ADVERTISEMENT

Class Size

KentuckyBoiler

All-American
Jul 6, 2011
With this last weekend verbals, and keeping Ennis in the total, we are at 21. I have heard 25 as the estimated class size for the last month. We have another big recruiting weekend coming up I believe. We have no DT's or TE's though. It would be nice to get another WR and T too. Do we have 4 spots open (approximately) or will the recruits signing in December not count toward the 25 that we are looking to sign?

Originally posted by KentuckyBoiler:
With this last weekend verbals, and keeping Ennis in the total, we are at 21. I have heard 25 as the estimated class size for the last month. We have another big recruiting weekend coming up I believe. We have no DT's or TE's though. It would be nice to get another WR and T too. Do we have 4 spots open (approximately) or will the recruits signing in December not count toward the 25 that we are looking to sign?
That was what I was trying to calculate as well, I can't figure out exactly how many we have available. Unfortunately for us I think we have to overrecruit somehow as I fear we'll see attrition in both the recruiting class and current players. Who knows what the real number will end up being but if we only have 4 open spots left we have to recruit at least 6 players for them I bet. Just a feeling.

Count on a SEC style recruiting class.

The mid-year guys can count againist the 2014 class, so there is 6 spots since we only signed 19.

Then you can sign 25 for 2015, with 3 oversigns.

So tehnically you could have a signing class of 34, but I doubt it gets that big.

Another issues is how many open scholarships there are to give out...that number seens to be in the low twenties, but there will be some attrition, there always is.

Originally posted by Bullwhip Griffith:
The mid-year guys can count against the 2014 class, so there is 6 spots since we only signed 19.
I had never thought of this, can you help me figure it out. I guess I kind of get it as the number doesn't count to the class but I don't understand how it matters what class they are in as there is still a total number of scholarships allowed? So it still counts to that number which they can't go over, I think it's 85 right? So in that sense isn't a scholarship a scholarship no matter what class it's in? I'm not saying you are wrong, i'm just trying to figure out what you mean as I've never thought of it like that.

Originally posted by Dr_billy_badass:

Originally posted by Bullwhip Griffith:

The mid-year guys can count against the 2014 class, so there is 6 spots since we only signed 19.
I had never thought of this, can you help me figure it out. I guess I kind of get it as the number doesn't count to the class but I don't understand how it matters what class they are in as there is still a total number of scholarships allowed? So it still counts to that number which they can't go over, I think it's 85 right? So in that sense isn't a scholarship a scholarship no matter what class it's in? I'm not saying you are wrong, i'm just trying to figure out what you mean as I've never thought of it like that.
I believe college coaches are allowed to sign 25 recruits a year, but mid-year guys can count against the previous years 25. So if you sign 20 in 2014, then have 5 mid year JuCos, you can count them against the 2014 25 allowable opposed to the 25 allowable in 2015.

The biggest numbers is 85...you can't have more than 85 scholarshipped players enrolled (not counting medical hardship ones) at one time. That's why last year Cason couldn't come in early even though he wanted to, because Purdue only had three open spots (Bloug, Barron, and Newton). Had Aloyis Gray left earlier, then Cason could have come in.

So Purdue took 19 last year (with only 17 still around) so I think they can back date 6 of them. Those seem to be the Gatorade Players of the year and the JuCos so far.

Again this is all my own figuring, so I may be way off base.

Are you sure about that only 25 a year number? 6 teams are already at 25 or more recruits.... I know it's SEC type recruiting here but I didn't know there was a limit on scholarships per year? 22 teams signed more than 25 players last year, but again, like you said they can back date players which is probably how they got away with it. I'm not saying your wrong, I honestly didn't realize that and wanted to bring it up for discussion.

Are you sure about that only 25 a year number? 6 teams are already at 25 or more recruits.... I know it's SEC type recruiting here but I didn't know there was a limit on scholarships per year? 22 teams signed more than 25 players last year, but again, like you said they can back date players which is probably how they got away with it. I'm not saying your wrong, I honestly didn't realize that and wanted to bring it up for discussion.
Big Ten rule is a 25 player limit with a 3 player exception if the team can document how it will get below the 85 schollie limit.

If you have a bunch of midyears, they can count toward the prior class within the same parameters.

It's almost like the NFL salaray cap...teams will say their tight against the cap, then sign a guy for 15 million a year for 4 years
3dsmile.r191677.gif

I think it's all about how you work it.

A few years ago, I think Auburn had a huge class and half were "Sign and Place" Kids...I think they called it that, where the kid committed to Auburn with the knowledge he wouldn't qualify and would go to JuCo and come back to Auburn in a few years.

ADVERTISEMENT