ADVERTISEMENT

Charlie Spegal at IU

NVboiler

Sophomore
Jul 6, 2018
He was once a hot topic here. It's a slow time on this board, so what has happened with him at IU? He certainly hasn't set any records as some on here thought. So what is his status besides being a walk-on? I probably should be castigated for bringing him back up!!!!

This should be fun... did not see the field at all last year, scout team player. Would be surprised if he ever sees the field. He is no higher than 6th on the depth chart headed into 2021.

Note: Did not bring this subject up, but since it was asked, I'll answer.
Charlie Spiegal will see the field in 2021 per new RB coach Deland McCullough primarily as a situational pass protector. Not all world catch your hair on fire type of player, but a contributor nonetheless. Could be a check down pass outlet and might be hard to bring down.

Question to all you know it all armchair coaches that hammered New Pal Boiler and I: Who is better at this point in their College Career? Charlie Spegal or Tirek Murphy? If you wanted other New Pal players like Luke Burgess (which we do) and specifically to have head coach Kyle Ralph in your corner for other top talent, would consideration have been wise to offer even a partial scholarship to this young man?
I'll get off my soapbox now and wait for your answers.

Last edited:
Where on the depth chart? Also, you should talk to Kurt Freytag about being pass protector and getting a schollie (he didnt).
Not looking at a depth chart and don't need to. I read what the RB coach said and conclude he'll see the field.

He isn't Purdue's style (FB position). I get it. This is a big IF. If he proves to be more than a FB, and sees the field more, I'll be back to remind others that the assessment was correct. A two star 247 athlete can be as much or more worthy that a damn 4 star pothead & quitter! I'll stop my posting for now. Going silent again on him.

Reactions: SKYDOG
Not looking at a depth chart and don't need to. I read what the RB coach said and conclude he'll see the field.

He isn't Purdue's style (FB position). I get it. This is a big IF. If he proves to be more than a FB, and sees the field more, I'll be back to remind others that the assessment was correct. A two star 247 athlete can be as much or more worthy that a damn 4 star pothead & quitter! I'll stop my posting for now. Going silent again on him.
Coaches say a lot of things in the spring. None of it matters during camp and fall. If he makes the field good for him, but take the comments now with a grain of salt.

Charlie Spiegal will see the field in 2021 per new RB coach Deland McCullough primarily as a situational pass protector. Not all world catch your hair on fire type of player, but a contributor nonetheless. Could be a check down pass outlet and might be hard to bring down.

Question to all you know it all armchair coaches that hammered New Pal Boiler and I: Who is better at this point in their College Career? Charlie Spegal or Tirek Murphy? If you wanted other New Pal players like Luke Burgess (which we do) and specifically to have head coach Kyle Ralph in your corner for other top talent, would consideration have been wise to offer even a partial scholarship to this young man?

"Charlie Spiegal will see the field in 2021 per new RB coach Deland McCullough"

He didn't say that at all.. he said, after being prompted by a reporter to comment on Charlie, that Charlie showed good pass protection skills. That is a far cry from saying he is going to be a situational pass protector next season. I, for one, hope he kills it, but you are getting ahead of yourself on the self-congratulations.

Um, FBS doesn’t give partial scholarships, so, yeah, there’s that....

Reactions: PrintersRowBoiler

Murphy

Confirmation bias.

Spiegal still didnt warrant a scholarship at purdue.
I won't deny it. Clarification - won't deny confirmation bias. Difference is I believe a scholarship (partial) should have been extended. Back to regular Boilermaker programming.

Last edited:
I won't deny it. Clarification - won't deny confirmation bias. Difference is I believe a scholarship (partial) should have been extended. Back to regular Boilermaker programming.

He was a walk on at IU... no major program offered a scholarship, not even ball state. I think Indiana state was the only state school that did.

Reactions: Purdue85
Confirmation bias.

Spiegal still didnt warrant a scholarship at purdue.
There’s been many that didn’t warrant a scholarship at Purdue over the years that received one. How do we know at this point and time this kid is one of those? I’ll answer my own question, we don’t.

Spiegal had none and it looks like however many Murphy had was a miss by those so far too.
Back to the point. Spiegal didn’t earn a single fbs schollie out of hs. In the new free agent era he still doesn’t have an fbs offer. As I said 100+ coaches agree with me despite you trying to play devils advocate.

Murphy has nothing to do with this analysis. Should we have pursued a back other than Murphy? Probably. Should we have offered spiegal? F**k no

Reactions: bonefish1
Spiegal had none and it looks like however many Murphy had was a miss by those so far too.

miss? We all may never know. My understanding was he was in the doghouse for getting arrested on drug charges when he was supposed to be asleep in the union hotel hours before the game. He might be one of the best RB ever to put on a Purdue uniform but we won’t know due to discipline issues. And i don’t believe there were any warning signs before this. He had offers from ND, Michigan, A&M, Miami, and 24 other FBS teams. Sometimes guys just don’t pan out, in this case Tirek made a very bad decision.

miss? We all may never know. My understanding was he was in the doghouse for getting arrested on drug charges when he was supposed to be asleep in the union hotel hours before the game. He might be one of the best RB ever to put on a Purdue uniform but we won’t know due to discipline issues. And i don’t believe there were any warning signs before this. He had offers from ND, Michigan, A&M, Miami, and 24 other FBS teams. Sometimes guys just don’t pan out, in this case Tirek made a very bad decision.
Players stay at the Holiday Inn City Center in Lafayette, not the Union. Agree with the rest of your point...

Sorry, the guy isn't D1 caliber. His scholie offers (or lack there of) prove that.
The iu coaches aren't looking for ways to get him the ball (except as a tackling dummy in practice).

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: JohnHoosierr
That’s a big exaggeration. You think 100+ fbs schools looked at and recruited Tirek Murphy as an example?
You don't think Spegals dad wasn't sending out highlight videos to every single college coach he had an email for? You think his parents wanted to pay $15Ok for college and have their kid walk on at a P5 program just to see if he could make the team?
I doubt it.
Sometimes, a player just aint good enough. This is clearly one of those cases.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT