ADVERTISEMENT

Can we win the West title this year?

KentuckyBoiler

All-American
Jul 6, 2011
We have a more favorable schedule than what we have had for a while. Wisconsin will obviously be the favorite this year again to win the West division, but could this be the year that we turn it around and challenge for the West Title?

We do have to go to Wisconsin this year. We also have to go to Minnesota, where we got robbed a couple of years ago. However, we have one of the Big Ten's best QBs. Our OL should be the best that we have had for a while. We don't have a true #1 WR this year, which is different for us, because it has been Moore or Bell over the last 4 years. I know people will say Thompson, but he is coming off knee surgery, so it could take him a while to get back into the swing of it. We do have exciting transfers to work with. a couple from our most hated rival. Our running game will not be a strength, but it has to be better than what it has been.

We did lose Karlaftis, so our top QB rusher is gone. However, the secondary has more experience on it than we have had for a while. It would be nice to have Trice back to full strength after losing him for the 2021 season. I have not heard how he is progressing. Anyone heard anything? Even though we don't have Karlaftis, our DL should be more experienced and have more depth than we have had for a while too. LB still has a few question marks on it, but I think we can get those figured out.

Barring injuries, which of course can affect any team, I think we have a legitimate shot this year of breaking through in representing the West in the BT Title game. It really come down to whether we can finally break "The Curse" that has gone on for way too many years.

Thoughts BoilerNation?

Boiler Up!

And the answer…yes…probably our best and maybe last chance to win it. Not better than PSU on paper but look at us last year and look at them and their QB struggles…that game is winnable. Iowa, Nebraska and PSU at home. Weaker OOC schedule.

I think OL is the biggest question mark. If they are at least as good as last year we could be pretty good.

RB situation best it’s been in years.

Might have the 2 best TE in conference.

WR has a lot of talent…lots of guys who have played well but have been injury riddled. Yaseen and Rice will be great if healthy. Same with Thompson. Iowa kids will play a ton if others don’t. Kids have to step up but there’s a ton of talent there. Sheffield can play but may not be 100% yet off the ACL.

Defense loses a 1st round, All- American but gets 3-4 deeper on the DL. Out of the 12 or so guys we can play I think we find 7-9 and roll with those all year and have some success. LB is the teams biggest question mark..but we’ll likely play KD, Semisi, Brothers and mix in a few guys at the spot and be about the same as last year.

Even after losing Grant, should be pretty good in defensive backfield with Allen and Graham back. I’m bullish on the other DBs. Trice and Brown, the kid from IU and a few other transfers who look like they can play.

Much better prepared to weather the injury bug all over the field (maybe except LB, OL) than we have ever been.

On paper, this is an 8-9 win team. 10 or better if we get the bounces

I can see Purdue win 9 games this regular season if focused. I can also see a 7 win team if they drop some against the likes of Illinois, Nebraska, NW or MN.
IA is a toss up though we’ve had Ferentz’s # and truthfully so is MN as they have had our #. WI will be hard to beat on the road.
Beat PSU which can be done since they are on the road in a big night game matchup. Coach Franklin’s last few years have not been stellar either so they are ripe for an early season loss.
Lose that game and 7 wins is more likely a reality. Game 1 sets the tone for the season and I feel better about it than most other season’s first games due to experience of both players and coaches.

Last edited:
With the schedule firm, I don’t think they can make the change at this point. I do think as soon as 2023 divisions are a thing of the past.
I don't think they WILL. But they easily COULD at any point simply change the rules to say that the two teams that finish with the best record will play in the BTCG - no schedule changes required. We are talking about a conference that made up a new rule mid season to ensure Ohio State would get in.

To the original question, they need to show me they can beat Wisconsin before I enter this conversation.

I don't think they WILL. But they easily COULD at any point simply change the rules to say that the two teams that finish with the best record will play in the BTCG - no schedule changes required. We are talking about a conference that made up a new rule mid season to ensure Ohio State would get in.

To the original question, they need to show me they can beat Wisconsin before I enter this conversation.
No, they won’t change the rules during the season barring another massive Covid outbreak. If the do away with divisions, it wouldn’t kick in until the 2023 season.

Reactions: pboiler18
We have a more favorable schedule than what we have had for a while. Wisconsin will obviously be the favorite this year again to win the West division, but could this be the year that we turn it around and challenge for the West Title?

We do have to go to Wisconsin this year. We also have to go to Minnesota, where we got robbed a couple of years ago. However, we have one of the Big Ten's best QBs. Our OL should be the best that we have had for a while. We don't have a true #1 WR this year, which is different for us, because it has been Moore or Bell over the last 4 years. I know people will say Thompson, but he is coming off knee surgery, so it could take him a while to get back into the swing of it. We do have exciting transfers to work with. a couple from our most hated rival. Our running game will not be a strength, but it has to be better than what it has been.

We did lose Karlaftis, so our top QB rusher is gone. However, the secondary has more experience on it than we have had for a while. It would be nice to have Trice back to full strength after losing him for the 2021 season. I have not heard how he is progressing. Anyone heard anything? Even though we don't have Karlaftis, our DL should be more experienced and have more depth than we have had for a while too. LB still has a few question marks on it, but I think we can get those figured out.

Barring injuries, which of course can affect any team, I think we have a legitimate shot this year of breaking through in representing the West in the BT Title game. It really come down to whether we can finally break "The Curse" that has gone on for way too many years.

Thoughts BoilerNation?

Boiler Up!
Yes, Purdue can. We will have to beat Wisconsin and/or Minnesota to do it.

I would say no. I believe we have a lot better depth, but unlike last year I do not believe we will be surprising teams. Iowa will want to beat us! PSU and UW will both be tough games. I expect wins over nw, Minn and Illinois

I would say no. I believe we have a lot better depth, but unlike last year I do not believe we will be surprising teams. Iowa will want to beat us! PSU and UW will both be tough games. I expect wins over nw, Minn and Illinois
Brohm basically owns Iowa. Purdue is 4-1 vs Ferentz in Brohm’s tenure.

We play Iowa every year. You think they were surprised?
Actually I do. We were coming off several bad years in a row and I don’t believe Iowa really took us seriously last year! I don’t think they prepared hard enough and kind of thought we’d be an easy victory and we surprised them last year. Looking at the team rankings, Purdue surprised a lot of people with last year’s performance! That’s why I say this year teams will be taking us seriously and pointing to last year’s loss. We’ve had great success against Iowa, but our wins have always been called an upset! It’s not like we’ve ever gone into that game as the favorite despite our past success! I like surprises except when they are losses to MAC teams!

Reactions: indyogb
Actually I do. We were coming off several bad years in a row and I don’t believe Iowa really took us seriously last year! I don’t think they prepared hard enough and kind of thought we’d be an easy victory and we surprised them last year. Looking at the team rankings, Purdue surprised a lot of people with last year’s performance! That’s why I say this year teams will be taking us seriously and pointing to last year’s loss. We’ve had great success against Iowa, but our wins have always been called an upset! It’s not like we’ve ever gone into that game as the favorite despite our past success! I like surprises except when they are losses to MAC teams!
Brohm was 2-1 against Iowa goi bf into that game. The only year we didn’t beat them was the year we were young and decimated by injury.

ferentz isn’t a dummy. We just match up well against them

Brohm was 2-1 against Iowa goi bf into that game. The only year we didn’t beat them was the year we were young and decimated by injury.

Agreed. Iowa has trouble with Brohm’s offensive scheme. We usually have good passing games vs. Iowa’s defense.

Plus....they are THE MOST HATED RIVAL!

I'm guessing nobody was happier to see David Bell move on to the NFL than Ferentz.

omhr1984.0.jpg

Agreed. Iowa has trouble with Brohm’s offensive scheme. We usually have good passing games vs. Iowa’s defense.
Iowa doesn’t dedicate itself to the run like WI and MN. And with Spencer Petras, that’s a good thing

I can see Purdue win 9 games this regular season if focused. I can also see a 7 win team if they drop some against the likes of Illinois, Nebraska, NW or MN.
IA is a toss up though we’ve had Ferentz’s # and truthfully so is MN as they have had our #. WI will be hard to beat on the road.
Beat PSU which can be done since they are on the road in a big night game matchup. Coach Franklin’s last few years have not been stellar either so they are ripe for an early season loss.
Lose that game and 7 wins is more likely a reality. Game 1 sets the tone for the season and I feel better about it than most other season’s first games due to experience of both players and coaches.

.500 James Franklin has been lately.

Purdue has a reasonable shot and it all starts at QB. PU has one of the top returning QBs in CF - enough said.

But if you look at the crossover games, Wisky and Iowa both have to go into Ohio Stadium this year - needless to say good effing luck with that as many "experts" are saying this will be OSU's most talented team since the 2014 NC team. Plus, that is one POd football team after not winning the B1G last year. Purdue's crossover games are PSU, Indiana, and Maryland - all winnable games.

If not this year, it might NEVER happen.

Carpe Diem boys!
Agreed.. I’m very bullish on this year. The more I read about our opponents difficulties .. the more this doesn’t seem like a typical penn state, Wisconsin OR Minnesota team.. the more I think this year COULD be special. Biggest opponent might be ourselves?

Agreed.. I’m very bullish on this year. The more I read about our opponents difficulties .. the more this doesn’t seem like a typical penn state, Wisconsin OR Minnesota team.. the more I think this year COULD be special. Biggest opponent might be ourselves?
Simply not beating ourselves would mean 8 wins no problem IMO

Reactions: BCfanatic2020
Purdue has a reasonable shot and it all starts at QB. PU has one of the top returning QBs in CF - enough said.

But if you look at the crossover games, Wisky and Iowa both have to go into Ohio Stadium this year - needless to say good effing luck with that as many "experts" are saying this will be OSU's most talented team since the 2014 NC team. Plus, that is one POd football team after not winning the B1G last year. Purdue's crossover games are PSU, Indiana, and Maryland - all winnable games.
2019 OSU team would smoke the 2014 team

2019 OSU team would smoke the 2014 team
Possibly, but the problem with the last few OSU teams is not their offenses - it's been their PUTRID defenses. The 2022 OSU offense is largely being projected as being the best in the country. That will be a very scary team if their new defensive staff (minus holdover Larry Johnson) can even field an average defense in 2022

Possibly, but the problem with the last few OSU teams is not their offenses - it's been their PUTRID defenses. The 2022 OSU offense is largely being projected as being the best in the country. That will be a very scary team if their new defensive staff (minus holdover Larry Johnson) can even field an average defense in 2022
Look at what the new Ohio State DC did at OK ST. They will be much improved this year. OK ST had pretty bad defenses until he went there. They became one of best defenses in the Big XII.

Look at what the new Ohio State DC did at OK ST. They will be much improved this year. OK ST had pretty bad defenses until he went there. They became one of best defenses in the Big XII.
I understand what you're saying but I'm still in a "wait and see mode" with the OSU defense. Even if it's just average at best, I still think they crush both Iowa and Wisky in Ohio Stadium

I understand what you're saying but I'm still in a "wait and see mode" with the OSU defense. Even if it's just average at best, I still think they crush both Iowa and Wisky in Ohio Stadium
Just adding this new DC and his scheme makes OSU national title contenders this year, IMHO. OSU has the talent on offense and defense to win it all. Day was smart to make this change on the defensive side. You’re going to see OSU be more attacking and physical on D than they have been the last few years. They will not give up as many points or get burned on as many big plays.

Just adding this new DC and his scheme makes OSU national title contenders this year, IMHO. OSU has the talent on offense and defense to win it all. Day was smart to make this change on the defensive side. You’re going to see OSU be more attacking and physical on D than they have been the last few years. They will not give up as many points or get burned on as many big plays.
Their linebackers are bad (for them) and they dont have a true difference maker at end.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT