ADVERTISEMENT

Charlie Jones….

GK had a NIL deal. How many of us have GK apparel?

I think Jones wants to run back a kick or punt or both in front of the nation on Sept. 1st. And maybe, after talking with his bud AOC, he sees himself putting up David Bell type numbers on the way to the NFL... and maybe he realizes that a graduate degree with Purdue on the top impresses a lot more.... way way more than anything saying IOWA... unless you want to sell corn for a career....

• Haha
Reactions: GolfHacker1
so what did he get ? a two for one at XXX ? and free pizzas at Arnies on Tuesdays ? and a bachelor pad at Cary Quad ?

I've said 100 times Purdue had a solid NIL program in place. i also pointed out that 95% of the other NCAA schools have almost an identical amount of NIL spending as Purdue.

Reactions: pboiler18
so what did he get ? a two for one at XXX ? and free pizzas at Arnies on Tuesdays ? and a bachelor pad at Cary Quad ?

I've said 100 times Purdue had a solid NIL program in place. i also pointed out that 95% of the other NCAA schools have almost an identical amount of NIL spending as Purdue.
Lifetime supply of Duane Purvis burgers.

That's a lotta peanut butter.

• Love
Reactions: PumpkinShuckers07
If true, curious to know what his deal was as we really don't seem to be too active in the nil market. At least not on the basketball side.

I have to believe the real selling point / NIL was Purdue's grad school and playing for brohm. . He's an all BIG 10 return man who is also a receiver. Moore was able to show off his return skills. Iowa's entire season last year was based on their return team setting up their offense with great field position. he will be a welcome addition.

Yes, because the NIL thing with basketball transfers is going so well...
Do YOU think we should have paid Nojel Pack 800k and a car to come here? I’m don’t. I do know t think he’s that level of good. How many of our current players are worth a deal that size? How many players in CBB as a whole are even worth that?

Comparing Basketball NIL to football NIL is silly IMO.

Sure, Purdue is not on the cutting edge of NIL…but we’ve never had the booster resources to be on the cutting edge of anything. People suddenly want us to go from a mid tier P5 school to highly competitive in NIL based on what?

Purdue is what it is and will be fine football wise IMO when it comes to NIL. Can’t pay all 85 players and most of the big dogs will be too concerned with keeping and re-recruiting their own to have time to poach ours IMO. With basketball…better get those ducks in a row fast if you’re hoping there’s no drop off!

Reactions: Robinahood
I'm not getting too hyped about kick return skills. Been a long time since a Purdue team excelled in that area, even with some dynamic athletes on the roster in recent years.

Return game is all about having quality depth, fast physical guys who want to get on the field in some capacity. And coaching. The guy holding the ball is the cherry on the sundae.

Do YOU think we should have paid Nojel Pack 800k and a car to come here? I’m don’t. I do know t think he’s that level of good. How many of our current players are worth a deal that size? How many players in CBB as a whole are even worth that?

Sure, Purdue is not on the cutting edge of NIL…but we’ve never had the booster resources to be on the cutting edge of anything. People suddenly want us to go from a mid tier P5 school to highly competitive in NIL based on what?

Purdue is what it is and will be fine football wise IMO when it comes to NIL. Can’t pay all 85 players and most of the big dogs will be too concerned with keeping and re-recruiting their own to have time to poach ours IMO. With basketball…better get those ducks in a row fast if you’re hoping there’s no drop off!
So you think we will thrive ? I don’t claim to know. I am naturally cynical and was just so pissed that this came along when both sports were on the upswing

Reactions: purduepat1969
I'm not getting too hyped about kick return skills. Been a long time since a Purdue team excelled in that area, even with some dynamic athletes on the roster in recent years.

Return game is all about having quality depth, fast physical guys who want to get on the field in some capacity. And coaching. The guy holding the ball is the cherry on the sundae.
My main hope for returns is not to fumble, keeping the ball for the offense to go to work.

Our offense is good and fun to watch, and it gives the defense some time to rest.

My main hope for returns is not to fumble, keeping the ball for the offense to go to work.

Our offense is good and fun to watch, and it gives the defense some time to rest.
It would be bonus points if we started on the 40-50 yard line more often that not. Not a stats history guy, but we’ve seldom done this under Brohm or gasp…Haze. Haze had plenty of opportunities as we were shell shocked by 1st Half.

Reactions: Riveting-
It would be bonus points if we started on the 40-50 yard line more often that not. Not a stats history guy, but we’ve seldom done this under Brohm or gasp…Haze. Haze had plenty of opportunities as we were shell shocked by 1st Half.
Hazell had 2 of the best kick returners in school history in mostert and hunt. It didn’t matter since shoop was oc

Hazell had 2 of the best kick returners in school history in mostert and hunt. It didn’t matter since shoop was oc
That is true. Forgot so much due to the Haze. It is understandable that I forgot as Schoop was 2-3 yards w/lateral passes and a cloud of dust. I’m not sure his playbook had 7-10 yard passes in it.

Last edited:
Moore was awesome as a return man his freshman season. there were many people including myself that said stop using moore on returns because he's too valuable as a receiver. i remember that northwestern game. i believe charlie could thrive at purdue.

I do remember last year. Iowa's offense wasn't that great, but always had good field position and usually was able to convert into some type of score. Iowa's offense wasn't usually pinned deep and didn't make many mistakes. the games they lost were when the their return game didn't give their offense good field position. i think it would be great if Purdue started every possession at its 35 yard line. i also suspect Charlie has good hands, and also good intelligence with experience not to make mistakes on punt returns.

I actually really like this addition. No, he's not some 5 star stuud. But he's a player that All BIG 10 as a return man. and he fills a huge void on our team.

and yes, if he has any friends that play offensive line at Iowa, I'll welcome them too.

Reactions: Tommaker

disagree. It is the guy with the ball that has to fearlessly run forward at top speed waiting/hoping a last second hole opens up... if not, he gets crushed. Devin Hester had it. Few do.

Last edited:
disagree. It is the guy with the ball that has to fearlessly run forward at top speed waiting/hoping a last minute hole opens up... if not, he gets crushed. Devin Hester had it. Few do.
I cannot begin to count how many times our return man was met with 2 unblocked defenders inside the 20.

Reactions: POTFHBTFU
GK had a NIL deal. How many of us have GK apparel?

I think Jones wants to run back a kick or punt or both in front of the nation on Sept. 1st. And maybe, after talking with his bud AOC, he sees himself putting up David Bell type numbers on the way to the NFL... and maybe he realizes that a graduate degree with Purdue on the top impresses a lot more.... way way more than anything saying IOWA... unless you want to sell corn for a career....
Wait, you still go to school for an education?

Sorry but for me a lifetime supply was that first one. It was an experience I do not feel the need to repeat. I love chocolate and lemonade, just not together. Same with PB and burgers.
Duane Purvis was best when hammered! :) Had one once when sober and it was ok. I'd still get one again since it is unique.

The Nigel Pack thing is ridiculous. I wanted him at Purdue as much as the next guy, but $800k? I’m not real well versed on things NIL but I don’t think the return on investment from this deal, rather it’s wins or revenue , is going to be worth to whoever paid this player

Sorry but for me a lifetime supply was that first one. It was an experience I do not feel the need to repeat. I love chocolate and lemonade, just not together. Same with PB and burgers.
Same here. It was as nasty as I imagined. One of my roommates loved it, but that’s the same guy who liked bacon on his PBJ and always needed a peanut butter sandwich to dip in his chili. Triple-barf!

XXX was great for breakfast and burgers sans PB.

Reactions: pboiler18
I cannot begin to count how many times our return man was met with 2 unblocked defenders inside the 20.
Ya that is on the ball carrier. That running at half speed looking for a hole never works. Never, ever. Kicks that go all the way are almost always the returner blasting by some guy on the other side of a blocker after a cutback mixes up the pursuit. Sheffield has no clue where to go and what to do. Jones might.

Ya that is on the ball carrier. That running at half speed looking for a hole never works. Never, ever. Kicks that go all the way are almost always the returner blasting by some guy on the other side of a blocker after a cutback mixes up the pursuit. Sheffield has no clue where to go and what to do. Jones might.
running sideways is proof the returner doesn't know what to do or lacks the courage that is needed in this position. Bring it upfield at full speed and hope something opens up at the last second.

Did I say we should have paid Pack $800K? No, I didn't.

But the fact that we missed on Pack, we missed on Hunter, and we missed on a couple of others says we don't have NIL figured out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT