ADVERTISEMENT

Charlie Spegal at IU

Nah... blame it on Burke. He was the root of all evil. Now that he's no longer among the living, he's an even easier target.
I’ll never forget Burke’s appearance on btn defending hazell. He should have been fired on the spot

I don't recall that. What was he "defending"?
(FWIW, this forum's use of the word, "defending" raises some serious skepticism.)
I don’t remember if it was 2014 or 2015, but he appeared on the btn nightly show. The hosts asked about the state of the program and how hot hazell’s seat was. Burke went on to say that critics didn’t know what program building was and that the players brought in were missed by the ranking service. It was laughable

I don’t remember if it was 2014 or 2015, but he appeared on the btn nightly show. The hosts asked about the state of the program and how hot hazell’s seat was. Burke went on to say that critics didn’t know what program building was and that the players brought in were missed by the ranking service. It was laughable

Well... the best team we’ve had in the last 7-8 years was one that was filled with Hazell recruits

Well... the best team we’ve had in the last 7-8 years was one that was filled with Hazell recruits
Tiller won 9 games with colletto recruits. Was colletto a great program builder?

additionally, brohm had to bring in a lot of jucos and grad transfers to backfill the shit hazell left behind

Reactions: SDBoiler1
Tiller won 9 games with colletto recruits. Was colletto a great program builder?

additionally, brohm had to bring in a lot of jucos and grad transfers to backfill the shit hazell left behind

Just saying maybe those recruits were missed by the services. As our higher ranked classes started coming in our results have gone down.

Just saying maybe those recruits were missed by the services. As our higher ranked classes started coming in our results have gone down.
I think the thing that helped brohm with the hazell recruits was that they were old. The roster was junior and senior heavy those 2 years. In 2019 through now, the roster has been freshman and sophomore heavy. Big difference in physical and mental maturation

I think the thing that helped brohm with the hazell recruits was that they were old. The roster was junior and senior heavy those 2 years. In 2019 through now, the roster has been freshman and sophomore heavy. Big difference in physical and mental maturation

Agree completely. When you have 15+ starters who are freshman and sophomore it is difficult to compete with teams who have half that. A LOT of physical maturity happens between 18-22.

We should find out if Brohm is the long term answer over the next two years as his two highly rated classes are sophomores and juniors this year and will be juniors and seniors next.

Sounds like some of the criticism for "defending" I read on this forum.

Not sure what we would expect the A.D. to say, or how he should respond to an idiotic question like that. That reminds me of the mindless question from "journalists"... "how does it feel to get this win".

Or, "what did it feel like to (blah blah blah)".

Appreciate your perspective.

Really stupid questions sometimes deserve ... "laughable" ... responses.

Sounds like some of the criticism for "defending" I read on this forum.

Not sure what we would expect the A.D. to say, or how he should respond to an idiotic question like that. That reminds me of the mindless question from "journalists"... "how does it feel to get this win".

Or, "what did it feel like to (blah blah blah)".

Appreciate your perspective.

Really stupid questions sometimes deserve ... "laughable" ... responses.
Questions about the state of a program are far from stupid. You may deem them as such, but they aren’t.

Burke had long been antagonistic toward fans on Internet forums. My opinion was it was a generational thing. There are several posters here and elsewhere that are savvy to building football teams and programs.

him showing up on the admonishing fans showed me that times had passed him by. He probably should have been replaced after the hope hire went sideways. Purdue is too loyal and conservative to do that and it backfired tremendously

Reactions: PaBoiler78
Questions about the state of a program are far from stupid. You may deem them as such, but they aren’t.

Burke had long been antagonistic toward fans on Internet forums. My opinion was it was a generational thing. There are several posters here and elsewhere that are savvy to building football teams and programs.

him showing up on the admonishing fans showed me that times had passed him by. He probably should have been replaced after the hope hire went sideways. Purdue is too loyal and conservative to do that and it backfired tremendously
Asking if his employee is "on the hot seat" is beyond stupid, it's meteoric on the scale of stupidity.

Absolutely, and utterly moronic. But, that's what passes as "journalisming" today.

It's not completely apples to apples, but apply that question to a traditional boss/employee relationship, and any answer beyond being even somewhat supportive is a complete failure in leadership. You don't pull that sh*t publicly.

Praise publicly, criticize privately.

ALWAYS.

Anything else is toxic. Today and for future hires. Nobody worth their salt would want to work for someone like that.

Reactions: Chi-Boiler
Asking if his employee is "on the hot seat" is beyond stupid, it's meteoric on the scale of stupidity.

Absolutely, and utterly moronic. But, that's what passes as "journalisming" today.

It's not completely apples to apples, but apply that question to a traditional boss/employee relationship, and any answer beyond being even somewhat supportive is a complete failure in leadership. You don't pull that sh*t publicly.

Praise publicly, criticize privately.

ALWAYS.

Anything else is toxic. Today and for future hires. Nobody worth their salt would want to work for someone like that.
If course you defend without seeing what he said. Kudos

Reactions: wakeman2626
If course you defend without seeing what he said. Kudos
"defend"

There's that word, again. G*d forbid we have a reasonable, rational discussion about protocol, leadership, etc. And, that's even after asking for clarity on "what he said".

Morgan Burke is dead. And we have this. This makes zero sense.

This forum just goes completely off the rails at times.

"defend"

There's that word, again. G*d forbid we have a reasonable, rational discussion about protocol, leadership, etc. And, that's even after asking for clarity on "what he said".

Morgan Burke is dead. And we have this. This makes zero sense.

This forum just goes completely off the rails at times.
Look, the question was reasonable from the btn.

Burke copped a condescending tone and responded calling out fans. Bad look when mired in the worst 4 year run in a half century.

Look, the question was reasonable from the btn.

Burke copped a condescending tone and responded calling out fans. Bad look when mired in the worst 4 year run in a half century.
Look, a "hot seat" question is stupid from the btn.

"Condescending tone" is subjective.

Darrell Hazell's performance cannot be justified. That question was, is, and will continue to be moronic. There is ZERO substance that can be discussed after that idiotic question.

Look, a "hot seat" question is stupid from the btn.

"Condescending tone" is subjective.

Darrell Hazell's performance cannot be justified. That question was, is, and will continue to be moronic. There is ZERO substance that can be discussed after that idiotic question.
If there was zero substance he didn’t need to offer justification. He did

"justification"

It was a moronic question.

If you're good with your boss crapping all over you publicly, G*d bless you.

That's not how leadership works.
Hazell gets paid to have tough skin. I wouldn’t feel bad for him if burke said they discussed overall performance of the program and how to improve. Bobinski said the same for brohm. That’s not the course burke took. Again, if you didn’t see it, not sure why this continues

Hazell gets paid to have tough skin. I wouldn’t feel bad for him if burke said they discussed overall performance of the program and how to improve. Bobinski said the same for brohm. That’s not the course burke took. Again, if you didn’t see it, not sure why this continues

Tough skin is irrelevant. That's nowhere near the issue.

Leadership is the issue.

Not sure why you're turning a blind eye toward effective leadership, and the need to maintain an environment for current and future employees that is not toxic. Instead, fostering an environment successful people want to be a part of.

That's fundamental.

EDIT:

Asking a moronic question about whether or not your employee is on the "hot seat" is simply stupid. There's no good place to take this, from a "journisming" standpoint. Again, we're going with your account of this.

miss? We all may never know. My understanding was he was in the doghouse for getting arrested on drug charges when he was supposed to be asleep in the union hotel hours before the game. He might be one of the best RB ever to put on a Purdue uniform but we won’t know due to discipline issues. And i don’t believe there were any warning signs before this. He had offers from ND, Michigan, A&M, Miami, and 24 other FBS teams. Sometimes guys just don’t pan out, in this case Tirek made a very bad decision.
2 AM, busted with “a large quantity of marijuana”

2 AM, busted with “a large quantity of marijuana”
Lucky his a$$ wasn't shot dealing on someone's turf. It is only Lafayette, IN, but still there were 8 murders in 2020. Thugs don't punch nowadays, they just shoot.

I suspect that Tirek won't change his youthful ways. I sure as hell won't track him, but suspect this won't be his only run in with the law.

Should NCAA Clearinghouse add a questionnaire checklist that asks, "Will you be dealing drugs while on scholarship?"

Last edited:
The Spiegal stuff is ridiculous, always has been. He was a really good High School football running back, he had a great team and apparently was a year old for his class but he was damn good. Seems like a good man, no reason to hate on him like some do.

Reactions: wakeman2626
The Spiegal stuff is ridiculous, always has been. He was a really good High School football running back, he had a great team and apparently was a year old for his class but he was damn good. Seems like a good man, no reason to hate on him like some do.

No one is hating on him directly. What people are poking fun at is those who think he's worthy of a B10 or P5 scholarship because he ran over 145lb high school linebackers.

No one is hating on him directly. What people are poking fun at is those who think he's worthy of a B10 or P5 scholarship because he ran over 145lb high school linebackers.
PurdueDavie: The backstory is a pissing match between many on here and myself and New Pal Boiler. Most say, he'll never see the light of day to the field. I (and I believe New Pal Boiler) say they are wrong, they say I'm wrong...yadda...yadda...yadda back & forth it goes. I've see a recent report that he'll be a situational pass protector as he is a very strong player.
Hope that brings you up to speed.

PurdueDavie: The backstory is a pissing match between many on here and myself and New Pal Boiler. Most say, he'll never see the light of day to the field. I (and I believe New Pal Boiler) say they are wrong, they say I'm wrong...yadda...yadda...yadda back & forth it goes. I've see a recent report that he'll be a situational pass protector as he is a very strong player.
Ill repost what someone else told you

He didn't say that at all.. he said, after being prompted by a reporter to comment on Charlie, that Charlie showed good pass protection skills. That is a far cry from saying he is going to be a situational pass protector next season. I, for one, hope he kills it, but you are getting ahead of yourself on the self-congratulations.

Actually, what most (all?) have said is that you've been over-hyping this kid for quite some time, to the point of it being really over-the-top, and causing most people to question your objectivity.

That's really the extent of it.

Reactions: IUhaterade
Ill repost what someone else told you

He didn't say that at all.. he said, after being prompted by a reporter to comment on Charlie, that Charlie showed good pass protection skills. That is a far cry from saying he is going to be a situational pass protector next season. I, for one, hope he kills it, but you are getting ahead of yourself on the self-congratulations.
Indeed you did. We’ll see how it plays out this year and over the next few years.

Actually, what most (all?) have said is that you've been over-hyping this kid for quite some time, to the point of it being really over-the-top, and causing most people to question your objectivity.

That's really the extent of it.
All I’ll say is, Tirek Murphy really worked out well for us and was a great use of a scholarship. Oh wait…he never played a down and loved pot more that football!

All I’ll say is, Tirek Murphy really worked out well for us and was a great use of a scholarship. Oh wait…he never played a down and loved pot more that football!
This is what I (and others) mean.

It is absurd to connect Tirek Murphy to Charlie Spegal. It's flat-out imbecilic to suggest he should have been offered over Tirek. Over-hyped doesn't even begin to describe that angle.

This is why you are consistently excoriated on this topic.

It is absurd to connect Tirek Murphy to Charlie Spegal. It's flat-out imbecilic to suggest he should have been offered over Tirek. Over-hyped doesn't even begin to describe that angle.

Its flawed logic. Because one failed doesnt mean the other should have been offered.

Reactions: IUhaterade

Borderline Genius or insane. His #’s , former H.S coach and the same former D1 OL player respectively tells a different story. RB coach Mike Hart (a good RB himself) didn’t offer, yet likes his attributes as does the current RB coach Deland McCullough. The same logic you use to downplay him is no different than what you and many others would have trashed Purdue for giving Zander Horvath a scholie vs PWO that he got. Had Zander been given a scholie would you have complained then vs now?
I got no beef with you or others on this subject other than to say a scholarship is a crap shoot on how it plays out. I personally hope this young man does well except for when he plays us.
Have a good day and short week ahead.

Borderline Genius or insane. His #’s , former H.S coach and the same former D1 OL player respectively tells a different story. RB coach Mike Hart (a good RB himself) didn’t offer, yet likes his attributes as does the current RB coach Deland McCullough. The same logic you use to downplay him is no different than what you and many others would have trashed Purdue for giving Zander Horvath a scholie vs PWO that he got. Had Zander been given a scholie would you have complained then vs now?
I got no beef with you or others on this subject other than to say a scholarship is a crap shoot on how it plays out. I personally hope this young man does well except for when he plays us.
Dude, you just won't stop. Everyone hopes he does well. That's irrelevant. What's more, I would have never trashed the staff for offering Horvath. To bring up Horvath is also irrelevant. He has earned his way.

As to Spegal... Nobody. Offered. Him. That's even after all the hype.

Yet, we're to believe that you and your sidekick (TIC ;) ) are the real geniuses here, and it's everyone else (including all the people paid to evaluate him) who are simply "out to lunch".

Yeah, that's a big "no", dog.

You being on this crusade just looks really bad. Again, that's all there is to the "backstory".

He literally had not D1 offers (Ok, that might not be 100% factually correct, he may have gotten an offer from a school we've never heard of) but when he can't even get a scholie offer from the small schools in his backyard, that should tell you about what that coaches project for him.

Besides, what are his coaches supposed to say about him other than nice, positive things?

Reactions: Purdue85
He literally had not D1 offers (Ok, that might not be 100% factually correct, he may have gotten an offer from a school we've never heard of) but when he can't even get a scholie offer from the small schools in his backyard, that should tell you about what that coaches project for him.

Besides, what are his coaches supposed to say about him other than nice, positive things?
Army Black Knights an honored West Point offer. I think I get it. He and Zander Horvath both sucked. Is that what most are saying? LOL. I wouldn’t be commenting if we’d all just take a breather and let this go quite. The moment analysis and assumptions are kicked in my face, I respond. I’m tired of this thread too.

ADVERTISEMENT