ADVERTISEMENT

Cardiac ladies

illiniboiler

All-American
Jun 26, 2001
Didn't look like that for a while tonight as they seemed to be handling NW well on the road. They didn't do anything wrong, had a lot of wide open shots, but just missed. But again in crunch time they were the better team. Farquar had an incredible 18 rebounds and, a 49% FT shooter, made 2 with 5 secs and sealed it. On to surprising Rutgers on the road. Get that one and they will be ranked. For all you doubters, Versyp can coach, she just, like most coaches, can't get the 5 stars with ND and Louisville sandwiching her. But this team and next year should be good in the BT.

Does anyone know what the team record for rebounds in a game is? 18 is pretty amazing. That young lady must have large strong hands. The ball seems to stick to her hands.

Another great team win. Everyone is contributing...even the role players are stepping up and making plays.

Rutgers is the beginning of a tough stretch that also includes a home date against IU and two road games against currently-ranked opponents Minnesota and Iowa. Get the win at Rutgers and this stretch looks manageable.

Didn't look like that for a while tonight as they seemed to be handling NW well on the road. They didn't do anything wrong, had a lot of wide open shots, but just missed. But again in crunch time they were the better team. Farquar had an incredible 18 rebounds and, a 49% FT shooter, made 2 with 5 secs and sealed it. On to surprising Rutgers on the road. Get that one and they will be ranked. For all you doubters, Versyp can coach, she just, like most coaches, can't get the 5 stars with ND and Louisville sandwiching her. But this team and next year should be good in the BT.
For the record, we used to get the 5 stars before ND. Louisville was not even on the radar. Meanwhile we watch while the situation reverses and we "settle".

Can't disagree with ND passing us by when we were neck and neck nationally, but people keep forgetting the scandal under Curry that cost us 3 5 stars. ND swooped in and we never recovered. That happened before Versyp. Unfortunately, there are only so many big time players to go around and some schools are able to stockpile them. Coach V has gotten some really good players out of Indiana and Georgia, but good and great are two different things. Fans are not content with just good BT showings, evidently. Not sure if a new coach would make a difference but there is no way Versyp is getting fired if she is near the top of the BT and ifour attendance, though down vs the past, still is one of the better crowds in the BT. I think there is a lot of unrealism on this board.

Can't disagree with ND passing us by when we were neck and neck nationally, but people keep forgetting the scandal under Curry that cost us 3 5 stars. ND swooped in and we never recovered. That happened before Versyp. Unfortunately, there are only so many big time players to go around and some schools are able to stockpile them. Coach V has gotten some really good players out of Indiana and Georgia, but good and great are two different things. Fans are not content with just good BT showings, evidently. Not sure if a new coach would make a difference but there is no way Versyp is getting fired if she is near the top of the BT and ifour attendance, though down vs the past, still is one of the better crowds in the BT. I think there is a lot of unrealism on this board.
As I recall, several of the 5 star players were still on the table when SV took over and I believe her quote after meeting with them was something to the effect of "I am not going to beg anyone to come to Purdue". I took it from that statement that things did not go well and the rest became history. SV's statement reminds me of Ray Eddy, a decent coach who had some great players but never could do much better than .500 even with some super stars because he couldn't land a complete team or coach what he had to BT Championships. Jake Eison, Willie Meriweather, Lamar Lundy, and Harvey Austin were about as complete of a team as has existed in Purdue history and he couldn't win the BT with them.

I'm tired of hearing about the duo that went to Xavier and never made a Final Four. They have nothing to do with where we are today and they deserve to be Xavier alumni with all the fame and adulation that comes with it. One class doesn't set a program back a decade. Where we are right now, however you view it, is a reflection of our 13-year head coach.

Reactions: Bigohh
Does anyone know what the team record for rebounds in a game is? 18 is pretty amazing. That young lady must have large strong hands. The ball seems to stick to her hands.

Best ever is 25 by Leslie (Shultz) Plumlee vs Miami OH in 1981.
18 rebounds in a game is T-14th best in Purdue history & T-9th in Purdue history in a B1G game.
If you want a record: It was the most rebounds for a Purdue player against Northwestern.

18 rebounds in a game is T-14th best in Purdue history & T-9th in Purdue history in a B1G game.
If you want a record: It was the most rebounds for a Purdue player against Northwestern.

That’s the Mother of the three 6-11 plus Duke basketball alumni named Plumlee.

I'm tired of hearing about the duo that went to Xavier and never made a Final Four. They have nothing to do with where we are today and they deserve to be Xavier alumni with all the fame and adulation that comes with it. One class doesn't set a program back a decade. Where we are right now, however you view it, is a reflection of our 13-year head coach.
I agree with a lot of what you post, TC4THREE, but if you do not think that that event and the fact we went through 4 head coaches in 10 years has a lot to do with where we are now, I am in surprised disagreement.

Last edited:
Good stuff. I always have trouble finding anything about the team 20 years ago or older. Where do you source that?

I agree with a lot of what you post, TC4THREE, but if you do not think that that event and the fact we went through 4 head coaches in 10 years has a lot to do with where we are now, I am in surprised disagreement.

In my opinion, whatever happened over a decade ago, we've had more than enough time to overcome it. Had they come to Purdue, that's no guarantee of anything. It doesn't mean we go to a Final Four (they didn't at Xavier). It doesn't mean all of a sudden that CSV is able to recruit elite players consistently. Whatever the impact they would have had I doubt lasts 10+ years. The program has had great players and missed on great players in the past. This is no different. We went to the E8 twice in her first 3 seasons as coach so it's not like we hit some tailspin we couldn't recover from.

Listen. I'm pulling for CSV and this team. But I can't pretend that her ability to recruit the class of 2020 is hindered at all by what happened in 2006. It is what it is at this point. Either the results are satisfying to each fan or they aren't. That's an individual call.

In my opinion, whatever happened over a decade ago, we've had more than enough time to overcome it. Had they come to Purdue, that's no guarantee of anything. It doesn't mean we go to a Final Four (they didn't at Xavier). It doesn't mean all of a sudden that CSV is able to recruit elite players consistently. Whatever the impact they would have had I doubt lasts 10+ years. The program has had great players and missed on great players in the past. This is no different. We went to the E8 twice in her first 3 seasons as coach so it's not like we hit some tailspin we couldn't recover from.

Listen. I'm pulling for CSV and this team. But I can't pretend that her ability to recruit the class of 2020 is hindered at all by what happened in 2006. It is what it is at this point. Either the results are satisfying to each fan or they aren't. That's an individual call.

One of my favorite players of any era is Oden.
If she had some real talent around her, everyone would be talking about her. I feel bad for her that she’s stuck with this coach.

One of my favorite players of any era is Oden.
If she had some real talent around her, everyone would be talking about her. I feel bad for her that she’s stuck with this coach.
I think that she has two other great players around her. These three will be listed among Purdue's all time greats!!!

As far as whether the loss of the players when SV arrived still affects recruiting, it was correctly pointed out that at that time Purdue was the place to go. The loss of these players opened the door for Notre Dame to become the place to go and for Louisville to enter the picture. It is much harder, as a result, to convince the best players that Purdue is a better choice than Notre Dame or Louisville than it was when Purdue was at the top--the obvious place to go.

Reactions: DocRon and kmot
Walt V-- that is what I have been trying to say, but most can't hear it. The top players available are so limited that when Purdue dipped due to the scandal, ND moved in and grabbed the brass ring. Hard to recruit against a perennial top 5, at least, team in a state and nation that only has a few WNBA type players. Louisville is a different story like Miss state. They built themselves up, but they are not really in Purdue's area. Ky is another example.
By the way, Md seems to have the shine coming off of them. They got beaten at home by Rutgers worse than we lost to Rut and MSU blasted MD last night. Maybe soon there will be no national teams in the BT??

I think that she has two other great players around her. These three will be listed among Purdue's all time greats!!!

As far as whether the loss of the players when SV arrived still affects recruiting, it was correctly pointed out that at that time Purdue was the place to go. The loss of these players opened the door for Notre Dame to become the place to go and for Louisville to enter the picture. It is much harder, as a result, to convince the best players that Purdue is a better choice than Notre Dame or Louisville than it was when Purdue was at the top--the obvious place to go.
This is a great summary of the events leading to our drop.

And let's face it--they win enough that most AD's would not fire a non revenue sports coach. I still think if we had beat ND in 2001 the last few years would have been much different.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT