ADVERTISEMENT

Closure- New March tidings

Oct 11, 2017
Sure this has been discussed. I'm ridding myself of baggage from March.
Worse 5 losses in your view come tourney

1) Ak Little Rock- prob because so recent but watching Dakota as sophomore fire huge 3 from corner 4 pt game. Their center drills 3 from corner on brutal bounce off rim and rest is history. That stung

2) Texas and Myers block crushing

3) 88-K State and Mitch R oh the possibilities

4) 2011- Blown out by VCU due to just didn't see it coming and higher expectations

5) 95- Losing Memphis by 2 as again like Texas five years earlier, tough pill to swallow.

Honorable mention- 12 Kansas(would have been nice),94-00 Duke and Wisconsin but never felt better teams that day so passable.

Out with the negativity and cleansing process complete. Boiler up in 2018! Just a enjoyable season regardless what happens and hoping memories stay from this group.

1) Ak Little Rock- prob because so recent but watching Dakota as sophomore fire huge 3 from corner 4 pt game. Their center drills 3 from corner on brutal bounce off rim and rest is history. That stung

4) 2011- Blown out by VCU due to just didn't see it coming and higher expectations

5) 95- Losing Memphis by 2 as again like Texas five years earlier, tough pill to swallow.

Honorable mention- 12 Kansas(would have been nice),94-00 Duke and Wisconsin but never felt better teams that day so passable.

Out with the negativity and cleansing process complete. Boiler up in 2018! Just a enjoyable season regardless what happens and hoping memories stay from this group.
I guess the 99-00 was the least hurtfull. I was living in the UK and had very crappy dial up internet and could not follow anything. That season is a black hole for me. Never happened.

2000 Wisconsin for sure.

Wasn't the best Purdue team, but the bracket broke open like the Red Sea with a Final Four (in Indy) on the other side. Got by cinderella Gonzaga and then lost to an average Wisconsin team in the Elite 8. Gene's last legit shot at a F4. I was on campus at the time. That sucked. Pretty sure I recall a crowd burning a couch or two in the street outside Cary.

‘88. Not even close.

Reactions: DG10 and *4purdue*

1st round losses shouldn't be on here.... If we're not good enough to get out of the 1st round. To me, the 3 that stand out the most as the worst loses would be
1) Losing to K State in 88 (mainly because I was there to watch it). Probably the most shocked I've been, I was sure that team was going to the FF.
2) Losing to Duke in 94 & knowing that was the last of Big Dog. That Duke team wasn't that great as only the 5 starters scored all there points.
3) Losing to Duke in '10 with Robbie sitting on the bench with a torn ACL & thinking about what should have been.
Honorable mention was the 00 lose to Wisconsin... a team we were much better than & should have made the FF.

I listened to the Wisconsin loss in the middle of the night on the internet (radio) in Zurich, Switzerland.I still remember how disappointed I was in that loss.

Does this thread bring closure? Or does it actively pick at old scabs and trigger old wounds? (I say this in a joking way, yet at the same time I'm crying inside). :)

These games have nothing to do with future games, so I'm just going to enjoy this team and the rest of the season as it happens. Hopefully, we make a deep run in tourney, but even if we don't, I'm going to enjoy the hell out of this team and each game we play.

I'm still heartbroken over our loss in January 1932. We had several players with the flu and could not seem to put the ball in the basket. Piggy was devastated, but most could not tell. That was the kind of guy he was. I was elated when we came back and crushed Illinois at home, where we played at the Memorial Gymnasium back then. That loss spoiled our perfect season.

Reactions: 70boiler
I listened to the Wisconsin loss in the middle of the night on the internet (radio) in Zurich, Switzerland.I still remember how disappointed I was in that loss.
If I were to choose a spot to be disappointed in, it would probably be Zurich! ... or Katmandu

The '96 Georgia game still sticks in my craw...

20080115__080116tubby-100.jpg

2000 Wisconsin for sure.

Wasn't the best Purdue team, but the bracket broke open like the Red Sea with a Final Four (in Indy) on the other side. Got by cinderella Gonzaga and then lost to an average Wisconsin team in the Elite 8. Gene's last legit shot at a F4. I was on campus at the time. That sucked. Pretty sure I recall a crowd burning a couch or two in the street outside Cary.

In my mind, there's no question this is the correct answer. That was one of those years where you couldn't dream the bracket would play out any better. You already mentioned the path to the F4, and the fact that the F4 was in Indianapolis. What would have awaited Purdue in Indy makes it even worse. The semi-final game would have been against a Michigan State team that Purdue beat 70-67 earlier in the year. If they got by MSU, the finals would have been against a Florida team that Purdue beat 79-68 earlier in the year.

The K-State lose was the worst, but all were painful! The lose to Wisconsin in the Elite 8 was pretty bad too given the circumstances. Looking forward to a brighter future!

The K-State lose was the worst, but all were painful! The lose to Wisconsin in the Elite 8 was pretty bad too given the circumstances. Looking forward to a brighter future!
Didn’t Wiscy beat Purdue 3 times that season? I recall thinking NO WAY they get the Boilers a third time, but alas....

Didn’t Wiscy beat Purdue 3 times that season? I recall thinking NO WAY they get the Boilers a third time, but alas....

They did I believe. That game to me is like being a Cub fan. 2003 Cubs get to WS and great but that team wasn't really a WS team in my mind. Had to happen last year. FF for Boilers that year would have been great but that team is not a great final four team either. Now this season and last year Cub's.........

20080115__080116tubby-100.jpg
[/QUOT[/QUOTE]

Wisconsin loss in 2000 was brutal. Not sure I'd say that it was all luck they were in the Elite 8. Team had 4 senior starters (sound familiar?), finished 3rd in Big Ten behind Michigan State and an Ohio State team who had to vacate that season, and were ranked in the top 25. Plus, as was mentioned, the Final Four was in Indianapolis (as was 2010 where they most certainly would have been if not for a certain ACL injury).

In March, Purdue doesn't just need closure...we need Fr. Damian Karras.
the-exorcist-1200x923-optimised.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT