ADVERTISEMENT

Charleston Tourney

anyone heading down to this next week? Wife and I are flying in Thursday morning. Hopefully weather will cooperate. Looking forward to seeing the team in person
Gave it some thought, but a few conflicts. Will be at the football game and hope I can see both teams play live

Yes we do, ordered them directly off the Charleston Athletics website a month or so back. Just says early bird-lower level. My thought is its first come first serve for seating

Yes we do, ordered them directly off the Charleston Athletics website a month or so back. Just says early bird-lower level. My thought is its first come first serve for seating
Yes it is first come first serve. Ticket only designates the level of the arena you can sit in. If you've never been to Charleston you're in for a treat.

Reactions: BoilerinLouisville
I live in charleston and will be going to at the very least the Thursday game with my 2 year old.

For any of you that are coming in it is a very good venue. Small, located right in the heart of downtown, not a bad seat in the house. If you havent been to Charleston you are going to love everything but the traffic.

So if I buy tickets the day of, are those still first-come/first serve?

Or do you have to buy those in advance.

So if I buy tickets the day of, are those still first-come/first serve?

Or do you have to buy those in advance.
There is no reserved seating. Only pricing difference is in what level of the arena you can sit in.

NJM, the venue is like a big high school gym. I wouldn't worry about the first come first serve seating. Tickets have sold a lot faster this year than in years past. For anyone who is coming you will like it, good place to watch a game.

I live in charleston and will be going to at the very least the Thursday game with my 2 year old.

For any of you that are coming in it is a very good venue. Small, located right in the heart of downtown, not a bad seat in the house. If you havent been to Charleston you are going to love everything but the traffic.
Well I’m heading down there Thur looking forward to some sight seeing especially Saturday since the team don’t play that day. What restaurants u recommend or places I can go in that historic area. I’m so ready to watch them boys ball out.

Reactions: Schnelk and Mgkcbb
Well I’m heading down there Thur looking forward to some sight seeing especially Saturday since the team don’t play that day. What restaurants u recommend or places I can go in that historic area. I’m so ready to watch them boys ball out.
Hank's , Pier 101, and Anson's. Hank's is big w/ the locals and I always found the Local's fave is better than oh this was on Triple D or that was featured on Food Paradise.

Looks like lower section Friday session is sold out. So I guess hope the scalpers are out.

As far as food it depends on what you like.

Downtown:
Barbeque- home team (smoked wings, brisket tacos and the nachos are amazing)
Seafood - I really like Coast, pearlz or blossom, fleet landing (Not a huge fan of hanks)
Other - tattooed moose, taco boy, rarebit
Bars - closed for business, vendue roof top, blind tiger, revelry

Outside of downtown:
Poes on Sullivans island for great burgers
Bowens island - probably my favorite seafood restaurant down here
Early bird dinner- killer chicken and waffles
Triangle - good bar type food

Things to do -
Ghost tours
Haunted jail tour
Visit the market downtown
Walk east bay, king street, the battery, etc... downtown
Walk the ravenel bridge
Visit one of the plantations
Go to one of the beaches sullivans island, isle of palms or folly

Once you are here you will see it is a smaller town with tons of restaurants, bars and things to see or do. I would avoid hymans seafood it is very close to the arena but not very good.

Plan to be there for the duration and get some golf in too. Hope the gym is jammed with Gold and Black. Boiler up!

Hank's , Pier 101, and Anson's. Hank's is big w/ the locals and I always found the Local's fave is better than oh this was on Triple D or that was featured on Food Paradise.
I live in Charleston as well (Mt Pleasant). Actually going to Hanks tonight. It’s my favorite restaurant in Cton. Other recs: SNOB, Macintosh, Poogans Porch, Amen Oyster bar, The Ordinary, Home Team downtown or Sullivan’s Island.
Weather will not be the best next week but you should do a horse carriage tour, take a walk along the waterfront park and battery, if you want a good workout, walk the Ravenel bridge. Cton is a great walking city.

Going down for Thursday, Friday games with my 16 year old. First time I've pulled him from school for anything but sickness but it's worth it with our Boilers so close. He's pumped. Can't stay for the Sunday games. Have tickets at will call from a friend that works for ESPN.

Downtown:
Seafood - I really like Coast, pearlz or blossom, fleet landing (Not a huge fan of hanks)

Outside of downtown:

Things to do -
Ghost tours
Haunted jail tour
Walk the ravenel bridge

Once you are here you will see it is a smaller town with tons of restaurants, bars and things to see or do. I would avoid hymans seafood it is very close to the arena but not very good.

Definitely sounds like a better place to visit when the beach is going. Not a great list of activities. But the basketball should be fun

Downtown:

Outside of downtown:

Things to do -
Ghost tours
Haunted jail tour
Walk the ravenel bridge

Thanks for the list. I’m excited to see the city.

Definitely sounds like a better place to visit when the beach is going. Not a great list of activities. But the basketball should be fun
Charleston proper doesn’t have a beach. It’s a peninsula that sits in the middle of a harbor. For a beach, You need to go to Isle of Palms, Sullivan’s or Folly.

Patriots Point is another great place to visit, tour an aircraft carrier, battleship and sub.

Charleston is the perfect place for a weekend trip. It's all about the weather - summer is dreadful to be in the city and still even dreadful on the beach (the water won't even cool you down). While the weather doesn't look spectacular for next week, should be good to be exploring the city which is Charleston's best asset. If you don't like history, probably won't find it terribly interesting. The College of Charleston campus is also worth the stroll.

Not a lot of indoor activities - the aquarium is pretty good if you have kids. But there's plenty of places to eat. If you're looking for a nice Southern dinner one night, the "classics" are: Magnolias, Poogans Porch, Slightly North of Broad (SNOB), and High Cotton. Plenty of other great places - many great newer places, but those are where the traditionalists would send you.

These are some of the things we enjoy while visiting Charleston.

Charleston
  • Ghost & Graveyard tours
  • Carriage tours
  • Just walking around the Marketplace and churches
  • The Battery
  • Swings at Waterfront Park
  • Rainbow Row
  • Jestine's Kitchen
  • Poogan's Porch
  • Boxcar Betty's
  • Magnolia's
  • Kaminsky's Dessert Bar
  • Fort Sumter
Mt. Pleasant
  • Jack's Cosmic Dogs
  • Fort Moultrie
  • Aircraft carrier
  • Page's Okra Grill
  • Jack's Cosmic Dogs (listed twice, because I try to go twice each trip)
Sullivan's Island
  • Poe's Tavern

Always enjoyed the South End Brewery and Dixie Supply Bakery & Cafe but noticed both were gone when I was in Charleston last weekend.

I've always favored Savanah over Charleston, but both cities are great places with nice downtown areas.

I've always favored Savanah over Charleston, but both cities are great places with nice downtown areas.
It’s funny you mention that because I have a hard time differentiating the two. I don’t spend a lot of time down in that part of the country but I combine them both in my memory as one city.

I recommend:

Tattooed Moose for burgers and such.....good prices and food

Pearlz happy hour oysters, shrimp and drinks.....5 to 7 and worth it either downtown or west ashley

Boiler Up!

These are some of the things we enjoy while visiting Charleston.

Charleston
  • Ghost & Graveyard tours
  • Carriage tours
  • Just walking around the Marketplace and churches
  • The Battery
  • Swings at Waterfront Park
  • Rainbow Row
  • Jestine's Kitchen
  • Poogan's Porch
  • Boxcar Betty's
  • Magnolia's
  • Kaminsky's Dessert Bar
  • Fort Sumter
Mt. Pleasant
  • Jack's Cosmic Dogs
  • Fort Moultrie
  • Aircraft carrier
  • Page's Okra Grill
  • Jack's Cosmic Dogs (listed twice, because I try to go twice each trip)
Sullivan's Island
  • Poe's Tavern

Always enjoyed the South End Brewery and Dixie Supply Bakery & Cafe but noticed both were gone when I was in Charleston last weekend.

I'll 2nd Jestine's. If anyone visiting for the tourney likes Southern food and are looking for a reasonably priced meal, I really enjoyed Jestine's when I visited a couple years ago. Fried Chicken, Mac and Cheese, Pecan Pie washed down with some Sweet Tea. Yum.

A lot of really nice restaurants in downtown Charleston, but some can be a little pricey to eat at for every meal if you are on a budget.

Reactions: jberry5
I recommend:

Tattooed Moose for burgers and such.....good prices and food

Pearlz happy hour oysters, shrimp and drinks.....5 to 7 and worth it either downtown or west ashley

Boiler Up!

I'm a huge fan of the Moose. The duck fat fries with the roasted garlic are ridiculous. Place is a total dive but the food is good and PBR tall boys are cold.

Ill be there for the Friday games with my youngest for his first Purdue bball game. I'm so excited! I live in Columbia SC so I don't get a chance to see Purdue in person much. Got the tix already and plan to surprise my son that morning. He'll be pumped!

What a great Dad!!! Boiler Up!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT