ADVERTISEMENT

Charlie Jones….

Did I say we should have paid Pack $800K? No, I didn't.

But the fact that we missed on Pack, we missed on Hunter, and we missed on a couple of others says we don't have NIL figured out.
Or maybe Purdue does have it figured out?! Sometimes saying no and to go play pro is the best answer. If a fool and his money (i.e. John Ruiz) wants to throw money at players, then form your own league, be added G League or own your own team since Miami is nearest the most scum of the earth player personnel ever. Won't question the player taking that huge sum of money, but I do question John Ruiz, Miami and NCAA for being so corrupt about it.

I'll watch a team of Purdue players that will form and play for their college vs "me first leagues" that will likely form if nothing is done about NIL now.

Did I say we should have paid Pack $800K? No, I didn't.

But the fact that we missed on Pack, we missed on Hunter, and we missed on a couple of others says we don't have NIL figured out.
it could also have been that elite PGs don't want to play in Painter's motion offense. His offense doesn't really showcase a PG's talents. Perhaps it had nothing to do with the $800,000 NIl. right?????

the guy paying Pack that money said he did so because he wanted to generate publicity for his finance company. it was all a marketing publicity stunt. Rather than buying a super bowl or final 4 ad, he wanted to be the first to put up big money in the NIL and get all the headlines for himself and his company. it wasn't Pack who broke the story about how much he received. rather it was all about that other guy saying how much he gave. this wasn't about some booster giving an athlete money. it was about a private business man looking for headlines, and writing off the expense as marketing for his company. How many more people are out there like him? unfortunately, there are a lot. How many more are like him in the Lafayette area ? I'd venture to say : 00000000000000.00000000000.

Does XXX have an AOC burger yet?

the guy paying Pack that money said he did so because he wanted to generate publicity for his finance company. it was all a marketing publicity stunt. Rather than buying a super bowl or final 4 ad, he wanted to be the first to put up big money in the NIL and get all the headlines for himself and his company. it wasn't Pack who broke the story about how much he received. rather it was all about that other guy saying how much he gave. this wasn't about some booster giving an athlete money. it was about a private business man looking for headlines, and writing off the expense as marketing for his company. How many more people are out there like him? unfortunately, there are a lot. How many more are like him in the Lafayette area ? I'd venture to say : 00000000000000.00000000000.

Does XXX have an AOC burger yet?
He will, if he can have the type of year that we are all expecting of him this year.

it could also have been that elite PGs don't want to play in Painter's motion offense. His offense doesn't really showcase a PG's talents. Perhaps it had nothing to do with the $800,000 NIl. right?????
This has been disputed here multiple times. His “motion” offense provides many opportunities for guards to showcase their abilities whether it is a catch and shoot, dribble drive, play off screens, etc. it’s not for everyone in particular “iso” type point guards like ronnie Johnson who just want to gun it to the basket without using ball movement to crest opportunities for scoring such as working around a set screen, catch and shoot, etc. painter does not recruit players like this anymore. Painter has a great track record with point guards. And Pack had wanted to come here because of the system and painters track record with guards. Regardless if you think this has nothing do with $800k you are in denial.

Except OSU insiders say he would have got 250k to play there and instead went to Miami for 400k. So PERHAPS you are talking out your hind end again...again

Reactions: pboiler18
Except OSU insiders say he would have got 250k to play there and instead went to Miami for 400k. So PERHAPS you are talking out your hind end again...again

I don't even bother responding to his posts. They're like reading a novel and many times make no sense...

I remember reading this but I could not find it in the basketball forum. Tough find.

There is validity to Wolegib's first sentence and POTFHBTFU's response. While not considering the merit's of Eric Hunter's talent level, you can see in his answer to Gold and Black his response.
it could also have been that elite PGs don't want to play in Painter's motion offense.
This has been disputed here multiple times. His “motion” offense provides many opportunities for guards to showcase their abilities whether it is a catch and shoot, dribble drive, play off screens, etc. it’s not for everyone in particular “iso” type point guards like ronnie Johnson who just want to gun it to the basket without using ball movement to crest opportunities for scoring such as working around a set screen, catch and shoot, etc. painter does not recruit players like this anymore. Painter has a great track record with point guards. And Pack had wanted to come here because of the system and painters track record with guards.

Per Eric Hunter's exit interview 7:53-8:34

BN: "what can you bring to Butler?...."
EH: "... first things first, just to win here, but also, i mean it was kind of, you know, for lack of a better term, a selfish move in that i wanted, you know, to play a different style of basketball and you know, kind of play a little more open and you know, a little more free to have a little more freedom at the point guard position. Just you know, be able to make plays at a high level."

I remember reading this but I could not find it in the basketball forum. Tough find.

There is validity to Wolegib's first sentence and POTFHBTFU's response. While not considering the merit's of Eric Hunter's talent level, you can see in his answer to Gold and Black his response.

EH: "... first things first, just to win here, but also, i mean it was kind of, you know, for lack of a better term, a selfish move in that i wanted, you know, to play a different style of basketball and you know, kind of play a little more open and you know, a little more free to have a little more freedom at the point guard position. Just you know, be able to make plays at a high level."
Brian missed an opportunity there for a juicy follow-up and instead turned immediately to a safe question about playing in Indy. I would personally have liked to hear more about his role and instruction on the Purdue team from his perspective and how it compares with his expectations at Butler.

I think the key here is that is that if you are capable of being a "give me the damn ball and get out of the way" level guard, Matt won't stand in your way of dominating the ball because if you are helping the team win and making game winning shots, he'd be a fool to stop you. However, the rules for everyone else, especially those at Hunter's skill level are to play within the system, move the ball, feed the post, etc. I think it is as simple as he knew that he would not be given the keys to the car like Edwards and Ivey and decided to try his luck at alpha dog elsewhere.

Reactions: Tommaker

Honestly, I said this back when I made a thread about KBrooks Jr and Syd Curry years ago and got ridiculed for it.

Now, my thoughts are more geared on he has a system that works. Lately though when we've had explosive guards. CMP has allowed them to play free and when he feels that guard needs structure to succeed he limits that erratic play.

Last edited:

His answer gives me flashbacks of treed *shudders in fear*. Hunter is a decent high major player. Nothing more, nothing less. He's delusional if he thinks he's getting the keys to the offense at any decent program, including butler. There's a lot of p5 programs he wouldn't even start for as a 5th year senior. While painters "throw the ball to the 7 ft center" offense isn't really ideal for guards, if you have Carsen level talent you can still do what you want for the most part.

Reactions: Poprudy
GK had a NIL deal. How many of us have GK apparel?

I think Jones wants to run back a kick or punt or both in front of the nation on Sept. 1st. And maybe, after talking with his bud AOC, he sees himself putting up David Bell type numbers on the way to the NFL... and maybe he realizes that a graduate degree with Purdue on the top impresses a lot more.... way way more than anything saying IOWA... unless you want to sell corn for a career....
Actually Purdue is offering more degrees dealing with corn than anything coming out of Iowa City. But nice try if you are trying to throw stones. Wait until someone poaches some of your players. It's only a matter of time. This entire NIL mess is the end of college sports as we know it and it will not be good for either of our schools.

Actually Purdue is offering more degrees dealing with corn than anything coming out of Iowa City. But nice try if you are trying to throw stones. Wait until someone poaches some of your players. It's only a matter of time. This entire NIL mess is the end of college sports as we know it and it will not be good for either of our schools.

I hate you!

• Haha
Reactions: Tommaker
I don’t think we poached. I think receivers want out of your offense. Purdue’s NIL is laughable…

You are now quoting rumors to be factual ? an OSU poster who claims to be an insider is actual facts ?? So you believe OSU posters to be truthful? and they no doubt said this after the fact, right? I heard an OSU insider say they offered Pack $5 million. so which OSU insider is telling the truth? My guess is neither. Don't bother providing a link or even a source. Just say you heard an OSU insider said it, so your word must be the truth

You are now quoting rumors to be factual ? an OSU poster who claims to be an insider is actual facts ?? So you believe OSU posters to be truthful? and they no doubt said this after the fact, right? I heard an OSU insider say they offered Pack $5 million. so which OSU insider is telling the truth? My guess is neither. Don't bother providing a link or even a source. Just say you heard an OSU insider said it, so your word must be the truth
No the 250k offer happened before he visited Miami. No way was he offered $5m and rejected it. Professional athletes most of the time go where they get the most money regardless of system or coaches. I don’t doubt the same to be true for college athletes.

Reactions: johnboiler123
ADVERTISEMENT