etc), that this unique situation (with the abrupt end to the season, and all the students being sent home to finish the term online), had provided a different perspective, and an opportunity for some serious introspection ("soul-searching" would be my paraphrase) for Nojel. Again, paraphrasing, (and IMHO), it gave him lots of time to think about his life, his game, and what he felt was really important to him. Others would say: "it gave her (and family/friends) time to get into his ear about his NBA prospects..."; I don't know, I wasn't there.

I do however, remember thinking to myself at the time that she was kinda saying (without actually coming out and saying it) that having all this time to think about his life, and his path, that maybe his priorities had changed. Maybe that his values or goals had been changed/influenced, by the real life impact that this pandemic has made on him (and many of us too); has made us all face. Reality?? Maybe?
Again, I don't know it for a fact, but, that was just the strong impression/perception I got, from that last post (of her's) I read.

The half hour with Dakich totally reinforced to me thar Painter gets it...particularly as how Purdue fits into the basketball world.
I listened to it this morning and frankly, it was refreshing to say the least. I'm tired of the "self entitlement" that some players think they have when they haven't earned a damn thing.

I also don't think his interview did anything to hurt the Purdue image and quite frankly seemed to do the opposite. His comments have been well received (even by critics) and I am ever so glad he is our coach. He is far from perfect but no coach is, but he is fantastic at what he does and I can't wait to see this awesome class he has put together on the court next season.

I don’t think that was a Painter quote. I don’t remember hearing that on his interview with DD. That was tweeted at 5:30 on Tuesday. As far as I
Know Painter didn’t make any statements on Nojel until yesterday on Dan’s show.

it’s not a painter quote. That’s what old boiler fan said. He was, IMO, treed’s biggest supporter and loves being chummy with recruits on twitter. As soon as the nojel news broke, he blamed it on message board guys who were just too hard on nojel.

I sometimes enjoyed reading her posts on here. Sometimes.
I did have the opinion that it was never going to end well, with her coming on here to defend him all the time, (when the haters came out of the woodwork after a bad game, or a loss). We're fans: it's what we do (overanalyze all things Boilerball related, ad nauseam).

Her passion, and support for her son in basketball (and life) was pretty obvious (even called "delusional" by some). But I still enjoyed her insight; not as some big insider into the program, or as a pseudo assistant coach, but as a mother of a player who was directly involved in his life (again, some often said "too involved").

I think something that she said, in the last post (of her's) that I read, was a bit revealing, and should be touched upon for a little clarity. Just my opinion here, but...

She said several times (since the virus hit, and subsequent lock-down, Haarms entering the transfer portal, etc), that this unique situation (with the abrupt end to the season, and all the students being sent home to finish the term online), had provided a different perspective, and an opportunity for some serious introspection ("soul-searching" would be my paraphrase) for Nojel. Again, paraphrasing, (and IMHO), it gave him lots of time to think about his life, his game, and what he felt was really important to him. Others would say: "it gave her (and family/friends) time to get into his ear about his NBA prospects..."; I don't know, I wasn't there.

I do however, remember thinking to myself at the time that she was kinda saying (without actually coming out and saying it) that having all this time to think about his life, and his path, that maybe his priorities had changed. Maybe that his values or goals had been changed/influenced, by the real life impact that this pandemic has made on him (and many of us too); has made us all face. Reality?? Maybe?
Again, I don't know it for a fact, but, that was just the strong impression/perception I got, from that last post (of her's) I read.

whatever their rationale, it’s still a horrible decision.
1. He doesn’t get a Purdue degree. Big mistake
2. He has to sit out a year. Probably the worst case scenario for someone who, already 21, has nba aspirations. The nba doesn’t like drafting 23 year old rookies.
3. Now he’s going to end up playing against lesser competition. Again, not sure how that helps someone who seemingly has nba goals.

It just reeks of being soft. He didn’t want to fight for playing time. I’d say that’s the same type of person that doesn’t give the team his all late in the game.

I finally listened to the whole thing and sounds like Painter was certainly blindsided by the transfer. Assuming he was also blindsided by him entering the draft again. The other telling part is Painter saying he felt like he failed as a coach.

I do go back to his comment about him asking the team how many worked on their jump shot as much as Carsen did the prior year and no one raised their hand. I’m sure that was when he realized the season would be a tough one.

I finally listened to the whole thing and sounds like Painter was certainly blindsided by the transfer. Assuming he was also blindsided by him entering the draft again. The other telling part is Painter saying he felt like he failed as a coach.

I do go back to his comment about him asking the team how many worked on their jump shot as much as Carsen did the prior year and no one raised their hand. I’m sure that was when he realized the season would be a tough one.
It's funny this whole thing really showed that we fans on this and other forums really have no idea what goes on behind closed doors as it were. I mean I think we KNEW that but it's really evident right now.

Also Carsen clearly has set the bar for the team going forward and that is only a good thing. That will lead to deep runs in the tourney and some really good teams.

ADVERTISEMENT