ADVERTISEMENT

Celebration be like...

Jan 25, 2011
So lemme understand,

Their FG kicker can prance around like a Reindeer drunk on Everclear but DJK Jr is flagged for ... actually I do not know because I didn't see DJ acting like a Reindeer doing a Tijuana Donkey Show.

BTW, congrats to EMU and the kid who made the GW kick.

Yes, disappointing but it's not going to ruin the rest of my Saturday...

Just a terrible and dumb rule.

So lemme understand,

Their FG kicker can prance around like a Reindeer drunk on Everclear but DJK Jr is flagged for ... actually I do not know because I didn't see DJ acting like a Reindeer doing a Tijuana Donkey Show.

BTW, congrats to EMU and the kid who made the GW kick.

Yes, I'm a tad dissapdisapp but it's not going to ruin the rest of my Saturday...

Just a terrible and dumb rule.
It is a dumb rule but its still a rule we should know not to break. I'm with you, but the penalties are one thing we should be able to clean up quickly.

Uh, and then laid on the ground posing for 10 seconds and had 2 teammates monologuing over him. Why do we look so hard to defend the indefensible?
And who cares... Its not taunting its not impacting the game play 1 bit. Would it matter if they slapped him on the butt after the run? Its a dumb penalty that shouldn't have been called.

These idiots didn't call an intentional grounding (nor illegal man downfield) when the QB threw it away to hs own lineeman.

And who cares... Its not taunting its not impacting the game play 1 bit. Would it matter if they slapped him on the butt after the run? Its a dumb penalty that shouldn't have been called.

These idiots didn't call an intentional grounding (nor illegal man downfield) when the QB threw it away to hs own lineeman.
I care... it cost a good shot at 2 points that changed the way that the remainder of the game was played.

Its called excessive celebration. Been around a long time. And really, the celebration of retaking a lead on EMU in Q4 at home? You should care. This team has a bad habit and has for a few years of overhyping and mean mugging any singular play before and/or after getting punked on so many others. Im about doing the job, keeping traps shut, and getting wins.

Reactions: BoilerAlumni12
Its called excessive celebration. Been around a long time. And really, the celebration of retaking a lead on EMU in Q4 at home? You should care. This team has a bad habit and has for a few years of overhyping and mean mugging any singular play before and/or after getting punked on so many others. Im about doing the job, keeping traps shut, and getting wins.
Right

Why should the game be fun?

Reactions: Mr_Red
Right

Why should the game be fun?
Are you really trying to assert that I think it shouldnt be? How about we score touchdowns and go celebrate on the way to our sideline? Dicking around in and around the endzone for 10-15 seconds has been penalty inducing for, well my whole life.

Just my opinion, if excessive celebration is not taunting the other team, and is not delaying the game in any fashion it should be no harm, no foul. I know the rules are the rules, but excessive celebration should not mean no celebration at all; but apparently to these refs it does. Maybe the rule is written that way, but to me it is silly to allow no emotion. I thought their coach (who we had to look at all afternoon thanks to the BTN cameraman) was working the officials (almost like a basketball coach) (I guess they teach that up in Michigan) and they caved under the pressure. I mean with the game on the line that was a weak call. Probably cost us the game. If anything, excessive celebration should not be a 15 yard penalty. Make the punishment fit the crime or at least allow one warning before assessing the penalty. It should not cost the team a win. It is amazing how much had to go wrong today for us to lose and then it did! We should be 2 and 0, but unfortunately that is not the case.

Reactions: phila
Even tho its only been 2 games, seems we're not getting the benefit of the doubt from ANY of the officials. Makes me wonder if somethings going on we don't see. If the Boilers are being "excessive" on trash talking, CJB needs to get them to shut up or have a seat.

Reactions: FLAG HUNTER
Just my opinion, if excessive celebration is not taunting the other team, and is not delaying the game in any fashion it should be no harm, no foul. I know the rules are the rules, but excessive celebration should not mean no celebration at all; but apparently to these refs it does. Maybe the rule is written that way, but to me it is silly to allow no emotion. I thought their coach (who we had to look at all afternoon thanks to the BTN cameraman) was working the officials (almost like a basketball coach) (I guess they teach that up in Michigan) and they caved under the pressure. I mean with the game on the line that was a weak call. Probably cost us the game. If anything, excessive celebration should not be a 15 yard penalty. Make the punishment fit the crime or at least allow one warning before assessing the penalty. It should not cost the team a win. It is amazing how much had to go wrong today for us to lose and then it did! We should be 2 and 0, but unfortunately that is not the case.

I have watched the replay of the game and I agree with you 100%. It was the worst excessive celebration call I have ever seen. It should never have been called. I, also, thought the call on Jones was very questionable. It looked like his forward momentum caused him to lose his balance as he was getting up. Only he knows his intent.

I personally think the NCAA needs to do away with penalties for celebration. Let it be like the NFL has done recently.

I have watched the replay of the game and I agree with you 100%. It was the worst excessive celebration call I have ever seen. It should never have been called. I, also, thought the call on Jones was very questionable. It looked like his forward momentum caused him to lose his balance as he was getting up. Only he knows his intent.
The Jones call was absolutely the right one. He shoved their QB back down as he was trying to get up. Celebrate the sack with your teammates and leave the opponent alone. Do that and Purdue is 1-1 right now. Two weeks in-a-row of these senseless penalties is unacceptable.

The Jones call was absolutely the right one. He shoved their QB back down as he was trying to get up. Celebrate the sack with your teammates and leave the opponent alone. Do that and Purdue is 1-1 right now. Two weeks in-a-row of these senseless penalties is unacceptable.
I agree it was the right call. But I absolutely believe all he was trying to do was to get back up at the same time the QB was trying to the same. I don't think he was trying push him back down. Watch the replay. But still you have to call it.

It was the right call but can't agree that had he not been flagged that Purdue is 1-1 now. They did not score in the set of downs immediately after the automatic first down. After another sack by Jones where he was not flagged, the defense proceeded to give up a 4th and 15. That is unbelievable and honestly, unacceptable.

I don't disagree. I think the reason it got called was it was basically a 2 part celebration. The first part...ok. Then the second part pushed it.

That being said, you're scoring to barely get ahead of Eastern Michigan....you don't need to go wild. I'd also argue that it's not really a clear "we lost the game" because of it. First off, you have to convert the 2 point conversion which is well under 50% conversion rate in college football......otherwise, it really didn't impact the game.

It was the right call but can't agree that had he not been flagged that Purdue is 1-1 now. They did not score in the set of downs immediately after the automatic first down. After another sack by Jones where he was not flagged, the defense proceeded to give up a 4th and 15. That is unbelievable and honestly, unacceptable.
We hold them without the penalty call and they had 0 TOs left. There wasn’t enough time for them. We’d have run the clock out with the score Purdue 19 EMU 17. We would have been 1-1.

We hold them without the penalty call and they had 0 TOs left. There wasn’t enough time for them. We’d have run the clock out with the score Purdue 19 EMU 17. We would have been 1-1.
Assuming they could hold them on 4th down and long (the sack/penalty was on third down), which they couldn't just a few seconds later. I'm just saying whereas Neal's penalty basically eliminated any chance for Purdue to win that game, Jones' was a setback but Purdue still had a chance to defend their lead and they couldn't do it.

I don't disagree. I think the reason it got called was it was basically a 2 part celebration. The first part...ok. Then the second part pushed it.

That being said, you're scoring to barely get ahead of Eastern Michigan....you don't need to go wild. I'd also argue that it's not really a clear "we lost the game" because of it. First off, you have to convert the 2 point conversion which is well under 50% conversion rate in college football......otherwise, it really didn't impact the game.
Had we gotten the 2 point conversion, I think we would have won the game although maybe in overtime. The way we were running the ball right through them on nearly every running play I think we would have had a much better chance (well above 50%) to get the much needed 2 points. It was a huge call against us. I really feel it cost us the game but several mistakes after that also cost us a chance to win it as well. Only so much can go wrong before it finally turns into a win for your opponent.

Had we gotten the 2 point conversion, I think we would have won the game although maybe in overtime. The way we were running the ball right through them on nearly every running play I think we would have had a much better chance (well above 50%) to get the much needed 2 points. It was a huge call against us. I really feel it cost us the game but several mistakes after that also cost us a chance to win it as well. Only so much can go wrong before it finally turns into a win for your opponent.
Penalties, the the costly timing of them, is what is killing Purdue. Offensive drives by the opponent extended because of penalties were costly the last two weeks but penalties that have killed offensive momentum have been drive killers.

At the end of the day, we were winning after that play. The rest of your post is hypotheticals.

Reactions: BoilerBulldog
The only play that absolutely would’ve won the game for us was the 4th and 15. Stop them there and the personal fouls, the fumbles, missed Fg/pat, etc. all become irrelevant.

Reactions: BoilerMaker P
The only play that absolutely would’ve won the game for us was the 4th and 15. Stop them there and the personal fouls, the fumbles, missed Fg/pat, etc. all become irrelevant.
everyone is looking at the 4th quarter and rightfully so, but the biggest disappointment to me is not giving up 20 points but the fact we could only muster 19. Before the game, I was thinking we would score 35-38 points and that's the biggest letdown.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT