ADVERTISEMENT

Choke unchoke

Nov 24, 2001
So it was happening again. Great shooting first half, big lead against a top ten team. Second half: Shots stop falling, other team gets tougher, some bad calls, some really bad possessions. Ok the great team is gonna run by Purdue and walk home easily. Again. Purdue had not beaten a top ten team in 5 years , and lost eight straight to MSU.

Except this time Purdue showed some spine. Specifically Hammons, Davis and Edwards. They might still have lost but they stopped the bleeding and made it a game...and then they won.

Toughness, mental and physical won the game.

Now they know they can do it. Let's see if that confidence pays future dividends.

They hung in there. Once Purdue got it to OT, I liked their chances. They took a knockout punch from MSU in the 2nd half and withstood it.

So it was happening again. Great shooting first half, big lead against a top ten team. Second half: Shots stop falling, other team gets tougher, some bad calls, some really bad possessions. Ok the great team is gonna run by Purdue and walk home easily. Again. Purdue had not beaten a top ten team in 5 years , and lost eight straight to MSU.

Except this time Purdue showed some spine. Specifically Hammons, Davis and Edwards. They might still have lost but they stopped the bleeding and made it a game...and then they won.

Now they know they can do it. Let's see if that confidence pays future dividends.
trolling troll from troller town go home loser

You know, it's one thing for this to happen against an unranked team, it's not terribly shocking to see something like this against a good team.

MSU was shooting WAY below their average in the first half. We were shooting WAY above our average in the first half. It's only a matter of time when those are going to even themselves out more.

It's one thing to build a lead (or dig yourself in a hole) if you are playing just a bit above average or just a bit below average - and you're just getting beat or you're building a lead. Those are tough to overcome (or get caught up on).

But it's like the Rutgers game. We didn't play out of our minds really - Rutgers was just bad. We played our game, they played theirs - unless someone was playing "out of their mind", or just horrifically bad, it wasn't going to change the outcome.

And on top of that, I wouldn't really say our whole team was playing out of their minds in the first half - one player was. It was like the game where Robbie Hummel went off from 3 in one half - but in the second half he went cold, and we got caught up on (and I believe lost).

Reactions: punaj
Yeah that was against OSU when Evan Turner got hot in the 2nd half and we lost. Same game Hummel dislocated his finger in the 2nd half.

One thing I will also add….is that I'm surprised that Izzo didn't set-up for a 3 at the end of the overtime. He had 2 of his 3 big guys fouled out and the remaining one with 4 fouls. It wouldn't bode well for a 2nd overtime. Granted, they made the shot and tied it, but obviously gave Purdue an opportunity - and less pressure with a tie game (vs. being down by 1).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT