ADVERTISEMENT

CMP on Dakich right now

Being his usual blunt, candid self: Trevion beat out Matt for the spot, Nojel took a step back this year.

Also, "You're not a Boilermaker if you walk out at the end."

I love this comment from Painter about not being a Boilermaker. Exactly my sentiments. You walk out on your teammates at this stage, you're no longer in the "family"...

I love this comment from Painter about not being a Boilermaker. Exactly my sentiments. You walk out on your teammates at this stage, you're no longer in the "family"...
saupload_FILES_2f2015_2f12_2ffredo1.jpg.axdx

If I take a step back and look at things objectively, I think this was the best for ALL parties involved.

Haarms did get beat out by Tre. So, rather than use his final year of eligibility as a support role and severely limit his professional opportunities, he is going to a team (BYU) that will need/require him to carry a key role offensively. He wants that, wouldn't get it here and so he is going after what he can in his final collegiate season. I saw a list of the top 50 NBA prospects for next year's draft and Haarms is on the list (towards the bottom, but he's on the list). I think if you are a neutral observer, any one can see why this is a good thing for Haarms. He put in 3 great team building and supporting years for us. For that, I am grateful.

For Nojel, he has all the physical tools to be an NBA player, but lacks the confidence and skill. To me, I can't say if his skill level is holding him back because his lack of confidence is preventing him and everyone from even seeing his actual skills. I'm going to say it. Nojel needs a supportive fatherly figure in his life. I don't know him, but I've had my own struggles and know others who have similar struggles from a lack of a father figure. I can almost bet he did not have a father in his house growing up. He didn't have an example to be a man. He is a good kid who wants to do right. No woman, I don't care how good of a mother, can teach a boy to be a man. He needs a coach who he knows has his back unconditionally (like a father) and let's him play through his mistakes and then gives him tough love after the trust is earned. I think if he goes to a MAC type school with a supportive coach, he will man handle a lesser league and once he gains his confidence, there will be no looking back for him. I think if he overcomes his mental confidence problems, he could make the league. I do think his mother, at this point, is hurting him more than helping him and I don't mean that as a negative as she may have done an amazing job to get him to this point. However, she needs to let him be his own man and figure his own way in this world. His creativity is stifled with all the expectations. He needs to be himself and to play freely and aggressively. He will flourish and she will reap the rewards she is after. However, if he is trying to succeed with too many expectations over his head, he will not reach his potential.

Nojel and Haarms left without saying anything negative about Purdue and I wish that Painter could as well. These weren't bad kids who were setting a bad influence to a culture. They were 2 good guys who greatly helped this program, but in their last year, they would benefit to be somewhere else and it just wasn't a good fit for all. Sometimes things don't work out and it isn't anyone's fault. Just walk away and truly wish each other the best. I will be rooting for Haarms and Nojel ... and of course, our beloved Boilers.

Boiler Up!

Being his usual blunt, candid self: Trevion beat out Matt for the spot, Nojel took a step back this year.

Also, "You're not a Boilermaker if you walk out at the end."

Great perspectives on how Haarms and Eastern are looking at themselves out of context with the team and solely as individuals.
Couldn't find it on the fan but found it on iheart for some reason
https://www.iheart.com/live/1070-the-fan-6056/

This is one of those times where I really feel like I have at times underestimated and under-appreciated that Matt Painter is the head coach at Purdue.

I've been critical of his up and down recruiting at times. But he is a fantastic coach.

If I take a step back and look at things objectively, I think this was the best for ALL parties involved.

Haarms did get beat out by Tre. So, rather than use his final year of eligibility as a support role and severely limit his professional opportunities, he is going to a team (BYU) that will need/require him to carry a key role offensively. He wants that, wouldn't get it here and so he is going after what he can in his final collegiate season. I saw a list of the top 50 NBA prospects for next year's draft and Haarms is on the list (towards the bottom, but he's on the list). I think if you are a neutral observer, any one can see why this is a good thing for Haarms. He put in 3 great team building and supporting years for us. For that, I am grateful.

For Nojel, he has all the physical tools to be an NBA player, but lacks the confidence and skill. To me, I can't say if his skill level is holding him back because his lack of confidence is preventing him and everyone from even seeing his actual skills. I'm going to say it. Nojel needs a supportive fatherly figure in his life. I don't know him, but I've had my own struggles and know others who have similar struggles from a lack of a father figure. I can almost bet he did not have a father in his house growing up. He didn't have an example to be a man. He is a good kid who wants to do right. No woman, I don't care how good of a mother, can teach a boy to be a man. He needs a coach who he knows has his back unconditionally (like a father) and let's him play through his mistakes and then gives him tough love after the trust is earned. I think if he goes to a MAC type school with a supportive coach, he will man handle a lesser league and once he gains his confidence, there will be no looking back for him. I think if he overcomes his mental confidence problems, he could make the league. I do think his mother, at this point, is hurting him more than helping him and I don't mean that as a negative as she may have done an amazing job to get him to this point. However, she needs to let him be his own man and figure his own way in this world. His creativity is stifled with all the expectations. He needs to be himself and to play freely and aggressively. He will flourish and she will reap the rewards she is after. However, if he is trying to succeed with too many expectations over his head, he will not reach his potential.

Nojel and Haarms left without saying anything negative about Purdue and I wish that Painter could as well. These weren't bad kids who were setting a bad influence to a culture. They were 2 good guys who greatly helped this program, but in their last year, they would benefit to be somewhere else and it just wasn't a good fit for all. Sometimes things don't work out and it isn't anyone's fault. Just walk away and truly wish each other the best. I will be rooting for Haarms and Nojel ... and of course, our beloved Boilers.

Boiler Up!

Them transferring and putting speculation out there about the program is negative enough. I'm glad Painter is addressing this publicly and not dodging this. As a fan, it makes me appreciate him even more.

Boiler Up!
Matt said on the broadcast that he loves them both; said it multiple times.

We all wish Haarms and Eastern the best. I don't harbor any ill will toward them but it sounds as if they have an unrealistic view of themselves/are receiving terrible advice.

I share CMP's disappointment that Nojel is kicking away a golden opportunity in foregoing a Purdue degree.

These words make the fans feel better, but is there anything to be gained from them? This is the type of thing that other coaches will use in negative recruiting. I hope he is speaking with strategic purpose and not just out of emotion.
No he has to say something as a coach and defend his position. I mean coaches otherwise can use it negatively against you as well and probably worse.

Reactions: purduepat1969
Seth Greenberg is on right now ripping Nojel and his shooting or lack of.

"his ability to teach is as good as anyone in the country" in reference to Painter.

-enough said.

Reactions: purduepat1969
No he has to say something as a coach and defend his position. I mean coaches otherwise can use it negatively against you as well and probably worse.
I don't understand what you mean by "defend his position". Both Haarms and Eastern left on their own free will. It happens all the time at every single program. I don't see anything that needed to be defended. Now you will have coaches telling kids and their parents that Painter will publicly throw you under the bus if you decide to transfer. But like I said, I'm not the coach and don't know what is being spread by the Nojel or Haarms camps, so maybe there is some sort of fire that needed to be put out. I just hope it was that and not just a public venting.

I don't understand what you mean by "defend his position". Both Haarms and Eastern left on their own free will. It happens all the time at every single program. I don't see anything that needed to be defended. Now you will have coaches telling kids and their parents that Painter will publicly throw you under the bus if you decide to transfer. But like I said, I'm not the coach and don't know what is being spread by the Nojel or Haarms camps, so maybe there is some sort of fire that needed to be put out. I just hope it was that and not just a public venting.
Right but by not coming out and giving his side, then other coaches can use them leaving against Purdue by saying something like "see, he doesn't get people int he NBA" or something like that.

And if you listen the interview, he didn't throw anyone under the bus, he spoke bluntly and that is it. It all looks like those two left because they didn't want to put in the effort. And that is what Painter explained and needed to.

These words make the fans feel better, but is there anything to be gained from them? This is the type of thing that other coaches will use in negative recruiting. I hope he is speaking with strategic purpose and not just out of emotion.
I think it is safe to say that some coaches are going to go after Kaufman and Ingram suggesting there are problems at Purdue and those two got out. Matt will no doubt have to address this and hopefully the kids are mature enough to understand there are always players on every team that "feel" they need more minutes or need something specifically for them. It just happens...

Seeing all these CMP quotes on Twitter from this interview... I’ve never been more of a fan of him than I am today. Too much of what has happened over the last year had made me think Purdue Basketball was starting to get soft. I am glad to see a renewal of the tell-it-like-it-is approach and hope we never go through a saga like this again with a Purdue player

Right but by not coming out and giving his side, then other coaches can use them leaving against Purdue by saying something like "see, he doesn't get people int he NBA" or something like that.

And if you listen the interview, he didn't throw anyone under the bus, he spoke bluntly and that is it. It all looks like those two left because they didn't want to put in the effort. And that is what Painter explained and needed to.
I'll take a listen when time permits, but there's already been enough quoted in this thread to know that he wasn't exactly pulling his punches. D1 head coaches are PR savants. He could have stated things much differently and still got his version out there. But he chose not to, right, wrong, or indifferent. A big part of his job is to appeal to 17 year old kids, not 65 year old men. I just hope he always has that top of mind. I'll leave it at that.

I'll take a listen when time permits, but there's already been enough quoted in this thread to know that he wasn't exactly pulling his punches. D1 head coaches are PR savants. He could have stated things much differently and still got his version out there. But he chose not to, right, wrong, or indifferent. A big part of his job is to appeal to 17 year old kids, not 65 year old men. I just hope he always has that top of mind. I'll leave it at that.
You need to listen to it then before trying to pass judgment.

We all wish Haarms and Eastern the best. I don't harbor any ill will toward them

I don't harbor ill will towards either but I don't wish them the best either. The way I see it, both used Purdue for 3+ years and Purdue used them for 3+ years but the relationship is now over. They have no concern for Purdue basketball going forward and I, as a fan of Purdue basketball, have no concern whether they succeed or fail in their future endeavors. That seems fair to me. It's like you're breaking up with someone. Just have to move on and let them go.

Seeing all these CMP quotes on Twitter from this interview... I’ve never been more of a fan of him than I am today. Too much of what has happened over the last year had made me think Purdue Basketball was starting to get soft. I am glad to see a renewal of the tell-it-like-it-is approach and hope we never go through a saga like this again with a Purdue player
This one from Seth is particularly harsh, true, but harsh:

"I know Nojel Eastern he put his name in the portal and all that jazz. Let me ask you something. That guy played about 25, 28 minutes a game. Does he think all of a sudden he is going to change schools and he is going to find a jump shot?”

Yawn. His job is to win basketball games. He's been pretty good at that. I'll leave it at that.

I don't harbor ill will towards either but I don't wish them the best either. The way I see it, both used Purdue for 3+ years and Purdue used them for 3+ years but the relationship is now over. They have no concern for Purdue basketball going forward and I, as a fan of Purdue basketball, have no concern whether they succeed or fail in their future endeavors. That seems fair to me. It's like you're breaking up with someone. Just have to move on and let them go.
That's totally reasonable.

That is fair

This one from Seth is particularly harsh, true, but harsh:

"I know Nojel Eastern he put his name in the portal and all that jazz. Let me ask you something. That guy played about 25, 28 minutes a game. Does he think all of a sudden he is going to change schools and he is going to find a jump shot?”
Wait til Treed gets a hold of Seth. She'll set him straight.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT