ADVERTISEMENT

Class designation - Covid year

FirstDownB

All-American
Oct 12, 2015
Has a consensus been reached on the class designations for players in 2021 and beyond, based on the "free year" given by the NCAA?

For example, if a guy was a redshirt sophomore in 2020, are they still a redshirt sophomore in 2021? Or are they a redshirt junior with 3 years of eligibility remaining? I prefer the former because it is consistent with their remaining eligibility. But the latter more accurately reflects how long they have been in the program.

Has a consensus been reached on the class designations for players in 2021 and beyond, based on the "free year" given by the NCAA?

For example, if a guy was a redshirt sophomore in 2020, are they still a redshirt sophomore in 2021? Or are they a redshirt junior with 3 years of eligibility remaining? I prefer the former because it is consistent with their remaining eligibility. But the latter more accurately reflects how long they have been in the program.
Or, you can be like me, and just worry about who’s playing in the next game.

Reactions: Inspector100
The question was class designation, not eligibility btw. Go look at the Purdue roster.

Is, and will be, a question of eligibility.

To you point, what a coach does with said eligibility is a case-by-case situation.

Edit: The NCAA has always addressed it as an eligibility issue, as well.

Is, and will be, a question of eligibility.

To you point, what a coach does with said eligibility is a case-by-case situation.

Edit: The NCAA has always addressed it as an eligibility issue, as well.
Original post said class designation. Try again?

Reactions: FirstDownB
Original post said class designation. Try again?
no need to try again.

I've researched and have been unable to find NCAA's ruling on the issue, thus, it doesn't matter what class you call them, what matters is eligibility.

When you peruse the NCAA's website, "eligibility" is everywhere. "Class designation" appears to be irrelevant. Doesn't matter if you call them Fr, RS Sr, or 2nd Lieutenant. The retain their year of eligibility.

Reactions: PrintersRowBoiler
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT